It's that time again. What are Yea Forums's thoughts on the Jim Henson Hour?

It's that time again. What are Yea Forums's thoughts on the Jim Henson Hour?

Attached: iu.jpg (3806x3450, 3.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J3NKDlkkW8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=50_GE0Z0QEg
youtube.com/watch?v=yNGcKaxMM4w
youtu.be/VQ6wYBAWvf0
youtube.com/watch?v=2hxL2Ruh4sU
youtu.be/2GYn0Ulww4k
youtube.com/watch?v=MFWbgrKlboc
youtube.com/watch?v=q3bSbnAXrM4
youtube.com/watch?v=4rdB3lLLQZg
youtube.com/watch?v=qrqZ0Nhh1jc
youtube.com/watch?v=8HLio_9UnoA
youtube.com/watch?v=4jwxG54RS08
youtube.com/watch?v=n-ECu89Ikrg
youtube.com/watch?v=sm1N8iJ_s2E
youtube.com/watch?v=PJsV5mvFzyU
youtube.com/watch?v=pguhbmHKFl0
youtube.com/watch?v=_h6nTdaDUEE
youtube.com/watch?v=KfvZuJOzYd0
youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0BdC4Mh6E
youtu.be/YqbFyJJW_As
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Holy shit i legit cried after the ending of the video and now my stomach hurts, defunctland's series was awesome and i never expected to feel like that

bump

Attached: henson.jpg (302x422, 154K)

I remember watching The Muppets Remember Jim Henson when it first aired. I was 5 and my mom wanted me to watch it. I knew who the Muppets were of course, because I watched Sesame Street, Muppet Babies, reruns of The Muppet Show, etc. But I remember not exactly "getting" it at the time, because I was fucking 5 and death was such an abstract concept to me. But I remember my mom bawling her eyes out at the ending and that was enough to upset me and get me going. I was sad because she was sad even though I didn't quite understand why she was sad.

I rewatched the special on Youtube a while ago and man, it has a REAL sucker punch of an ending. But it worked me up more because I could still remember how much it upset my mom in 1990 and I guess that never went away in my head.

But yeah, I know this is a Defunctland thread. It was still a great documentary series. The best he's ever done. Wonder what his followup will be.

End of an era.

Also here after crying like a confused little boy at Defunctland's final episode. Such a great series, pays tribute to all the way a single creative mind influenced those around him and in turn the rest of the world.

>muppets start to read letters to kermit
That's it I'm done goodbye

Everything post Jim is garbage. Prove me wrong.

Jim Henson's Mother Goose Stories (1990)
The Muppets at Walt Disney World (1990)
The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson (1990)
Dinosaurs (1991–94)
Dog City (1992–95)
CityKids (1993–94)
The Secret Life of Toys (1993)
Jim Henson's Animal Show (1994–97)
Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree (1995)
Muppets Tonight (1996–98)
Gulliver's Travels (1996)
The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss (1996–98)
Bear in the Big Blue House (1997–2006)
Brats of the Lost Nebula (1998)
Mopatop's Shop (1999–2005)
Construction Site (1999–2002)
Farscape (1999–2003)
The Fearing Mind (2000–01)
The Hoobs (2001–03)
Telling Stories with Tomie dePaola (2000–01)
Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story (2001)
It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002)
Animal Jam (2003)
Bambaloo (2003–07)
Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars (2004)
The Muppets' Wizard of Oz (2005)
Five Minutes More (2006)
Frances (2006)
Sid the Science Kid (2008–13)
Jim Henson's Pajanimals (2008–13)
Dinosaur Train (2009–present)
Jim Henson's The Possibility Shop (2009–11)
Me and My Monsters (2010)
Wilson & Ditch: Dinning America (2010)
The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange (2012–14)
The Doozers (2014–18)
That Puppet Game Show (2013–14)
Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge (2014)
Hi Opie! (2014–16)
Lily the Unicorn (2015)
Turkey Hollow (2015)
Ready Jet Go! (2016–present)
Dot. (2016–present)
Splash and Bubbles (2016–18)
Word Party (2016–present)
Julie's Greenroom (2017)
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (2019)

Especially the adult banner.

Puppet Up! (2006–present)
Late Night Buffet with Augie and Del (2006)
Tinseltown (2007)
Alt/Reality (2008)
Late Night Liars (2010)
Simian Undercover Detective Squad (2012)
Neil's Puppet Dreams (2012–13)
No, You Shut Up! (2013–16)
Good Morning Today (2013–14)
The Happytime Murders (2018)
The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell (2018)

Muppets Christmas Carol was post-Jim and that was fantastic.

>Dinosaurs
>Farscape
>bad
I honestly liked Curious Creations

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge is unironically great
The ABC Muppets reboot from a few years ago is okay too

Take Dinosaurs and Farscape off that list. Those shows were awesome.

ABC Muppets was really fun, I feel like the advertising killed it. It wasn't as much of an Office rip-off as they made it out to be.

>Dinosaurs (1991–94)
How dare you think this is shit.

Threadly reminder that we almost got a Five Nights at Freddy's film in association with The Jim Henson Company.

Still no Farscape 20th special. Instead we get a guy 'unboxing' a soundtrack.
youtube.com/watch?v=J3NKDlkkW8Y

The Muppets at Walt Disney World had Jim in it.

SOUL

my stomach hurts too.. that's fucking rare to feel that actual straight-up stomach sadness.
when I learned he died as a kid, I was just like oh.. that's a bummer.. wow my mom is really sad
But now... good gravy.
Digit was fucking terrifying. who greenlit that design?
The Storyteller was my absolute jam, and its failure has crushed my dreams.

I fucking lose it every time I see the Big Bird segment. Like the rest is a funeral, it's sad, but Big Bird choking out Its Not Easy Being Green is soul-shattering.

Same with when Elmo joins in on Just One Person. It's one of the few things that makes me lose it every single time I watch it.

dog city was awesome

Attached: your opinions are shit.jpg (381x424, 73K)

>Muppet goth girl
Shame, this would have really taken off nowadays

I guess I wasn't the only one; watched the finale this morning and had I not wiped my eyes, the tears would have no doubt fallen from my eyes. A beautiful doc for a beautiful man.

>Bear in the Big Blue House
>garbage

Get the fuck out of here.

Honestly surprised there hasn't been more Muppet horror stuff. Storyteller and Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and even segments of The Muppet Show could get kinda dark and macabre, you'd think there'd be one straight up creature feature in there.

Christmas Carol and Treasure Island were great. But his son Brian went on to direct those.

But then he created The Happytime Murders, so I don't know what the fuck happened there.

Attached: gonzo.png (500x401, 121K)

Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island. Dinosaurs was also legitimately great and Farscape was really good.

I count three okay things, three good things, three things that are great but basically only as showcases for Creature Shop creations, and one that isn't out yet
so... yeah you have a point.
what the fuck was the doozers? there was a fraggle rock spinoff? lily the unicorn? never heard of that. where's christmas carol?
one more good one. Puppet Up was so good I lost my mind a little.
it was meh, but season 2 fixed the problems. just like everything, you have to give it time to fix first-season issues.
if the reality-show cheese was stripped out, it would have been amazing. as it is, it's still fun to rewatch, but you have to fastforward a lot.

Um, that's just a list of projects that The Jim Henson Company worked on, and most of it is commissioned work.

holy shit that is a girl. what I interpreted as a suit jacket was a slutty leather BDSM outfit. whose idea was it to give her the head of the guy from sex pistols?

>what the fuck was the doozers? there was a fraggle rock spinoff?
Fairly certain it was a CG show in the style of Sid and Dinosaur Train meant for little little kids.

Brian is a wonderful but flawed man.

you guys remember when The Brothers Chaps were trying to do something with the Jim Henson company, but they couldn't get a studio to pick it up?

The whole Henson Alternative thing Brian was pushing just comes across as a feeble "We want the Avenue Q audience" initiative.

So sick of anything being made for tiny little kids
in my day little kids just wanted to watch the same things as everyone else, and sesame street was pretty enjoyable as everyone, and anything aimed directly at little kids was mocked as mindless and maybe even harmful for kids.. like it was considered positive for little kids to watch the same thing as older people, and aspire to be like them.. like, mature. when the fuck did we lose that?

I remember reading that the Henson family was upset that TMNT II had a "In Memory of Jim Henson" at the start saying Jim would never have approved of the violence those movies had.

I'd think he'd be more disappointed in what they're doing now.

It was a good idea, just not perfectly executed
muppet shit needs to always be self-aware, self-deprecating, loose and silly and casual
and we don't have that in things that are "adult" at a time when things are more contentious than ever. the ideal adult muppet movie just ignores the very concept of a distinction and does normal stuff that normal people are comfortable saying and doing.

Here's the thing you gotta understand about TMNT 2
the entire world LOST THEIR FUCKING MINDS when Batman Returns came out. even the TMNT creators had become just the most prissy soccermoms you could ever hope to see. they were like "you mean KIDS are watching this? ZOMG! We have to neuter EVERYTHING!"
which is why there was like zero violence in that movie, and they weren't allowed to use their weapons
but also, as sensible men of the 90s, they recognized that rap is fucking awful (mistakenly thinking it's dangerous, rather than a symptom of already-existing societal damage), and that was one thing they solidly wanted to gut
but the studio was like 'nuu put in vanilla ice, we totally heard jim henson say it was his wishes before he died!' and eastman and laird were like 'huh, okay..' and at least made the best of it. made it funny.

jim wasn't a censoring puss, I seriously doubt he'd have any problem with foot soldiers being bopped with nerf mallets and cold cuts. But his family? his severely neglected, weirdly half-southern kinda sheltered family? yeah maybe.

Digit is actually my favorite Muppet. Really wish I could own him but it's not like they just sell recreations of obscure motherfuckers like him like they do for Kermit.

Attached: Digit.png (675x675, 657K)

Yeah but now we don't have to worry about corporate suits saying "does this appeal to literal babies???"

They have their own programming, same as Sesame Street, that conveys messages and information in formats they'll actually enjoy absorbing.

Actually we still do. we have all the worst aspects of every possible scenario.

Yeah that's kinda bullshit since TMNT 2 is slapstick wackiness that would fit right in with the Muppets.
Also Jim made violent shit all the time, just look at those Wilkins ads.

>“ In terms of The Jim Henson Company, my dad first started with adult-minded comedies very early on. He also worked in an era where most of the airwaves were highly censored. But he was always a very naughty, irreverent performer and this basically captures that same level of naughtiness and irreverence, but in a contemporary setting. Having said all of that, I think it's very important that everybody always knows that this is for adults only. This is our opportunity to let our hair down and get crazy every now and then, even though generally we are very safe with the material we do. ”
- Brian Henson
He did nothing wrong.

I haven't cried under any circumstances in literal years, even when I wished I could, but goddamn did those funeral segments make me tear up.

>but season 2 fixed the problems
but it only had one season...?

That's actually kind of everything right and wrong with that, summed up.
was it season 1 part 2 then? it had a retooling.

It's all harmless fun.
youtube.com/watch?v=50_GE0Z0QEg
youtube.com/watch?v=yNGcKaxMM4w

I feel like I don't want to watch that, but only because I hate the current state of the media, and don't wanna see pluppets getting mixed up in it.

I think television is in dire need of a puppet show right now.

Yorick is my type of Muppet, dude's just eternal hunger made into an entity and I love him for that

I would fucking love it, ever since i saw creature shop challenge, I've wanted so badly to get into... yknow, articulated sculpture. Learn how it works, all that
but from what I have learned, it's fucking difficult. Machinery is unwieldy and unreliable, fabrication is difficult, requires tons of freehand, expensive AND takes tons of time, and the entire process is super sweaty and uncomfortable.

Yeah, those fucking pluppets, always making political jokes...

er, as far as I know, this is pretty unusual for pruppets. and I hope it stays that way.

>been going through a lot recently
>been down and haven't felt like doing except dying
>don't even feel like crying
>just been going to work sleep and do it again
>hear people at Jim's funeral talk about his optimism and how much he meant to people
>people are laughing and crying while telling stories
>all the muppets come out and sing about the power of optimism and never giving up
>tears just start rolling down my eyes
I've never cried at anything but Jesus did this hit at the wrong, or right, time. That hit hard and I feel like I needed it. Thanks Jim

Attached: 1413665318342.jpg (1920x1080, 197K)

Sex & Violence didn't work at all. The things that took of were made for kids or everyone in mind. They also had more to say than "dude puppet sex lmao"

Thats a cool, design. Is a shame Jim Henson wasn't that popular in this side of the continent. We only got introduced to the Muppets through the movies and Sesame Street.

Boy you're gonna feel really dumb when you find out what that was, and why it was called that.

i mean we didnt have a fucking option, what channel was muppet show even on here? fraggle rock was on goddamned hbo.. i didnt know any of this stuff existed at the time. hell I'm pretty sure muppet babies were my first exposure to the core muppets characters, and when I first saw them in felt and foam I was like 'the fuck?'

In some countries, puppetry is the only art form allowed to criticize the government.

oh yeah i've heard about this weird shit in France that looks just... fucked to the max.

I get it but there are still more adult jokes on there than what the muppets are known for. There's a GGW reference after all. Making it Sex & Violence without any of the irony is even worse

Dumping puppet related stuff
youtu.be/VQ6wYBAWvf0
youtube.com/watch?v=2hxL2Ruh4sU
youtu.be/2GYn0Ulww4k
youtube.com/watch?v=MFWbgrKlboc
youtube.com/watch?v=q3bSbnAXrM4
youtube.com/watch?v=4rdB3lLLQZg

More puppet stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=qrqZ0Nhh1jc
youtube.com/watch?v=8HLio_9UnoA
youtube.com/watch?v=4jwxG54RS08
youtube.com/watch?v=n-ECu89Ikrg
youtube.com/watch?v=sm1N8iJ_s2E

Even more puppet shit
youtube.com/watch?v=PJsV5mvFzyU
youtube.com/watch?v=pguhbmHKFl0
youtube.com/watch?v=_h6nTdaDUEE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9fqomJ9hTg
youtube.com/watch?v=KfvZuJOzYd0
youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0BdC4Mh6E

Monster Maker is pure kino, and you cannot tell me otherwise.

The ABC Muppets failed because instead of ripping of the quirky show about putting on a dysfunctional variety show, 30 Rock, the made it a rip off Office style mockumentory

So, now that we seen his entire filmography I have to ask, Where can I find it? I've never seen Fraggle Rock, I didn't know half of the stuff presented in the video even existed.

In other words, Mega? Or at the very least a link to some of the random things and interviews DefunctTV showed in the previous episodes.

You seem to have missed the part where it was a complete disaster of a pilot which needed to be taken back to square 1 in order to make the Muppet Show we all know today.

Digit gave me legit nightmares as a kid, I always closed my eyes when he came onscreen.

watchcartoon has fraggle rock despite it not being a cartoon.

it was still a good idea, and the title was ironic. you're acting like you aren't aware of that.

I legit enjoyed Happy Time Murders when I looked at it as a cop movie and not a comedy like the ads showed it as.

Fraggle Rock is $34 bucks on amazon. Muppet Show has some of the seasons up too.
Good luck finding most anything else since they were pre recording days. If there hasn't been a dvd release you're probably not going to find it.

I'm pretty sure everything might be coming to Disney+

It's a shame he never got to see his puppets say the f-word on television.

>Thank you, Kermit

Attached: 1541740019071.jpg (679x679, 132K)

>Disney paying the music licensing fees
Good one, user

Attached: giphy (1).gif (360x270, 2.72M)

I'm told the outtakes were pretty dang golden. he LIVED the best of the muppets.

youtu.be/YqbFyJJW_As

Rember happy day, Yea Forums

i've never heard of this song, but holy shit it fits perfectly

>took Workshop in Puppetry as a free elective my senior year
>made a big, Muppet style goblin character
>took him to NY Ren Faire for a larf
>everyone fucking loved him
>the workers there were bouncing shtick off him
>kids were enthralled
>not a single person looked at my face when the puppet was talking
All that shit he says in this documentary about the puppet "coming alive" when you put it on your arm is 100% true. It's hard to improv on the fly, but I found myself making him look around and do subtle movements and whatnot without even noticing myself. Puppetry is fun as fuck and I'd honestly love to make more now that I know literally everything you need can be found at your local craft store.

I just want "The Cube" on Blu-ray.

Is that too much to ask for?

I haven't even heard of half of those.

Where the FUCK did you go to school?

>BitBBH
>Farscape
>Dinosaurs
>Creature Shop
>The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell

Nigger, I'll bite your fucking face off.

Rowan University.
Also took a metalworking class that same year, there's loads of neat ways to burn last minute credits in the arts department.

Why does Rainbow Connection fill me with Hope and Optimisim

I will defend Muppets Tonight to my dying breath.

>Farscape

Were you beaten as a child? Because clearly they didn't do enough.

Fuck you, Dinosaurs and especially Farscape are great. And if it's anything like the comics, the new dark crystal should be pretty good as well.

the bit of it i saw wasn't that great

meant for

Try looking in Nanda.to, I know Snahp.it has the entire series of the Muppet Show on MEGA I think, but it's closed registration.

There was a Fraggle Rock cartoon, maybe that's what they have?

I was eight and it hit me hard. I remember sobbing as much as when I learned our young priest had died from cancer after he just had a baby daughter with his wife. Both were the same year.

they have both

I still have my old vhs somewhere

roald dahl died the same year too.

I did a rudimentary analysis of it once. My idea was basically that the speaker was a pessimist who didn't understand why people were so obsessed with seemingly simplistic things like rainbows.
>So we've been told and some choose to believe it; I'll prove them wrong, wait and see
The "rainbow connection" is the injection of logic, the meaning behind something so seemingly meaningless as gazing at a rainbow. The speaker is trying to understand the situation from a detached, practical perspective
>Who said that every wish would be heard and answered...? Somebody thought of that and someone believed it; look what it's done so far
They can tell these things hold value for others and they want to get it
>What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing? And what do we think we might see?
Eventually, the speaker accepts that they can't explain everything
>All of us under its spell; we know that it's probably magic
This kind of feeling, whether you want to interpret it as love or nostalgia or happiness itself, is not always explicable or rational. We KNOW what a rainbow is and how it's formed, we KNOW what a star is, the "how" isn't what makes these things special or magical. It's the meaning each individual ascribes to them.

That is the true Rainbow Connection; the revelation that we're all individuals with our own wonderful feelings and affinities for life's simplicities. How overwhelming joy and beauty can be found in something as everpresent as the night sky, and how every dreary, rainy day is followed inevitably by a rainbow. Now if only we could take that kind of joy and make it so that everyone everywhere could understand and feel such elation from something so common as the world around them.
>I've heard it too many times to ignore it; it's something that I'm supposed to be
>Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection; the lovers, the dreamers
>and me

That's just my take, but I think no matter how you look at it, it's just a very Jim Henson kind of song.

fuckin nice.
who wrote it anyway, paul williams?

>priest
>daughter
>wife

???

Look, I don't pretend to know every random offshoot of Christianity, but....lolwut?

Really only Catholics don't let their priests get married. You can be Protestant for example and have a wife and kids.

It's why pedo jokes are always aimed specifically at Catholic priests; other denominations let their guys get married and laid so they don't have to turn to the alter boys to get their jollies.

According to Wikipedia, yea

yeah but those people call them pastors or deacons or reverends or whatever, only catholics call them priests.

Anyone else excited for Steve Whitmire's new project? The plan is to launch a website within the next couple of months where he'll host a series of live streams starring his new character named Weldon.

Attached: 47119826_2057979247593012_6678363679274041344_n.jpg (960x960, 93K)

It's gonna be a sad day when that man dies. I think I'll cry if I see his tiny little coffin.
or maybe they'll cremate him and put the ashes in a coffee mug.

The catholic church has pastors and deacons too. They aren't the same thing as priests.

huh. mite b cool
i mean if we're defining priest as a translation of cohen, most non-catholics don't HAVE that kind of thing anymore. we understand jesus has done the intercession for us permanently, and we no longer have to participate in the old system of a special sanctified class doing that for the community.

That was genuinely well done, user. Kind of makes me feel like the song is even more amazing than I already thought.

Attached: 1314578214840.gif (500x378, 439K)

The puppets were too static- they each had a singular expression fixed to their face. Bizarrely primitive for a Henson Studios project.

>Steve Witmire literally got fired for dating to question the zoomers Disney hired to write the new show, despite being hand-picked by Jim to be his successor
>the show crashed and burned after like maybe 2 seasons so he was absolutely right
>now we're in another era of "all the Muppets are gonna sound and act weird while we all adjust to the new cast" because Disney doesn't give a fuck about hiring actual creatives anymore
I'm still mad

huh, I didn't know that. I didn't see it. who did the designs?
to be fair, Vogel is a legit part of the group. it's more like yet another one died...
whitmire actually said how he doesn't think it should be normal for them to keep changing performers, when he took over Waldorf he wasn't sure which of the previous dorfs to mimic.
the part I don't like is the henson kids backed that up. because that has me worried. what if whitemire actually WAS guilty of being hard to work with? what if he did what they said he did? I don't want that to be true either.

>my PERSONAL jesus, just like he said!
>but also fuck peter and what jesus said about how the church would run post-crucifixion
cringe as fuck desu, join a real christianity

remind me where jesus said they should continue to have intercessors who have to purify themselves first, and then work with the big guy to assist in the forgiveness of your sins
that's the whole POINT of jesus, guy. he's a priest of the obscure and rarely-mentioned order of melchizedek. He's the sacrifice, the priest offering it for the sins of the people, AND The god doing the forgiving. He's all three parts of the sacrificial system.

>what if he did what they said he did?
Well I mean he actually did, didn't he? I thought the issue was that they want him to train replacements and stand-ins but Steve wanted to maintain the integrity and continuity of characters by keeping them each to a dedicated performer. His reasoning made sense and it sounds like Disney just got mad that he wouldn't do things the way they wanted regardless of how Jim had done it.

Though I still don't get why the Hensons got involved or why they were so eager to throw him under the bus.

Yeah buddy I hate to tell you this but TMNT2 came out over a year before Batman Returns.

remember when priests were the sacrifices and what you said totally made sense?
don't bring up the old law if you don't understand it, and especially not if you don't understand how Jesus works within the context of the old ceremonial law

I meant the more damning accusations regarding big freakouts and being hard to work with and whatnot
but yeah disney went full "might as well be the big heartless evil guys everyone accuses of us being" when they started telling all their classic performers to start training their alternates. I hope they're just utterly wiped out somehow. Wouldn't that be swell?

first of all, quit fucking with the timeline
secondly, I said when, not after. It was a thing happening all over the place, not a single-instance causative thing. part of it was a reaction to 89 batman, and obviously in this case, the first TMNT movie

I want to build one. Do you have any tips?

He did ask for special accommodations from Disney a few times, regarding travel arrangements (IIRC he was living far from all of the other muppeteers) and there was something involving his wife being compensated for something, I think he was trying to get her hired by the company. On one hand some of his requests were extravagant, on the other hand it’s fucking Disney and the things he was asking for would have been pocket change to them. I’ve never heard a bad word about his character as a person but it’s not like they just let him go because he cared too much about the muppets...there were other things that made it easier for Disney to sever ties.