Aquaman is a symbol that land-dwellers and Atlanteans can live together, that there can be peace between all people

>Aquaman is a symbol that land-dwellers and Atlanteans can live together, that there can be peace between all people.
>The Green Lanterns are an intergalactic peace keeping force with magic wish rings
>Wonder Woman is the daughter of a god and an Amazonian queen. Her main job is diplomat and peacekeeper, with a magic lariat that compels anyone touching it to tell the truth
>Superman is the last born son of a peaceful planet that discarded warfare centuries ago. He was sent to Earth to defend and protect people. His symbol means 'Hope.'
>"The first truth about Batman. The saving grace. I was NEVER alone."
>The Flash is a living lightning bolt who may or may not have created himself.
>Cyborg doesn't let his worst day, and the worst thing to ever happen to him make him give up. No matter how much of himself he 'loses,' he still exists.

When all these characters are about peace, diplomacy, accord and good will, why do so many force them into dark, gritty and 'realistic' situations?

Attached: c0c3d24ae27e6c3d7f87334a52d66025.jpg (1500x900, 414K)

Theres not much in DC that's gritty or realistic, apart from like watchmen and/or dark knight returns. I have no idea where "muh DC is dark and gritty" comes from.

It’s to challenge them mostly, see how much the world can throw at them, see them still stand

Your summation of Flash seems so half-hearted.

Because most comic and video game writers working today, and one particular film director who had influence over the DC films solely because no one better was willing to take the job when offered, are edgelords and hacks.

The fact that Barry Allen may or may not have created himself is pretty damn cool in and of itself, man. The closed continuity loop, the fucked up time travel, all of it in one possibility that won't have an ultimate answer. It's everything that's cool about the Flash's unique powers in one statement.

"I might be the lightning bolt that gave me powers." That's just pure comic books right there.

>The first truth about Batman. The saving grace. I was NEVER alone
I dont think dc wants that to be canon

Blame Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, great works that everyone learned the wrong lessons from.

I have no idea how much retconning that would take, because Bruce never was alone. Jim Gordon was there with him in Crime Alley when his parents were gunned down. Alfred was with him until he started to travel the world. Then he was with whoever was training him, depending on them for their knowledge and their abilities. Then when he got back to Gotham, he had Alfred, and a couple of years later, he had his first Robin.

Batman was never alone. Even outside of that scene from Year One, he has always had someone to depend on, someone to help him, someone to keep him from falling. Even in all of the movies, never alone. Batman is about the family you choose, the family you earn and he has earned every member of the Batfamily.

Attached: BatmanYearOne_06.jpg (550x831, 152K)

Depending on the continuity, there's also Leslie Thompkins, Lucious Fox, Zatanna and Wildcat as his friends before he even became Batman.

Ain't that the truth. The majority of problems with comics (and entertainment in general) can be attributed to someone skimming a popular work and attempting to copy it without any thought as to why it worked beyond surface elements.

Snyder was trying to make it the new status quo.

Even before he became Batman, there was Alfred, Leslie Thompkins, Kate Kane to an extent. Bruce has never been as alone as he says he is.

Yep. Like, I know that Batman is the 'ultimate loner' or whatever, but that's never been true. I felt like I had come across the most obvious thing that I never knew when Morrison pointed that out. For all his darkness and isolation, he's always had people to catch him.

Attached: neveralone.jpg (1157x961, 175K)

Even Tommy, before he went completely insane.

Attached: 80c58d586299b1da64563fa8bbad50491c15640ev2_hq.jpg (500x377, 76K)

cyborg being a JL founder retcons all his best stories he is the reason why the cinematic universe tanked

no arch villian ect

I like your way of defining the flash though thats pretty fascinating

The cinematic universe tanked because of Snyder's writing for the movies.Cyborg had nothing to do with that, he was barely used in the one movie he appeared in.

I may go into detail later, but here's a Serious Mode answer: the middle-aged men who came to the fore in the 90s, heavily influenced by Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, have been dominating DC ever since.... and turning it into an endless grimderp Batman factory as also helped by WB not giving a shit on anything but him, and Batman fitting in best with said grim and gritty that Watchmen was. Zack Snyder, meanwhile, brought that "DC is grim and gritty" to the mainstream via such charming "classics" (I use the term loosely) like Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

>I have no idea where "muh DC is dark and gritty" comes from

attempts to overcompensate due to their Silver Age, Superfriends-tier characters

"batman is actually the villain/an unsympathetic capitalist/does more harm than good" is the new "superman is boring because he's too good/too powerful"

"Batman does more harm than good" is the worst fucking thing. Why would anyone want this? Why would anyone write or read this? It turns the entirety of Batman into a shaggy dog story.

It’s so stupid. I’m supposed to get mad that he saves people from criminals?

I think the gist is that as a billionaire philanthropist, Bruce Wayne could reinvest into Gotham city-improve the public education system, donate money to homeless shelters, set up rehabilitation centers, etc and it would be better to deter crime than being batman even though he already does all that shit, and even if he didnt, the politicians in Gotham would be so corrupt that the money would never be used the way Bruce wanted

Grant Morrison even had a really cute story happening in the background of his Batman run where, as Batman, he recognizes that one of the people arrested in a break-in had fallen in with the wrong crowd. He gives her the info for an HR rep at Wayne Enterprises. Whenever you'd see the reception area for Wayne Enterprises, there she would be, behind a desk and with a huge smile on her face. I think he made a reference that this is something Bats does on a regular basis.

Every homeless shelter Bruce pays for is more than offset by every occasion he gives CPR to the Joker.

>symbol of hope

wut ?

Attached: 1385928930679.jpg (1200x900, 740K)

it was a deliberate attempt to separate Marvel Kids from DC adults