Donky Kong Country

What does Yea Forums think of this series? Yeah it can be corny and the CGI is shit but is it enjoyable to you? I know it's somewhat obscure in the States. Even I never saw it outside of a few VHS tapes but for some reason it always stuck with me. Not to mention, K. Rool is easily one of the most entertaining villains ever in both the cartoon and the games. Let us not forget the music too.

Attached: 5105T263NRL._SY445_.jpg (260x445, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pXEmslKVLaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tGu31IenF-4
youtube.com/watch?v=D14-EJHaJIg
youtube.com/watch?v=UtGL5yKdSCk
youtube.com/watch?v=5F0to-ATnrQ
rave.dj/AbMeHfcy7lW6zw
youtube.com/watch?v=fwrTQEbIIIk
youtu.be/3V93ZyaiDPA
youtube.com/watch?v=Zy1xuWDalcw
youtube.com/watch?v=4oZwKhUqdWw
rave.dj/bv42EJVBeUU0uQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sAZy9lp5KC4
youtube.com/watch?v=ACR1ODcds9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Tk__xTU5YRc
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZVCiDcSBlciWzzA-6sr9W4Tjd6-LIaho
youtube.com/watch?v=7alixN3IcQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=PL2A_KSdoc4
youtube.com/watch?v=vV-QxeJ9oHo
youtube.com/watch?v=OEtPo0_ccP0
dkvine.com/interactive/forums/index.php?showtopic=12331
youtube.com/watch?v=hCFZquAvf9w
youtube.com/watch?v=D6erY4uSKGA
youtube.com/watch?v=_zSX7GJc1i8
youtube.com/watch?v=ttK_pBRtKes
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fun fact: It was so big in France they used the assets to host a late night block. Sadly most of the clips and episodes have been removed, but there's still this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=pXEmslKVLaQ

youtube.com/watch?v=tGu31IenF-4

Thank you! All the YouTube videos on that cartoon miss that fact and nobody believes me when I bring that up.
They also had an afternoon block during the summer, I remember that they even created some OCs for this (which I assume were just the regular human hosts DK-fied)
Virtual hosts were all the rage in France in the late 90s.

Attached: B1lPwaLIQAAN3A5.jpg (704x576, 78K)

Writing was often pretty damn corny and stupid.
But damn did it have some good songs in there.
youtube.com/watch?v=D14-EJHaJIg
youtube.com/watch?v=UtGL5yKdSCk
youtube.com/watch?v=5F0to-ATnrQ

>late night block hosted by DK
I'd watch it.

Attached: feature length.png (234x347, 29K)

>be me
>25 year old almost boomer who grew up playing DKC 1/2 and DK64
>watched DK cartoon and had a cozy time
>played a lot of of DK in Smash Bros
>suddenly my #1 gets in as a playable character in 2018
>play the fuck out of him while doing the voice from the cartoon
>all of them pop up in the incredible Banjo-Kazooie trailer who was my #2.
Man I love being the age I am. Everything nostalgic hits me much deeper than it would have a decade ago. Time to watch some episodes.

I remember watching a lot of it as a kid whenever it was on. Writing ranged from crappy to mediocre, and had some awful side characters and quite possibly the most ill-fitting cast voice for DK ever.
But as you and others have said, K.Rool was god-tier as were several of the songs surprisingly. I hope that if they ever decide to do another DKC tv series, they bring back K.Rool's voice actor and keep DK silent, but have him break out into one of the old songs as a one time gag.

Attached: 1444802960400.gif (400x225, 2.98M)

Who cares about the TV series? The actual games already outstrip most animation.

Attached: Diddy-and-Dixie-in-the-swamp-donkey-kong-41332641-1920-1080.jpg (1920x1080, 179K)

>But damn did it have some good songs in there.
You're Damn Right

rave.dj/AbMeHfcy7lW6zw

Gotta get it back..

Holy shit thanks for sharing this anons. I was in france in the 90s and I remember seeing these segments on TV and I've never understood what they were until now

Attached: DK_BigLoa.gif (336x206, 930K)

Whatever happened to that fuck bees remix? I can't find it anywhere.

it gave us this classic
youtube.com/watch?v=fwrTQEbIIIk

so it good

It was dumb as hell and I loved it

I've been trying to find this for a long time

youtu.be/3V93ZyaiDPA

I need more DKC mashups in my life.
youtube.com/watch?v=Zy1xuWDalcw

>tfw Kranky's v/a died a few months ago

youtube.com/watch?v=4oZwKhUqdWw

rave.dj/bv42EJVBeUU0uQ

I can barely remember

Attached: 20170420_170451.jpg (1443x1215, 157K)

Son la 5 de la mañana

>this is the only American cartoon based on a Nintendo game to ever be dubbed and broadcast in Japan

They said no to Saturday Supercade
They said no to the Super Mario Bros Super Shows
They said no to Captain N
They said no to Legend of Zelda

...But they said yes to THIS.

I was obsessed with DK64. It took us over a year for me and my cousin to 100+% it.

youtube.com/watch?v=sAZy9lp5KC4

it always scares me when songs actually blend so well together

I agree that the game looks good even by today's standards but the promotion renders give off that early 90's plastic look to them. They have good animation too but again, maybe not compared to the cartoon.
The 3D models/sprites were made with NURBS on the SGI Challenge (animated in Power Animator which was the predecessor to Maya). The renders like your pic could have fur textures for instance and probably took hours to render out, while the programs for making the cartoon was made on weaker hardware despite being made later. Corners had to be cut in order to save rendering time to make the episodes. As a result, the models for the games actually looked better.

Attached: dkc3_coffeandtea.png (824x631, 353K)

let's not forget the radical pirate rock songs
youtube.com/watch?v=ACR1ODcds9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Tk__xTU5YRc

Attached: Bring that booty here.png (636x467, 590K)

>I know it's somewhat obscure in the States
It was one of the big headliners for Fox Family here - the "non-premium" Disney Channel/Cartoon Network, that and a fuckton of other terrible Euro cartoons that were bought-up in bulk as filler

"That" kid always ended-up watching shit like Space Goofs or pic related

Attached: 1501686396662.jpg (355x500, 36K)

>Fox Family

I literally only watched that channel because they were rerunning Real Ghostbusters for a short span of time and I wanted to tape the episodes (it had been off the air for a LONG time by that point in the late 90s).

I caught commercials for Donkey Kong Country, Camp Candy and The Mask reruns that aired in the same terrible block as Real Ghostbusters ("Toon-a-Casserole"; someone got paid to come up with that name). I recall thinking all of those shows looked awful (and in the Mask's case, I knew that one was bad because I remembered when it was brand new)

Three Friends and Jerry was great, just not as much as the guy's other work.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZVCiDcSBlciWzzA-6sr9W4Tjd6-LIaho

3F&J aired on Nickelodeon in my country.

youtube.com/watch?v=7alixN3IcQ4

that chinese kid

Attached: file.png (323x279, 113K)

How do you know she is Chinese and not Japanese or Korean?

I don't, I'm being about as racist as the artist who drew her.

>Pirates Scorn
Aar, no good
>Booty Boogie
SHIVER ME TIMBRES

Attached: booty boogie.gif (350x350, 132K)

I remember really liking it as a kid. It's in the category of things I dont want to go back and watch as an adult, to preserve my nostalgia.

Can someone explain to me how the fuck season 2 looked worse than season 1?

Makes sense, it was made for France.

The guy who sang the theme song for the Japanese dub and voiced Funky Kong actually went by the stage name "Banana Ice". He also did the theme song for the Japanese dub of Beast Wars.

Still amazing

>she has a crush on Robert De Niro

I actually have the second season and first I'm pretty sure I could put up on mega at least some episodes if you want

Wow, that is bizarre. I probably would've watched the hell out of it if I was a kid in France though, not gonna lie.

This

when are we getting a complete series boxset

youtube.com/watch?v=PL2A_KSdoc4

youtube.com/watch?v=vV-QxeJ9oHo

>27:29
I wish you guys could appreciate the full meaning of what's going on in this scene

Attached: 1332519216082.jpg (299x259, 41K)

WEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL

Attached: images.jpg (210x240, 9K)

Holy shit 16:13 is MGQ music

HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY

>Donkey Kong Country
>Flint the Time Detective
>Monster Rancher
It wasn't all bad.

CGI is a novelty in Japan.

I loved it, but even as a kid I could tell the CGI was very low quality. I used to be disgusted at Dixie's looks in the show especially because she looked so cute in the game and was probably my fav character

I only watched the VHS, thought it was neat, loved King K Rool and Cranky Kong

Attached: Expand wrong.png (1253x640, 1.01M)

I guess this GBC commercial was done by the same people as the show, because even with different textures there's no mistaking those models
youtube.com/watch?v=OEtPo0_ccP0

Attached: donkeykong.jpg (1920x1080, 109K)

Anybody saved that video with "Gotta get it Back", mixed with "Hip to be square"?

Why is Donkey Kong so based?
>Has great characters
>consistantly has great games
>has a few fun cartoons
>literally gave us Mario
>has awesome music
>sells very well
>is loved by the East and West
>every DK character in Smash Bros are extremely fun to play as.

WELL IT'S THE BIG SHOW

>every DK character in Smash Bros are extremely fun to play as.

That is false, Donkey fucking sucks dick in Ultimate compared to Diddy and K.Rool. Maybe they'll buff him in the Hero update or in the Banjo Update.

Attached: IMG_20190625_082820.jpg (1431x1000, 218K)

Haven't meet a single person who dislikes the DKC games, old and the new ones. At worst i have heard someone say they're meh.

>fun is the same as skill

>CGI is a novelty in Japan.

I guess that was true in the 90s. They even imported ReBoot and dubbed it twice (first for TV Tokyo, then again for Cartoon Network for some reason).

pajojo

Attached: pajojo.png (920x524, 664K)

Wow you sound fucking boring and shit

I know someone who does. They were just not a fun person to be around with.

>Haven't meet a single person who dislikes the DKC games

Shigeru. Miyamoto.

He said "Americans will like mediocre games so long as they have good graphics" and was utterly unimpressed with Donkey Kong Country. You want to tell Shigeru Miyamoto he doesn't know what good gaming is? Yeah, that's what I thought.

>He said "Americans will like mediocre games so long as they have good graphics"
He said that because Nintendo was busting his balls regarding the graphics for Yoshi's Island at the time.

No he didn't. That's an urban legend. He worked as a consultant on these games. I'm tired of seeing this fake fact everywhere.
At worst he had to fight higher ups who wanted to force him to use the same graphics on Yoshi's Island.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 22K)

[citation needed]

Generally, there are two stories.
Supposedly, a book called "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Steven Kent, included a story where Miyamoto said that comment in an interview with himself and Tim Stamper (among others). However, said book also explained the reason what was going on with Miyamoto at the time, namely that his initial Yoshi's Island pitch got rejected due to the cartoony artstyle and that Nintendo wanted something more similar to DKC. Miyamoto supposedly said later that Yoshi's Island was a touchy subject at the time. DKVine (and HardcoreGaming, by extension) has a thread that has a quotation from the book: dkvine.com/interactive/forums/index.php?showtopic=12331
The other story is much more simple: IGN interviewed Miyamoto back in 2010 and asked about him not liking Donkey Kong Country. Miyamoto pointed out that he was heavily involved with DKC's development and that him not liking it was just a rumor. Whether he forgot/blocked it from memory or somebody among those three are lying is up to you to decide.

>IGN: I was interviewing them earlier, and even though you weren't directly involved you were definitely very inspirational in making sure certain things were done in that game correctly. I'm wondering, which parts of Donkey Kong Country did you like versus not like? And what did you address with them?
>Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.
>And with this game too, I'll be involved on a check/confirmation level, looking over the game and checking the content. So it'll probably be a similar role to what I played in the development of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.
>In terms of things that I really wanted to see them focus on, particularly was the idea that in the original Donkey Kong Country the rendering and the effects that they used were very different from what you'd see in a Mario game. It had a very distinct feel. I thought it was important for them to keep that in mind. And also the fun of seeing the motion of that Donkey Kong hand slap is something that you don't get in other games as well.

Just want to add that I might pass for a huge Miyamoto shill, but I'm really not. The guy is the Stan Lee of video game: highly influential precursor, but his hubris did much wrong to the industry and his own franchises later in his career, and he also likes to take credits from others' work. Let's just not add this bullshit rumor to the mix.

>Banana Ice
>Tropical Freeze
holy fuck

Attached: Diddy.png (285x285, 169K)

Attached: LISTENHERE.png (1224x992, 84K)

i remember discovering this one in a very strange way.
i liked to pull up youtube and put on donkey kong country music as background noise when i went to bed. i left autoplay on, of course.
but i wake up in the middle of the night, instead of hearing david wise's gentle ambient soundtracks, i hear fucking candy kong yelling. i look at my phone and see this monstrosity

Why is the show so loved in France and Japan? Here it has fallen into obscurity and the people who remember it are reminded that it was a pretty bad show with corny dialogue and bad animation. What could they have possibly done to the show overseas that made it great to them?

So bad it's good, with some weirdly catchy songs.

I had a few episodes on VHS as a kid and unironically loved it, though I remember being genuinely confused about the shameless recycling of character models. I thought half of the lizard characters were just in disguise when the other pirate lizards showed up, because they looked exactly the same minus a new hat or two.

Attached: The Reward.png (500x332, 145K)

The guy singing for DK was better than he had any right to be.

youtube.com/watch?v=hCFZquAvf9w

Attached: 1496702371719.gif (500x357, 358K)

>Why is the show so loved in France
It was partially made in France and French Canada. Dub was pretty good too.

How does it actually improve the show though? What exactly made it popular there?

I remember as a kid I loved it because I loved everything DKC related, then I got older and didn't like it at all, now I accept it for the "so bad it's good" show it is, and wonder if a new season were to exist in this Post-Sonic Boom world, if it would be any better. Donkey Kong's singing voice is the highlight of the show, and I'm still a little mad that Dixie isn't portrayed as the badass she is in 2 and 3.

Attached: Krazy Kremland.jpg (1200x962, 1.11M)

Kinda hate how they call him Kuh-Rool.

I think it's more a case of "forced exposure" as in the deal between French channels and the original production team may have been smooth thanks to the no-language barrier, leading to sharing of assets and mocap technology, leading to more content, leading to more exposure. When you're an 8 years old growing up without Internet and CGI is still very uncommon, that kind of thing blows your mind.
As for improvements, at least Diddy's voice actor isn't an awful singer. DK is slightly worse, but overall it's okay.
youtube.com/watch?v=D6erY4uSKGA

>Incroyable musique venant de l'animé de Donkey Kong Country, l'épisode Robot Kong.

I'm a fucking metal-head.
youtube.com/watch?v=_zSX7GJc1i8

Fun cartoon.

He's also the guy that sang the Zoboomafoo theme song.

SOLD AWAY MY POSSESIONS AND MOVED INTO A CHEVY

youtube.com/watch?v=ttK_pBRtKes

LISTEN HERE WHILE I MAKE IT CLEAR!

Good thread minus the French shit.

Wonder what DK VA doing nowadays.

ONIONS UN SIMIO MUY LIGERO
VEAN COMO ME PAJEO

Surprisingly enjoyable despite being really weird

Attached: 1561351283339.png (500x486, 379K)

MGQ music is mostly just public domain stuff. That song is Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights.