Mulan will replace Li Shang altogether, replace singing the songs with just instrumentals...

Mulan will replace Li Shang altogether, replace singing the songs with just instrumentals, Mushu for a non-talking Phoenix, and the Huns for an evil witch. Also it will be more of an action movie. Thoughts?

>According to The DisInsider, Mushu, a character that was voiced by actor Eddie Murphy in the original Disney animated film, will be replaced by a Phoenix in the live-action remake. That isn't the only change the site is reporting, however, as it goes on to say the movie will only use the original music as instrumentals, instead of having the characters sing the songs.

cbr.com/mulan-live-action-movie-mushu-replaced-songs/

Attached: Mulan-Movie-2019-Disney-Live-Action-Production-Start.jpg (798x420, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE
youtube.com/watch?v=XbJaeJ8QGKo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A THING WORTH FIGHTING FOR

F

>Lets do a remake of Mulan
>But I don't like that movie
>Ok let's say we'll do a remake of Mulan and then just do a new movie no one will like

Attached: 1419190745461.gif (300x290, 1.74M)

the more I read the worse it gets

it's not like I planned to watch it anyway

though I'm starting to think all of these horrible decisions are a plot by some clairvoyant exec to actually end the live action trend

Honestly I'm glad they aren't doing the songs. All the live action versions have been anemic as fuck with the music when they try.
Cinderella didn't do songs and it's the best of these nightmares.

If the animated movie was reproduced shot for shot in live action, it would be a strong PG-13. That's outside of Disney's comfort zone for a Princess Movie.

It has to be a totally different movie to fix that, and target China.

why are american pussies

and people laughed when i posted that the huns will be changed since its not pc for disney
mark my words the emperor will be a stand in for trump who doesnt want the invaders in because he’s racist

I'll just re-watch Hero or Curse of the Golden Flower, those were good Wuxia films.

>Thoughts?
If the production team has the balls to rip off KH2's Storm Rider Heartless then it may just be the worth a rental.

Attached: Storm_Rider_KHII.png (383x348, 130K)

>making a remake but getting rid of everything people loved about the original
I wasn’t planning on watching this anyways but good god I am curious as to how worse it’ll get. Also why a phoenix? Dragons at the very least have a ton of Chinese symbolism, is there some bullshit going on in China right now with dragons that I am not aware of?

Attached: 43214E26-E021-47A2-83B6-069CE8EA5A42.png (600x656, 353K)

No way!!! Mulan without Mushu is like Aladdin without the Genie. Mulan CAN'T have the roles of herselg AND Li Shang, where's Disney's love story around here? And Shan Yu is definitely one of the greatest villains from Disney, so they can't replace him.

Is it true that Mulan won't crossdress in this?

Attached: mulan_ping_by_bev_nap_db3888t-pre.jpg (894x894, 57K)

That’s actually pretty based

>every classic cartoon will be ported to SJWfied live-action for zoomers
oof

Well. I'm now grateful that I got to watch it in theaters and eat mcnuggets with Szechuan sauce.

No fucking way, holy shit.

And it will still make a billion

Homie did it to em

>Phoenix
Are Bigfoot and a Sphinx going to drop by? The phoenix is fucking Greek. It's not part of Chinese mythology.

Every day i live and breathe i find another reason for the normals to die.

Guess I'll skip it like every other live action version.

Also why are they called live action when they're like 80% CGI anyway

Fuck you.

youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE

You should die first, maggot

China has tons of phoenix myths, especially related to wartime. they're so prevalent they made a fucking pokemon about them. Just because you're culturally ignorant doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Not that I'm defending the change. Mushu was great as is.

>the movie will only use the original music as instrumentals, instead of having the characters sing the songs
Jesus Christ. RIP in pieces

>It's not part of Chinese mythology.
HAAAHAHAHAHA!
Ahahaha!

Attached: Longshan_Temple_-_Fenghuang.jpg (2583x1836, 1.08M)

Possibly.
The entire point of the myth of Mulan is that when given equal footing to the men, she always surpassed them, and dressing like one to hide her femininity was the best way to do it back in the day.

But now forced cross-dressing to survive is offensive to some people for some reason.

Rot from the inside out. Normals are the reason for all these bastardizations

>Fenghuang
It's name is right in the image you gibbering idiot. Mystical bird of peace =/= phoenix, whose primary motif is death and rebirth.

>But now forced cross-dressing to survive is offensive to some people for some reason.

It's all to please chinese censors, but I'm sure that Disney will use "progressiveness" as an excuse, like they did with Doctor Strange.

The Fenghuan and Greek/Western phoenix (which they will almost certainly use) are two completely different things you baiting halfwit. The only similarities they really have are the fact that both are birds.

Attached: D1C56AF3-820B-4B2A-8109-F35BD0BC20B2.png (1000x432, 165K)

What if this movie makes more money for Disney than anything else simply because of China?

I'm scared that every movie is just going to be for China from now on. I mean, it kind of already is sort of like that, but I mean nakedly. Disney should just bite the bullet and make a Monkey King movie and watch it become the highest grossing movie in history.

Attached: babbyeyes.jpg (381x380, 35K)

Cool boss fight but that was a shit level

>expecting one of these live action remakes to top any of the live action capeshits
Remember when Disney was known for animation?

But cross dressing was a key point in the original legend, you know, which originates in China

Jungle book was only good one and somgs were great

It’s all so tiresome.
>implying most in that soulless country would even know that after the communists raped what semblance of culture they had barring a few buildings and party sanctioned celebrations

>Mulan will replace Li Shang altogether,
Okay, so the foil representing "manliness" against which Mulan's behavior is compared to show his traits are nothing unique to men is gone. Also, the scene where she gets cast of the military only to turn back and save everyone will be gone or heavily modified.
>replace singing the songs with just instrumentals,
Mulan didn't have many songs, but I'll Make a Man Out of You is in contention for best Disney song. This is beyond removing Prince Ali (Reprise) levels of bad decision making
>Mushu for a non-talking Phoenix,
On the one hand, dragons are associated with masculinity and phoenixes with femininity in China, so if they're going to play the guardian character straight and have it be helpful, this makes sense. On the other hand, having the guardian actually be a bungling male anchor worked great in the original story.
>and the Huns for an evil witch.
Both are stupid. Just fucking use the historical nomads god fucking damn. Needless change is needless. Also having her contend with and defeat a male villain serves the story. Having her defeat a female villain does not.
>Also it will be more of an action movie. Thoughts?
The original movie had multiple bits of action, but there was also a lot of downtime since a major theme of the movie is self-reflection. I feel like this could cut into Mulan's development as a character and harm the movie. Doubly so if both her foil and her counsel are gone. This is gonna be a weird ass movie if it's just Mulan talking to herself during all the deeper scenes or those scenes just fucking get cut.

All that said, this will make a shitload of Chinabux so Disney will be Disney.

Attached: 45e0aa4dc5bbd187d37ebc5fd7ccfce5.jpg (625x351, 37K)

It is just me or Diney Live Action movies its just the second wave of DTV sequels?

Attached: 1562088082789.png (215x231, 119K)

INVESTIGATION: Is it possible Disney doesn’t fully own the rights to the animated Mulan, including the iconic songs and original characters? We’ve done some digging and discovered that the animated Mulan was the last Disney film to begin production under Jeffrey Katzenberg

Katzenberg oversaw classics like Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. But Katzenberg was forced to resign from Disney in 1994 that lead to a MAJOR lawsuit in 1997. His most recent films had underperformed for Disney at that point, but Mulan had yet to be released

The Katzenberg vs. Disney lawsuit went on for 19 months, during which he was one of the founders of DreamWorks SKG. Katzenberg argued he wasn’t fully paid for the Disney classics he oversaw, and sought 2% of those projects continual earnings (LA Times 1997).

The protracted lawsuit hinged on Disney not wanting to give up 2% of Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast + The Lion King. Those films were already classics in 1997 & proved to be profitable on Broadway. Hunchback and Hercules were underperformers and Mulan wasn’t released yet

Katzenberg vs. Disney settled in 1997, but the terms of their settlement were confidential. Did Disney end up giving up 2% of Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast + Lion King? Doubtful. Those live-action adaptations are staying faithful to the original animated classics.

What did Disney give up? If it was a larger percent of Katzenberg’s other films, it explains why they aren’t using any ORIGINAL MATERIAL from Mulan. That cuts deeply into profit. Mulan & the Emperor are free to use bc they’re real ppl. Maybe the live-action isn’t a remake at all.

Both birds are also strongly associated with fire.

The only thing it will kill is movies featuring asian actors because producers are fucking stupid

China now isn't the same as China then.

It’s so it will make money in China. The original movie did horribly there.

so is the slavic firebird and the iranian magical birds but that doesnt make them the phoenix
their similarities are superficial

Do you think normies are getting sick of the soulless live action remakes?

Attached: 1555082535685.jpg (1920x4350, 3.36M)

no

Ahh, nothing like underplaying the rest of the entire fucking point of the original film just to make the protagonist even more of a women standing out.

>Huns are gone
>Mushu is generic phoenix now because fuck rendering a CGI Mushu, we still have all these other live-actions to make, sure a phoenix kinda makes sense in China, but let's forget about the Chinese dragon as well
>Evil witch because female villain
>Just instrumentals (not gone!) so they don't have to go through the trouble of making a Shang singing "I'll make a MAN out of you" as to not get feminists rustled
>Mulan still is a powerful women, but instead of her naturally progressing and learning via Shang despite her gender and proving to learn the same as men despite gender, is just naturally talented or instantly learns it as if she were blessed and there are no men to oppress her

Please give me ONE reason this movie might still be great somehow through all this pile of SJW shit and maybe I'll consider

>mistaking the fenghuan with the motherfucking suzaku
cringe and seiryupilled

If I recall the original Mulan film wasn't well recieved in China so they're probably market testing the ideas to see what will sell in China now.

>protagonist even more of a women standing out.
Exactly the opposite, because she'll have nothing to contrast with, her male foil being gone, and the main villain turned into another woman. Humans are simple, they can talk about amorphous concepts like fighting the patriarchy, but it needs to have a human face. Bureaucrat dude doesn't cut it.

It won't be a bad movie because of SJWs, it will be a bad movie because it's a bad movie.

>yfw they turn mulan into the villain for opposing those peaceful witch hordes from migrating to china

Do you know that Mulan is based on chinese legend and isn't an original disney story

No, it mostly bureaucratic fuckery by the government. They shelved the film for a year and then mandated that it be released in a slow film period with little advertising. It got Iron Gianted.

Rent free

Yes but the mulan their basing of the live action is the disney story so its kinda retarded to remove key characters in it
Its like making a live action movie swat katz movie but without the jet or callie briggs

>shit level
That title belongs to Atlantica and you know it.

No, and they never will.

TFW Disney original movies are superior still.

Attached: IMG_1466.jpg (964x719, 113K)

>Every day i live and breathe i find another reason for China to nuke itself.
Preach

>wanting china to nuke itself
>not wanting china to do the 3 kingdoms again but this time with modern weapons

They'd be better off using one of the many historical situations where that happened, like the Gothic War. The Goths rolled up requesting asylum in Roman territory across the Danube because they were getting the old rape and pillage treatment from the actual Huns.

The Romans said sure, but didn't adequately police the river crossings and disarm the newcomers and the Goths began doing a bit of their own pillaging since getting resettled was taking too long and they were starving.

From there it devolved into a shitshow that didn't really benefit anyone.

I was under the impression people only payed to see these remakes to see their favourite childhood songs/cartoons on the big screen again. Guess the chinabucks made a louder ka-ching than the nostalgiabucks.

Uh... I'm a little confused, it's not like anyone wants a shot for shot remake but who asked for an in name only remake? It doesn't necessarily sound like a bad movie but it really comes across like it's interested in the name and nothing else.

What's wrong with Shang? The only "problem" with him is nepotism.
What's wrong with Mushu being a tiny talking dragon? Do they want something that can be taken more seriously?
What's wrong with the Huns? Is a military force a less credible threat than a witch?
What's wrong with songs? A girl worth fighting for is a marching song, you don't even need the movie to be a musical to fit that in.

Attached: rick and mulan color.png (1000x1414, 437K)

>tfw no goth mulan tomboy gf

>Rick & Morty fans are about to become even more insufferable.

Attached: 7f2.jpg (587x645, 116K)

Well one thing that's wrong with the Huns is that they hung out more in Eastern Europe. If they had any balls, they'd replace them with the Mongol hordes.

if the original did horrible what makes them think this one will do better ?

The CCP has a problem with many odd things (time travel, skeletons, Winnie The Poo, etc).

I guess they just wanted to make a new IP but in fear of underperforming it stuck the name of already preexisting franchises on it.

Mulan is a Chinese folktale so honestly this is the best way to do it. I'd rather them just make a wholly different adaptation of the same story than make a bad remake of the animated one

>Replacing Li Shang
How? He's arguably the second most important character.

It's really sad seeing what China became after the commies literally purged all their history and culture.

It's why I can be a xiaboo and still hate China.

We're never going to get 'Mulan reincarnated into the modern day' series, are we?

Attached: 1534107146904.jpg (1078x1200, 111K)

but the huns did try to invade china
they were known as xiongnu

Attached: 1534127636265.jpg (1000x1250, 162K)

How can a movie do well without the songs for nostalgiafags?

Imagine Jungle Book without Baloo's song or Lion King without Hanuka Mulatto.

Mongols didn't exist in her time. They wouldn't exist for 600-800 years.

>and the Huns for an evil witch

I don't see anything about that in the article, OP.

Attached: You lie!.jpg (320x453, 81K)

I can honestly assure you that Alladin was such a cheapskate affair that maybe 30% was CGI.

The Xiongnu weren't fucking Huns. The Huns were theorized to be descended from the Xiongnu. Also the Xiongnu aren't who Mulan fought in the oldest surviving version of the story. That was the Rouran Khaganate, believed to be descended from the Xianbei an entirely separate nomadic tribe from the Xiongnu.

No they’re normies

I'm glad Mushu is gone. He was always a terrible ANNOYING and unlikable selfish bastard character. Some "family guardian" he got members of Mulan's family killed and was willing to throw Mulan into the front line of war just to improve his lot in life with no guarantee she'll be properly guarded. Mushu being gone is the BEST decision this live action adaption can do. Fuck Mushu and especially to hell with him in the sequel where he manages to be even more unlikable. But remember now, Mushu was ALWAYS unlikable. He's just a horrible bastard shit character who no one calls out on being terrible. Well except Mulan's already dead ancestors, but since they barely exist in the original animated film? Mushu essentially gets away with acting like a pile of shit.

Based user

This is the only proper way to make a remake out of it, yes, it has english subs
youtube.com/watch?v=XbJaeJ8QGKo

>the movie will only use the original music as instrumentals, instead of having the characters sing the songs
How much you wanna bet they make an exception for "A Girl Worth Fighting For" and just rework it into marching chant that lasts four lines before getting cut off?

And Mulan herself in that poem was probably a Xianbei since it was during the Northern Wei and her family had probably sinicized and were members of the military class.

>the Huns for an evil witch
Excuse me

I prefer that they do something new with the story instead of just rehashing the original shot-for-shot with some new social commentary to make itself seem more woke. I'm glad to see they are changing things up. Actually seems more respectful to the original animation that way.

China recently added "Chinese history starts with the great revolution" in their list of things to censor.

>it's better that way
are we playing "spineless shit eating slaves bingo" already?

What's the point in remaking the same movie we already have? At best these live-action remakes are a poor imitation of the classics, and at worst they are an embarrassment to their legacy. The Jungle Book was the best among them because it decided to do something different with the source material. We don't need them to make Mulan 1998 because it already exists. But an action movie built off the same premise has a lot of potential.

>be downtrodden bottom bitch dragon guardian
>get shit from literally everyone in your temple
>get given opportunity to raise your standing in life by helping a family member accomplish their goal
>desired outcome is mutually beneficial
>she is fully aware of the danger, no manipulation
>help from behind the scenes to ensure her chances of success are as high as possible
>go on to contribute heavily to her victory
He wasn't horrible, he just knew how to play his cards right.

They’re chasing the chinese money

ever heard of the four symbols/beasts?
the Vermilion Bird Zhū Què?
still another firebird

they just use phoniex so people in the west know what its supposed to be like

No you should get with the program, the current PRC propaganda is that China is 5000 years old.

That was during imperial China. Comunist post cultural revolution China is different

but its not the phoenix though
why use the phoenix instead of the suzaku

They can always appeal to the American born chinese who live in California

>a remake of mulan with no lyrical music
not even normalfags will eat this shit. you could remove mushu, the huns, and maybe even li shang and they'd still lap it up, but even they'll hate this.

>Mulan goes to war
>She has be saved by the heroic army.
>She realizes that she shouldn't have disobeyed her elders and goes back to her home.
>Fin.

Attached: e8567cd32048eed8a5867e9255eefa89.jpg (1061x1519, 320K)

>chinese character
>reincarnated
pick one

Dang, and I was almost looking forward to this one...
They won't shit the bed on the hunchback remake I'm alrey expecting a CGI Quasimodo...

>Make a version even less accurate than the Disney one

Who is this targeted at?

>SJW
>Remove all notions of heroic crossdressing, equality of skill between genders, and recognition of great deeds
>For an angry witch

This movie will neither appease nor antagonise SJWs, it'll just be there.

Again, WHO is watching this?
>The Chinese
No, not in every other case of poorly performing chinese fantasy flick. Why would this be any different? Because it contains a magic witch, something heavily frowned upon by the ruling government?

So what about the cricket? Is it still going to be there or did they get rid of him too since the phoenix already doesn't speak?

Attached: 1532395592945.jpg (236x231, 11K)