Disney Theatricals announced the casting for their upcoming stage production of Hercules and it's looking pretty damn...

Disney Theatricals announced the casting for their upcoming stage production of Hercules and it's looking pretty damn interesting.

theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/hercules-public-works-casting_89098.html

>Hades will be played by Herc's singing voice from the movie
>James Monroe Iglehart, who won a Tony Award for his performance as Genie on Broadway, will be Phil

Attached: Disney+Hercules+1.png (861x522, 519K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BRQMvlQA-Ac
youtube.com/watch?v=nRwizytseHk
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNz8vlNsXs
youtube.com/watch?v=uFNkmYfsGoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ai3TDYq291g
youtube.com/watch?v=Cdbyca9XjD8
youtube.com/watch?v=tWlOLJFXdPw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

so who's going to be black?

Here is Krysta Rodriguez, who will play Meg

Attached: krysta.jpg (183x275, 6K)

James Monroe Iglehart, who will play Phil. I wonder if they'll give Phil more to do because of him, since they did that with Genie for Aladdin's Broadway transfer, a move which saved the show from flopping.

youtube.com/watch?v=BRQMvlQA-Ac

Attached: 2d59bef992ed5b38c53a50d312d5831f.jpg (350x594, 51K)

WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE VEGAS

No

Attached: Hercules-Unchained.png (1642x978, 2.74M)

Roger Bart

Obviously will be using a different voice for Hades, but damn he can still hit those notes: youtube.com/watch?v=nRwizytseHk

Attached: Roger-Bart-Judge-Wilson.jpg (760x1024, 82K)

>>James Monroe Iglehart, who won a Tony Award for his performance as Genie on Broadway, will be Phil
Really nice, good actor and quite a good voice too

Goddamn, he can still go.

He also voices Lance in Tangled TV series. This guy can sing.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNz8vlNsXs

Jelani Alladin, who recently starred as Kristoff in Broadway's Frozen, will be Hercules.

youtube.com/watch?v=uFNkmYfsGoQ

Attached: 920x920.jpg (920x613, 52K)

They're prepping for a live-action remake of the film, aren't they.

It's impressive. A stark contrast to some other Disney voices who are shells of their former selves...

Forgot a clip

youtube.com/watch?v=ai3TDYq291g

He's not the first person I would have thought of to play the role but I have no doubt he'll do a fantastic job. He did great in Aladdin and on Tangled, I'm confident he'll be great here too.

With this? No. They're prepping to try out the show a few times to see what needs to be changed, and then release it for regional licensing, like they did with Hunchback of Notre Dame.

fuck off
I fucking knew it
Fuck you producers

No Disney's been turning their movies into stage musical for over two decades.

I definitely wouldn't have thought of him either! But he did so wonderfully with Genie, I can't imagine he won't do something great with Phil.

Fuck them for what? Choosing a talented Broadway caliber actor who has worked with them before?

>implying a black Hercules isn't way more plausible compared to a black Kristoff
Also who cares, it's theater.

The Muses.

They only listed 3, but I don't know if this means there will only be 3 or if the other 2 won't be considered principal roles, since the cast list released today is for principal roles only. Realistically I think 3 muses on stage is more likely than 5.

Ramona Keller
Tamika Lawrence
Rema Webb

Attached: muse.jpg (1578x640, 160K)

Jeff Hiller, who will be Panic.

No actor for Pain was announced, so again, curious as to whether or not he's in the show.

Attached: person_252.png (400x400, 218K)

Hercules

It's worth noting that this is a Public Works production, which are free, limited run productions designed to engage the community with the arts/theater. So I don't know if we can expect anything Broadway-caliber in terms of stage design. But who knows...

>With music by Alan Menken, lyrics by David Zippel, a book by Kristoffer Diaz, and direction by Lear deBessonet, Hercules will run August 31-September 8 for free at the Delacorte Theatre. The production will have choreography by Chase Brock, scenic design by Dane Laffrey, costume design by Andrea Hood, lighting design by Tyler Micoleau, sound design by Kai Harada and Jessica Paz, wigs, hair, and makeup design by Cookie Jordan, puppet design by James Ortiz, music supervision and arrangements by Michael Kosarin, orchestrations by Danny Troob and Joseph Joubert, dance arrangements by Mark Hummel, and synthesizer programming by Randy Cohen.

Cutting down the Muses makes sense but I don't see the harm in keeping Pain and Panic separate characters.

I literally cannot see Roger Bart without seeing Carmen Ghia
youtube.com/watch?v=Cdbyca9XjD8

but still AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

on the subject of Yea Forums musicals...

I wish I could have seen the Tuacahn Amphitheatre version of Prince of Egypt for the stage effects alone.

youtube.com/watch?v=tWlOLJFXdPw

Attached: 37776138_264960890763892_5237171524607148032_n.jpg (958x957, 691K)

I always think of his role in the shitty Stepford Wives remake

>No! No! Is that peach cobbler? How do you ladies stay so trim? Is there just a bunch of peach cobbler vomit hidden somewhere?

Damn is this online anywhere?

Nice I like his energy.

Nope. Tuacahn stuff is rarely--if ever, I've never seen one--bootlegged.

Aw.

Attached: 1542239188946.jpg (423x293, 15K)

Neither is though that means Hera and Zeus will also be black. Which means the whole Greek Pantheon is now black.

Probably not but again who cares?

Hades is literally already confirmed for white, you stupid SJW

Do you not know how theater casting works?

bump

I hope they retain the "Hunkcules" line

I hope that for once they will bring the 12 labours. So many films about Hercules, but almost none deal with his labours.

me too

Theater casting is color blind. Just look at that one Cinderella movie with Brandy as Cinderella.

Not really. Unlike a movie, where obvious race changes are a retcon that effect the character, casting in theatre is mostly color blind. Unless the story’s themes are specifically about race (i.e. Hairpray, Color Purple) it’s not unusual for a character played by a white actor to have a parent cast as a black actor or vice versa and never have it be addressed in the story. The pantheon will probably be played by a random assortment of races.

>theater casting is color blind
Maybe in the minor leagues, but boy do I have some news for you about Broadway

Who here /One Last Hope/?

Attached: 1548626936630.gif (288x162, 1021K)

what about Broadway?

Attached: Major-Attaway-as-Genie-Photo-by-Matthew-Murphy-1550761758-650x366.jpg (650x366, 92K)

Holy shit. Does Disney even invest in original movie IPs anymore?

HONEY, YOU MEAN BLACULES

Disney casting is color blind and open to all ethnicities for all roles and has been for years. Sometimes they even do gender blind casting... one of the original understudies for Aladdin's normally male friend Babkak was a woman.

Disney is the top employer of POC on Broadway and Equity tours right now--well, excluding shows like MIss Saigon which inherently have more non-white actors.

that guy used to voice act at Funimation a few years ago in their dubs.

what show?