Why yes I do own the bionicle comics I stopped my subscription to lego magazine after it ended

>why yes I do own the bionicle comics I stopped my subscription to lego magazine after it ended

Attached: IMG_4116.jpg (752x1024, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vLSNh5CQKRA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Brutaka is the chad of bionicle.

You made this thread on Yea Forums yesterday fag

BASED and Bioniclepilled

Attached: 164F1226-16DA-4EC4-A409-F9D969DAA346.jpg (867x614, 73K)

This is my favorite gigachad yet

is this a kaita

those were the only comics I had growing up due to being a poorfag

Oh hey, a Bionicle thread. I was thinking earlier today about how the story could be considered somewhat cyberpunk, at least in terms of the use of augmentative technology (specifically the masks and their powers).

Which one are you?

Attached: toachart.png (592x1137, 227K)

g2 fucked it up with the most incompetent team of all time

red toa is the story of how i founded and ended my school's anime club

Full story?

Attached: onua.jpg (556x600, 67K)

Started as Kopaka, now I'm Onua
I'm slowly becoming Pohatu though

Toa Kaita Cha'ad

And now our best hope of getting anything Bionicle-like in the foreseeable future is a nondescript Rebel Nature offshoot.

The best chance we get with Bionicle now is written literature

>All serials are pretty much dead
>Velika's plot in an eternal cliffhanger
And the cherry on top is that Lego is now too busy making licensed shit instead of making their own stuff

LEGO's dislike for Bionicle is amazing

I never knew much about the bionicles.
What’s it about and why did Lego kill it?

because lego is autistic about anything that doesn't fit into "the system"

hidden side is the best new theme lego is making and something called 'leaf' is being made. might be like bionicle

>We will never get a new comic series with the art quality of the originals

It hurts... Kill me bros.

Attached: 1552197327582.jpg (1024x850, 120K)

>What’s it about
On the surface, colorful robots fighting other colorful robots and searching for MacGuffins by controlling the elements and weird mask powers. On a deeper level, a science fantasy story about artificial people discovering they're the biological components of their dying god who is actually a space vessel, and their religion and myths are actually big misunderstandings.
>why did Lego kill it?
Cuz they're a bunch of hacks who can't run a franchise unless they get lucky by hiring just the right people. They don't see beyond Bionicle's surface level and don't understand how the writers made it work. And they hate non-traditional Lego toys and deny them the monetary support they need. They'd rather buy up any licence they can get and be the bitch of big corporations.

Cancer treatment allegory lol

>why did Lego kill it?
Because they don't want to admit that Bionicle is the sole reason why LEGO still exists today

Summoning Capslockfag, get in here and educate this nigga

But long story short, a giant hollow robot full of little robots crashed on a water planet. The big robots face eventually got covered with dirt and became an island, and after some shenanigans inside the big robot between Robot Satan and the little robots, the little robots came out to the surface of the island, lost their memories (except for the elders) and developed into kind of a Polynesian style tribal society divided by elemental affinity such as stone, ice etc.

And then a bunch of crazy shit happened, but long story short, heroes inside canisters were summoned to stop Satan and the story escalated from there.

Oh. And the heroes got to have cool magic masks and command elements. But they had a hard time working as a team. Rinse and repeat the oddball formula for a few years and Lego fell ass backward into a really good, fun original franchise.

I swear this thread was just on Yea Forums a few hours ago, I even went to go dig out my old box of bonkle shit after being reminded they still exist.
I found some kind of cart+rider+beast thing still in the plastic bags unassembled, so tonight I'm building that.

Everybody post your favorite comic book covers

Mine is this one because Cahdok (or possibly Gahdok, I forget which one was what color) just looks annoyed as shit.

>REEEEE GET OUT OF MY BOHROK HIVE YOU GOLDEN MASKED FUCK

Attached: 1074931.jpg (600x939, 150K)

Well this is interesting. So these bionicle guys are like pieces of a space alien and evolved on a new planet? Did the big guy wake up or did anything in the series? Also how did the story end (before being shut down by Lego)?
Explain? Were Lego in trouble before bionicle?

Bionicle was great because if you just waited long enough, eventually it had every possible kind of bad guy imaginable.

>Cancer demon villain
>Cyborg bug swarms
>Just a straight up plant
>Soulless automaton police who can mind control you into obedience
>Cancer demon but shapeshifted into an old man, also he has a bird with chainsaws for wings
>Another cyborg bug swarm but different
>Sexy lizard robot queen and warlike robot king with gasmask
>Cyborg pirate ogres, one of which can turn into a swarm of nanobots
>A giant gladiator robot on rollerskates
>Whatever the fuck Botar was supposed to be
>A robot boggart that feeds on fear
>Shadow demons who can shoot leeches that suck out your soul
>Mad Max style reaver robots
>Regular robots that devolved into scorpion people
>Motherfucking cancer demon again but this time he's a 10 mile high Rock em Sock 'em Robot

Am I forgetting any?

Attached: 1562356453907.png (640x480, 601K)

There's basically a whole engineered ecosystem inside the great robot Mata Nui who is basically planet sized. There's little niggas called Matoran whose everyday shit activities were meant to keep Mata Nui functioning properly, big niggas called Toa are their protectors, (not originally) evil niggas called Makuta created new lifeforms for the ecosystem. Big complicated shit
Mata Nui was built basically to undertake a research mission of the cosmos before returning to the homeworld of his creators to fix the planet after the creators fucked it into pieces but one of the niggas inside sabotaged Mata Nui and caused him to fall into a coma and crash land
The "end" of the series basically has a group of Toa manage to revive Mata Nui just as he was about to perish but the evil nigga jukes everyone and takes control of the robot and banishes Mata Nui's soul to the largest chunk of the three fragments of the homeworld. Eventually evil robot arrives to finish Mata Nui off, who has taken up residence inside an ancient prototype of his proper body, the two fight, Mata Nui kills the evil nigga and the homeworld is put back together. Since the great robot is dead, the people who had been living inside leave to dwell on the planet and Mata Nui basically lets himself fade away from consciousness inside of a magical mask

Toa Tuyet

I only own one, and I have no idea where I got it. Were they ever packed in with the toys? I can't imagine I'd have bought a random issue off he shelf back then.

Attached: image.jpg (2592x1936, 1.11M)

>Explain? Were Lego in trouble before bionicle?
Yes, they were on the verge of bankruptcy because they spent huge money on things that weren't profitable. Then they had a change of leadership, and toy series like Star Wars, City and Bionicle saved them. Look up a guy called David Robertson and his book called Brick by Brick, he has an entire section on how Bionicle was developed and how it saved the company. Or just watch the Lego episode of the Netflix documentary show The Toys That Made Us.

Oh Jesus remember the sports sets, basketball and soccer? I wonder how much they lost on that shit.

>Nuju and Whenua and the Legend of the Gay Panic

Attached: biocoml01.png (350x480, 371K)

the real bulk of the story is with the various teams of Toa which are usually ordinary matoran who are invested with powers to fulfill some important task, rather than a consistent protagonist

The Cthulhu nigga that was the original guardian of the universe and drives you insane to even look at

Pohatu, fucking shits can't get their act together and I'm not their babysitter. That aside, Lewa was my favorite. Bitchin' mask, swung around trees, cool axe, and later got fucking sword-wings.

I got the comics right up to the first "final bosses" or whatever they were. All I really remember was they had suits called exotoa or something? They had to stop using them during the fight for reasons. God I'd love to read at least that issue again.

>No current constraction line
>Chima is the only of the few remaining original lego properties to receive contraction figures

Attached: 1474608571112.jpg (888x500, 149K)

They're probably on Biomedia if you want to look. The comic books were indeed metal as fuck, pic related.

Attached: 958695.jpg (600x854, 99K)

if you do decide to get into this shit, don't read the books because greg wrote them, stick to the comics.

Attached: 1557482483330.jpg (958x1340, 73K)

>star wars linwe sucked up most of the good pieces.

>that image

What the fuck am I looking at

The movie poster

Where did the "books bad, comics good" meme originate from? You can't get the deep lore stuff from the comics, you don't even get most of the ongoing story. Most of the comics are just badly told story highlights with tons of stuff missing and filler.

It's just people mad at Greg for all the dumb things he did to the lore. Aside from that, he was a good author.

i still have all of mine. There in a shoe box in storage. Hoping they become of value someday lol. Especially the mask of light issue

>Motherfucking cancer demon again but this time he's a 10 mile high Rock em Sock 'em Robot

So essentially Bionicle meets Pacific Rim?

You forgot the Barraki.
>fallen warlords banished and transformed into sea monsters

Attached: Barraki.png (640x352, 228K)

chad barraki > virgin piraka

Attached: 1561689017557.png (266x312, 38K)

It died the first time because sales were at a all-time low for the series during 2010-11 because of declining interest in action figures and Lego decided to cut it off then to protect the IP. It died a second time because they failed to market it.

I never understood the negativity for the books. Because sure, Greg had a lot of questionable ideas for the lore and his writing may have had faults, but most of the books were solid and he was always kept under control by the Story Team. Some of the shittier books weren't his fault, sometimes the story was just bad and he had to work with what he had. It wasn't until the serials that he actually "ruined" the lore. The comics had almost all the faults of the books because he wrote all of those too, plus a shitton more problems that had nothing to do with him.

WHEN ALL YOU GOT TO KEEP IS STRONG

DO YOU KNOW

the levels of irony on this are too fucking deep and I'm genuinely having a giggling fit at this stupid fucking meme

How can you say that with a straight face
Fishcucks I swear

WISH WE COULD TURN BACK TIME

Attached: time.jpg (800x598, 136K)

If I get one of those store dreams again, it will be your fault.
And also mine for not getting the toys when they were still being sold.

kids who choose Bioncles
>Red - kids who always thought they were the best and would not settle for any other color unless it was a more expensive set
>Blue - kids who like blue but didn't know the blue ones were supposed to be the girls of Bioncle
>Green - kids who were okay with just having 1 bioncle
>White - edge lords who wanted a character to refelct their personality
>Black - always the 2nd choice, but no one was ever disappointed
>Brown - no one wanted this one, this was always picked because no others were left over. did Lego learn nothing from M&Ms?

>liking a clone set over uniquely built sets
i bet you fucking read the serials too

Attached: 1501970079063.jpg (343x347, 20K)

post characters who can say the N-Word

Attached: hqdefault (2).jpg (480x360, 28K)

>that chunky CRT television in the corner of the local ALCO that would play random disney movies

>YO YO
vs
>autistic water noises

Did the Barraki even HAVE a catch phrase

>creeps from the deep
OH NO NO NO NO

>I stopped my subscription to lego magazine after it ended
It was fucking free, why would you do that?

DAILY REMINDER

Attached: galiandkopaka.png (254x204, 114K)

Post Bionicles that can say the N word

Attached: IMG_2494.gif (500x473, 3.77M)

IT'S NOT ABOUT MONEY
IT'S ABOUT SENDING A MESSAGE

>>Brown - no one wanted this one, this was always picked because no others were left over.
He had the absolute best action gimmick though, kicking that rock around.

Attached: IMG_4122.jpg (1024x576, 142K)

are you telling me i'm not the only one who gets dreams about old discontinued lego being sold again.

Attached: clutch.jpg (480x278, 21K)

>about to buy bonkles i missed out on
>wake up

Attached: doge.jpg (127x125, 5K)

Thanks to Bricklink there are far worse toy lines to miss out on, thankfully.

Everyone in the /toy/ general has reported the same thing, from various countries and well into their adulthood. It's spooky.
I also had ones about finding Transformers and Godzilla toys, so I caved in a bought some IRL to appease the dream spirits.

Gali, if only because I was 'overbearing' in the sense that everyone else was Lewa...

fuck I remember going to legoland and getting a rahkshi before they were in stores. I chose the black one. I asked the clerk if he knew that and he didn't. then later I was shaking one of the bohrok cans for the silver krata and some nerdy kid came up to me and was like that's the way to find it. he obviously posted on bzpower.

You absolute moron.
Bohrok come with Krana. Kraata are the ones for Rahkshi.

well there was never a silver kraata so that's obviously what I meant. no need to chide on my for not remembering slight details about a franchise I was into before I busted my first nut 16 years ago.

Gali, honestly. I always go too far.

Who /bohrok/ here?

Attached: Bohrok.png (665x498, 1.01M)

Going to say the P word

Attached: straight outta zakaz.png (1200x1087, 1.41M)

Attached: bionicle.jpg (636x848, 49K)

You forgot Annona.
>Red sun that drives people insane and has a woman-only cult

Did they ever do anything about this nigga?

Attached: shadowed one.png (250x376, 209K)

the poor discount makuta faded to irrelevancy without ever accomplishing anything of note

>sexy bionicles

if there was a kit i'd buy it

Me me me. For some reason nothing in the franchise is as nostalgic to me as the original Rahi and the original Bohrok. The Kal get honorable mention for being some of the most pointless but fun villains in any franchise.

>Incredibly overpowered abilities
>Still manage to drop the ball exactly at the last moment and die horribly

I have a weird fondness for them. They technically weren't evil, just blindly committed troubleshooters for the Mata Nui robot. I feel like they got a bum deal getting pulverized and shot into space and shit.

Attached: 1562898752212.jpg (700x691, 141K)

It was on /fit/ a few days ago.

I've only ever had that dream once.

>original colors were orange-brown and tan
>make him black

With all the weird names I want that guy that voices the toy commercials to tell me the entire story and use the names as much as possible.
youtube.com/watch?v=vLSNh5CQKRA

I always loved how Makuta sounds like. Though never had actual one.

Carlos D'Anda or Stuart Sayger, who had the better comic style?

Attached: Bionicle_Vol_1_15.jpg (400x618, 76K)

Also, Greg wrote the comics too

Bionicle belongs on every board

My store dreams are usually more fuzzy, like finding a discontinued item that never existed. What do I do then?

>store dreams
Too fucking close, man, that shit was VIVID

i had the green bionicle, i named him aleks. in my 11 year bionicle lore, he an assassin cool dude with a short tember and huge ego. his spaceship wasn't any fun to play with though. i made a wheelchair bionicle at one point because i ran out of legs

It died the same reason why the DCAU died
Too much lore for newcomers to get involved in
Their audiences are kids

Seeing Makuta beat the absolute crap out of him after he talked shit in Time Trap was awesome though.

Wasn't Piraka actually a word meant for offense that the Piraka simply just embraced?

Yeah, they're Skakdi by race, Piraka means something along the lines of "vile, loathsome criminal"

Were you autistic enough to remember mask names and what they did, anons?
I was

You mean Tren Krom? Why didn't they do anything with him, anyway?

That's Randy Elliot's style you posted user.
Also Carlos D'Anda in my honest opinion. Nobody gave as much life to the bonkles as he did. Leigh Gallagher came close though.

Ah crap I knew there was probably not I was missing. I thought there had just been the two for the longest time.

>Botar
>A bad guy

>I actually hated Bonkle when it was popular
>And when some of the girls in my class had bonkles
>When it stopped being popular in 2004 I got into it
>and have been ever since

Attached: aWmwVex_700b.jpg (473x767, 53K)

Because according to latter-year Bonkle, cheap shock factor death > good storytelling.

Sayger was good at organic stuff and effects (mostly), but his loose, sketchy style was a really odd choice for a franchise about elaborate robits with lots of geometric details.
D'Anda was better suited for that, but given how bulky he made the characters, I wonder how he would have fared in the later years when the sets weren't as tweedy as the Mata. His Nuva were already pretty beefy. He was really good at conveying emotion and motion through good posing, body language and careful angling of the masks though.

I've already posted this on /biog/ but I wonder what you all think, Yea Forums

Attached: oldlady.png (1200x1600, 666K)

I tried but there were so goddamn many

Yep
I even recited them mentally during several trips to the dentist

I did, but I recently tried to name them from memory and some of the later ones were tricky.
I never bothered to learn things like Krana or Kraata names, powers and color combinations, nor Kanoka disc stuff. Now that would be autistic. Masks at least were significant and literally the faces of the brand.