Are these any good?

I don't know if this ask is more fitting for Yea Forums or /tg/ or whatever fuckin board allows e-celebs, but I like the art style and I love fantasy settings, I have a few saved bucks and I am thinking on buying this and pre-order the next one, should I give it a shot?

Attached: The-Adventure-Zone-Vol-1-Here-There-Be-Gerblins-Graphic-Novel-2051500_1024x1024.jpg (700x1000, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuNLwLRy7g-gqLLBAltHkhNcpsJ9MYOCH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes.

never heard of this before
What's the issue?

Is a graphic novel based on a DnD campaing some e-celeb family had before.
Apparently it's really good.

comic adaptation of a dnd play narrative podcast, its pretty good

>Went to check out the follow up campaigns
>Capeshit campaign
>Travis goes on about how he wanted to do a mythological superhero and he found someone knowledgeable about Inuit mythology so he doesn't make any faux pas or whatever
>He just literally makes female Thor

Don't bother with any of the in-betweens besides Dust.

I personally say no, because watching others play and actually have fun is just stupid when you can do things yourself and have fun. Also I hate E-celebs
BUT
>I like the art style and I love fantasy settings
Then why are you asking us? It is obvious what you want to do, no?

If you've already seen the podcast it's good fanservice, but if you haven't then it'll probably grate on you since it adapts a lot of the players' tangents and asides alongside the actual story.

>watching others play and actually have fun is just stupid when you can do things yourself and have fun
This is true for a lot of things but D&D isn't something you can just do, someone has to come up with the campaign and the scheduling alone is a fucking nightmare.

Tried following this a bit and it feels like im supposed to find these snarky assholes funny and somehow take them seriously when plot stuff happens.

You'll probably have a better time if you listen to the actual podcast first.

Each part of the campaign is broken up into sections so you can just listen to part 1 "Here There Be Gerblins" and if you like it you can buy the book and continue listening to the podcast if it strikes your fancy.

Plus the podcast is free so you might as well listen to it first so you don't waste your money if you don't like it...

Agreed, and as much as I enjoy the podcast, I really never liked how it spiraled into Griffin’s storytime at the end or his seeming determination as DM not to learn the rules of the game he was arbiter of in full then started including fan made magic items without reading them and saying, huh this could completely undo any challenging obstacles in trivial ways. Though his Frustration when Justin pulled off getting the Flaming Raging Poisoning Sword of Doom makes it almost worth it all. Honestly PBTA is a better fit for him and their group storytelling dynamic, also using the show to save their dad from a radio schedule that was killing him makes them good good boys. Gosh do I hate travis trying to force his Amnesty character into being the new Lup though despite how much I’ve enjoyed parts of Amnesty.

>Gosh do I hate travis trying to force his Amnesty character into being the new Lup

And that is exactly why I'm hesitant in listening to Amnesty...
I listened to the first episode and I was immediately turned off by the fact he was pushing this SO HARD.
Though I know that's not a very good reason to not continue it.

Eh, the tryhard where’s down and its great. Also Clint is WONDERFUL and I definitely recommend you continue. A Powered by the Apocalypse game just fits their strengths (and weaknesses) as Players and Game Masters far better than d20, regardless how much I enjoy 5E, and Monster of the Week specifically seems incredibly fun. Though I say this after blindly groping my way through using other PBtA engines like City of Myst for bullshit at the table and not what the author intended.

Listen, if this and the Critical Role Animation get to exist; all I want is the following:

1: the Conclusion of Fell’s Five (the 4E D&D comic)

2: Acquisitions Incorporated the Trade Paper Back. In the short term I’ll settle for the Walnut backstory comic Amy Falcone is drawing

I might pick it up again in the future just to hear Clint then.
It's not like I got anything else to do anyway.

Ned Chicane is a treasure given to us by Clint.

/tg/ streaming Yea Forums style media thread?

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuNLwLRy7g-gqLLBAltHkhNcpsJ9MYOCH

Also, since its been mentioned, anybody got Fell’s Five?

Attached: 9A0677C0-AB92-4736-8623-456A42827BCB.jpg (750x1680, 401K)

Scans for this?

OP here, I am already in a DnD campaign, I like both listening to it and also playing it myself.
Also I have interest in it but I don't know if it's good outside the art style, which is why I asked.

Now that you mention it, I recall an animation, I don't know if Japanese or American, that was entirely based on the campaign of the creator, but people wouldn't know unless they looked it up, I don't remember much of the show and I've been searching it for years...

Honestly the podcast is better. The whole point of their style of comedy is the improv and the feel of a conversation at the table with a bunch of friends throwing quick witted shit around.

Also the voices. Griffin and justins voices are a delight to the ears. Their modulations, their ennunctiations, those things dont translate to the page

to be honest i feel this way
i like their monster factory videos and think they're funny, but i literally don't care about DnD lore except for when I play it myself. Maybe if WoTC had original characters I cared about things would be different.

That's one of the things I adore about D&D, they produce their lore ONLY so people can have some premade stuff to launch their games off of if they wish to, but they encourage people to make up their own shit.

Don't like a storyline or an important character we came up with? Whatever, they don't exist in your world.

Want some bullshit monster to exist that makes no logical sense? Whatever dude, here's how to calculate it's stats so it's still fun for your players

The McElroys have always been such a source of good in the fucking world and, even though they bent the rules to the point of breaking in the Balance arc, it was all for the sake of telling funny-ass stories and entertaining themselves, allowing those who were interested to listen in and laugh too. If that's not in the spirit of real D&D, I don't know what is

Record of Lodoss War, the 13 episode OVA based on creator’s 2E af
Ad&d campaign replay. Spawned a ttrpg in japan called Sword World. The in book examples of play eventually became the Anime/Manga Rune Soldier Louie.

Lodoss had a reboot/sequel, 25 ep Lodoss TV, which wasn’t quite as good but had an absolutely banging yoko kano opening.

There was also a film about the OVA’s villain fucking off to another continent and being someone else’s problem.

A more recent example: Goblin Slayer is based on the creators home game of 2e ad&d, the titular character being an NPC whom the party gravitated around.

Would have posted sooner, but phone posting and apparently my data plan just cycled into a banned IP range.

It's good, but you'll get more out of it if you listen to the podcast, that's all.

I still need to get through all the MBMBAM episodes before I start on the Adventure Zone, it's been a couple of years and I'm up to 400 at least.

I love Duck and Ned too much to let Amnesty be ruined by Aubrey.

You're going to be at it for a while then, one of those comes out every Monday.

While still easily the worst Player Character, Aubrey has also mellowed way the fuck down on the obnoxiousness.

Ned and Duck are amazing

I'm interested to see where Clint decides to take Thacker

I get through 2 or 3 every day just driving or working out though, I think I'll get there eventually.