How's Your Webcomic? #574

What was the hardest thing for you to learn, either skill-wise or emotion/mentality?
Alt Q: What is your creative process when it comes to making characters, stories, layouts, etc?

Don't just post an image, let us know what your comic's called, and link us to it!

>/hyw/ CONTACT SHEET - add your webcomic site, contact information, etc
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

> DRAWING PRACTICE and TUTORIALS
Ctrlpaint.com
drawabox.com/
line-of-action.com/
quickposes.com/en

> STOCK IMAGES and REFERENCE
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/
Character Design: pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

> FONTS
Blambot: blambot.com/
Create your own: calligraphr.com

> WEBSITE
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Don'ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
Promoting your comic: miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

> ART and WRITING RESOURCES
makingcomics.com/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
.../invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
.../invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
pastebin.com/BSVaT7uQ
/a5UmYWhT
/eTqaESTc
/pVkAE4uX

> PODCASTS and VIDEOS
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
John Cleese on Creativity: youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
Terrible Writing Advice: youtube.com/channel/UC3ogrx6d9oohf6D42G44j1A

>Brush Packs
CSP: mega.nz/#F!5xlV2IzJ!bg8BZB-oYaVrmD31S3fJHw

Previous thread:

Attached: hywj2.jpg (1200x1165, 2.61M)

Other urls found in this thread:

tapas.io/episode/1272284
tapas.io/series/The-Concord-Initiative
comicadia.com/presents/comic/the-bekkoning/the-bekkoning-page-four/
tapas.io/episode/1422665
tapas.io/episode/1448123
character-limit-blog.tumblr.com/post/185912616125/last-two-chapters-ready-set-go
tapas.io/series/Hermes-and-God
youtube.com/watch?v=l_MyUGq7pgs
patreon.com/GalooGameLady
tapas.io/series/Wasted-Homeland
tapas.io/episode/1448829
smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=180646
tapas.io/series/monvana
instagram.com/monvana.comic/
youtube.com/watch?v=euTe191sAWg&feature=youtu.be&t=574
desuarchive.org/co/thread/108377540/
m.tapas.io/series/Dark-Ages
tapas.io/series/The-Power-of-Stardust
tapas.io/series/The-Trespasser-and-the-Architects-of-Dreams
justsketch.me/
youtu.be/0k0O8jp3SkA
tapas.io/episode/1448420
youtube.com/watch?v=6BzCDVR-tr8&ab_channel=larsmartinson
youtube.com/watch?v=26wEWSUUsUc
youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI
webtoons.com/en/challenge/almaverse/chapter-1-part-4-hell-house/viewer?title_no=301806&episode_no=4
webtoons.com/en/challenge/vector-raster/list?title_no=312225
youtu.be/BsHT1fYouYU?t=1269
tapas.io/series/MikoMooMaa-Mininini
tapas.io/series/PREDATHEOSIS
predatheosis.tumblr.com/
webtoons.com/en/challenge/predatheosis/list?title_no=227480
newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1434168/1
newgrounds.com/art/view/prov22/predatheosis-1-russian-translation
tapas.io/episode/1450352
tapas.io/episode/1450178
webtoons.com/en/challenge/eerily-lovely/list?title_no=255060
eerilylovely.smackjeeves.com/comics/2818904/spook-spell-fin/
tapas.io/series/Ibrahim-Coyle
webtoons.com/en/challenge/ibrahim-coyle/list?title_no=270091
tapas.io/episode/1439242
tapas.io/episode/1450580
webtoons.com/en/challenge/cardinal-junction/converging-paths-page-08/viewer?title_no=196040&episode_no=13
cardinaljunction.smackjeeves.com/comics/2819068/page-08/
tapas.io/episode/1449905
tapas.io/episode/1426039
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What was the hardest thing for you to learn, either skill-wise or emotion/mentality?
Getting distracted by family.
>Alt Q: What is your creative process when it comes to making characters, stories, layouts, etc?
There isn't really a structured creative process, the story of my webcomic is on my mind all the time as I daydream. Also some locations and characters that appeared in my dreams are used for my webcomic.

>/hyw/ is full of inspirationlets

Attached: 046-Penguin.jpg (765x2853, 447K)

Finished this page!

Attached: page 2.png (2250x3300, 2.28M)

writing pretty legibly on her own tummy

New page of this weekends very grim update.
Comic:
tapas.io/episode/1272284

>What was the hardest thing for you to learn, either skill-wise or emotion/mentality?
Im still struggling with everything but perspective is the thing that scares me most. I need mental prep when I have to apply it to a scene.

Attached: azz.png (896x1307, 780K)

When there's a will, there's a way, and no typos either, how out of character!

I asked this in the last thread but didn't get much of a response. How do you monetize on your work? Building off that, how do you get your work out there?

>but perspective is the thing that scares me most
You're doing a great job by just trying. I know it sounds cliche, but trying to do something and failing will give you far more experience than not trying and that genuine interest in trying is showing in your work.

>be me
>air acconditioner no more
>tomorrow i will rescue Granny from another state
>leaving me no time for Ghady
>mfw
At least i scanned the next page

Attached: Panel5.png (562x1066, 137K)

I had a lot of fun with this page.
This weekend's update will finally finish the exposition and I can start doing the fun stuff.

Attached: Tad Danger page 15.png (665x940, 567K)

Thank you, really, im really glad if thats the case. I feel I move forward but in a really ridiculously slow way. Might blame my anxiety for it.

For the next week ill try to tone down the character eyes. I made them too big lately for expression, went overboard with the anime-ness.

Attached: nightmare2.jpg (1020x1403, 390K)

I like these eyes!
It's taken me a while to realize that what makes eyes super expressive has little to do with their size, and everything to do with shapeliness, pupil size, how much that changes, etc. A ton of the eyes we think of as 'big' are just so very present they seem big.

Rau is hotter than her sister.

>Not done yet: Writing full stories, and Digital art
Inking is pretty hard. I can't get any line variation with my pen.

Tried foreshortening and character design gag Messed up the hands.
Is it normal to hate how you draw, and not be satisfied with it?

Attached: Twin Genie P3.jpg (1149x531, 240K)

Only with her horn intact.

Actually hating your art is really good at this stage. You're criticizing it, you're seeing your problems, and you're trying new things.
Now's the time when all that stuff about construction will REALLY help you out. You can draw a series of spheres getting larger as they get closer to the viewer, then draw the lines of the arm around them

Yeah, probably, I just kinda felt that my eyes were better when they were slightly smaller, like on the previous chapter. When making shocked expressions I tend to give them enormous eyes because I want to capture the same feel as my simplified storyboard.

>not liking abs and thirst
Dont tell Azu that.

Attached: memeing.jpg (905x393, 130K)

someday I hope people use panels from my comic as reactions

monetize in what way? selling the comic? selling products related to the comic? selling advertising space?

>The twinkle in his eye shows him people’s worst days as he makes eye contact.
>He is an eternal optimist to a fault and finds something beautiful in almost all of them, no matter how easy or hard they seem.
>The longer it has been of each one’s day, the happier the man is.
>An easy worst day tells of a happy life surrounded by caring people, while the hardest ones tell of the human’s spirit.

>Only one kind of day manages to bring down even his optimism: today.
>These people he sees need him, anyone, the most at that time.
>He just has no idea how to help them.

>He hates looking into mirrors because of this. >He just can’t help his optimistic self to try every morning, only to see that morning for himself.

On a scale of the crow movie to the crow comic, how cringy does this sound for a starting point? Pic related an old ink A3 of mine.

Attached: strawhatwip.jpg (752x492, 113K)

Let's just say you're a much better artist than you are a writer. It sounds like you might be ESL?

Not surprised, altho that's a gentle way to put it, what do you mean ESL?

english as a second language

Oh I'm retarded, but yea I'm not a native english speaker.

no prob, at least the subject matter is good. This is a nice concept.
If you post your scripts here, you can get some free proofreading. Though it seems like your errors are more in phrasing than the more common typos.

I still struggle a lot with anatomy and backgrounds. I really ought to do some more practice.

>Alt Q: What is your creative process when it comes to making characters, stories, layouts, etc?
A lot of daydreaming and then writing it all down. Constantly saving notes and outlines.

Love that pic haha

Great page!

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 8.27.02 PM.png (497x496, 282K)

Oh, can you give me examples from the earlier greentexts of the phrasing problems? If that isn't too much spoonfeeding.

Posting the last four pages. I have concerns.

Condense all of that into one simple sentence, and you will be in a much better spot.

Azu is objectively more appealing. People should not fall for the stammering, teary eyed child.

You'll get a more relevant answer if you post your work.

Attached: CI_Ch1_Pg77.png (940x1216, 579K)

Attached: CI_Ch1_Pg78.png (940x1216, 215K)

Attached: CI_Ch1_Pg79.png (940x1216, 361K)

Before, the page was empty. Now, I fear it may be too busy. There are four nightmare elements, which may be too many: first panel shadow, window shadow, king shadow, and shadow tendrils. I'm leaning toward the shadow tendrils being redundant.

Attached: CI_Ch1_Pg80.png (940x1216, 560K)

Best writing advice I ever received is brevity.
Just because you can write a lot doesnt mean you are saying a lot.
Make it concise and hit hard. Flowery language does nothing but muddy what you are trying to say.

I think it looks great right now. Much better than the first few drafts.
If you feel its too busy, I would say nix the tendrils and emphasize the shadow hands. Same on the last panel, a pair of looming hands would be very ominous.

Thanks, how's this?

>A hopeless optimist sees “snapshots” of people’s worst days on eye contact.

sounds 10x better

What comic is this?

Incredibly better.

sure thing, I can at least give you a starter pack. but beware, your issues are kinda subtle and hard to describe
>The twinkle in his eye shows him people’s worst days as he makes eye contact.
the twinkle is something other people see, so how is it showing HIM anything? is this a psychic power?
>eternal optimist to a fault
redundant, even if technically the meanings don't overlap that hard. and then you follow it up with the qualifier 'almost' so that kind of undoes the extreme you just established
similarly 'no matter how easy or hard they seem' isn't necessary, you could just stick with hard. and it's hard to tell what 'they seem' refers to. Like, how hard it is to find something beautiful in them?
>The longer it has been of each one’s day, the happier the man is.
... what does this even mean? the longer the day? the longer of something about each day? The other sentences are ambiguous, but this borders on nonsense
>an easy worst day
... so.. OF the people's-worst-days, the easy ones... okay, it sounds like what you're trying to say is that hard times are easier with supportive people around you? but the rest of this sentence, I'm lost.
>Only one kind of day manages to bring down even his optimism: today.
so we're not talking about a person's worst day here, we're talking about today... that's kind of shifting subjects in an odd way. and the rest of this doesn't seem to explain what makes today so bad
>These people he sees need him, anyone, the most at that time.
Okay so... today he's.. finding out people are in need, but adding 'the most at that time' at the end isn't how you specify that. I think you're trying to say "today more than ever, people need someone, anyone, even him"
>He just can’t help his optimistic self
tmesis is fine, but this is too awkward. you rarely want to split up 'himself'
>only to see that morning for himself.
lost me again. Are we changing subject again?
I think your desire to make things flowery is working against you

Oh yeah this is much more clear.

in the 4 panel, the hand is backward, be carefull next time! dee is a troll haha

I think that's supposed to be the heel of the hand rather than the thumb

Do I need a villain in my story to create conflict?

no, but it helps

Ok thanks, I understand those sound muddled so I'll try to clear those up.
I feel like my initial problems are in me trying to start off with an elevator pitch while trying to elaborate some ideas as they came to me. No wonder it ended up muddled.

>how is it showing HIM anything? is this a psychic power?
I'm not sure about that yet myself, but the mechanic should initially be clear: it shows him the snapshot like a dream you remember briefly while his eyes have a visible twinkle/gleam/clarity.

>redundant, even if technically the meanings don't overlap that hard
Fair point, thanks.

>you follow it up with the qualifier 'almost' so that kind of undoes the extreme you just established
I feel like without the "almost" the later part about today being the person's worst day spoiling his optimism come out of nowhere.

>'no matter how easy or hard they seem' isn't necessary, you could just stick with hard. and it's hard to tell what 'they seem' refers to.
I failed convey the idea some people have of a scale of what counts as "the bad day". How a person having lived a guarded life still has their worsts while other people having objectively had rougher lives might want to look down on guarded lives.

>what does this even mean? the longer the day? the longer of something about each day?
The longer it has been since your life's worst day, the better. Mfw I can't even phrase passage of time being a good thing.

>it sounds like what you're trying to say is that hard times are easier with supportive people around you? but the rest of this sentence, I'm lost.
Yeah I need to come up with a good way to talk about the "scale" of worst days without making it sounds like I'm looking down on ppl who've had objectively "easier" lives.

>so we're not talking about a person's worst day here, we're talking about today...
The day Twinkle-Eye sees the person IS the person's worst day. I see how I muddled it.

>Okay so... today he's.. finding out people are in need
Just the idea of people needing others on their worst day.

>you rarely want to split up 'himself'
Ok, so just lose the "optimistic" off the middle? Hammering that characteristic in a bit too much already?

>lost me again. Are we changing subject again?
Just trying to say that every morning he wakes up and looks himself in the eye in the mirror he realizes it's his worst day ever.

Thanks again for a row-by-row crit, I'm no horticulturist, but my stream of consciousness takes off very easily.

>every morning he wakes up and looks himself in the eye in the mirror he realizes it's his worst day ever.
oh I didn't pick up on that. of course, his power works on himself too.. ouch, that would suck. But why's each day the worst?
For that other part you could say "this optimist just can't help himself"
Stream of consciousness is a great way to be creative, it just requires editing later.

>why's each day the worst?
I try to keep self-insert to the minimum, but that's pretty much how depression and anxiety has been for me.

The Twink's reason for his worsts falls into the category of "I'll elaborate on that later" along with the specifics and origin of the twinkle for now.

okay, well i'll be interested in finding that out. Pretty neat you're putting your own experience into it.

an antagonist can be anything. the environement, the circumstances, the protagonist himself.
anything can cause conflict.
that being said, a villain is a tried and true way to do it.

Thanks, trying to keep the guy's crap believable (in a world with psychic-y "powers", sure) without inserting myself too much.

Source on your comic, my dude?

How do you stop watching the numbers fluctuate as hundreds of people read your comic each minute in Google Analytics? Its mesmerizing.

Not him, but Concord initiative.

Thanks.

Making explotaible panels its a good way of boosting your comic.

What an excellent time to get on the wagon!

tapas.io/series/The-Concord-Initiative

Attached: eeeeeeeeeeee02.gif (900x1622, 1.15M)

Im here to serve.

Gentlemen. Which one? A or B?

Attached: Richard A.jpg (3307x5184, 3.72M)

Attached: Richard B.jpg (3307x5184, 3.57M)

What did he mean by this?

Be more specific.

newest page

Attached: pg08.png (940x4754, 1.4M)

>What even the fuck are you?

Not to grade myself based on sheer productivity/quantity.

>What is your creative process when it comes to making characters, stories, layouts, etc?

It depends on the project. Character inspiration can come at any time, and sometimes I make worlds around the characters, sometimes it is the opposite.

Here's the latest Bekkoning page.
comicadia.com/presents/comic/the-bekkoning/the-bekkoning-page-four/

Attached: Bek1FINAL4.png (800x1036, 1.14M)

Are you the Transients guy?

>around greys... never relex!

B is cool!
A is gay. he have big trapezious? and stigmas in the hands? lame

Hey there, long time lurker, first time poster! This is my new webcomic, MONVANA. It's a Pokemon/Digimon-inspired comic I've been working on for over a year now. It just started (this is episode 2) but I've been having a great time working on it. I hope you all like it!

Attached: S1E2.png (940x1405, 1.4M)

>What is your creative process when it comes to making characters, stories, layouts, etc?

Usually for characters it would be some type of gimmick to them first or a role I want filled then I'll start designing them in my head. I usually start asking my friends for some input before I decide if I wanna continue.

New page of Tom N Artie Tales is up:

tapas.io/episode/1422665

Attached: TNA Mini 5 Letters Page 07-01.png (1032x1568, 2.4M)

And here are some of the characters that will appear in the next Tales story that I'm working on with the creator of Cyborg Kale. It's going to be about a shop owner who setup his store in one of the most dangerous dimensions for better business. He hires Tom and Artie along with another small band of mercs to act as a security for the store. Along with rescuing any customers unfortunate to D-Jump in outside the safety zone of the store.

Attached: KING TAKER.jpg (1170x1652, 1.12M)

Attached: QUATRO.jpg (1119x1545, 945K)

Attached: NATALIE .jpg (990x1524, 463K)

I go by feel. For my stories, I create the characters first and then the story and then go back and modify the character to smooth out the story. As for creating the characters themselves I just throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks. For example, I drew Merchant very differently the first time around. He was extremely tall and less friendly. I nearly dumped the character when I came back to him and changed the design a bit. Now he's short, friendly, and has a shop. Really, a lot of the characters I draw have been reworked a lot to fit the stories they're in now. I care for the environment. I recycle.

New Merchant & Pike. It's only been two years. :^)

tapas.io/episode/1448123

Attached: Ch2_Pg01.png (850x1275, 1.91M)

the one thing that gets me stuck on my comic is that my comic is going to be in the style of those shonen TCG mangas. before I can start I need to invent an entire card game for them to play in the comic. which is harder than it seems when you can't think consistent rules and keep changing them whenever I get another idea!

just copy another card game and modify the rules to fit your story

P R O C A S T I N A T E

character-limit-blog.tumblr.com/post/185912616125/last-two-chapters-ready-set-go

TWO MORE CHAPTER, 25 PAGES EACH

Attached: THE COMIC 125.png (1178x616, 91K)

Canna choose

This one.

i feel like one shade of gray in the last panel would have done a lot to help define what's happening. good shit though.

link plz. this looks good.

bitchin

Gotta go with B on this one.

I'm getting confident enough in my skills to be able to draw my comic! I'm officially starting production of TITAN BOUT. Main story is written, now time to thumb the shit out of my comic.

That's Ophélie. She's super tall, pack a punch and ridiculously rich.

Attached: IMG_20190628_204401.jpg (852x1118, 100K)

it's grey go away

How do you guys find time to work on your comic between your jobs and school? I'm barely home enough to touch my computer and I've been working on a single page for going on a month now.

youre not expected to do anything when you have both work and school. that is your life. It'll be over soon

Easy, i quit both job and school

Is your job not a 9-5? I work on mine from 8pm to 11:30 on weekdays and usually 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday.

The anatomy is getting better for the most part for sure, although a few things still kinda bug me.

For one, her breasts don't really look like they properly line up with her torso.

Actually, its bugging the hell out of me so I did a bit of a redline. I think her her ribcage needs to be a bit bigger, and so does her left breast. Either that, or her abs need to be rotated like, 20 degrees to the left to line up properly. Her breasts and abdomen aren't really even on the same plane.

Also....musclegirls aren't my dish to begin with, and the fact that her face looks like the face of a 12 year old makes this really uncanny and offputting to me.

Still, you've gotten quite a bit better than in your early days posting here for sure, I think.

Attached: mooscles.jpg (852x852, 76K)

different user, i think you're right about the abs. they're currently pointed off significantly to her left
Also agree on his improvement, especially the coloring and linework.

I wish!

Two jobs, half the days I work 12-16 hours and the other half I have classes followed by a 6-8 hour shift.

I'm thinking of really simplifying my process and doing something without color, but I think I might still be looking at a twice a month update schedule with something like that.

start looking into short cuts for your workflow too

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah i agree on the anatomy, the breasts and abdomen aren't lined up properly. I saw that after i finished inking but i was like: heh, too late.

But i'm glad the inking looks cleaner. As for her face, i'm trying to go for a line economy, less lines so people can project more? Again, thanks for everything. The redlining and all. It means a lot to me!

>half the days I work 12-16 hours and the other half I have classes followed by a 6-8 hour shift.
Yeah I'm sorry user, but you're not going to make a comic. You're going to slowly develop major health problems. You literally cannot get enough sleep or have time to eat or grocery shop or anything on that schedule. Don't make things worse by fretting over your dreams, you have bigger and more immediate concerns.

Originally was going to make it into a webcomic but there is a chance I could get published by a small time publisher. Should I hold off?

why? show the publisher you have a built-in audience.

i skipped a month
but here is the latest chapter with cover
tapas.io/series/Hermes-and-God

Attached: c.5 cover.jpg (940x661, 163K)

>small time publisher
This isn't 20 years ago, user. Webcomics are some small time publisher's bread and butter, Just look at all the webcomics who have had successful kickstarters. Having a webcomic set up with an audience just waiting to go to physical print is not a negative trait.

Plus if you wait to publish it for people to see, you'll have to wade through all the legalese associated with publishers. Do you still own your IP once a contract is signed? How much and what kind of rights are you signing off? Can you continue creating your story, or other stories in the same universe, if the publisher drops you? Are you allowed to self publish, or publish elsewhere if your publisher drops you?

Ultimately it's up to you, but personally I'd rather walk into a publishing deal with the upper hand of a successful comic rather than taking whatever deal they hand me with a promise that it's the "best you'll get".

I think you have more chances being self employed like comicsgate. They make crazy money, considering they are indi.

Yes.

Thanks guys.

someone give me a short comic idea i can do for class

a cute little wild boar going on a wild scrubland adventure

robot girl meets a cute little wild boar

a cat and a dog find a way to steal treats from the closet when human isn't home

Finished a second drawing. Design not finalized and some parts are basically place holders.

Attached: robot catgirl.png (960x1280, 143K)

very constructiony. Always nice to see more robots/

>A samurai fighting a Jedi. The samurai survives for at least 9 panels

>this song except it's a modern military
youtube.com/watch?v=l_MyUGq7pgs
also if anyone else follows that link, bookmark it-saves time

>day to day runnings of a steampunk airship

Far as I can tell you genuinely get a better as a webcomic artist... assuming you're publishable
patreon.com/GalooGameLady
tapas.io/series/Wasted-Homeland
This lad is getting $350-ish/page for Fallout fanfiction

Otherwise ask Haze/Tom N Artie Tales,I think he's been approached about making it a comic

why aren't there more cooking and/or porn webcomics?

most comic artist don't know how to cook
blueboard, nsfw comics wont be posted here check the other boards.

I can't tell any story about cooking.

>porn comics?
I have dignity.
>cooking comics?
I have dignity, but I don't have skills.

>cooking webcomic
Wasn't there a guy that pops in every so often with a webcomic of a restaurant starting up? There was a really short girl and and a former prison cook

im back!
its the title is too much? the second option is "Cornstach"

Attached: pat 03 test text 8x.jpg (800x1133, 137K)

the guy with a butt for a head is being fed just cornstarch? looks like maybe a leaf on top?

They are the big poor
in my country we eat corn with chesse tomato sause and laurel (the leaf)

that sounds like a fine meal (didn't know you could eat laurels)
but in that case, the title is confusing, since he's having corn, not cornstarch..

ANOTHER page. Tried my all but now I see some failures. Oh well. Guess thats the point.

My comic can be read here
tapas.io/episode/1448829

smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=180646

It has cute oni girls doing oni things. But oni things for real.

What is it gonna be about?

Attached: 66.png (912x1255, 788K)

It took me longer than it should to notice those are faces, given that whole "people automatically see faces in random shapes" phenomenon. I thought they were legs, squid tentacles, or guitar necks floating around inside transparent brown orbs
Not sure if it would contradict what's going on here, but if there was a little glow added to the eyes and mouths, that would help. It's a really easy effect if you don't know how to do it

If I make a porn + cooking webcomic, would you read it?

Thank you! Here's some links:
tapas.io/series/monvana
instagram.com/monvana.comic/

Also as a little bonus here's some thumbnail sketches from the first comic. I went thru several drafts to try and get the layout right, these are from the cutting room floor

Attached: IMG_2795.jpg (4032x3024, 1.63M)

>Glow

How do I add that? I have been wanting to add a glow to several things but never found the tool on photoshop.

Dont worry if it is a bother I can always google it too.
The faces were based on an effect of magma that looks like people when you arent looking so... Well, it is what it is.

Hey I just wanted to let you know I've been lookin forward to Tom n Artie for awhile and I had no idea you started releasing stuff, so this is a great day for me

1. select the bits in question (in this case all the orange bits)
2. paste a copy of them as a new layer. Then do it again
3. turn the top one white or a lighter, brighter version of the color
4. blur the one underneath. gaussian blur usually does the trick
5. duplicate the blur layer and blur it further? or duplicate the original and blur it less this time. Keep layering blurs until it looks right, you're just making the color halo. it's the bright, discrete top layer that looks the most right
6. consider making a copy of the bright top layer and blurring it just at the edges, to really emphasize that light coming out, or alternatively, duplicate one of the blur layers with holes in it for the original, put that on top, and blur it a little so the color-halo overlaps the bright top layer a bit.

if you do look it up to find it explained better, you'll want to search for like, lightsaber blade tutorial.

Not bad, added to library. Though I generally find it hard to laugh at satire of things that are already being pretty heavily attacked and that I enjoy and have trouble defending my use of, like cereal and tv, those are solid jokes.

that's the difficult way to do it. Just put the yellow on a separate layer, right click and select blending options. there's literally settings for inner and outer glow there you can play with till you get the effect you want.

how do people design characters? i'm trying to do something skintight with sci-fi elements similar to power rangers or plugsuits from eva.

Keen. Never heard of that. Clipstudio have that too?

oh and is there a way to make the glow thicker on thicker pieces of a thing, and thinner on the thinner ones? lightning looks bad if it's a uniform-pixel-width of the glow

Im gonna try these both. Though for the next page probably since it also includes glowy faces. Wish the best for me.

Next week its gonna end the chapter.

ill fix that page when i reupload the entire chapter on tapas once its done

CSP doesn't have the same setting but you can create the same effect. Few different ways to do it. You can mash up a layer property border effect & layer color replacement... a correction layer, blending properties shenanigans, or just use a multicolored neon type brush to start

Not that I know of. If it's a huge bother you can always merge that layer with a new one to make the glow settings permanent then hit it with an eraser, smudge, or blend tool in the spots that bother you.

That's a lot of work for something that would need to be customized at every pixel to look right. I need to figure out how the pros do it. It's probably a different kind of blur, one that isn't defined by a set number of pixels which it blurs out to that distance.

Check your contour types. you could also be just working at too low DPI or low an image resolution to get the smooth effect you're looking for. googling for a 'pro method' is just gonna point you right back at that tool so have fun.

no I mean, you draw your ass a lightning bolt, right? Big thick main bolt, a lot of little sub-bolts coming off, becoming thinner as they go out
if you try to make a copy of that and gaussian blur it, it asks you how many pixels to blur it out to... and then you get a halo of a uniform thickness. What you want is brighter, thicker haloing around the main shaft and less on the thinner bits.

You're looking for a gaussian blur with a blending property effect.

huh, okay! apparently that's what clipstudio has, because I just tried gaussian blur and got exactly the result I wanted.
in photoshop it never worked properly for me. I guess i missed the blending property option

Drafts of next weeks' pages. I'm excitied and anxious to try my hand at landscapes.

Attached: CI_Ch1_Pg81.png (940x1216, 808K)

Attached: CI_Ch1_Pg82.png (940x1216, 551K)

Composition here is really bad to me in this page

The fuck you on about

Is it that I don't have enough sky space? It suddenly struck me that there's something fundamentally awkward with the diagonal panel. Perhaps just having it be a horizontal strip on top, leaving a big patch of overcast sky?

I think it's just the tilt.

you have two competing picturesque scenes. pick one or blend them into each other.

I dunno, I think the towering windows fading to towering mountains is pretty nice

they're at two different angles. dutch angle versus head on. both are competing for the reader's attention on one page. They would work better as seperate pages or place at the same angle and blended in/faded into each other. having a solid border just highlights the competition.

Why does it matter if they both "competing"?

Something like this, perhaps?

Attached: CI_Ch1_Pg81.png (940x1216, 921K)

Don't worry, it gets to fun character writing, wacky creatures, and adventure soon. These first couple of "dad" pages are kinda to lure in casuals. I low key have an ulterior motive of writing a Pokemon comic for people who don't like Pokemon

Yeah that's why I was the one posting . the tilt does nothing good.
what if the scenes literally transitioned, as if you could see the windows continuing and mountains springing up and there's this vague 'are we outside now?' thing until you realize it was a scene transition
or not
I am so down. What if I like pokemon, but I have enjoyed exactly one decision they've made in the last decade?

it means the composition breaks up page flow and the reader loses emersion.

was trying to convey one or the other of these. still of the opinion that they would work better as separate pages seeing and how your trying to end on a dark emotion then transition into an uplifting one.

Attached: angles.png (875x565, 484K)

So much better.

Yeah I first started out as wanting to make it a published comic but went webcomic cause it fell more in line with my schedule. Originally I approached three publishers and Action Lab wanted to publish me. I decided webcomic route by then in order to build up an audience and work on my own terms so I told them no.

For some reason like 4 months later they approached me again saying they wanted to go through with a publishing deal. I dunno if it was a loss of communication, things were slow to go up the chain or something. I took a month to think about it, read over the contract (didn't find a lawyer but had options of some), talk it over with my artist and editor. Eventually I still told them no because my life was already busy so I couldn't add a deadline of something into my life at the time. Webcomics is easier for me since you can better adapt to a schedule you set down.

Glad to hear it! I'm guessing you were waiting since the summer storytime thread I did last year?

Then you'll probably enjoy Monvana, it's written to capture the spirit of Pokemon, that feeling of optimism and adventure. (Also I'm a die-hard fan who's enjoyed every mainline game so far but I can see why not all of it is for everyone)

Does drawing new stuff or drawing in general ever get easier? It seems really hard.

How many years have you ground?

yes and no? when working on a project it can feel really difficult... but the before and after kinda has me judging the work being easier than it is, cause i have the skill/knowledge to do the task.

>wanted to MSPaint a ton of videogame/comic book characters to demonstrate that anyone can redepict a strong design, in anticipation of exactly this post
>forgot to do it
Fuck.
>1 or 2 major colors,
>Try to avoid making it too complex or impossible to undetail if they're going to be on screen a lot
>lots of triangle shapes in the design represent aggression, squares solidity, and circles... exist?
>What a character carries on them can say a lot about them, outlook/history- weapons, utilities, charms, scars. Possibly tattoos, but I can't think of any characters with tattoos they didn't receive in a robot concentration camp
>How a character holds themselves and how they move also says a lot about their personality
>Da Video if you haven't seen it
youtube.com/watch?v=euTe191sAWg&feature=youtu.be&t=574

... But what I would have said if I had that page ready is, what details do they absolutely gotta have and what is their personality or function in the story?

Attached: Buzz Lightyea.jpg (960x720, 96K)

Years? No.
>youtube.com/watch?v=euTe191sAWg&feature=youtu.be&t=574
tldr?

thanks for the tips, and it's basically sort of like a super sentai story where people get alien powers and the costumes are inspired by that. there isn't much difference to the designs aside from the base color and the shape of the visor on their helmet and middle of the suit.
any critiques appreciated.
>pic related

Attached: PSME sketch.jpg (2576x1932, 2.29M)

Designs shouldn't be created in t-poses. Even turn-arounds are usually in some other pose.

Hmm I like this. I like these designs and I like this art. If you can't decide between the two on the right, make one of them the sixth guy whose costume is a little different.
I don't love the geometric-shape visors though. I didn't like them in ohranger either, though at least you don't have the weird sculpted-mouths-without-a-mouthplate thing. your blank mouths are better.

Designs are usually in neutral standing poses like this (T-poses are with the arms out at the sides), user. You don't know what you're talking about.

literally go look at any model sheet

Okay user, let's make it interesting
if I can post 3 model sheets in neutral standing poses like this, you have to apologize to sentai user

user, these threads are frequented by retard trolls. just save yourself the time and go work on your own project.

you're completely right. they're initial designs and i've never seriously created characters before so i'll try and replicate model sheets to get more fleshed out ideas for designs.
>geometric-shape visors though. I didn't like them in ohranger
good point, but my initial idea for it was trying to make them be easily distinctive in black and white, but i should try and come up with more unique, shapes that fit the more alien elements.

Attached: gokaiger.png (1280x720, 1010K)

Oh well it's true i didn't discuss about it very much but titan bout is a story about mechs sports, strong girls piloting them and toxic love stories. Basically a cool comic. I'll try to pitch it to french publishers while doing it as a webcomic!

This looks good.

Where can i read your stuff btw?

I have to make a website still. I'll probably do it once I get done writing the third issue. Until then you can read it here: desuarchive.org/co/thread/108377540/

I'm not going to dump it again any time soon since it'd seem spammy.

The second issue will definitely be up online.

>t=574
>lots of triangle shapes in the design represent aggression, squares solidity, and circles... exist?
>in general
find the time

definitely make the visors larger, first and foremost- Hollywood does this all the time where they light up the inside of character's helmets so you can see the actors in them emoting. Reason I was talking about feel and personality and shit is that it's easier to determine what needs to be in the story. Helmets need to be expressive but also look awkward/vulnerable/cheap? They have a gorget/neck brace piece and a bubble around the head. Suits are used outside of mechs? It has mountings for more plating like Fallout recon armor, or tactical rigging. Suit is expensive and only meant for one person? It has dog tag information running down the side of the leg. Suit given out by a fantastical source instead of a government? Mood of the story also determines what's out of place and can't be suggested- I was going to give a toolbelt as an example of someone personalizing their suit but I don't think I've ever seen a sentai where that wouldn't be out of place.

>super sentai story
In hindsight wrote this assuming they were just plugsuits from Eva-temporary clothes for the mechs. Sorry. Theory and some examples possibly still valuable.
Best overall question
>PSME
>acronym
Would these have been given out by the military? How much flair can they have? And do the alien powers modify the design?

Reminds me of that guy in the grizzly bear armor.

Just curious. How much money does your comic make from Patreon?

Whose comic?

m.tapas.io/series/Dark-Ages

the whole first part of my comic is finally finished for anyone who likes dick jokes and the color turquoise

Attached: vladgifbige.gif (1000x1000, 399K)

ClipStudio literally has a layer type called Add (Glow)

New Stardust!
tapas.io/series/The-Power-of-Stardust
New Trespasser!
tapas.io/series/The-Trespasser-and-the-Architects-of-Dreams

It's like a superhero power-hour on the internet!

Attached: 20-page.png (810x1268, 701K)

That sometimes you have to work a lot to make very little and to be satisfied with failure.

You got anxiety problems to? Hand in there! Also, is that a Getter Robo/Devilman reference?

Flukeman got buff.

>Hand in there!
>Hand
I don't know what you expect them to do, but you do you i guess

Yep, in a "I NEED TO FINISH THIS PAGE ASAP" way. I should probably give myself a day to rest and look at my pages calmly before publishing them, I tend to notice a lot of mistakes the day after.

Pic unrelated I just did this with no effort for fun.

>mech sports
Im in. Ready to pick a waifu.

Attached: azu tam shu.jpg (2500x1667, 1.05M)

Now I just need to get my colorist to work on these two...

Attached: Richard solo color.jpg (3307x5184, 2.26M)

Attached: Richard monster form solo color.jpg (3307x5184, 2.45M)

Hey! you are a profesional or something! cool

Nope!

I am just a guy who hires people better than myself.

but you draw that cool monster?

Nope.

I just came up with the initial concept and then relayed that information to the artist. After that we discuss adjustments and then finalize the concept.

The workflow goes like this:

>Write the description(s)
>Collect images where applicable
>Provide context through these

And then, first concepts:
Followed up by

>Give input and oversight
>Make adjustments
>Finalize

We're on the last character now for the second issue, and then we'll be moving onto thumbs for the pages based upon my script.

you are a writter! (and editor) your drawer is great, pay him well hahaha

justsketch.me/ Do you use sketch dolls /hyw/?

STILL
THE
BEST

no

That's cheating

>cheating
bad logic user. tracing is 'cheating' because you're not learning anything while doing it. but using a pose reference? no, because you're actively trying to teach your brain to recognize the correct way to draw that pose. it's also why most good artists will grab a reference of some sort when making art/comics.

>artists using reference for professional work
What a load of shit. A good artist is able to draw anything without a reference.

Trying to justify it doesn't make it not cheating.

ask me how i know ya'll are shit artists?

youtu.be/0k0O8jp3SkA

Yeah, those Renaissance guys were hacks, getting people to sit still so they could draw their faces, instead of just know what their client looked like without having met them.

Hardest thing for me was (and still is) time management.

Other than that, I do sometimes wish I could redo the beginning of the comic and upgrade some art here and there, but those feelings never last since I doubt it'd be worth the trouble. And it is kinda cool to see the art progress through the chapters.

Attached: PG229.jpg (700x990, 984K)

Who The Hell is Alex Ross?

>Alex Ross
Opinion discarded, he's a proven tracer and photomanipulator that splices photographs into his paintings as part of the photorealistic process. He's a fraud.

Get a life, half this thread is better than him.

>not taking shortcuts and using references
Look at this boomer.

Saving this for future pasta.

shh, be gentle just because he never learned to draw feet doesn't mean he needs to know.

Not giving a crap.
Character designs usually just come to me. I had one character basically break a window, crawl in, raid my fridge and then sleep in my bed. The few times I've intentionally designed a character, I simply toss desired traits at it and see what sticks.
When I have longer storylines, I set key points up like slalom gates and then approximate how many strips I need to turn there. The indivdual strips are 1. collect ideas 2. write a rough description of what goes on in each panel 3. draw a storyboard and write down snippets of dialog 4. draw characters and props 5. scan, clean and composit them 6. finally make up and write the dialog.

tapas.io/episode/1448420

Attached: comicpage.png (425x18, 8K)

This just in! Japanese pose books are cheating! 3d models are cheating! looking in a mirror is CHEATING! more news at 11.

>Japanese pose books are cheating! 3d models are cheating!
Yes, these are

This is all subjective but yeah, looking in a mirror is on the same level as references. It’s basically cheating.

youtube.com/watch?v=6BzCDVR-tr8&ab_channel=larsmartinson
Honestly i would rather cut corners like crazy (not being lazy like tim buckley) and put out more content than waste years like this guy.

>looking in a mirror is CHEATING
I've never seen a good artist use a mirror before.

I really hope you idiots are all secretly the same person. No dipshit, tracing is bad but references are good

Attached: 'you see, he's just a man'.jpg (1497x180, 30K)

Reminder that all this "good artists don't use references" malarkey is bait.

Right?! Fucking amatures using mirrors, i mean, who does that?!

Attached: mirror-olliejohnston.jpg (580x580, 59K)

Animators can't draw. Take a note from the Japanese.

It's OK bud, lots of people prominent in the japanese manga and anime industry cant draw.

pls dont figth on Sabbath, its not ok

These last dozen or so posts have been a real eye-opener into why many comic creators in these threads suck or never improve and why exceptions to that majority end up leaving. You can't help those that don't want help or are incapable of understanding you're trying to help them. Making excuses and dragging down others ability to improve are their best skills.

It's Saturday.

And you know what they say...

youtube.com/watch?v=26wEWSUUsUc

Based Otto hitting the jackpot.
I keep telling you guys he's the best.

>tfw use refs, use dolls, copy poses, photobash, trace and use stabilizers and no one has ever called me out on it
stay mad talentfags

Stabilizers are unironically trash though. Unless you're going for some super cartoony style, "perfect" lines just don't look good.

That's a coloring type, not a 'create a halo around it' effect. I do use add(glow) all the time though.

sometimes, for tough poses. I don't trace them though

gorgeous paint here

Guys stop falling for bait

Bought csp, but I don't have a tablet yet.
The line quality got worse when I used the paint bucket tool and I couldn't keep my hand steady for the big circles.

Does the foreshortening or gesture look bad here? Is it because the eyes are supposed look straight down?

Attached: trad-digital-color.png (1137x415, 235K)

>The line quality got worse when I used the paint bucket tool
turn the 'tolerance' to 0
>and I couldn't keep my hand steady for the big circles.
takes a lot of practice. youre generally gonna wanna draw a million fast circles for every circle, then go back over it slowly, selecting the right one you made on like your 70th try. but hey, there's a circle tool, and it's a lot better than photoshop's, so...
>Does the foreshortening or gesture look bad here?
fraid so. If you hadn't said so, I wouldn't have picked up that's even what it was supposed to be. Of course, the SHOW also had terrible, terrible perspective. Remember to think of a tube as a series of circles. go ahead and draw those circles on your construction sketch phase.
>Is it because the eyes are supposed look straight down?
no, the eyes appear to be the one on-model part of this. Except they aren't looking straight down. they're currently looking up and to her left. Or by 'supposed to' do you mean you feel expected to for some reason? You'll have to explain.

use the vector layers and their editing functions, using a mouse is a bitch.

trick for foreshortening
youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI

Thanks, I really got a nice chance to explore some dry brush tecniques with that page.

I haven't drawn this weeks page and I don't think I have time to. I was able to get google adsense ads onto my site finally. here's a drawing of luffy.

Attached: luufywarmup.png (2000x2700, 659K)

oh I fucking missed where he said he doesn't have a tablet yet
yeah basic drawing is not going to be possible until then, so don't worry.

god damn, great job there. good cloth folds.

I'm going to call you out on it now. You might think you're clever, but one day someone will realize how unethical you are and your reputation will be destroyed.

There's still time to change though, I hope you can do it before it's too late.

I m still struggling with backgrounds and perspective, it kinds of still scares me to do, specially because I tend to erase a lot and messe the page up

Also I updated my webcomic if anyone is interested.

webtoons.com/en/challenge/almaverse/chapter-1-part-4-hell-house/viewer?title_no=301806&episode_no=4

>using refs, dolls, stabilizers
>bad

Attached: 1472367343230.png (1102x1100, 143K)

>turn the 'tolerance' to 0
How do I do that? I don't see anything with that name.
>fraid so
The gesture as well?

oh i liiike this style. you haven't posted this here before have you?

Look don't worry about it, you'll get good at gesture when you have a tablet.
>no 'tolerance'
oh I guess CSP doesn't have that. Explains why I haven't had to mess with it. It does have 'color margin' which is a way to, say, fill a bunch of similar colors (e.g. a soft-painted area) at once.
In that case, maybe I misinterpreted you. You're not talking about fillbucket eating up and modifying your lines, are you. Are you talking about it leaving gray around the lines, if they're anti-aliased? or something like that?

>You're not talking about fillbucket eating up and modifying your lines, are you
Yes, I am. It's making the lines smaller

Put the color on a different layer, underneath the lineart layer.

That's weird. I'm not sure which setting that is, but there's not that many settings in fillbucket, so why not do a little quick scientific research? My guess is the anti-aliasing setting or the 'color margin' setting
also this. that's how the professionals work. but I think it's reasonable to want to get basic single-layer fillbucketing to work reliably.

Do you have a "group photo" of your characters? If yes post em.

oh by the way, if you want, proofreading can happen. If you wanna post your WIPs here or whatever. Personally I find Engrish kind of weirdly charming, but not gonna lie, yours is particularly bad.

I did this in traditional. The only thing I did in digital was converting it to lineart and coloring it quickly

oh i see! well in that case, the same principles of sketching can apply. Plus in physical media you can trace things for circles.

Here's a new strip, and I also put the comic on webtoon:

webtoons.com/en/challenge/vector-raster/list?title_no=312225

Attached: Vector-and-Raster-3.png (1629x1190, 397K)

this is good clean cartooning. so it started out as just stream of consciousness warmup but it goes somewhere later?

>omits copying poses
no different than using a ref

Ah thanks! I've actually had the main idea and a bunch of idea/story notes for a couple of years. Right now I'm coming up with what happens as I draw it but eventually I'll make a rough roadmap of events.

Based and redpilled, reminder to make a few edits so the lines don't perfectly align, then nobody can ever say you traced. Photobashing/tracing has become industry standard at this point, some rabble rousers might try to give you shit but in the end only the product matters. No rules, only tools

Attached: 1506271886606.jpg (1157x1410, 304K)

Nice watercolors.

yeah missed that one.

How does it feel not being in the secret webcomic artists club where we decide what's going to be popular each week?

At least i don't need to dilate an open wound every day.

I'm already in KAW discord tho

This is nice, if a bit unoriginal.

Is that Discord still going?

Is there anyone from here or the discord who is actually popular?

I don't think so, but then again, no one is allowed to be popular. Yea Forums is basically a bucket of crabs.

Sword guy is getting there.

boys land guy is sorta popular, I really like his work anyway, so he's popular to me

I'm not sure if it's a webcomic, but does anyone know the comic where a super man figure lifts a convertible with a family in it into the air and talks about how he is God before dropping them?

Irredeemable

Does anyone have any examples from some comics of girls in their mid-teens? I am talking to my guy and I feel we're off the mark. This feels like early twenties to me.

Attached: Lyli.jpg (3307x5184, 2.5M)

Maybe, but you'll never ever get to become a good artist without using references to get there.

Sword Guy getting popular is proof there's no just God.

If you think there's a discernible difference, you need to look at more people.
And if you want me to look at the image for you, you need to resize it.

Who is sword guy? Never heard of him and I've been here for years.

sword comic. the comic that's all swords and sword jokes.

Otto's relatively popular.

im too maladjusted for dischord. its Yea Forums is about my limit of social interaction.

Sword (((Jokes)))

just remind him that youthful faces are gonna have less details on the nose/mouth, rounder cheeks and wider eyes to a small degree.

your guys work is really great, so keep with 'em

Attached: tweak.png (3307x5184, 3.6M)

That's a girl?

not everybody binges on traps like you do user

I'm serious. Is that character supposed to be female?

Looks like Max Jenius crossed with Batgirl of Burnside.

you might fit in on rejects discord..
I like it.

Otto isn't popular at all. The only people who care about him are a few Yea Forums shills.
If you're gonna talk about one of the big guys from /hyw/ at least bring up Mitch. Witch Ways Witch has a ton more readers than Otto's exposition dumps, and rightfully so.

Relatively user. Relatively.

I feel the same way, I don't like socializing with people in chatrooms or instant messages, it's awkward, I am a recluse and I prefer to stay anonymous like this forever.

Mitch is actually a super cool dude so I'm glad his work is getting recognized.

Going just on tapas numbers, Otto has almost as many views as Mitch with only 1/8th the subs. I think this means they have different audiences. Mitch has tapas users, Otto has people from Yea Forums/reddit.

Thank you, the adjustments are subtle but I can see them. I'll go back to him and see if we can make something of this.

Yup.

jej. Well she is supposed to be /something/ of a tomboy, or rather someone who has yet to come into their femininity as a result of having little in the way of female stewardship.

I also happen to like that look over this version.

He's trying to get published from what I read on the discord.

Aren't they friends?

Err, forgot pic.

Attached: Lyli op2.jpg (3307x5184, 2.68M)

Relatively unpopular

Otto has a site for non-Tapas readers, though. What it seems like is people check out Capeworld without actually bothering to follow.

Attached: www.png (486x310, 38K)

>Liked Batgirl of Burnside
user you have got to try harder.

hi, you first need to "isolate" the line, and then paint "under" the line
and then select a little more of what you want to paint (the line's gonna cover it)
i make the worst tut for you to illustrate the idea!

Attached: jenn color-fill tut.jpg (1350x3480, 3.57M)

Marketing is just another skill. If you need help, here I am.

Attached: Swords233t.png (1050x1307, 425K)

Mitch has a site for non-tapas readers as well though. Or did he delete that?

I've never read Batgirl of Burnside, I was talking about the picture I forgot to attach. () I am really not a fan of the headgear.

Her outfit is supposed to be loosely based on the Rocketeer's suit with some motorcyclist's gear. It's always bugged me that pretty much all Speedsters wear skin tight suits when they'd in theory have the most to worry about from road rash.

If it was a matter of people checking but not following Otto wouldn't have those kind of numbers. He's clearly got an audience outside of tapas. 42 episodes X 110 subs does not give you 22K.

Otto and Mitch are friends and there are actually people trying to pit them against each other for retarded reasons, mostly because they think it'll be funny if Otto and Mitch hate each other and are competing.

Pay no attention to them, and support both of them.

she needs a fanny pack with gadgets and guns or somethings
what her superpowers are? she doesn't seem to have any

She is a Speedster.

I like her honestly. I see her as probably 19 or 20? That's just me though.

41 Witchway episodes X 817 subs gets 41X817 gets 33497 views. So Mitch has fewer views that what his sub count would indicate, Otto more. Make of that what you will.

And that's where the problem lies, IMO.

Lily (the character) is about 15-16.

Please share your secrets. How did you make it big?

Ah, I don't really have any advice unfortunately for your problem. because the character design is great, but the perception of her visually is older for sure. Maybe in context she'll seem younger, I can't figure out her personality or height obviously from just a character sheet, so you might not be wrong with just the design. Don't feel discouraged my friend.

Can you tell us more about the character? She some kind of superheroine?

How about some juvenile detail? Something in the hair or clothes that screams highschool?or a runner uniform whit boots and glasses

Attached: unif.jpg (432x561, 61K)

this picture kind of illustrates why this is a pointless endeavor. Athletes just look old. their weirdly lean, muscular bodies and hard, bony faces... even like preteen gymnasts look like little old ladies.

>character design
One more thing I wanted to link, because it'd never get said otherwise
youtu.be/BsHT1fYouYU?t=1269
TL;DR a 'booktuber'/misc Youtube personality amuses herself by trying to reinterpret a boring Netflix christmas series as a subtle dystopic horror story, but one of her examples is explaining the show's intended visual storytelling. Might be worth a watch just for the clips she uses to illustrate her points, MC is the only live actor I've seen with actual character design

I'm making a lesbian comic, would anyone read it? Or should I go to tumblr?

I wasn't planning to make a whole series, but the first one got popular so I went "yeah, alright." and made a bunch more.

Just put your work out there and if nobody likes it, make something else. You can come back to your Magnum Opus later, with more skills and a following.
Prototype fast and discard what you need to quickly.

Attached: Swords232t.png (1050x1307, 515K)

it's just a generic prince costume

Did you know you're the living man with the most sword stories known to date?

is the focus on being lesbians or is that just a side note

What's the best site to market your shit?

I'll read it if it's mindless porn with no connection to real life or the concept of sexuality or any other modern issues.

Thanks for the compliment, and I will definitely be taking this into further consideration.

She's an aspiring superheroine.

I think I could expand on this in the comic itself. As you may have, or perhaps someone else, pointed out this singular pose and a lot of height chart makes it difficult to gauge these things. I probably shouldn't be getting so caught up in these details right now.

Sure.

That seems unlikely.

Reddit was where I got started - every post is a gamble though. Every downvote permanently lowers your chances of reaching the #1 spot for the day, and its only at the #1 spot your post migrates to /r/all where it can get a bunch more eyes on it.
I get about 1000 likes on Instagram in the first 10 minutes of posting a comic there, now that I have a following; while Reddit will still be about 10 upvotes in the first hour and is vulnerable to a single downvote killing its chances of going big.
If you make dumb stuff that people will naturally want to edit or share, you can get a lot of visibility from genre Instagram accounts stealing your posts and adding marketing shit to them - I get reposted to DnD influencer accounts all the time.
I haven't had massive success with Facebook, but I started that page way later than the others - I know some people who use it as their primary social media page with good success.

Attached: Swords236t.png (1050x1307, 430K)

the more I hear about marketing, the more I want zero part of it.

I'm a fairly successful comic creator on Reddit, I am not going to say who I am though. If you want to get big on there, you need to time your posts and buy upvotes. Every single person does this, I'm not joking. The next time you feel like posting a comic, go and buy 100 upvotes on a website that provides this service and you'll see what I mean. On average for every upvote I buy, I get 10 in return from regular users.

You wanna know the most depressing part? Sword guy is speaking about his experiences in advertising a non-sequitur gag comic.
With more story based webcomics like most of what gets posted in these threads, all your advertising work needs to go at least ten-fold
Well known story webcomics like lackadaisy, sleepless domain, avas demon, and others, they aren't the norm. They are outliers.

well I'm thinking of doing a way more mainstream appeal comic in the future, so I would hate to waste that and NOT get popular if there was some medium-effort way to do it.

That's fine, but don't assume people will just find you if you're not even thinking about where they're coming from.

I really got the impression all the good timeslots are taken by other more established, funnier, prettier artists, to be honest; so I just post whenever.
How much are you spending on these upvotes? It doesn't really seem worth it to me when I still sometimes trend anyway, and I could be putting that money in to things like... banners on other webcomic sites... or something like that.

Attached: Swords231t.png (1050x1307, 490K)

You can buy 100 for 20 bucks. I'd suggest doing it at least as an experiment. This will get you around the algorithm pushing your submission down, which is the biggest problem and you've seen that for yourself. I don't suggest you do this every time, but for exposure? It can certainly help.

it's the little things. the sword's eye is facing in a happy direction when it's planted, and when it's drawn, now that eye is upside-down, so it looks sad and defeated without any need to actually change it.
I dunno why people are so hard on you, but it's pretty clear you've got your shit together

It's set in modern times, dipshit. And the only character she's talking about is a woman. Watch the video in future

Attached: 1554517206842.png (291x321, 89K)

unless I was taking that money from reddit somehow, I would not be cool with that.

Not him but they still wear those outfits on formal occasions.

How long would you realistically wait before deploying this method? Surely a post 5 minutes old with 100 upvotes looks hella suspicious to mods.

Thanks, I think they just hate me because I'm ugly and have a bad personality.

Attached: Swords242t.png (1050x1307, 557K)

what fucking uncouth retard do you have to be to not choose A?

Finished this page!

Attached: page 3.png (2250x3300, 2.2M)

awful

good to see you don't use those damn cheaty references like those other terrible artists

It's cumulative. They sort of come in slow, but steadily. You'll definitely see the traffic change in your favor.

dont bully dewdy he like spunko and shit, he is a good boy

Dude. His jokes are anti-comedy.

giving him a compliment user

Huh? Cheaty references? like what?

Haven't had a lot of time to work on webcomics this past week, but I thought I'd share this quick drawing I just finished!

On a side note, Oni x Fox will be returning on July 2nd!

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 6.36.37 PM.png (585x559, 218K)

The threads on Yea Forums and /vg/ have been drowned for a while, so I might as well post it here.

> What was the hardest thing for you to learn, either skill-wise or emotion/mentality?

Probably, like many others here, I do not like to put work on a display. And while I am satisfied with the results, I do understand that this is not enough, and that for developing skills any resonable artist need some criticism, a fresh perspective, if you will.

And the thing is - the feedback I received was positive. but EXTEMELY rare. So I started asking myself, what I did wrong: is it because of unpopular genre/setting, or is it my style not attractive enough or the plot is bad...

Long story short - this thoughts are very distracting for me and I dont like it any one bit. Therefore, I keep doing what I love and keep living in the obscurity of my own happy ignorance.

Attached: the invisible - collage- visual novel.jpg (774x800, 331K)

I'm sorry you don't get how humor works
earlier some people were weakly baiting about using pose references etc

I despise you oniXfox. I despise you and your perfect happy life and genuine personality. I despise your guilelessness and sincerity. I HATE YOU.

Rude.

ONI X FOX IS A FUCK

I'm repeating myself a lot, but.. I just love them so much

Bait

Uh...., I guess those are not the worst things to be hated for.....

And it always makes me happy to hear! Thank you so much!!

i have posted before actually
will keep that in mind, dialogue is something i struggle to do too, i kind of have the dialogue in spanish in my head but when i translate it to english it´s sounds weird.

If it helps, amigo de los quadros, english sounds weird to us half the time too. It's a pretty shitty language.
But that's your fault for not taking over the world and establishing the lingua del mundo. You had a good start for a while there.

I'm a very lazy motherfucker, so forcing myself to make a comic every week really does help me to be more disciplined. it feels like having a second job, in a good kinda way.
ideas just come to me randomly. though I've noticed that if I see something really damn good/funny, it helps inspire some gags I come up with. if I think they're passable enough to make into actual comics one day, I write them down for use later. I've got about 140 written down so far, with thirty of them used.
as for the process of drawing the comic itself, I just do a small thumbnail sketch of the layout and make up everything else on the fly. I still really need to make a proper model sheet for my characters next time I get the chance so I won't have to look through a bunch of past comics for reference

>I write them down for use later. I've got about 140 written down so far, with thirty of them used.
warning from an oldtimer, that document is going to get stupid huge. If you can split them up by category, do so at your earliest convenience.

damn, I hadn't considered that. thanks for the heads up

They are so adorable. Love the odd friendship feeling.

Also hell yeah about Oni X Fox, Oni gang represent.

Attached: rau by Poty.png (2736x3616, 1.7M)

aint no party like an oni party
suddenly i want to see a humorous cartoon where some Peta types throw paint on an oni for wearing tiger skins

Thanks so much, Ardi!! I'm excited to expand more on their friendship in Space Pack!

Aw yeah! ONI GANG REPRESENT!! Finally going back to the Oni crew in my next chapter!!

Been trapped for two entire days without having an idea of how to move the story to the place I want it to go and establish the characters well enough...

Attached: fug.png (948x647, 377K)

>animal rights activists suffer multiple dismembered limbs during protest at local Oni's house.
>Police say that it was self-evident that injuries occurred from a 'trip and fall' and was purely accidental.
>no charges will be filed.

I wish I could draw this effortlessly

that or tossed to tigers where they either get a firsthand lesson in the food chain, or successfully procure a new skin in the process of self-defense. either way it's a win.

I do shit perspective and can't draw body language that well if it's any consolation

should I show my lovecrafian entity? I’ve thought of a really cool design for it, but at the same time, a big part of cosmic horror is said entity being beyond description.

Attached: 73BA8A09-5E55-4139-9113-4377139D53D3.jpg (943x1080, 162K)

After some back and forth, I think we're a lot closer now than we were before.

He definitely ended up making her look younger over the initial design (). I'm happy with that.

However there is one possible point of contention remaining. When I came up with the idea for this character, I decided that their outfit should in theory be something that they could plausibly make for themselves. Since the base outfit is basically a motorcyclist's protective gear, some knee pads, and a BMX helmet with some goggles I feel that this is pretty much on point with what I envisioned.

But, he wants to do different helmet designs. I am very much open to making a variety of outfits and equipment because a static suit can get boring after a while, and I've always fancied this idea of constant upgrades. Tony does it, other characters should do it too. But given the characters limited means at the moment, I feel this could be a bridge too far.

Attached: Lyli op2 helmet 1.jpg (3307x5184, 2.15M)

show parts of it but mantain most of it out of camera

This is the helmet he likes, but I have reservations about. It's certainly very "superhero-y", yet this probably clashes with the design document. I also feel it could be seen as a bit derivative given that the ear "spikes" sort of mimic the thunderbolts around the Flash's ears.

Perhaps I'll just tell him we should put this design on the backburner until a reasonable explanation can be found for why she'd have it.

Attached: Lyli op2 helmet 2.jpg (3307x5184, 2.27M)

just once I would like to see something like this depicted with reality literally warping around it
actually illustration might be a fantastic way to do this, since you could use messy techniques and make it hard for the audience to tell what part is the monster and what is just the surrounding furniture/etc being twisted around

I hate monster movies that do this shit

This is weird, I went through the same exact thing with a superhero concept once.
I suggest you draw a line, like basically she can get upgrades, but nothing beyond 80% of Adam Savage's abilities
it's believable and looks awesome. it's just less on-brand than the previous one given what you're obviously going for. I never saw 'Flash' with those ear spikes, I saw '90s western franchise robot character being slightly inspired by gundam and rockman characters, but having them only described vaguely by someone else'
Basically is your character the type who would MAKE a cool outfit just because it looks cool?

Thanks! And to answer your question, not really.

Like everybody though, she'd definitely appreciate something that looks good but I am trying to keep this somewhat grounded. At least with her, because she is the sort of person to ask "Well, if I eat shit with this, is it going to break? How heavy is it going to be to wear? What's my field of view going to be like?"

And I already know how to introduce this helmet into the mix for her. One of the other main character's (this dude) traits is object manipulation.

Attached: Mx colors.jpg (3307x5184, 1.7M)

oh so we've got crazy powers happening. Well that makes it okay then. I could go either way. I think you should have the firmness to veto what your artist wants to draw, but remember that the more interested the artist is, the better shit is going to look and the faster it's gonna get done. so at least throw him the odd bone.

Of course, I am in full agreement. I've already told him that we'll likely end up using that concept (if he still wants to) in the near future, so hopefully he will be amenable to this compromise.

that’s actually a good idea, user

I am still working on this, but dealing with rejection. Either be that before the project starts, or at some point in production. It's incredibly difficult to pick up the pieces and start again, either by trying to find new artists or simply deal with the hit to moral from someone leaving the project after you've done concept work, thumbs, a number of pages, etc. Or really any step in that process.

Typically when I am making a character I will look for interesting pictures. From these I'll use them as a platform to take cues that'll help me flesh out the character's appearance further. From there I start to work on the personality, at some point I'll make a conscious decision as to whether or not their appearance will inform their personality or they'll buck those norms and they just like aesthetic. Or perhaps they didn't pick the aesthetic at all and they're just working with what they have. After I have those two pieces of the puzzle, I will move onto the character's background. Here again I will make a decision, but this one is purely "energy" based. Some characters will demand a larger history because their background will be explored in depth, or at least expounded upon in dialogue at some point. But then others I might not waste a single word on their background because it literally does not come up at all, or I can trust the reader to understand everything they need to know about the character through a few sentences and their appearance, job, etc.

As far as coming up with stories, I always find something noteworthy in a book or article and decide it'd be cool/interesting to integrate that into a story somehow. From there I typically set a creative goal for myself. Usually this is an exercise of some kind to flex my editorial skills.

Anyone else scared they're going to end up some cringey lolcow with a dogshit comic?

Attached: 2c477a6f97f54545b2a2ed31c41a7b2cf9f52d568fc97586bcf2d9bd83e3e56c.png (391x391, 76K)

If your greatest fear making a famous comic is that you'll be ridiculed for having a shit personality, start by getting a better personality.

That's awfully presumptuous.

Remade this entire shit, actually decided to put in some effort into making these now
tapas.io/series/MikoMooMaa-Mininini

Attached: Brain food.png (800x1200, 190K)

I promise I'll finally catch up with Oni x Fox next week, keep up the good work!

Dobson draws better than 90% of the people here, none of you have the right to criticize him. At least he makes comics.

t. dobbo

Dobson haven't improved in years and he is terrible writer. I can probably outgrow him in 2 years.

I was going to contest you but honestly, you're right. The best art in the thread from and is the result of a writer commissioning someone skilled, and everything else in the thread is a far cry from these two examples.

PYW

I am home, mother fuckers.

Man... I don't know but for some reason I am just much faster with fountain pen than digital. 37 was worked and reworked and then inked in different ways and stitched back together over the course of weeks. 38 is just fountain pens, in a few hours.

Attached: ROCOCO02_37_38.jpg (1701x1200, 511K)

Yes because i always feel like i'm dangerously close to it.

luckily the stigma that surrounds me doesn't spread anywhere else except Yea Forums and a little bit on discord.

Dobbo can draw, he is BFA but he is extremely lazy and he doesn't want to self improve. His main problem that he is terrible person and he can't write for shit.
>PYW
I don't speak taco

Im scared ill be forever marked as an edgy author and turn off people from reading my stuff.

>luckily the stigma that surrounds me doesn't spread anywhere else except Yea Forums and a little bit on discord.
That's because no one else is unwillingly subjected to your work. Your comic doesn't spread because it's physically hard to read

Attached: luluco chew.gif (294x233, 695K)

> he is BFA but he is extremely lazy and he doesn't want to self improve. His main problem that he is terrible person and he can't write for shit.
That's true. But even despite being a shitty person he would rank pretty highly in technical art skill compared to most of the people in this thread.
And it means "post your work," friend.

Ok let me rephrase that, I actually get an ounce of respect outside of Yea Forums.

Enough respect to get a whole bad webcomic wiki article

Well, that was due to me baiting a bunch of idiots into giving me free publicity.

This is my second finished drawing, i just started learning and i don't have BFA. So yes he is obviously better than me.
>even despite being a shitty person he would rank pretty highly in technical art skill compared to most of the people in this thread
But at least i'm not Andrew Dobson.

if you get more respect everywhere else why do you still post here? not trying to meme or crab, but seriously what to have to gain by putting your work here when people do nothing but shit on you?

Because i want to earn your guy's respect!

Also it helps me grow thicker skin.

I don't know if a thicker skin is a good thing when you already ignore all criticism and advice you get

A lot of people here are malevolent creatures that want to drag others down and just cause misery. They want drama so they can talk about people, it's not about actual criticism on artwork or anything. Thick skin will not get you much when you will eventually be stalked and harassed in real life by luring the wrong people.

i have stalked a ton of lolcows over rhe years. the common denominator amongst all of them is that they are assholes and pretty much deserve the hate they get.
you can be a cringy writer or a shit artist, but so long as you are decent person, and at least try to do better, the internet isnt going to care.
take a look at shen. after the bike cuck then, everyone thought he was going to be dobson 2 electric boogaloo, but he was mature about it, laughed at himself and moves on.
nowadays general opinion is that his comics suck, but he is an alright guy.
Ulililia and pannenkoek are turbo autists who have made all kinds of autistic shit and they are straight up legends on Yea Forums.

the point is, its okay to be a cringy autist. no one cares if you are. just dont be an asshole while autistic.
so long as you are humble, mature, and kind to people, you are immune to being a lolcow. you can still be mocked, but not at the level of vitriol dobson incurred

I love Shen. I saw an old post of him complaining about how people only gave attention to his art when he went for relatable things, and you could feel the despair and dissapointment behind it. The dude is doing what pays, cant judge that.

And yes bike cuck comic was retarded but hey, you can be wrong in the internet.

By ignoring every piece of advice and criticism people have been throwing at you for years?

Dobson's art is mediocre, but his writing is shit, and his personality are even shittier, which is pretty much the fast track to getting yourself kicked out of any community. He's also socially retarded, and picks at all the social/political low hanging fruit.

His art is serviceable and, quite frankly, is the absolute least of his problems.

Well, if he ignored them, why even bother? Clearly he is just an attention whore looking for a easy stick to poke himself in fun places. There are many nice folks searching for a feedback, like, come on, man.

Attached: 64.jpg (460x171, 11K)

Probably writing. I have zero experience in writing, though I'm sure this is the case with most people here.

Most of my characters originated from a particular item. Then I created the design around that thing. Then the story. Said thing can either be a mask, or a weird weapon I designed. I used to have a lot of characters, but many of them were bland because their entire characters revolved around 1 or 2 things, so I ended up "merging" them, like combining the cool ideas into one better character. IE: goatee bald guy and white helmet dude were different characters. I liked bald guy's story but not much his design, and I liked helmet guy's design but I had no story for him, so I merged them into a single character and I guess it just works.

you know you've made it when your comic gets memes

If you only use social media for promoting your comic and nothing else (ie: posting random opinions on random shit like your average blue checkmark) then you should be good my dude.

---

Made lots of progress these two weeks. Went from drawing 3 pages per week to drawing 5, got a pretty fat backlog now. May consider uploading 3 pages per week now, but I'm still not sure yet. Also, since this chapter is gonna be long as fuck, I'll most likely divide it in three parts, mainly due to Webtoons/Tapas page limits. Shit gets real in part two

Attached: p028.png (600x800, 48K)

forgot links reee

Tapas: tapas.io/series/PREDATHEOSIS
Tumblr: predatheosis.tumblr.com/
Webtoons: webtoons.com/en/challenge/predatheosis/list?title_no=227480
Newgrounds: newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1434168/1
Russian translation by Prov22 : newgrounds.com/art/view/prov22/predatheosis-1-russian-translation

Attached: p029.png (600x800, 41K)

trying to turn the characters from my daydreams into a comic but i can't find the right balance between office comedy (which could be set within one building and is really more suited to TV) and wacky hijinks across an entire town. one inherently feels like it trends too serious and mature, the other too silly and childish.

Dobby has demonstrated in the past that he actually is a good artist. he has shown off a lot of his stuff, and has even done some more realistic stuff.
That begs the question. If someone has the skill and talent to be a good artist, why on earth would you choose to make Garfield.
Out of all the artstyles to imitate, why would you imitate garfield?
Its like he came from bizarro earth and is totally incapable of being right about anything.

>Dobby has demonstrated in the past that he actually is a good artist
Is this a new pasta?

At least Dobson has a drive to constantly create new stuff even when the world is against him. Not to mention he's a better artist than most people in this thread. I admire his passion, even if he has one of the worst personalities.

Hey, thank you so much! I really appreciate that!! No need to rush, Oni x Fox isn't going anywhere! :)

You mean years ago. It's been a long time since people tried giving Dewd legitimate critique, nowadays it's just "Dewd sucks".

it's awfully bait

it's making me laugh

I remember the BWW review didn't happen too long ago and Dewd just outright ignored any valid point it made

digital takes a while to get fast with but it's ultimately much faster

He was never great but there was a time where he was pretty competent.

Attached: 1404872338508.jpg (600x900, 166K)

>It took him 57 hours to make that page

Dobson's art skills aren't horrible or unacceptable by any means but it really doesn't matter when the person behind it is a pathetic, overweight beta male who uses his art skills to fantasize about beating up fictional sexist men who do mean things to fictional attractive women, or having fictional arguments about video games with fictional people who only exist in his head.
If you're a shitty artist but extremely passionate about what you do I'll read your work over his worthless fucking tripe any day.

>refusing to improve
>still writing cringe shit
>expecting to be respected
lmao

This picture is full of construction errors: the chest plate is lopsided, the hair needs more definition, the hatching is hazardous and doesn't properly convey tones background is boring. It's good but not: i went trough art school" good.

what if a webcomic that takes place in an alternate universe where everything is the same except onion rings and french fries have switched places

posting last weeks page and linking this weeks all new page of impish!

tapas.io/episode/1450352

Attached: impish 74.png (2400x3450, 1.44M)

>This picture is full of construction errors
I see nothing wrong with it

Eerily Lovely update!
Spook & Spell final part.

tapas.io/episode/1450178

webtoons.com/en/challenge/eerily-lovely/list?title_no=255060

eerilylovely.smackjeeves.com/comics/2818904/spook-spell-fin/

Can't really post any other panel without spoiling, but I put some extra effort on this part...the 4th chapter is finally over, can i have some feedback overall? for the following ones?

Just wanted to say that I've been checkin slowly this thread. it's pretty good. Lots of good material.
But thanks to sword guy for the tips specially. I'm so focused in writing and drawing that i often forget how to market. And I think I have enough material to start doing some serious efforts in tha regard...
I'll start by updating my cover art and making a banner.

Attached: unrest.jpg (340x492, 44K)

It looks to me like there's a lot of tiny subtle shape errors, which belie the amazing shading technique. It almost looks like it's been copied from another picture by someone with excellent copying technique

Happy end! Well, for the pruppet.

The drawing itself isn't so bad, but the black spotting and hatching is thoughtless and haphazard.

i've been thinking that i don't like much the direction my comic is taking, so i've been considering rebooting it. it feels like i've taken a more story heavy aproach which i'm not enjoying very much. I want to focus more on what i enjoy more: action stuff. story would still be there but it would take more of a backseat approach. besides, i don't think doing story heavy stuff is my forte at all.

i've been working on this comic for more than a year, but i only finished the first chapter, so not much of the story would be lost.

would it be worth it? there would be some changes in the story but it would mostly remain the same, just way more fast paced.

i'm not going to say which one is my comic cause i don't want to upset the few people who read it, at least not until i make a decision.

anyone experienced something similar? a suggestion could really be handy, desu

I tried. Color is hard.

Attached: doodles.jpg (1454x1774, 1.19M)

>i'm not going to say which one is my comic cause i don't want to upset the few people who read it, at least not until i make a decision.
Aren't they the ones whose opinion you care about?

Attached: 1549514831505.png (579x458, 254K)

To implement more backgrounds.
For characters I usually sketch them long enough until I can fully rotate them and draw them at a faster pace; for story I try to imagine the project as a trailer first. After that I fill in the blanks, try to figure out the themes and conflict. For layouts I try to storyboard them as a film/animation. That's why I usually have a lot of panels and they basically eat the comic away.

NEW UPDATE
tapas.io/series/Ibrahim-Coyle
webtoons.com/en/challenge/ibrahim-coyle/list?title_no=270091

You should post it, my dude. The thread is basically a workshop for all of us involved.

Attached: IC-15.jpg (800x1131, 1.27M)

i guess

i may tell the readers later what's happening if i feel more inclined to go this direction

i just want to know what a few anons think for now since i know it doesn't harm to ask

Similar situation here, I could have done some pruning early on to avoid it being so drawn out and also in the near future there will be a lot of non-action story stuff. With my current work pace the comic will be done in about 3 years.

I also keep getting the urge to design new characters which I want to fit in the story somehow which isn't really helpful.

a Zo

Attached: Zo a go go.png (1800x2400, 527K)

So there's two Jamals...

Cute, but also Homestucky.

Just dropped 7 new pages of poorly drawn robots!
I tried a lot of new stuff, playing with different lines and perspectives. I still can't into backgrounds.
tapas.io/episode/1439242

Attached: Unamused Drak.png (291x300, 81K)

I hadn't considered that they expected a substitute to be able to just hop in the abandoned mecha. I think Tad coming prepared with his own makes much more sense, since most of the time, only the designated hero can pilot one of those things. They usually have like, keys...
I also love how he's critiquing them. Like clearly he's seen a lot of teams in his day. Hooking the manipod on with a cable is pretty amusing.
I feel like I was expecting him to show-not-tell about his versatility, though. Like he'd get in there and have an array of controls and big buttons for each type of body part it can turn into. But this still worked out great.
Professional*

Yeah that was kinda the idea i had for him. As the story goes on, you find out that he has been doing this for upwards of a decade, which is why he is much older than your typical mecha pilot (i figure late 30's early 40's.) and that kinda gets into his 'mysterious past'.
As far as the Manipod's versatility, it can do a hell of a lot, and Tad likes to advertise that, although there are some things Tad wishes it couldnt do.

I'm going to go fix that spelling error. Why doesnt clip studio have spell check dammit ;_;

massive knockers

Cardinal Junction update!

tapas.io/episode/1450580
webtoons.com/en/challenge/cardinal-junction/converging-paths-page-08/viewer?title_no=196040&episode_no=13
cardinaljunction.smackjeeves.com/comics/2819068/page-08/

Attached: 64.png (1291x2000, 3.16M)

Oh and the idea with the cable was that the Manipod can't transform willy nilly. It has to sort of scan the target to figure out what its supposed to be.
Pretty much means that the Manipod is totally useless on its own, and that would be the subject of a future arc.

Well, here's how it turned out. Tentative finished page. This one may haunt me for the rest of the week. Damn wolves. Damn contrast mountains. Damn clouds. Damn everything.

Attached: CI_Ch1_Pg81.png (940x1216, 757K)

Hey this turned out nice! The weird spray effect on the clouds isn't my favorite, but it's not bad

I like it, the landscape is rather simple but it works, and the transition is nice.

Im bad at feedback honestly, especially with works I love like yours. The art on the crying reveal there was especially good, gotta say. It ended up being a sad chapter.

page 10?

yes, its time to let it go. all discussion is over.

And the final piece of concept art is done for the foreseeable future. We're going to move onto thumbs for issue number two now.

Attached: Lyli color a without render.jpg (3307x5184, 3.12M)

You have an issue one?

What's this guy's name?

>guy

I'm drafting a story for a stop motion project based on the stories I came up with back when I played with my toys during my childhood.
Recently, though, I became a bit concerned about how the interpretations of the characters represented by the toys are rarely accurate to the source material.
Things like Megatron not being a miner or a gladiator but being built by the Constructicons as their ideal leader, Digimon coming from another dimension and building their own civilization without human intervention, Cheetor being the current Prime, Saint Seiya's cosmos being a thing in universe since Saints are also part of it but never had an Athena to fight for, etc

What should I do to avoid wasting time on clearing up those changes?
Would that give viewers whiplash from getting interpretations that are not too faithful to the source material?

>I became a bit concerned about how the interpretations of the characters represented by the toys are rarely accurate to the source material.
you know that's why new pony was considered good while old pony was bad, right? The characterizations and concepts came out of lauren's cute ginger head when she was a wee lass playing with plastic horsen and having no idea what the established characters were. That's what toys are FOR. you're supposed to do that. Your comic will probably be way more interesting than the source material.
of course, in an ideal world, this would be a drawn comic, and you'd file off the serial numbers and make it your own original thing just based on your stories.

>of course, in an ideal world, this would be a drawn comic, and you'd file off the serial numbers and make it your own original thing just based on your stories.
I already have other completely original stories on cue.
This is a tribute/send off/love letter to that time.

Well, cool. I can't wait!
hell I mean those actually sound like legit fanfiction. digimon DO come from another dimension after all (though I imagine you mean not one we accidentally created), and it'd be pretty cool seeing them build their own civ here. a reverse of the usual..
and Cheetor DOES take over as leader after Primal goes full Emissary, remember? It's safe to assume he eventually becomes Cheetimus Prime/al or something. I don't know what the TransTech story was going to do with him
Megatron is the tough one to work in there, I mean why would constructicons build a gun dude? and who builds themselves a leader?

Completely ignore all source material.
If its toys, then just stick to your imagination. Kids rarely stick to source material.
Hell make Megatron a good guy who like surfing and wrestling polar bears. Its all good.

>and who builds themselves a leader?
Cyberdyne Systems.

I am sticking with my imagination but I wonder what would happen if people recognized the characters not being a 100% in character.

That should be a non-issue so long as you make it explicit that these are kids playthings, not the actual characters.
A good example is Super Smash Bros. They are all toys in universe, and some of their personalities differ. Mario being a hardened badass, Bowser being much more monstrous, Captain Falcon being an over the top sentai hero.
Compared to their source material, they are totally different characters, but its okay because its smash.

>They are all toys in universe
How could I make that clear without showing myself or playing with Toy Story rules?

Yup. desuarchive.org/co/thread/108377540/

Lily. I've got a few code names for her, I am still deciding which one I want to go with.

I hope people are smart enough to pick up on it. I mean, what are you going to do for backgrounds?
don't forget Ness having a bunch of offensive PK attacks that aren't his
now come on, Cyberdyne was building a servant. it just decided we were safer dead. And in a very real way, it was right!

Damn, did she have a license to import those melons?

Attached: dayum.png (127x232, 62K)

>I hope people are smart enough to pick up on it. I mean, what are you going to do for backgrounds?
I fear that actual backgrounds because I don't have that much room.

>Cyberdyne was building a servant.
And then appointed it president of the world.

Now, my version of Megatron is more of their take of the ideal Decepticon, one programmed to live by the principles of their ideology which were created and pieced together from generations of Decepticon leaders and thinkers and fighting Autobots. Like, imagine if the nietzcheans gathered together and created/built/raised THE Ubermensch.

That's not how I remember it, but I haven't seen the newer Terminator movies
>actual backgrounds
then it's going to work fine. People will pick up on the fact that they're looking at toys in a real environment, and imagination will take over. If, on the other hand, you shot them against whitescreens (neo monster island has some tutorials on doing that) you could use whatever backgrounds you want, and get some more realism. I feel like that's not the right path for this project.
>that megatron origin
okay that's fucking tits awesome, because it means he's basically Rocky Horror. I can tell I'm going to like this.

Bump

Let it die

Drawing an ensemble of villainous monsters for a future comic I may one day draw. The guy with a bat is actually just a regular person. Still thinking up two more monsters I need to complete it.

Attached: file.png (820x624, 190K)

Those 3.2k upvotes are looking very suspicious now sword guy-kun

Add a tiny one? He can be friends with the normal guy and relate more since he may not be as effective as the others

How good do I have to be to start a webcomic?

not that good seeing most of the art in these threads

I think everybody is different. I lost grasp of scales when I work in digital space because specifically you can zoom in so far. I go on wild tangents with certain details that interests me, I ended up wasting a lot of time.

"good enough" usually just means you can convey an idea clearly to your viewer. webcomic has the lowest barrier to entry in that regard. I think far more important is to execute an interesting idea.

---

Coloring test for Rococo 2 38, using color pencil. I think this is acceptable coloring I might do the rest of the comic this way.

Attached: ROCOCO 02_38 COLORED TEST.jpg (848x1200, 531K)

I'm not the best at giving advice, but I look forward to seeing more pages from this comic and other characters you have in store. How do you know when you feel confident enough? I'm slowly trying to work up the courage to work on pages and thumbnails myself.

you don't have to be good at all. most people aren't at first, in fact.

All the great artists were good at first

Oh it's a way of seeing things. I want yo start production because i need to get this story out. I'll try to do some test pages to test the waters, to see if i'm efficient enough and if my art is good enough on the long run. Sometimes you just gotta do it

a new page... !
nsfw....
tapas.io/episode/1449905

Attached: 61pre.png (777x818, 146K)

Relatable duderino

How do I become better than Dewd and Dobson

Thats good advice and a nice positive way to look at things. Thanks for answering my question.

so many great strawdud comics. gotta collect 'em all!

seriously, that is exactly how that feels. the bending over and everything.

Attached: 88FDEE9F-69C6-4112-AB11-A25BB1DE1AB7.png (640x1136, 761K)

New page of Tom N Artie is live!

tapas.io/episode/1426039

Attached: TNA 2 Letters Page 009-01 TAPAS.png (790x1200, 940K)

And a random WIP sketch page from the preview edition of my next comic BITE

Attached: PAGE 5 SKETCH.jpg (827x1169, 193K)

Shark comic, nice

wasnt this page done months ago? im not sure what your release schedule is

Yeah it was, my plans changed in the recent months. I did post the page up here apart of a 10-page preview back when I was gonna do an indiegogo. I abandoned those ideas and just went full webcomic. So things will look familiar here till next page.

My update schedule currently is 3 times a week (Tom N Artie upload monday and wednesday while Tales uploads on friday). The comic in it's entirety is now finished I'm just uploading it all now week by week.

Yeah the artist and colorist I have on it really like doing this comic. Glad to know there's some people looking forward to it when it's ready to go.

Hey guys, here's KAW's June event submissions.

Attached: kaweventjune.jpg (3139x5121, 2.57M)

i'm waist-deep in the jealous sea

Here's another Ophélie to test the inking style. I've read the entire berserk manga in a week and it feels here. But I want my Ophélie to be beautiful, cold and detached.

I forgot i drew my howdysona here lol That's the problem with having no running comic lol

Attached: opheliehairdo.png (856x1050, 241K)

Tom N artie while not my jam at all with the animals and stuff is the most professional and put together looking thing on this page, congrats on the great work you put in

Thanks user, means alot to hear that

Your art got technically better but I liked your old style a lot more, your faces are kind of unattractive now

they were unattractive before. I think this is an improvement, but there's still a lot of tweaking to do, especially with feature proportions. And of course, more stylization would be welcome.
But now he can stylize with the 3D fundamentals underlying it!

His fundamentals still leave a lot to be desired tbqh. The features are really floaty and don't really wrap around the face.

desu my "old style" sucked. It was just me trying to do a blend of cartoony with realism. Now i'm trying to do more "realistic" stuff but I know I still have a lot of work to do, because my fundamentals as said, are still lacking.
That's why I stopped posting comics for 6 months now, just to fucking work on these fundies. I still think i'm getting better by the day on many fields and maybe like, in 6 months I'll consider myself half decent at my trade.
I can do cartoony stuff, yeah, but i'd like to make a comic that looks great. A comic that makes you want to jump in the world i present you.

If it's realism you're going for you've got a long way to go, friend. More resembles an anime girl with more-detailed-than-average features slapped on. And
>I can do cartoony stuff, yeah, but i'd like to make a comic that looks great.
>Realism inherently looks better than stylization
You need to keep in mind that styliation isn't something "dirty" or lesser than realism. Stylization is popular because it's a way of making art look MORE appealing, it takes more creativity and invention than just copying the real world 1:1. If realism is really what you want to do, go for it. But keep in mind you're making a lot of trade-offs.

well i'm not going for realism for realism. I'm trying to find my own aesthetic that would blend nicely.
I've been looking through myself those last 6 months because i want to be satisfied with my art.
I know there's still a lot of work to do, but that's the problem when you have no formal art training. Like none at all.
6 months ago i was fucking depressed at how unsatisfying my art looked. I know it's not as good as i'd like to be, but god damn if I have to read loomis, i'll do it.

exactly my thinking. but the parts themselves are looking pretty great.

FASTER FASTER TO THE END OF THREAD!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAW

chocolate webcomic

Bumping the thread for its death with a very low quality pic of my work in progress.

Attached: D-bOGy8XoAAQbb2.jpg (1536x2048, 765K)

Is that... a dutch angle I see in the last panel?

New thread ready, waiting for page 10

Posting old art as a reminder to everyone that if you don't consistently draw you'll regress hard as fuck

Attached: 8.15.17.png (540x496, 123K)

I find, in contrast to what everyone says about everything, I get better at things whether I practice or not, very slowly. Music, videogames, all of it. Drawing every day didn't make my art better, taking a long time to carefully observe and study did.

That makes me curious, I wanna see what your improvement looks like

Well let's just say you wouldn't be the first to say there isn't any.
But a better, more uncanny example is that I would play games just over and over as a kid, never getting any better or any further, then pick those games up after a decade and suddenly be able to beat them no sweat. Like I'm just better at "hands"

>Well let's just say you wouldn't be the first to say there isn't any.
So basically, you're saying you didn't improve at all from not practicing.
You make a very convincing argument for your point, user.

Migrate

Yeah, if you are actively learning then you're going to see improvement to some degree. In my case, though...

Close to two years without learning anything new, and having only done enough art to count on one hand during that time does not help
Right now it feels like I'm playing catch-up when I could have been doing a lot better work at this point

I'm not trying to bitch about it too much, though. I'm working on things. Slowly. But I still feel like this is a learn from my mistake kind of deal

Why is the post count going down?

>So basically, you're saying you didn't improve at all from not practicing.
I know I phrased it pretty poorly, but you're still having trouble understanding.
I'm saying I didn't improve while i DID practice, but i DID improve when i DIDN'T practice.

yanni probably came through and baleeted a bunch of things he didn't like. Maybe things that are too saucy.

oh, I see a deleted bump. that's another one of those completely-unwritten rules. of course the 'let it die' shitposter doesn't get deleted...

new thread user?