Alex Ross commenting on his Captain Marvel piece

Says Jack Kirby is responsible for pushing DC to license the character in the 70s and that Stan Lee stole the idea for Mar-Vell from Kirby

youtube.com/watch?v=bodRtl_3654

Attached: echoes_of_shazam_web1200.jpg (1200x779, 663K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bodRtl_3654?t=656
youtu.be/bodRtl_3654?t=888
aspiritedlife.com/2018/11/book-excerpt-what-if-will-eisner-ran-marvel-comics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What an awful fucking composition.

So as a revenge for a stolen character they stole another one? Make total sense.

>Captain Marvel and his various incarnations over the years
Sure
>Mar-Vell, Carol, Monica
>Miracleman, Kid Miracleman
Makes sense from a comics standpoint due to their history
>OMAC, Thor, Ben 10, He-Man Ultraman, and every other hero on there that's some form of "Young person changes into super-powered muscleman"
Ok that's just pushing it.
>Warlock
Why? The only thing they've got in common is a lightning bolt on their chest and most of their powerset. Might as well put the various Flashes on there since he's got the Speed of Mercury

Attached: 「LITERALLY ME」.gif (480x360, 674K)

this is what he does for fun, he even said it wasn't properly centered and he would fix that if he was making it a painting

it's echoes of shazam, meaning anything influenced by shazam even remotely, the main point being magic transformation

>Ok that's just pushing it.

In He-Man's case, not as much considering that the 200X reboot has Prince Adam more like a teenager while He-Man's an adult. But I'm surprised he didn't put that version in there.

>Stan Lee stole the idea from Kirby
News at 11.

>Stan Lee stole from Kirby
So. . .business as usual then.

>Says Jack Kirby is responsible for pushing DC to license the character in the 70s and that Stan Lee stole the idea for Mar-Vell from Kirby
In which part of the video does he say this? I don't feel like watching the whole thing.

Around the 11 minute mark.

youtu.be/bodRtl_3654?t=656
Kirby talks DC into making more Captain Marvel works, with him as writer/editor.
youtu.be/bodRtl_3654?t=888
Kirby has a discussion with Stan Lee about re-launching Captain Marvel using a Kree soldier as the focus

Stan Lee stole a lot of stuff. Maybe even Spider Man will be revelaed to be stolen someday

Why is Grandpa Max from Ben 10 there?

We already know Spider-Man was Ditko's baby.

Thought it was a fan edit first time I saw it. Incredibly amateurish.

>Shezow in the upper right
MY DICK

I like how he included both characters that have similar gimmicks and characters that just have similar visual design like Dynamo from THUNDER Agents, Kevin Matchstick from Mage and Madman.

No June Moon/Enchantress. Fail.

I enjoy Ross' autism

then superman should be there too

Superman had Otto Binder writing him later but he doesn't have the magic transformation

>just for kicks he draws about 100 characters in their original style
>fucking hack

To be fair Ben 10 is based on Dial H for hero, but you could argue Dial H might have been influenced by Shazam since he predates him too

Superman predates Shazam, notice the rest of characters in that pic were all created after Shazam.

And Ross did include Robby Reed. He's near KC Captain Marvel.

The guy who told Ross also said that DC stole the idea of getting Captain Marvel from Kirby.
Looks like those people just wants to credit as much stuff as possible to him, doesn't inspire me that much trust.

Ben 10 was influenced by the Shazam tv series

Attached: shazam8.jpg (400x300, 75K)

that wasn't stealing, he wanted the editor job but then in the end they wanted someone from the west coast

*east coast

Not that user, but Captain Marvel influenced Superman despite coming after.
Superboy, Lex Luthor, these are concepts created in response to what was present in Whiz comics (Sivana, Captain Marvel jr.)

Oh, I get it now. That's why Max is also there because he's based on Billy's mentor character

Mark Evanier's entire career is " Hey did I tell you guys I hung out a lot with Kirby?"

Any thing about Jack where he's the only source should be taken with a pinch of salt

>Mark Evanier's entire career is " Hey did I tell you guys I hung out a lot with Kirby?"

How does that fit in with Garfield and Friends and Scooby-Doo and Welcome Back Kotter?

I think it's unlikely that Kirby was the one who got DC to license the character but I totally believe Stan stole Mar-vels from him. "Stan stole x, from Kirby" is basically the entire history of his career.

People always shit on Stan but remember when Kirby tried to say he was the one who created Spider-man also the Hulk thing.

Why people say Stan stole shit when he only has ever claimed to be co-creator.

On that note, here's Ditko's talk about the Kirby Spider-Man.

Attached: Hero-Envy_Spiderman_page1.jpg (650x866, 265K)

Attached: Hero-Envy_Spiderman_page2.jpg (650x869, 199K)

Attached: Hero-Envy_Spiderman_page3.jpg (650x858, 256K)

Attached: Hero-Envy_Spiderman_page4.jpg (650x847, 127K)

That's what i thought, "i was there" doesn't seem like a good source when that "i was there" is coincidentally always a crucial creative moment.

The Hulk thing was bullshit for sure. He said he had the idea by learning about adrenaline's rush, too bad Hulk didn't started out as someone who transformed after getting angry. This is why i tend to not believe those stories.

> He was regarded by and large as an exploiter, which is the fate of all publishers. Artists need somebody to hate. In the comic field, the publishers are close at hand
- Eisner

aspiritedlife.com/2018/11/book-excerpt-what-if-will-eisner-ran-marvel-comics/

who's this magnificent bastard?

Attached: file.png (74x152, 33K)

Mighty Man, from Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon.

He's a Captain Marvel expy and I think the twist to him was that his secret identity is a nurse named Ann Stevens.

thanks

Also forgot to mention, she transforms to Mighty Man by striking her wrists together, which is a reference to how Mar-Vell switched with Rick Jones.

Larsen would've been a fun one to do some Captain Marvel work, he's a big golden age fan boy. If you get him talking about the Geoff Johns stuff or the 80's where Marvel was just Billy in an adult body he fucking hates it

It is also very unlikely that the two couldn't come up with the idea of using Captain Marvel.
On one side, Marvel needed something to copyright its name, and on the other DC's MO was always getting stuff from smaller publishers.

Yeah, I think he doesn't like most DC takes on Captain Marvel. The ones he felt came very close to how he feels Captain Marvel should be were Jeff Parker's Convergence Shazam mini and Morrison's Thunderworld. I think he kinda liked the Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam comic? I can't remember. But yeah he doesn't like the idea of Captain Marvel simply being Billy in an adult body.

I enjoy the longer format. Hope he sticks to them; very informative.

The weirdest part is Black Adam is nowhere to be found.

>Jack Kirby is responsible for pushing DC to license the character in the 70s and that Stan Lee stole the idea for Mar-Vell from Kirby

This is lies from top to bottom.

At a first glance, looks like everyone from Bill's supporting cast isn't there. I guess it doesn't fit Ross' idea of "inspiration" since they were created with him.

The character is also generational. The first version was even more explicitly a Billy Batson expy who started out as a young boy transforming into adult Mighty Man. In the "present" (which was the 90s at the time) the guy got beat badly by some new supervillains and turned back to his by then elderly mortal form, in which form he died, passing the power on to Ann (and the male hero form).

The Ann Mighty Man then appeared for several years before she was killed and the crippled superheroine Dart became Mighty Man for a bit.

THEN Savage Dragon did the big earth swap story arc where the earth from the first 100 issues was destroyed, killing everyone except Dragon who went to an alternate earth where Ann was still alive and her children eventually got the power of Mighty Man. No fucking clue what happened after that as I zoned out of the Dragon continuity at that point.

And fans blindly follow everything what Kirby or Ditko said.

Possibly inspired by Mentor from the Shazam! TV series.

Ann's daughter is still Mighty Man, and I think as of recent issues she's 9 years old and she's traumatized by the horrific carnage in the superhuman battles.

Thanks. yeah Larsen has only gotten more interested in the gore and sex aspects.

Ben is technically a Henshin hero. Grandpa is probably a analog for Billy's uncle.

It looks like garbage, regardless of the number of styles used

The absolute STATE of Yea Forums

Jews jewing Jews.

When the fuck is Marvel going to bring back Prime?

Attached: 1531065914516.gif (320x286, 796K)

Why is Ultraman there? Just because he grows big?