Hey Yea Forums I want to get into some animation theory. Is pic related still relevant?

Hey Yea Forums I want to get into some animation theory. Is pic related still relevant?

Attached: 15538544264.jpg (1392x1485, 272K)

Yes, in fact it's virtually essential reading. Anything else you might run into will probably be derivative or elaborating on the 12 Principles, so it's not like you have a whole lot of choice.

No. Traditional animation is essentially dead in the West.

Learn to rig and tween in Toon Boom Harmony or similar software, instead. Otherwise you're basically studying a dead medium that won't get you any work in the industry whatsoever.

This book covers the beginnings of the studio to pinnichio. Is the a good book that covers the rest of disney history?

Is there actually a point to doing this? The reason I wanted to work in cartoons is to draw. Why not just learn to code instead?

>The reason I wanted to work in cartoons is to draw.
Yeah... not going to do much for you in today's animation industry. Being able to draw digitally is what you will need to do, even in comics. If you just want to draw for fun the Kubert school has correspondance courses.

You can be a storyboard or concept artist. The former more closely tied to animation itself.

>Is there actually a point to doing this? The reason I wanted to work in cartoons is to draw.

Look, if you want to draw and work in cartoons, then what you should be studying is character design, storyboarding and layouts. Not animating. We outsource all our animation to South Korea. You can study animation, but you will NEVER actually animate, because we don't do that here.

So learn to storyboard instead. There's actually a demand for them at the moment since most of the major studios have eliminated the script writing process from television animation and all cartoons are now board-driven.

Don't listen to that other guy. There are still some smaller traditional animation studios around, like Duncan Studio

If OP is Canadian, then he can find work in the actual animation process as there are still animation studios operating in Canada that pump out a lot of content. Albeit, they only exist because they are subsidized by the government through a socialized creative arts program.

That said, even if OP is Canadian, he'd still to do what suggested and learn puppet rigging and tweening rather than traditional frame by frame animation, as Canadian studios only operate with digital puppet rigs via Toonboom (though it used to be Flash).

you're better off with the Richard Williams book

you'd might want to learn to rig and tween anyway but knowing the basic rules of traditional animation doesn't hurt

Here's my philisophical question: If the point of cartoon animation was to be a (commercial) art form where the point was to draw it, What is the point of going out of your way not to? Why even make it? It's like killing all your time and money on purpose for something a child can barely like. Why follow industry trends dumbly, like a dumbass waiting for someone else to make the change that will make you "happy?" I ask.

Hey, if I had the money I would gladly found a studio dedicated to traditional animation committed to putting out a Disney Renaissance caliber feature every 2-3 years.

>Richard Williams "The Animators Survival Kit"
>Frank and Ollie's "The Illusion of Life"
>Don Bluth's "Art of Storyboard"
>Preston Blair's "Cartoon Animation"
>Ed Hook's "Acting for Animators"
>Walt Stanchfield's "Gesture Drawing for Animation"
>Robert McKee's "Story"
>Frank and Ollie's "Too Funny For Words"
>Harold Whitwaker "Timing for Animation"
>Bendazzi "100 years of Cartoon Animation"
There are also smaller books covering individual studios like Pixar, WB or UPA, but those are more history and business oriented and these will cover animation theory and how it works.

This is why you never listen to Yea Forums

You disagree? Who is putting out traditional hand-drawn animation outside of Japan at this point?

France
Spain
Canada
America
Africa

>Yes, in fact it's virtually essential reading.
I doubt anyone in Japan has read that in many decades, assuming it was ever even translated.

it explains Japanese animation pretty well then

It's the best in the world. Disney was good at some aspects of animation but their vision of animation was far too limited.

No, read John k'a blog instead.

Japanese animation is not the best in the world user. It's quite literally very poor in quality.

Directors do.

The scrubs beneath them just read manga and cry themselves to their 3 hour sleep allowance.

This is a myth. It is indeed the best. Most people just watch Dragon Ball Z or Naruto and think that's all there is to it.

Directors generally don't animate, and I don't see why anyone would be reading this book.

I'm also a weeb, but they only excel in layout design and not the animation quality.

You aren't a "weeb" if you aren't aware of the high animation quality of anime.

>Directors generally don't animate,
>and I don't see why anyone would be reading this book.
Oh, so you don't know anything about animation and you haven't even read this book. You just want to shitpost.

I never said or implied anything to suggest that I don't know anything about animation, and your response is a non sequitur.

most american television shows are hand drawn, and even cg shows and movies have hand drawn test animation, style test, and storyboards
also this

more exist than american cable television cartoons

>hand drawn
Do you mean pencil to paper or stylus to touchscreen?

both.
Shows like OK KO and Steven Universe are done on paper. But even shows that aren't done are paper are hand drawn digitally about 80% of the time.

>Steven Universe
>on paper
Bullshit

Doesn't sound implausible. Most of Japan still uses paper too.

The art and backgrounds may be more detailed, but that’s at the cost of animation. The animation itself is not the best in the world, although there have been some exceptions.

>hand drawn digitally about 80% of the time
yeah, because japan never does anything digitally

>The animation itself is not the best in the world
But it is.

They would draw digitally instead of using cels

No, it isn't. Gobelin students alone invalidate that statement

Not this enlightened centrist shit again. No, France does not have the best animation. Japan does.

I don't think he understands that the animation itself isn't that good.

I understand perfectly well that anime has the best animation.

Actual theoretical masterpiece most of Yea Forums couldn't make it through.

Attached: eisenstein on disney.jpg (286x379, 37K)

The Bendazzi volume is a history book that doesn't get much into technical details, but it's still worth reading.

I never said they didn't? Everyone does. Literally everyone.
>nuh uh
They've literally shown pictures of the animation studio when the crew toured it