Is the Penance Stare the jobber of superpowers?

Is the Penance Stare the jobber of superpowers?

Attached: penance.jpg (1988x3050, 1.74M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs
youtube.com/watch?v=rsePyOUvinA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>jobber
Yes.
And if marvel was taking things from wrestling they should have taken how to protect a finisher.

for starters its actual power and how it works is never actually explained
does it fry you for committing sins? does it roast you for feeling guilty? does it flambé you if you've caused other people to suffer? it varies from adaption to adaption
frank tanking it was a example of being dumb, if it works by either using your history of sins or by the suffering inflicted it should have worked on him since his murders are still technical sins, but if it only works on people who've regretted what they've done then the power shouldn't work on almost any villains that are remorseless killers or just unfeeling sociopaths although i think frank had some stupid plot armor besides that
i think the only rule thats constant that i can think of is that the receiver has to have two eyes and a soul and im not even sure of that
it sucks because its nice to have a character with a "fuckoff" ability and would at least give ghost rider a bit of a edge and an excuse to pair him against stronger/more abstract enemies
i wish ghost had more consistency because he's probably one of the visually coolest things in marvel but i've never really seen anything too set in place about him
robbie at least gets some decent shit as far as im aware

Attached: ghostrider.jpg (700x336, 42K)

The Penance Stare still doesnt work on creatures with multiple eyes?

I remember Venom tanking it not so long ago

Psychic powers are bigger jo-AUGH!

For all the shit Claremont gets he wrote the most competent psychic users

Attached: based Claremont.png (1079x1236, 1.81M)

It gets you for hurting innocent people. Frank kills pushers, mobsters, serial killers and child molestors.
Frank doesn't kill innocents. So the Stare doesn't get him. Though if that doesn't make sense to you, it's also possible he kept some fringe benefits from the brief period he spent working for Heaven.

I don't remember reading that it was harm upon innocents, just harm upon others. It not affecting Frank was just the usual Frank wank.
That said they have been absolutely terrible about keeping its rules consistent.

Any Ghost Rider recommendations?

>Frank doesn't kill innocents

i dont buy that for a second. with his general spray and pray tactics that he uses on mobs of criminals theres no way he hasnt picked off someone unintentionally

You mean to tell me a war vet like Frank didn't kill anyone innocent? What is innocence anyway? How do we mesure it? Can you get back your innocence or you're forever doomed to being a sinner in the eyes of higher beings?
Damn, that fucking comic where he tanks penance stare was so fucking dumb!!!

Penance Stare is a terrible power anyway. An ill defined ability where each individual writer will have a different interpretation of what it’s capabilities are. Sort of like Superman and red sun, and Superman and kryptonite.

it used to bring about the suffering you inflicted on the innocent
what this guy said frank's hands are clean, his gloves are snow white

I regret nothing.

>Sort of like Superman and red sun, and Superman and kryptonite.
Or Superman and Superhearing

If I'm remembering right it wasnt that venom had multiple eyes but it did 'feel' same way normal creatures did so penance stare just tickled it.

It was perfectly and consistently explained for decades.
It burns your soul, dealing all the damage you've ever done to ANYONE back at you at once.

Attached: ghost rider art.png (1190x1821, 1.55M)

Coincidentally both Cates and Aaron misunderstood this aspect of the Penance Stare for plot purposes, both are terrible writers in general (Aaron less so but let's face it, cut from the same cloth), so the only thing left for readers is to assume the power is inconsistent.

The page made it seem like it was because his victims weren't innocent, but in reality Frank has just been immune to magic for years ever since he lost his soul in Vegas.

Attached: punisher beats magic.jpg (620x702, 103K)

Still my favorite Penance Stare moment: youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs

Attached: gr.jpg (1280x720, 96K)

Deadpool once broke the Penance Stare and forced Johnny back into human form
The Penance Stare has always been stupid
Rider should just facenuke people like Scorpion in MK

...who is he talking to in that pic?

Deadpool also can't die because Death loves him, and once created a 7th infinity gem. He's not a good example to measure anything by.

That makes even less sense but ok. The page seems to be a specific kind of magic too, so maybe that explains it better

I was wrong, the Vegas thing was with Venom. I mixed it up because I keep hearing about there being something wonky going on with Punisher's soul.
Either way, every time he's been shown interacting with magic over the past several years, it's always been shown to have no effect on him, and the book always half-explains why that specific magic didn't work, but the explanation always makes no sense.

Do i even want to know why Dr Strange was only in underwear and cape.

I fucking loved this, too. But just because he fucking rolls up, gives him that stares and ducks out. Barely gives an explanation for himself, just delivers some penance and peaces out.

I guess in the comics something similar happened, but it was Doc Strange that made him feel the torment of the lives he took, but GR delivering it always makes me smile.

Does it work on Daredevil?

Frank killed Stilt-Man

If you stand on your arms, are you immune to the Stare?

Dormammu

Umar? More like YUMar

Attached: yumar.jpg (400x599, 96K)

Ghost Rider just had a bunch of awesome quotes in UMvC3

youtube.com/watch?v=rsePyOUvinA

Attached: dev.png (1119x585, 609K)

possessed

I thought it was a doppelganger.

One-shot finisher moves are a mistake and make for shitty stories. Writers are right to weaken them over time.

In some cases they forget about them entirely. When was the last time Thor godblasted someone?

That's because Ghost Rider should't be written as a cape comic but as a horror one.

Oh was it? My memory is hazy

>frank tanking it was a example of being dumb, if it works by either using your history of sins or by the suffering inflicted it should have worked on him since his murders are still technical sins, but if it only works on people who've regretted what they've done then the power shouldn't work on almost any villains that are remorseless killers or just unfeeling sociopaths although i think frank had some stupid plot armor besides that
The explanation that makes the most sense is it being literally divine judgement. Frank might be a killer, but it can be construed as righteous wrath. But comics generally don't want to touch on that kind on thing.