Clever Characters X "Le Genius" characters

Which one do you prefer?

>Clever characters
"Me against Satan? I will manipulate Satan into drinking beer that was originally holy water, and then turn it into holy water again when it is already in his belly".

>"Le Genius" characters
"Me against Beyonders, Celestials, and gods? I WILL JUST CREATE A MACHINE THAT DEFEATS THEM AND STEALS THEIR POWERS FOR ME! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

I prefer clever characters. I think the "building machines that can do literally everything" thing is kinda of lame and doesn't really take any effort from the writers, but I know that "le genius" characters have a lot of fans around here.

Attached: clever vs le genius.jpg (985x984, 106K)

>Clever characters
"Oh hey, this ridiculous plot will work, because suddenly all my super-capable adversaries are reduced to retards who will drink enchanted beer with no question".
>Le Genius Characters
Everyone is doing ass-pull feats, I'm simply the ass-pulliest."

Attached: 1390404551179.gif (200x149, 663K)

Clever rogues/manipulators are usually more fun for me than genius who just poof some deus ex machina into existence. It's why I always opt into badass normal classes like rogues, fighters and archers over "lol magic" classes like wizards

>...and whine incessantly becausee the wizards do all the great shit.

I mean, if you know of any "Le Genius" story that is better than "Dangerous Habits", I'm all ears, friend.

You don't need to be all passive-agressive.

>this guy cape shits.

Brute Force

It comes down to the writer.

That post about Anton Chigurh is pretty on point.

>Because it has smart characters written stupidly.
Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men is a smartly written smart character. When Chigurh kills a hotel room full of three people he books the room next door so he can examine it, finding which walls he can shoot through, where the light switch is, what sort of cover is there etc. This is a smart thing to do because Chigurh is a smart person who is written by another smart person who understands how smart people think.

Basically both work or don't work depending on who is writing them. Competency is key here, both in fiction and in the process of writing it.

>"not having my Patrician Vertigo tastes"

Attached: Tips.jpg (900x900, 69K)

Doom outwitting Mephisto in Triumph and Tragedy is 5x anything Constantine has pulled on the Lords of Hell.
Constantine's plots rely on his enemies being utter retards who will take no notice of him contracting his soul out over and over again, because they are binging their favorite shows or something.

Attached: 1431398536366.jpg (552x442, 51K)

>Shitting on "Dangerous Habits" to prop up "Doom defeats gods with a machine" stories
Yea Forums has gone to shit completely, huh?

No, but since you got here it has been in serious decline, I have to admit.

It's not my fault Rick keeps meatshielding for his girlfriend so she can fireball everything without having to think. If he played right and made her fend for herself my sneak attacks would be the only thing keeping the group alive.

Surfer is a an alien enhanced with cosmic power granted by an even more technologically advanced alien.
It's like you've only read 5 years of comics and like to pretend to know what you are talking about. Its almost cute.

>Doom outwitting Mephisto in Triumph and Tragedy
You don't even remember the story you are praising. Chances are you haven't read it at all and only praises it because every other Marvel fan does it as well.

Let me tell you a secret: Dr. Doom is not the masterpiece of literature you think he is, and praising his stories doesn't make you smart.

Nah, I like being the skill monkey or the face. I may not be able to button mash everything into oblivion like a magelet, but I have more fun thinking of ways to overcome things and I have a tangible use to the group in the many non-combat scenarios we'll encounter.

Are you retarded? Doom "betrays" Strange so that his Mother will reject his evil ways, redeeming her soul in the process. Mephisto gets pissed and tries to destroy Strange and Doom behind a mystic shield (Mephisto has turned Ma Doom into a statue to keep her imprisoned in Hell), and Doom has Strange open it so that Mephisto destroys his Mother's prison, releasing her from Hell.
Mephisto is going to destroy them, but realizes their selfless act will just release THEM if he kills them now.

It's far more intelligent than spamming soul-contracts because Hell Lords are dumbasses who wouldn't just time-share out Constantine torment for all eternity.

Attached: 1544255989202.jpg (1193x1380, 877K)

Elementary Sherlock could

>"Me against Satan? I will manipulate Satan into drinking beer that was originally holy water, and then turn it into holy water again when it is already in his belly".
Honestly that was pretty retarded. I'm pretty sure if you're Satan and have been around for thousands of years dealing with all sorts of entities who hate you and want to harm you that you would pick up at some point the basic notion of "don't accept drinks from others, least of all others who have really good reason to try to harm you with some magical bullshit you might or might not be vulnerable to with varying degrees."
I mean, he certainly wasn't omniscient and came into existence because of magic God shenanigans, and he was prudent and uncertain about how everything in reality works enough to assume a couple other demons far less powerful than he is were legitimate enough threats to where he agreed to co-rule Hell with them even though he totally didn't need to do that. So the least he could do along those lines would be not accepting drinks.
Pic unrelated in that it wouldn't work, but still at least Batman knows enough to do that much habitually.

Attached: ForceOfHabit.jpg (600x937, 115K)

>Female
>Super-Intelligent
Suspension of Disbelief Status: Broken.

ere you go me lad

Attached: sherlock smart people are wizards.png (915x933, 223K)

This

Especially great if used against clever or genius characters and the brute just overpowers their shenanigans.