Are the Yea Forumsntrarians ever right about ... anything?

>“The Lion King” will record the second-best opening of 2019 — and could replace “Incredibles 2,” which launched last year with $182.7 million, as the ninth biggest North American launch of all time.

>The film is outperforming pre-release forecasts, which had been in the $150 million to $180 million range at a record 4,725 domestic locations. Disney reported that “The Lion King” delivered a massive $78.5 million opening day domestically, becoming the 10th highest opening day in industry history.

>Though critics were mixed with a 56% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, moviegoers gave “The Lion King” an A CinemaScore. Disney issued a $175 million forecast for the weekend while other estimates placed the tentpole at $188 million.

variety.com/2019/film/box-office/lion-king-opening-weekend-box-office-spider-man-1203274296/

Attached: co BTFO yet again.jpg (610x780, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/co/thread/108647025/#108647025
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
screenrant.com/lion-king-2019-budget-cast/
youtube.com/watch?v=5YjGrZYRAtc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

In other news, normies are retarded.

For the millionth time
Just because a movie makes a lot of money doesn’t mean it’s good, watching the new lion king movie is as entertaining as watching two cats fuck in the street

The obsession the mouthbreathing public has with soulless Disney shit is really mystifying to me.

>soulless leftovers sells to the masses
you really think audience standards are that high when the mcu is the biggest film franchise ever?

>normies are retarded.
So were the critics and RT in general right up until they fit the narrative, senpai.

The voice acting was horrendous in this pile of shit.

>tfw Aladdin's remake will break 1 billion
>live action Return of Jafar incoming
>Yea Forums on suicide watch

Attached: Aladdin (2019).jpg (792x635, 90K)

>down to 3rd place

Attached: poor-carol.png (212x889, 358K)

You couldn't pay Me to see this.

this might be an all time low for society

Why do you care so much?

And that's really all Disney cares about. Not so much making good movies but making as much money as possible. Sucks that Favreau was directing it, you'd think he'd push for more than a 1:1 adaptation that's universally seen as inferior to the original.

The fact that Yea Forums couldn't predict a fucking sunrise if their lives depended on it is frankly astounding

Disney has literally created a narrative in which they can do no wrong.

I didnt go so i didnt contribute.

For every shitty Disney remake we'll have another Peanuts movie, Into the Spider-verse etc. So don't lose hope.

>Disney has literally created a narrative in which they can do no wrong.
Dumbo would like a word with you.

Hunger Games succeeded at the box office too

Am I supposed to be impressed that the wealthiest company on the planet remade one of their most successful films in soulless CGI and made money off of nostalgia

Really doubt Alladin will reach 1B. Will come close though

Newsflash:. The average person likes shit

Long Live The King

I'll tell you something that everyone in the film industry, unlike you, already knows: box office returns correlate with marketing. Not with how much money was spent on the movie itself, not with some abstract and hard to define metric like "quality", it's all about aggressive repeated media exposure. Marketing isn't an expensive scam, it works. This fact has been extensively researched and documented, and its effects can be continuously observed by literally anyone.

Attached: Disney targets the consumer.jpg (614x416, 17K)

goddamn do i loathe normies

This is why direct democracy is a dangerous. Fortunately I knew this would happen.

Everyone knew this would happen, we just hoped it wouldn't.

everyone said this was going to be hit. it was aladdin that was suppose to flop

>The Nutcracker and the Four Realms flopped because Disney didn't advertise it enough
You sweet summer child.

Bullshit dumbass

You retards were CONVINCED this would flop because of the CGI, poor reviews and Spiderman

>everyone said this was going to be hit.
user ...
boards.fireden.net/co/thread/108647025/#108647025

>it's not shit, look at how obedients our slaves are
Literally going full corporate fashism now. What a "fanbase" the mouse has built.

Not really. Ever. That said, the movie itself isn’t great either.

Sure could pay me.
Like about 20k on my account would sure look like a great movie to me.

God dammit

Attached: Dp1q0zEWwAEunFq.jpg (1024x648, 78K)

Disney sacrificed it for some arcane reason, it released on the same day as Bohemian Rhapsody. You also can't seriously argue that The Nutcracker was pushed as hard as Lion King was, it had nowhere near as much media visibility or hype behind it.

Pretty sure I didn't even know Nutcracker existed until like a week before it came out.

>NOOOOOOO WHY IS DISNEY ALWAYS SUCCESSFUL NO MATTER WHAT? IT MUST BE THOSE STUPID ZOOMER NORMIES

Attached: 1484398862499.png (1000x893, 39K)

>full corporate fashism
Ur doin' it wrong:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

>Yea Forums trying to deflect onto Yea Forums, again, about being wrong, despite the constant shitposting threads say that the movie would fail

Didn't you Yea Forumstards try doing this with Aladdin, and now it's currently at $950M? Didn't Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Infinity War, and, soon enough, Endgame teach you retards some humility?

>it released on the same day as Bohemian Rhapsody
Yes ... because those two movies were totally going for the same audience.

Attached: hello, fellow kids.jpg (181x331, 18K)

>Didn't you Yea Forumstards try doing this with Aladdin
And Spider-Man.
And Spider-Verse.
And Spider-Man ( again ).

>Spider-Flop! Spider-Flop! Spider ... oh.

how much did it cost to make and advertise

Aladdin, Captain Marvel, pretty much every MCU movie, Shazam, probably Joker when it bombs

Really if it is any way Yea Forums related they'll try and do this

Expected nothing less from the proles.

Attached: 1486046104664.png (508x328, 144K)

>>“The Lion King” will record the second-best opening of 2019

Attached: everything the light touches will be yours to rule.jpg (780x520, 64K)

275 million to make, advertising I have no idea. It needs to make over a billion or Disney will scale down future movies. They're not going to stop with remakes, though, unless they're beaten at the box office by other movies

>people defending Lion King just to dab on Yea Forums

they're trying to buy out all their competition so they don't have to try anymore

You know all the young children are going to go watch this shit regardless of it's quality.

>275 million to make
You're not even trying:
>Production Budget $183 million

They don't have anywhere near that kind of money to even attempt it

Who was the 'intended' audience for The Nutcracker, to begin with?

well ya they're bleeding a lot of money

Not nearly as much as everyone else

It doesn't help that they create the exact same fucking thread in their little Valley of Defilement and crosspost into the threads they create here in order to false flag the general sentiment of something, attempting to give the impression that Yea Forums originated or shares their opinion in order to lend credence to their own shitty opinions.

The original question was about Lion King's budget, which is being reported as being around 260 million by every site that actually provides a figure. The 183 million is Aladdin's budget.

>how much did it cost to make and advertise
No idea on the ads, production though:

>The reported budget for The Lion King is around $260 million. This makes it the most expensive of the modern live-action Disney re-imaginings by far. As a comparison, Favreau's The Jungle Book cost $175 million to make. This year's other Disney re-imaginings, Dumbo and Aladdin, cost $170 million and $183 million, respectively.

>
>It needs to make over a billion
I know you're just trolling, but:

>Going by the general rule of thumb, The Lion King would need to gross approximately $520 million just to break even.

Sauce:
screenrant.com/lion-king-2019-budget-cast/

We all knew it was going to make a lot of money regardless of how bad it was and is.

>Who was the 'intended' audience for The Nutcracker, to begin with?
I'd assume the same as for Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella?

My only question is why they pushed it out in October when it's set on fucking X-Mas Eve?

>ruling box office
>roaring past box office
>paws its way up box office
>some fucking pun box office
Can we end this meme?

I don't think it will make $520 million. Usually movies make most of their money in the first week.

>The original question was about Lion King's budget
Shit, you're right, user. I dun fucked up.

Young children aren't the ones paying for tickets.

Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella are remakes of well known full lenght animated features with continued merchandising. The Nutcracker 2018 never had that.

but they're the reason the adults buy the tickets
you know what he meant you smart ass

People don't make movies to break even.

But how will i make my news titles entertaining?!

I've never fucking understood this. When I'm a parent you'd better believe I'm not going to take my children to whatever shit movie is playing just because I need to entertain them for a few hours. I'm going to read the reviews and read the audience reactions and make informed decisions about what movies we see. If I were a parent right now, I wouldn't take them to see this garbage remake, and if they REALLY want to see the Lion King I'll just put the original one on the TV.

Attached: efd.jpg (403x392, 40K)

It didn't release in December because Disney had another movie, Mary Poppins Returns, set to release there.

The Simpsons movie was the last 2D animation movie which was popular among normies.

>It needs to make over a billion or Disney will scale down future movies.
Doubtful. Dubiousness of the movie itself as a remake aside it's an amazing tech demo on par with something like Avatar: they filmed the whole thing on 'virtual sets' where they could block shots in realtime like you would on a traditional soundstage rather then the usual storyboard -> animatic -> full animation workflo.

That's why they've been calling this 'live action' even though the entire thing is CGI: it's really NOT 'animated' in the traditional use of the term and is much closer to something like Avengers than something like, well, The Lion King ( cartoon ).

I'm sure they're keeping a sharp eye on what works: Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book did very well while Dumbo ... didn't.

Kids will keep on bugging their parents until they take them. Also most people are shit parents

>implying incel-kun will ever get the chance to breed

Both of those sentences are wrong.

please tell me why

First off, it’s already made over 200 million internationally, second off, and his movie will need to have a terrible multiplier for it not to hit a billion if the estimates for this weekend hold, which doesn’t seem likely since audiences have it an “A” according to cinema score, which is a good indicator for a movies legs. And movies making most of their money on their opening weekend is flat-out untrue. Yes, that’s where the highest weekend total will be, but the opening weekend usually accounts for only about 40% or less of total gross.

You won't, understand as a parent your needs and wants are trumped by your child's. You'll want to spend as much time with them as possible even if it is some shitty movie because life goes by fast

Were people saying it would flop? Most people are just saying it looks shitty.

I knew it'd make money I just also knew it'd be shit.
I was hoping maybe it'd drop off the first weekend but while critics are shitting on it it looks like the movie going public isn't. Honestly I'm still surprised at how much Aladdin made.

>Were people saying it would flop?
Yeah, they were pretty much dancing like a little kid who needed to pee really badly when the first reviews came out dumping on it.

Same as with Deadpool and Venom.

All the critics are shills and Rottentomatoes is owned by The Mouse ( even though it's literally owned by Time-Warner ) unless the reviews fit the preferred narrative, dontchaknow?

I want to raise good children whose minds aren't rotted by trash media, so no, I will not take them to see whatever movie they want. Sometimes you have to be firm with children, you can't just let them boss you around.

Return of Jafar is a turd so a remake might actually make it better.

I keep saying that the real trouble is that Disney keeps remaking films that are beloved classics and the remakes can't live up to it. When they remake crap like The Jungle Book people actually like it because nobody ever thought the original was a flawless diamond to begin with.

>I have no idea what I’m talking about, but please let me keep talking..

>I'm still surprised at how much Aladdin made.
Ever seen a Bollywood movie?
It didn't do gangbusters in the states:
Domestic: $337,351,714 34.9%
+ Foreign: $629,749,425 65.1%

>When they remake crap like The Jungle Book
The pleb is strong with this one.

>I want to raise good children whose minds aren't rotted by trash media
>user posted on the chins
Please, for the love of all that is holy, let this be trolling ...

Just tell them you don't have the money and that's that. Are all Americans that shit at parenting?

It's not very good. It's a shame that some of Disney's best animators were hitting the peak of their skills during a time when the budgets were getting crunched and the stories were going down the toilet. Milt Kahl's abilities were wasted on so much trash.

I think no one thought that it will flop.
Ameicans are too brainwashed by mouse at this point. They'll consume ANYTHING from this studio even if it's 2 hour long shot of farting ass. I think we're witness death of the animation and cinema itself. And you're all was part of this. Shame on you, faggots.

>advertising I have no idea
It had to have been a small fortune in itself. I've seen this film nonstop advertised everywhere: TV, my phone, internet ads, buses, billboards, tie ins with celebrities, tie ins with the fucking royal family...you name it, they exploited it to advertise it. I wouldn't be surprised if their advertising budget was close to if not equal to the production budget.

>Ameicans are too brainwashed by mouse at this point. They'll consume ANYTHING from this studio
Meanwhile, back in reality ( the numbers are the reported LOSSES ):
A Wrinkle in Time (Disney): -$130.6 million
Solo: A Star Wars Story (Disney): -$76.9 million
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (Disney): -$65.8 million

Also:
>Aladdin made:
>Domestic: $337,351,714 34.9%
>+ Foreign: $629,749,425 65.1%
And I'll add:
Beauty and the Beast (2017)
Domestic: $504,014,165 39.9%
+ Foreign: $759,506,961 60.1%

Avengers:Endgame
Domestic: $853,384,193 30.7%
+ Foreign: $1,929,600,000 69.3%

The Lion King (2019) so far:
Domestic: $78,520,000 29.0%
+ Foreign: $192,000,000 71.0%

true. but let's not pretend that the reason they're making these is to masturbate people's nostalgia for cash.

Thanks for proving my point. US alone has almost as big numbers as the whole world combine including China which are also have no taste at all.

foreign revenues are way more taxed than domestic. you can immediately remove 20% for the VAT in any european country

The absolute state of fa/tv/irgins!

Attached: luke.jpg (600x394, 57K)

No need to be mad, uscuck. Your country haven't produced decent animation in years anyway.

>Though critics were mixed with a 56% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

but Yea Forums told me Disney was paying off movie critics?

Who the fuck on Yea Forums besides a few deranged Yea Forumsermin thought this was bomb? Yea Forums was saying it was going to be shit, and it is shit. Profits do not equal quality, faggot OP.

*YAWN!* Disney...
nice thread.

>young children
you mean
>40yearold women
>every 24+ normie

You need to stop playing retard, mouseshill.
It's been said thousand times that your master pays only for SW and Marvel reviews because it's big franchises and not allowed to criticise. Other ones are getting a bit trashed to not look suspicious but still remain around 50-60% if necessary for profit.

I fucking hate the human race.

Attached: 1563582750674.png (913x885, 174K)

>people going to a movie to get some entertainment and/or fulfill some sense of nostalgia provokes this strong of a reaction

Just say you don't like the movie, but don't be a queen about it.

how pathetic must one be to get happy over the Lion King remake making money

Attached: blacked2.jpg (642x603, 58K)

These people are fucking sheep, and Disney is getting away with it.

Attached: B56EB912-5B4A-4A58-831E-2A7F97A4D7DD.jpg (674x242, 59K)

Just because retards want to see a poorly animated piece of Giraffe poop (no seriously, that is real) then go ahead.

>When I'm a parent

Attached: 1521831229827.jpg (258x544, 32K)

There's a very good chance that Disney might have the 6 of the 7 highest grossing movies of 2019, all 7 if you include Far From Home.

How can other studios even compete?. They are on a trajectory to make 8 billion in grosses from just 6 films.

Attached: 1420894043723.png (536x468, 256K)

Also, no other studio's film (except Sony's MCU entry) has even reached half of Captain Marvel's grosses.

a Disney live-action make money. wow, is a surprise.

no the problem is that the charm of old Disney movies is the fantastic hand-drawn animation, the writing and the (voice) actors

none of these are in the remakes

Really, some of their worst money-losers have been live-action.
It's their animated features that are almost guaranteed bank. Also, this is an animated movie, absolutely nothing in it is "live-action".

you're a fucking liar. why are you even trying to defend anonymous people on an anonymous imageboard?

We all knew it would make money. I'm actually surprised it didn't open to over 200mil

Mousedrones here don't care about that. Only $$$

>probably Joker when it bombs
Joker isn't going to bomb

>the non-cannon Joker movie that doesn't have Robbie in it isn't going to bomb
youtube.com/watch?v=5YjGrZYRAtc

Attached: bender.gif (288x198, 1.45M)

Caring about American media is a mistake. The masses, especially around the world, only want our trash spectaculars. Just care about something else

No critics are also always retarded. Just a different kind of retarded.

33 million is a lot my dude

The contrarians are the ones going to see it so they can blog about how much they hate it.

How much did it cost, though?
That's what ladderfaggots always forget is that the reason Disney movies do so well is because they're marketed out the ass. It's the Transformers effect: People will go see it if you put transformers on their Mcdonalds cup.

So how much did it make minus the marketing costs?

Yeah, but I can't jack off to "The Lion King" in public, now, can I?

What was Dumbo's losses?

Destroy yourself bot

Not with that attitude you can't.

I've just got one question about this shit. When will this end? I'm just so tired of this shit. What would it take for Disney to implode on itself?

Attached: d90.png (644x800, 15K)

The entire entertaiment media field would have to implode, since Disney is already partially synonymous with it.

We will all suffer for the sins of the normies.

Yeah okay

I look forward to your "I-It only bombed because of poor marketing" posts that you losers love to do when your shitty movies fail

>checked out studio releases lifeless CGI remake of 25 year old classic and will make a gazillion dollars
>right before the release, a studio that cared more about animation gets torched by a loon and will be lucky to survive even with a fundraiser going past one million USD
Why

Attached: 1471111306846.jpg (500x441, 9K)

>Are the Yea Forumsntrarians ever right about ... anything?
We literally were, we told you normies were going to eat this shit up despite it being reviewed poorly

Keep sucking more mousecock, Faggot

I'm pretty sure nobody said it wouldn't be making a lot of money, many are saying shit looks like garbage.

>life is hard in 2019
ADULTING IS SO HARD BROS

Joker was very cheap. It's not going to bomb

It's called money laundering kids, look up how this works.

I think I cracked the code. It pretty much boils down to merchandising. Since, historically, every modern Disney live-action movie pretty much fails or doesn't do much in profits, they don't bother paying the reviewers. That extends to Live-Action remakes, notice most merchandise is tied to the original Animated version, noticiably Aladdin and The Lion King.
However, when it comes down to Marvel and new Animated movies, those pretty much get very positive scores. Why? Because here's where the money lies in merchandising, home media and potential new IP, gotta pay those critics.
Star Wars used to be like that, and probably Episode 9 will get good reviews, but since The Last Jedi didn't do as well as expected, plus the massive backlash to the film (Jumanji 2 almost made a billion thanks to that), merchandise is still on shelves and Solo was sent to die, they didn't even paid the critics that time. The only exception so far seems to be the Good Dinosaur but from everything I've seen, it seems like Disney didn't care about that movie.

this is pretty low even for audiences.

wrong. as soon as the teaser came out everyone said it was going to be huge.

>family movie Yea Forums and incels hate earned a shit ton of money

Attached: 1530666120857.jpg (600x600, 67K)

I mean I'm not that guy but you know what they say about a broken clock

I never thought I would use soulless unironically but HOLY SHIT.

Not only that but the voice acting was fucking cancer to the ears, save for James Earl Jones.

Yes?

This is exactly what we said would happen.

That this was fucking worthless garbage, and because of that it will make more money then god.

That's how it ALWAYS happens. We KNOW exactly how much money any movie is going to make by how bad it is. Interesting, creative and inventive ideas in animation and labors of love and care will ALWAYS make -5 billion dollars while soulless, cookiecutter mystery meat movies will make more money then you could ever dream of.

Fictional, fluffed up numbers.

What point are you making? I scrolled through the first couple of comments and it's full of Yea Forums saying it's going to make a ton of money.

Pointing out the shitty reviews isn't saying it's going to bomb at the box office. The general Yea Forums consensus seems to have been
>"this movie is going to be shit but still make tons of money because of braindead normies"

Shilling for corrupt corporations IS the contrarian way.

We hate you too Boco, instinctively.

>it made lots of money, therefore it's good
is this the only ammo disneyshills have?

Well then, how's the house hunting going, user?

Attached: get a load of this guy cam.jpg (515x400, 170K)

Don't tell Carolfags that.

Peanuts bombed. I'll never see another one.

Attached: conniptions.png (1200x1200, 882K)