Worst Golden Age cartoon

The Golden Age of Animation is given the name for all the high quality work, but what cartoons made during that time are just plain bad?
I’d like to nominated this Columbia short “Rocky Road to Ruin”, which is just a depressing rip-off of The Dover Boys
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qoG0f3Yl2mg

Attached: B21776BC-6D2B-4D75-ADD9-72D3668F8694.png (720x540, 591K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x67flm
dailymotion.com/video/x2l398d
m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4upgr_fYrU
youtube.com/watch?v=hquHM6qOQDA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wow, that's a really bold rip-off.

Looks more like a straight adaptation of a Rover Boys story, that the Dover Boys were parodying.

The Rattled Rooster is the rare classic Warners cartoon that feels more off than it does funny.

dailymotion.com/video/x67flm

Any Looney Tunes cartoon that has this opening.

Attached: hqdefault-13.jpg (480x360, 13K)

That's the same fucking narrator.

The narrator also wrote the ripoff.

Controversial opinion here; people exaggerate the hell out of the Daffy and Speedy outings. Is it an optimal use of Daffy? Nah, but the shorts are inoffensive at worst, often alright if you keep your expectations in check, and a handful are legit good.

This, they're mostly fine.

is this still considered golden age?

Yeah, the Golden Age of Animation is considered the time when the big studios were making theatrical shorts. Technically, it went all the way up to 1972 when Walter Lantz Productions released their last short.

Got a name of that short?

Clutch Cargo and that one Seagull cartoon. /thread

John McLeish

Bye Bye Blackboard

>that short where Woody Woodpecker humiliates, tortures, and finally kills a bull for 6 minutes
dailymotion.com/video/x2l398d

Attached: BE5F5BFF-4988-4964-B45A-7D6CC08CED82.jpg (640x480, 60K)

Woody Woodpecker is a case study in just how important the first few minutes of a Looney Tunes short are. Bugs getting clobbered once is what gives the audience free rein to laugh at him torturing an idiot for seven minutes. Woody is just a bully.

Well, it uses that ugly-ass beta Woody design, so what do I care?

A Chuck Jones Cartoon.... I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

Attached: Dan Blacskide.jpg (480x360, 35K)

Things got better later on. Woody coming across as a bully really is the exception, not the rule.

Ugly Woody is best Woody.

Attached: IMG_4320.jpg (600x463, 103K)

>Seagull cartoon
You mean Paddy the Pelican?
Because yeah that belongs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4upgr_fYrU

Even See You Later, Gladiator?

Clutch Cargo is the TV Era, not Golden Age.

It's been ages since I watched that but I recall a cartoon that albeit clearly lacking was in no way the dumpster fire folks were claiming it to be. Aggressively mediocre if anything but not offensively so.

When there's shit like this

youtube.com/watch?v=hquHM6qOQDA

in the classic era, you know folks who say Daffy and Speedy is as bad as it gets haven't watched the beginning of it.

Considering this is a columbia cartoon, Im not surprised by just how bold faced or terrible this is. That was the standard of quality for columbia. That's essentially why they were bought out by paramount in the 50's from what I recall

Yes, I too read the top comment.

Isn’t their version of The Tell-Tale Heart considered a classic? Why such the gap in quality?

Everyone loves to discuss the chaotic calamitous nature golden age daffy had, or first appearance bugs for that matter, but Woody was always absolutely fucking deranged. That's the side of woody that never gets explored,and boy does it irritate the living hell out of me. It's especially annoying when you track Woody's history into the modern day, and realize how consecutively sanitized Walter and Universal made him. In short, literal super villain woody > shit bugs clone woody.

Because columbia animation was an after thought for the studio, who's bigger focus was always legitimate theater pictures. Columbia animation was the most slapdash animation outfit Im aware of from the time, think of it as almost the I.W. comics of the animation industry at the time. Even the Terrytoons were more respected in comparison.

"The Tell-Tale Heart" is UPA. "Rocky Road to Ruin" is Screen Gems.

How did Tell-Tale end up as good as it did?

based picapao

Culhane knew how to exploit demented Woody the best.

Damn, answered just two seconds before I posted that

i dont get the moral of this story
thus guy lived awesomely rich even died peacefully
and the newspaper guy acepted the girl after she dropped him for money ?
what kind of lesson is that ?

The lesson is don't be a beta.

Even as a kid, I knew Daffy in Aqua Duck was the cue to change the channel. There were a lot of weird cartoons but that was the worst.

I don't know that was a cute ending.