Why was John Stewart fine back in the day, but now every legacy character who is succeeded by a minority get pushback?

Why was John Stewart fine back in the day, but now every legacy character who is succeeded by a minority get pushback?

Attached: John_Stewart_JLU.png (333x250, 71K)

John Stewart has always been black

Neither MJ nor Starfire nor Heimdall have ever been black

Next question

Fpbp
/thread

/thread
Ban OP for being a baiting flaming faggot.

because spergs get butthurt over having diversity shoved down their throats

if a character was already a minority cool, but take spiderman and "yeah now he's black" or ms marvel and "she's pakistani now" and everyone rolls their eyes

Because he's freaking awesome.

Kyle Rayner was Mexican and he was a good Green Lantern

because nobody knew he was Mexican

So has Miles Morales, but he always gets heavily criticized as being forced diversity, despite the title of Spider Man has been used by multiple characters (Ben Riley, Miguel O'Hara).

The original GL, Hal Jordan, was white, so why isnt it a problem when Jon Stewart is a GL?

>if a character was already a minority cool, but take spiderman and "yeah now he's black" or ms marvel and "she's pakistani now" and everyone rolls their eyes
You mean like taking green lantern and "yeah now he's black?"

Because
>Bendis is a shit writer that did him no favors
>Stewart was never there to replace a character outright, and multiple Lanterns is normal
Miles thankfully has been getting better. Legacies are fine, and race doesn’t really have anything to do with it. People just hate cheap writing tactics of shitting on the predecessor for a hard push for new

Because being mexican wasn't a key character trait, and thus nobody cared. He's a good character, and that's it

You knew he was Irish and you never gave his milquetoast attitude a second thought.

I don’t know why they’re hard pushing that shit now, especially since Jess already fills that quota. Kyle feels like that kind of asshole who claims to be 1/16th Native American like it means anything

They bothered to make it good and didn't try to sell shit just because of diversity

What do you gain from lying like this ?

Don't you fucking compare Ben or Miguel to Bendis-era Miles ever again.

exactly, we only had his character to focus on

>Miles thankfully has been getting better.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

John Stewart's been fucking boring lately. MUH XANSHI this, MUH MARINES that.

If he got killed off I might not even notice.

Attached: JohnStewart.jpg (1280x720, 211K)

Miles basically just has Into the Spider-Verse.

if it was *the* green latern yes. but there is no *the* green lantern. it's the lantern corps. there's lots of green lanterns and John Stewart is one of them you retarded fucking dipshit

Because John is a good character in his own right.

>why isnt it a problem when Jon Stewart is a GL?
>"a GL"
That's a big part of it. Green Lantern's not a person, it's a job title. Stewart didn't take an identity that belonged to specifically Hal Jordan, he's just another member of the Corps.

John Stewart didn't get pushback because he was the second candidate to take over Hal's role and the third Earth Lantern. It was clearly established there were 3,600 GLs in the universe, so a replacement didn't seem far-fetched.

What suprises me is that Neal Adams claims to be some kind of anti-prejudice pariah from the 70's when his initial characterization of John was "YOU SHOULD START CALLIN' ME THE BLACK LANTERN YA JIVE TURKEY I DON'T TAKE NO SLICK FROM NO RICK ESPECIALLY NO CRACKA." Luckily actual talent came by and made him a competent character.

Would people complain if Billy Batson got replaced by some black kid who became the wizard's new champion? They'd have the argument of the position of champion being explicitly a mantle passed down through the ages to divorce it from being specifically Billy's.

>Stewart didn't take an identity that belonged to specifically Hal Jordan
That was Kyle, actually. Down the same ring and everything. Not like a casual like you would know, but still. Don't yap about shit you knon nothing about.

Green Lantern is a space police force, so they can have many members of all different races who are all Green Lanterns and it makes perfect sense. Completely different thing from Spider-man, etc.

We already had 2 and established more can exist.

>Miles Morales
Miles is almost universally loved.

Anyone else find it really weird how STAS introduced white GL, but then he disappeared into nowhere??

After ItSV? Yes.
When he was a Bendis OC? No one outside of comic book readers knew who the fuck he was, and he was universally disliked.

Yeah now.

He's only loved by kids who grew up reading him.

He shows up in the one where the GL Corps takes on Amazo. I guess he's off patrolling in space.

Marvel Jr. already took his mantle circa Infinite Crisis.

user, I compared him to Hal because they specifically said:
>The original GL, Hal Jordan, was white, so why isnt it a problem when Jon Stewart is a GL?

You'll find most people don't care about minority legacies of they are well written.

Attached: jaime-reyes-blue-beetle-dc-latino-superhero-movie.png (618x412, 591K)

No, one iteration of Miles received near universal praise. Part of that is probably because most of the people praising Spider-Verse Miles (and just most people that watched Spider-Verse in general) never read a Miles comic in their life.

>That was Kyle, actually. Down the same ring and everything.
You mean the entirely new ring that was created from the broken scraps of one of the dozens that Hal stole from his Corps members? You might as well be complaining that Kyle stole Jack T. Chance's ring and title.

>The original GL, Hal Jordan
Ahem

Attached: 4829510-0922814371-4vdgU.png (727x1122, 472K)

You might as well ask why white heterosexual male characters get pushback too. The zeitgeist today is more polarized and politically charged due to identity politics have become mainstream. According to identity politics theories you have this or that privilege, and people argue that your opinion doesn't count because you were born with the wrong gender, wrong ethnicity, or whatever. This has encouraged ad hominem attacks and fostered a hostile atmosphere between supposedly privileged and less privileged groups. Any matters that involve these groups get people a lot more angry than they would've done a couple of decades ago, and people from both extremes of the political spectrum hate a fictional character immediately because he/she looks different from what they want. A fictional work that features a group of population (doesn't matter which group) is seen as pandering to that group or broadcasting a political allegiance to their view, and it will get people arguing about whether the character should've been from some different group instead.

The outrage culture doesn't help things either. People get angry at any rumors they hear and spread them around, instead of looking for the facts and getting informed. Also, everyone's always eager to judge others and less interested in giving them a second chance. And social media makes political controversies get completely out of hands at the speed of light.

TL;DR matters of ethnicity and representation are more controversial today because times have changed.

That nigga's weakness was wood. Golden age comics sucked.

zoomer taste

Everyone has been mocking Miles for the last 7 years. He still hasnt had a single good comic appearance literally anywhere.

>being this casual but pretending like you are not

Yikes!

>They

It's pretty much just King at this point. I don't know why he's pushing it so hard, but no one else has done this since the revelation way back during Winick's run. Even in the recently canceled Titans run he didn't speak a lick of Spanish.

Shame Jaime hasn't had a good book in a while.

GL is a job and there are a lot of them
he didn't take Hal's name

Kyle being a wetback is a retcon like Sandman and Osborn being cousins.

It was a different time.

Her name is Darla and she's adorable.

just because its old doesn't mean its good

Outside of Yea Forums, most people like Miles. Then again, most people like Miles from his cameos in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, the PS4 video game and the recent Spider-Verse movie.

Let’s be honest Yea Forums usually has trash opinions as a general consensus

>just because it's old, doesn't mean it's shit
FTFY

I haven't actually read Miles' comics, but didn't he become -the- Spiderman for a while when Peter temporarily died? I remember anons being mad because they thought Peter was being replaced, like Jane replacing Thor.

This wasn't just Yea Forums, Miles wasn't liked as a character at all.

That was in Ultimate, and it had more to do with how he was introduced and how everyone reacted to him.

OP btfo

It was unironically a different time, also most of the guys bitching about diversity over marvel are DC pigs that really don't have anything better to do in their lives, take a look at this guy: he actually think Peter Parker or Carol Denvers got race-swapped, the term "legacy" is alien to him and he ignores that it is literally the same thing that happened with John, the source of his bitching is infinite butthurt over a war that matters in his head only, not racism.

Ah, I was under the impression that happened after Miles joined the canon Marvel universe. Nobody has a right to bitch about what happens in elseworlds IMO.

Ultimate wasn't an elseworld.

while FPBP, I'm pretty fine with Idris Elba as Heimdall, he's nice

Same can be said about Spidey and Captain Marvel.

Same with Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin. If it works it works.

Jon is the only competent Green Lantern on Earth. Hal had Parallax induced insanity, Kyle Rayner's famous for his girlfriend getting killed, and the writers seems to hate Guy Gardner even though he's the second most competent Green lantern. I forgot what happened to Baz and the other one.

Doesn’t he destroy planets a lot?

Shazam already did that for the movie and nobody complained. It helps that the movie was written more for kids instead of manchildren.

That's because John and Guy are the only ones who bothered with higher education.

He killed a planet, he had the highest body count on a team that included Orion and Etrigan.

Who destroyed planets?

John Stewart

He performed a mercy kill on a planet.

I don't think many are saying he's GOOD. But it would have been outstanding if they had managed to make him worse. He's made minor improvements in terms of character development beyond "Black Peter Parker" Still a bad concept (A legacy character for a character whos whole thing is about getting his powers completely by accident, it would be like if a second team went into space, got hit by cosmic rays and we got the Super 5, that was first supposed to replace the Fantastic 4 but then just kind of stuck around when that was unpopular.)

>all versions of MJ MUST BE WHITE RED HEAD NO MATTER THE UNIVERSE SHE IS IN REEEE

Because legacy characters are trash and were not ever a good idea

This, but unironically.

The real question is was Mr Popo ever black?

the problem with miles is that they killed THE BEST spiderman for him to become a thing
so we lost a AMAZING character to get a average one

Attached: Spiderman 8-1.jpg (1024x1551, 242K)

Oh I'm sorry. I forgot that there were never ever any other Spider-Man/Woman/Ham before Miles Morales

...He's talking about new minority characters not race swapping existing ones.

Attached: Spiderman 8-2.jpg (1200x1844, 599K)

green lanterns are a corp not ONE character
there have aways been more than 1 green lantern

USM went to shit after the Gwen thing

still better than anything miles had

Attached: Spiderman 8.jpg (1024x1536, 440K)

>there have aways been more than 1 green lantern
Except you know, for the first two decades of Green Lantern existing.

If I remember rightly, people didn't exactly latch onto Kyle from the beginning. A lot of people didn't like him.

I think it helps that he didn't replace anyone
we'd all be a lot more okay with affirmative action if it was hiring ADDITIONAL people, rather than hiring the same number (or rather, an increasingly dwindling number and making them all do more work for less money) and ignoring the most qualified.
Also he's a lot more qualified than Kyle so that helps

Miles' Roxxon arc and Venom arc were solid but yeah USM was pretty lame for a long time to me. I think Bendis peaked too soon

This. The big problem with the recent legacy trend is that most of it didn't have any substance whatsoever. It was the superhero equivalent of clickbait.

What makes it even worse is that it poisoned the well for actual, heartfelt attempts at diversity. It'll be another ten years before readers are willing to trust new characters again.

Attached: Strong female characters.png (1008x403, 377K)

Because back in the day, no-one cared about that shit and it's only in recent years that they've grown into furious incels.

- He didn't replace anyone, he's a member of a group with thousands of members
- He never overshadowed the others, nor made you wonder why he was even there
- He actually has some history in the comics
- While he was initially a diversity push, by the time of JL he was well fleshed out and ripe for adaptation

This last point is the most important one, because these days characters are getting heavily pushed without any memorable moments or characterization underneath their belt, which just adds to the animosity when they get any spotlight.

Adding to that is the rush of creators pushing out OCs in the hopes that they'll get that sweet royalty money when the character is inevitably adapted to another medium.

Because doing that would make it an intrinsically different story.

I think the part that's the most annoying is that nobody acknowledges that demographics are actually changing
they act like the current percentages are the same they have always been, and that it was a whitey-only club for decades because of racism.. rather than just.. that's literally all there was. except a tiny percentage of others, who were always represented here or there in accordingly small numbers
It's not like anyone's expecting commentary on the reasons for changing demographics, just... acknowledge them instead of trying to retcon history

Come on. Aliens should not as racebending

What is the ideal make up of a 'diverse' 10 man team? 2 blacks, 1 asian, 1 latin, 1 misc, and 5 whites

Yeah but everyone knows there’s really only one Spiderman and nobody else calls them that.

People didn't hate the Insomniac version of him and liked the ItSV version, but everyone hates Miles in the comics, let's be real.

>The original GL, Hal Jordan, was white
The Original GL Alan Scott is white.
Hal Jordan is a Jew.

>Why was John Stewart fine back in the day,
He wasn't.
Internet just didn't exist.

I think because John was a distinct character from Hal and wasn't just "Black Green Lantern" like the dicersity heroes now. Also, John wasn't necessarily replacing Hal wholesale, it was already known there were multiple Lanterns.