JSA Storytime: Gen13

Good evening owls,

I think this is where we left off?

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_00fc.jpg (987x1514, 484K)

Other urls found in this thread:

whitelippedviper.tumblr.com/post/165251937847/pop-comics-4-saga-46-come-mush-with-me
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>DC returning to high and dark fantasy with a new original Black Label franchise from an Army trumpeteer who's a DC Writer's Workshop alumnus; first maxiseries has a great artist; a map is also included and an official soundtrack is being made
>Netflix orders WBTV's reportedly most expensive series The Sandman with Gaiman and Goyer as executive producers and Heinberg as showrunner; an 11-episode first season, based on 'Preludes and Nocturnes', is planned but yet to be written
>BRAVO KIRKMAN
>Shogun teases the return of MARVEL ZOMBIES for October
>Jupiter's Legacy TV series starts filming

>>Shogun teases the return of MARVEL ZOMBIES for October
ONE MILLION ORDERS BABY!
Until it doesn't.

>Sandman
Huge chance to bomb. The strength of Sandman was in the single issue stories, and how they thematically connected to the slight ongoing plot.

I am very skeptical of doing big-ass epic fantasy in comic form but we'll see

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_01.jpg (983x1509, 528K)

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_02.jpg (982x1509, 505K)

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_03.jpg (986x1514, 532K)

is Kirkman really surprise ending TWD?

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_04.jpg (989x1511, 509K)

how are you owls

I am a very tired owl

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_05.jpg (986x1519, 529K)

Hello, Storyteller.

Today I discovered that during the Nu52, Helspont, High Lord of the Daemonites and one of the THE big bads of Wildstorm... got killed off unceremoniously by Jason Todd of all people. Goddamn, I'm I ever glad the Nu52 is fucking dead as shit, rotting in the trash where it fucking belongs.

The problem is that DC is doing it. Nobody at either of the big two has the chops to tie their own fucking shoes, nevermind pull of a fantasy epic.

yes. LCS's are getting a lot of hate from speculators for not ordering a fuck load of issues

that's fucking hilarious

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_06.jpg (985x1518, 524K)

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_07.jpg (981x1519, 407K)

Hey OP.

So Walking Dead is finally kill. What failed idea will Kirkman try to rely on now?

maybe we'll get more BATTLE POPE?

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_08.jpg (979x1513, 422K)

>getting mad that shops are not ordering things which demonstrably sells like shit
Oh boo fuckity hoo. Get mad at the publisher for forcing their their absurd trade writing policy on virtually every title. Floppies are utterly worthless.

... Also, speculators still exist in large enough numbers to cause a stink? What the fuck.

she didn't sign up for THIS kind of sex dungeon

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_09.jpg (986x1514, 436K)

I really don't know if a live action series is a good fit for Sandman, honestly.

Even with modern CG there's a lot of limitations on images of the fantastic.

Be skeptical of big was epic anything in comic form, honestly.
Comics are bad at commitment, even when they do do long form.
But hey, whatever happens, it'll still have an ending before ASOIF.

it's that, and that the space limitation of comics and good incluing don't play well together.

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_10.jpg (977x1514, 464K)

I see these are equal-opportunity sex dungeon costumes?

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_11.jpg (977x1517, 431K)

Hot damn, look at Alex's discoriffic 70s hair!

dude is randomly elfy?

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_12.jpg (979x1513, 462K)

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_13.jpg (982x1517, 460K)

Apparently. I guess he finally ran out of ideas for new non-zombie communities for Rick's crew to fuck up.

I shitposted about someone writing Booster Gold and then they responded. It threw me. It was positive at least!

I mean there’s Saga. And historically Conan has been huge.

Not too bad.
Reflecting too much on how empty I am.

Not woke enough, unless the new Battle Pope is black.

Conan, true, but that's bootstrapping off a written work where a lot of the worldbuilding work has been done

Saga's worldbuilding is total shit

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_14.jpg (977x1514, 557K)

>single issue stories
Done in ones are dead, even in television.

>the space limitation of comics and good incluing don't play well together.
I feel like that's only a problem when decompression is at play. You can cram a lot of substance into 22 pages if you know what you're doing, as Silver Age Legion demonstrated wonderfully. Hell, even Gen 13 has most of its stories in a nice episodic format, with only the very occasional multi-parter.

>chubby black guy

Does this fetish have a name?

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_15.jpg (985x1517, 570K)

THE PENIS IS EVIL.

Probably just a Vulcan, like that one Green Lantern?

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_16.jpg (983x1516, 457K)

Saga is in hiatus, and doesn't deserve to come back.

Fucking fidget spinners.

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_17.jpg (986x1514, 456K)

>Nobody at either of the big two has the chops to tie their own fucking shoes, nevermind pull of a fantasy epic.
Fuck you, Conan's been great.
DC's never been able to do a quality fantasy title

>Saga in hiatus
>TWD finished
>Invincible finished
Is Image Kill?

>Saga's worldbuilding is total shit
In what way? Is it the "story stops dead to explain every little detail" way? Or the "clearly making shit up as we go along way"?

>more lives than a Hindu cat
... Because, reincarnation? I guess? That was a weird quip, dude.

Also:
>Remender and Hickman's titles keep being delayed
>Millar is still around

>In what way?

In the way that it's barely resigned modern world and hey just half was their way through everything.

the "it feels like any little thing BKV wants in gets in but there's little to no real sense of place or culture"

whitelippedviper.tumblr.com/post/165251937847/pop-comics-4-saga-46-come-mush-with-me

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_18.jpg (981x1514, 515K)

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_19.jpg (982x1512, 465K)

*Barely redesigned.

>DC's never been able to do a quality fantasy title

Nah, they've got a stable of solid/popular urban fantasy books, like Sandman, Hellblazer, and that ilk.

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_20.jpg (983x1516, 546K)

urban fantasy and epic secondary world are totally different beasties in how you set them up and get the reader inclued, IMO

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_21.jpg (983x1512, 440K)

>Sandman
>solid
Hahaha
>Hellblazer
Oh, you're serious? "OH ALL ME FRIENDS ARE DEAD AND IM LUCKY, WAH WAH" for twenty-five years

Camelot 3k, Amethyst, maybe Blue Devil? Whatever Tyrion is mining for JL Dark, but Yeah the Vertigo influence means a lot of what people think as DC fantasy is urban fantasy gothy shit.

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_22.jpg (984x1517, 585K)

Sandman was not really urban fantasy. I think I'll post the PCR issue later

eh, I think Sandman fits into that lineage--it's just more Charles de Lint and less Anita Blake, Vampire Fucker

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_23e.jpg (978x1514, 483K)

True, true. But I just wanted to remind user that they aren't wholly incapable, just somewhat off genre.

I see Coda are as into S&M as Amazons.

I mean shit, we read Madame Xanadu, didn't we?

>the "it feels like any little thing BKV wants in gets in but there's little to no real sense of place or culture"
Oof. I have a worldbuilding project myself, and that such an easy trap to fall into. I often have to straight up scold myself for trying to fit sqaure pegs in round holes. Shit HAS to remain tonally, mechanically, and genre consistent, or else you end up with a confusing hodgepodge mess.

>In the way that it's barely resigned modern world and hey just half was their way through everything.
We talking masquerade, or straight up "it's modern day, but there's weird shit with no explanation"? Because the former is overplayed to shit, and the latter is just kind of lame.

Yeah, I know. It kind of meanders through genres.

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_24e.jpg (975x1516, 633K)

Attached: Gen13_v1_37_25e.jpg (989x1508, 461K)

>ABC debuts this month
>January 1999 -- DC Comics

This will never not be hilarious.

>I see Coda are as into S&M as Amazons.
I mean, they are a direct send up of the DC Amazons. They're home island is literally called Themyscira.

Hell, the main difference is that the Coda are actually allowed to be a part of their setting instead of editorial forcing them to stay on the island not doing anything.

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - c01.jpg (993x1528, 369K)

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p01.jpg (996x1523, 347K)

Goddamn, lookit all the Frank Face going on in this cover.

They all look high as hell.

if I vanish, I'm trying to talk the dog out of cowering in the bathroom, the rain is over

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p02.jpg (996x1526, 275K)

...this comic and its subtext, jesus

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p03.jpg (995x1529, 301K)

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p04.jpg (961x1533, 296K)

Yes yes, mommy's very impressed

Clearly, Rainmaker will just seduce her way out of a fight with the Coda, like last time.

God, Caitlyn really wants to fuck a Daddy, doesn't she?

No one cares about your dumb fetish characters.

hey almost missed it!
anything good coming out tomorrow?

Tynion is such an undeniably shit writer

who doesn't

will the line be half as cool as Clive Barker's was

... Huh. This is easy to take the wrong way.

Goddammit, Sugartits is totally going to post this out of context at some point. Predictable fuck.

there's no way it's going to be successful
only reason people latch on to Good Omens is wanting the main characters to fuq and same with Lucifer, American Gods was trash because no one wanted to do the main character

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p05.jpg (993x1532, 311K)

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p06.jpg (969x1533, 291K)

DIE is really good fantasy rn too but I think most here aren’t big Gillen fans

Come to think of it WicDiv is kinda urban fantasy too

Crying Wolf?

I like how even Ivana thinks this is some weird bullshit.

Well, that's got to involve some gross experimental surgery, don't it?

And what, you think they arent going to cast a fuckable Morpheus?

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p07.jpg (993x1529, 263K)

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p08.jpg (965x1532, 324K)

Wasn't it gonna be Joseph Gordon Levitt? Definitely unfuckable :^)

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p09.jpg (991x1530, 406K)

American Gods had a ton of behind the scenes problems. Don’t worry people wanted to fuck that guy playing Shadow. And Ian McShane has some daddy energy

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p10.jpg (972x1532, 398K)

>Gorillas
>Meteor

C'mon super gorillas!

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p11.jpg (991x1530, 410K)

These things kind of remind me of the power armor suits from Anthem. They also have really stupid looking digitigrade legs that could not possibly be in any way practical for a suit of armor.

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p12.jpg (952x1530, 409K)

ITS FIFFES TIME TO SHINE

Attached: file.png (563x862, 618K)

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p13.jpg (991x1532, 373K)

Gillen is a good writer, he'd probably do a good Gen13

God I hope Hickman has read "Jean & Scott"

If The Walking Dead is finally over, does that mean zombies can fuck off for a good long while? Cause goddamn, they need to.

>no one liked his Ultimates story besides me
gay

I let out a heartfelt FUCK OFF at the "Marvel Zombies again" thingy

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p14.jpg (965x1531, 312K)

Hadn't heard this news, neato

Everyone loves silencer mangos tho

Image won’t die until Savage Dragon hits 301 at least

All of the current run is already moved over to Image so I guess this'll just be a new volume?
That logo's as Ostrander-y as it gets

The real Cerebus record breaker t b h

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p15.jpg (970x1529, 287K)

Yeah, it's a new volume since the previous one and Versus were mostly self-published

WHOOPS

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p16.jpg (987x1535, 287K)

that...there's no way that supports the girls

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p17.jpg (964x1530, 301K)

He wanted to adapt it, not necessarily play Morpheus.
I think he realized it is pretty much impossible as a live action thing

OP, I don't know you irl but I think you're a real neat person and I hope you have a great week

a bullet could go through the seed, I accidentally cut them in half all the time

Marvel Zombies was played out back in the day. It's flat out obnoxious to do it now. But the shogun, like all the other big wigs in this industry, is a fucking moron who thinks obsolete gimmicks are what sell comics.

Agreed. It was a tired beyond merit premise by the time MZ3 came out.

Those girls are rock solid, they don't need any support

Have the Versus been collected yet?
Also I saw my LCS has Round Two by Image but 3,4,5 by BSC and my autism is flaring because I alreasy own the BCS version of 1

Honestly a bit bit disappointed Kirlman didnt stretch things out until 200 just for a round number.

Unless that crazy Luna brother stops Larsen before that happens

>Grunge is too stupid to not proposition a woman front of her father

God, he replaced his Brian with rocks at some point, right?

That's highly advanced technology there!

thanks user! I'm tired but I hope to have a good week too!

this is probably true

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p18.jpg (963x1531, 306K)

Goddammit, Sarah. ... Do you just kinda like getting captured by the hot warrior women? Cause this keeps happening, and it's a problem.

You'd think artists would have at least some basic knowledge of breasts if they love drawing them so damn much.

I don't think it's been collected yet, no.

Kirkman stopped there so it could fit neatly in the last compendium, he did the same thing with Invincible. It's like the Big Brain Plays of writing for the trade.

shit, we should just read PROMETHEA some time

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p19.jpg (964x1521, 406K)

Yes, let's end the world!!

Promethea is a book that I enjoyed way more physically than when I tried to read it digitally at first

It's actually a little off. Issue 192 finishes off four 48 issue compendiums, meanwhile 193 is set at 72 pages. I wonder if he pulls a "Fables 150" and just puts out a trade with 60 extra pages of notes and art

That is true, though--I have a few floppies, and they're kind of remarkable physical things.

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p20.jpg (965x1529, 356K)

Can't, Cranky would hate that the words move upside down sometimes and will never stop bitching

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p21.jpg (966x1521, 350K)

Rape is never funny unless you're raped by a clown.

>Gen13 meets Twitter

Doug Mahnke clown, for extra nightmare fuel

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p22.jpg (964x1521, 370K)

THANKS FOR READING

assuming work doesn't murderize me, back tomorrow

Attached: gen13 v1 - 38 - p23.jpg (965x1521, 293K)

I keep hearing that Promethea is this untouchably weird, yet majestically artistic thing. Sounds like a fuckin' ride.

I never stop bitching about anything and everything. I mean, Promethea's a WW send up, yeah? Upside down words would be the least of me being an annoying twat.

We should read Young Liars sometime. I'd love to see the reactions of people reading it for the first time.
Thanks OP

>I mean, Promethea's a WW send up, yeah?
Not remotely.

Thanks OP

Promethea is about fiction and people's perception of reality

Thanks for posting as always, Storyteller.

... So that was a back up story. That exists. Okay then.

Seriously, don't be afraid to run Promethea because of me. I promise I won't be that guy about it.

Thanks for running, OP. See you then, hopefully.

thanks OP
I went to a comic book shop today by my sisters house and they didn't have a single Gen13 issue that wasn't done by Simone
disappointed, left with some indie book and an issue of the Punisher

Well, they are both woman, and have armor.
So yes, she's 100% a WW expy.

It's not? Then why am I being singled out as the fun blocker? So the words are upside down. And? I've actually always wanted to see more comics that really play with the medium.

Look, I'm a dick, sure, but call me out for shit that actually applies, please. Fucks sake.

I read the first volume of Prometha and it fucking rules

I used to Storytime it annually but Yea Forums got so bad. I’m so mad Lapham keeps shilling Stray Bullets art and not Young Liars on Twitter. Amazing series

There’s a chunk of Wondy in the meta Promethea stuff don’t play

I'm pretty sure he owns it too. He should be pestering Image/Bond for a nice reprint.

In slightly related news, the Moonshadoe reprint from Dark Horse is pretty good. It is incredibly thick, and features the original covers and extra pages from the Epic releases (JMD cut a few pages and changed a few lines for the Vertigo printings).
Downside is that the coloring is a little too light on a few pages, and makes the narration hard to read.

Stay safe storyteller.

I want a new Blood trade. I don't know if Vertigo still had the rights or if they're somewhere else but I don't care, I want that shit back in print.

That was under Epic, so JMD (and maybe his artist) has the rights.
There was a Vertigo reprint (that I own), but it is really, really OOP.
Maybe Dark Horse will make one if Moonshadow sells well and if Berger can convince them

I read Promethea when I was looking for something that combined WW with matriarch goddess hippie feminism and I certainly didn't get that at all, but I still greatly enjoyed what I read

bump