How is his name pronounced?

How is his name pronounced?
"Raas al Ghoul"
or
"Raesh al Ghoul"

Attached: GalleryChar_1900x900_rasalGhul_52ab86bf37a0a5.47450184_0.jpg (1200x680, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TULYXGYz02c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rape al ghoul

Raas is the Arabic pronunciation.
Raesh is how it's pronounced I think in Hebrew.

youtube.com/watch?v=TULYXGYz02c

ray's all cool

Raas is a character from Frazier so, Raysh

I still pronounce it raas. Raesh just sounds weird to me.

Is there a canonical pronunciation in the comics? That BMB clip offers an answer, but the Nolan movies counter it. Has a comics writer ever specified?

I don't have a preference either way exactly, but the first time I saw it in writing I thought it was "Raas" rather than "Raesh"

The comics say it's Arabic, and Ras with an S is how you say head in Arabic. Retconning to Raesh only requires them to say this is some fictional snowflake dialect, but afaik they haven't.

rahz

Attached: Michael Caine laughing.jpg (860x860, 415K)

It's "Rahs" or "Roz" or something along those lines.

>But Denny O'Neil said it's "Raysh," and he created the character

Yeah, but he said it's "Raysh" because he intended to gey the correct pronunciation of the term, and asked his daughter, who was taking some Eastern classes on college or something, what the correct pronunciation would be. She told him "Raysh," but she was misinformed. The Arabic word for "head" is pronounced more like "Rahz." "Raysh" sounds more similar to the Arabic word for "feather."

So, because Denny's daugther got it wrong, Denny got it wrong. And because Denny got it wrong, everybody going off of his word, like many fans and the creators of the DCAU, got it wrong.

If Denny had known the correct pronunciation, he would have given it.

Also worth noting is that Ra's Al Ghul has two creators: Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams. Any interview I've been able to find with Adams has had him pronounce it "Rahz." I don't know how Denny pronouncss it these days, since it's very likely he's since been informed of the correct Arabic pronunciation.

If they wanted it pronounced Raesh they should have spelled it Raesh

rays al cool

Good post. That being said, I’ve called him Raysh for so long it feels weird calling him anything else

That's not how you pronounce "Ra's al Ghoul"

Racer Cool

Rahz sounds better than Raysh so I don't give a fuck what DC says.

Isn't his organization supposed to be based off the Hashashin anyway?

Also Modern Standard Arabic probably isn't the best language to get names for a character who has supposedly been alive for 500 years, given that MSA is a retarded attempt to standardize a dozen different languages by treating them as dialects.

What a terrible researcher. Like, did they not have libraries back in the 70's?

>a literal college student who isn't even taking Arabic or ME studies as a major doesn't speak perfect Arabic
who could have seen this coming