News in Animation

>Genndy Tartakovsky announces 2 films with Sony Pictures Animation "Fixed" and "Black Knight"
twitter.com/SonyAnimation/status/1138797406567522305?s=19
Describes "Black Knight" as "if you take any action movie you've ever loved and add ninjas"
"Fixed" is an R-rated comedy about a dog who finds out he's being neutered "It's not all about balls. We're trying to make it a character comedy."
>Genndy gives details on his new AS series "Primal"
Will be 10 episodes, feature no dialogue, hand-drawn (and though we already knew this, animated by Studio La Cachette, a french animation studio he discovered through Catsuka, they're damn good)

>Sony pictures also announces 3 series in development
“Hungry Ghosts,” based on the Dark Horse Graphic Novel by the late Anthony Bourdain and Joel Rose
“Superbago,” a collaboration with Stoopid Buddy Stoodios
The return of "The Boondocks", a co-production with Sony Pictures Television and a complete re-imagining of the beloved and wildly rebellious animated satire for this modern era, from original creator Aaron McGruder.

Attached: 2019.png (1280x720, 1.01M)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/RadSechrist/status/1138820399238668288?s=19
twitter.com/SonyAnimation/status/1138797406567522305?s=19
variety.com/2019/film/festivals/annecy-disney-reveals-chip-n-dale-reboot-monsters-at-work-details-1203239279/
variety.com/2019/film/festivals/warner-bros-animation-bows-looney-tunes-cartoons-short-1203240721/
twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1138114636778106880?s=09
ohmy.disney.com/news/2019/05/16/disney-plus-short-circuit/
twitter.com/catsuka/status/1137835654665179136
twitter.com/catsuka/status/1137836057452568576
twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1138253353513889792
hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-reveals-first-footage-ricky-gervais-willoughbys-annecy-1217838
variety.com/2019/film/festivals/netflix-first-animated-feature-klaus-gets-annecy-wip-session-1203240702/
engadget.com/2019/03/29/hyper-light-drifter-animated-series/
vimeo.com/64386008
vimeo.com/203265038),
youtube.com/watch?v=JqkDhqEeyiw),
youtube.com/watch?v=Zasx9hjo4WY)
animationmagazine.net/tv/little-ellen-animated-show-in-the-works-at-warner-bros/
annecy.org/programme/index:plng-100001502250
youtube.com/watch?v=KK541L5x_IY
twitter.com/i/status/1139200759688507392
animationmagazine.net/top-stories/the-long-strange-odyssey-of-foodfight/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Dreamworks announcing 2D animated series Kipo and the Age of Beast coming to Netflix
There was a larger article but it was deleted (probably because the official announcement isn't until tomorrow)
twitter.com/RadSechrist/status/1138820399238668288?s=19

Attached: kipo.png (600x314, 381K)

>twitter.com/SonyAnimation/status/1138797406567522305?s=19
>Describes "Black Knight" as "if you take any action movie you've ever loved and add ninjas"
>"Fixed" is an R-rated comedy about a dog who finds out he's being neutered "It's not all about balls. We're trying to make it a character comedy."
>>Genndy gives details on his new AS series "Primal"
>Will be 10 episodes, feature no dialogue, hand-drawn (and though we already knew this, animated by Studio La Cachette, a french animation studio he discovered through Catsuka, they're damn good)
Neat.

Not sure how that Dog thing came about, but if it's Genndy, I'll take a look at it.

Attached: Cute gobbo happy.png (526x609, 74K)

>Details about television series based on Monsters Inc. “Monsters at Work”
Disney Plus series coming out in 2020
he series is produced by Disney Television Animation, with animation production by Montpellier-based Dwarf Animation. It was developed and is executive produced by Disney’s Bobs Gannaway along with Ferrell Barron who will produce.
Both Billy Crystal and John Goodman will return to their roles as Mike and Sulley for the series, which picks up six months after the original film ended. Now that the factories of Monsters, Inc. no longer harvest screams, after Mike and Sully proved that laughter provides ten times more energy, a new generation of workers who fancy themselves as funny look to shine, led by Tylor Tuskmon, a mechanic at the factory.

>Chip ‘n’ Dale, will be rebooted for the Disney Plus streaming platform
The show is being developed by the company’s London-based team in co-production with Marc du Pontavice’s Paris’-based Xilam, the company behind kids and family hits like “Paprika” and “Mr Magoo,”
The 39 x seven-minute episodes will feature the return of Disney’s much-loved chipmunk troublemakers in a non-verbal, classic style comedy, following the ups and downs of two little creatures living life in the big city.
Combining a traditional style of animation with contemporary, comedic narratives, Chip ‘n’ Dale is directed by Jean Cayrol and produced by Marc du Pontavice.

Attached: chip n dale.png (1000x563, 1.21M)

>BLACKED Knight
>Onions Pictures Animation
The 2010s were a mistake

“Ghose Force,” from Paris-based Zagtoon, the studio behind “Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir,” follows a group of junior high friends who team to form a secret superhero team dedicated to protecting New York City. The series is aimed at kids six and up.

Attached: ghost force.png (1024x509, 1.11M)

>"Fixed" is an R-rated comedy about a dog who finds out he's being neutered "It's not all about balls. We're trying to make it a character comedy."
Sounds like shit.

variety.com/2019/film/festivals/annecy-disney-reveals-chip-n-dale-reboot-monsters-at-work-details-1203239279/

> R-rated comedy about a dog who finds out he's being neutered
Where have I seen this before?

Attached: where-are-my-testicles-summer-they-were-removed-where-have-3863907.png (500x1180, 290K)

>Genndy is making an R-rated animated movie
>that’s good
>it’s a comedy
>that’s bad

Attached: 4C131777-70BD-453D-A098-F3EE14A0E34E.jpg (2048x2048, 213K)

Genndy is working on 3 projects at once? Wild.

Two of them will get cancelled, don't worry, then he'll do Hotel Transylvania again.

This webm is going to look like shit but the short is great, better quality at the source

>WB released a full short from the new Looney Tunes shorts program
“We are approaching each short as its own film, and not as an episode in a series,” explained Peter Browngardt, executive producer of the rebooted cartoons
“Our mantra on the shorts is story, comedy and reverence for the classic Looney Tunes of the ‘30s and ‘40s and the way they used a more cartoonist driven animation.”
“I feel like that is what made the classic Looney Tunes so fantastic,” he went on. “It wasn’t screen writers; they were thinking completely visual all the time. I feel like the best cartoon animation comes from that process.”
Of the 200+ shorts that will be produced in this batch of cartoons, 20-30 are already completely finished, with close to 150 others in various stages of production from storyboards and on.
1000 minutes of new Looney Tunes content.

variety.com/2019/film/festivals/warner-bros-animation-bows-looney-tunes-cartoons-short-1203240721/

Attached: test 5.webm (720x405, 2.31M)

twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1138114636778106880?s=09
>"Love, Death and Robots" will be back! Jennifer Yuh Nelson has joined as supervising director for Volume 2 and will oversee all episodes
Technically not at all related to Annecy, but it's news and the timing is there.

Attached: love death robots.png (704x703, 102K)

ohmy.disney.com/news/2019/05/16/disney-plus-short-circuit/
>Disney announces a few new animated short films that will be coming to their streaming platform

>Jing Hua (Flower in the Mirror)
The first short comes from director Jerry Huynh, a technical director at Walt Disney Animation Studios. He’s worked on some of our favorite films like Moana and Ralph Breaks the Internet, so we can only anticipate his short Jing Hua will bring something magical to Disney+!

>Just a Thought
Just a Thought is a short inspired by those awkward pre-teen years we all went through, and the newspaper comics that director Brian Menz grew up loving. With such credits on Disney favorites like Bolt, Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Zootopia, Moana, and Ralph Breaks the Internet, we’re certain his short is one we’re going to love!

>Exchange Student
Natalie Nourigat also worked on Ralph Breaks the Internet most recently, but launched her professional career drawing comics. We’re hoping to see some of Natalie’s love of comics in the art style of her short Exchange Student.

Attached: short circuit.png (1200x675, 264K)

Nice. I hope this one has more robots, and less hobo dick.

ninjas vs knights is lame.
should have gone full fantasy and have the knight fight orks and dragons

twitter.com/catsuka/status/1137835654665179136
>Some pictures of "Sirocco and the Kingdom of the Winds" french animated feature film project by Benoit Chieux (Tante Hilda, Mia & le Migou) with Sacrebleu studio (selected for MIFA pitches at Annecy Festival)

twitter.com/catsuka/status/1137836057452568576
>Animation test by Titouan Bordeau for "Sirocco and the Kingdom of the Winds" french animated feature film project by Benoit Chieux & Sacrebleu studio

Attached: sirocco.png (1088x486, 847K)

How is that less cliche?

Where do you anons get your animation news?

Looking forward to all these Genndy projects. Only one I'm wary about is maybe Fixed, but I trust him not to go Sausage Party tier with the humor.

Attached: 1490514517254.jpg (500x375, 61K)

i follow a lot of animators on twitter and most of them either retweet shit from people, or are premiering stuff there themselves. In general though Catsuka is the absolute best place for animation news, but Variety, because it's a big TV magazine, gets a good few exclusives

Well, I wanna fuck the pink one already. That was fast.

The original in trash quality and this webm won't be better
twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1138253353513889792

Attached: test 6.webm (720x405, 1.42M)

Aron Warner is currently producing the initiative’s first release, “Wish Dragon,” directed by Chris Appelhans and set to release in China in 2020.

Attached: wish dragon.png (2048x1024, 3.14M)

never said it´s less cliche it´s just cooler

hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-reveals-first-footage-ricky-gervais-willoughbys-annecy-1217838
>Netflix unveiled the first look at The Willoughbys, executive produced and narrated by Ricky Gervais

>In a sprawling session, the streamer also unveiled images from its series in development: Malenga Mulendema's Mama K's Team 4, Hitoshi Mogi's Dino Girl Gauko and Elizabeth Ito's City of Ghosts.

>Dino Girl Gauko
The first season of the series is expected to launch on Netflix in late 2019
With its quirky old school graphics, which Mogi had envisioned for 10 years without having anyone to back the project's development.

>Mama K's Team 4
The series also addresses the idea of inequality on the continent as the heroes have to fight crime “on a budget,"

>City of Ghosts
A hybrid series, with animation layered over photos of real-life Los Angeles, that has never been done before.

>Netflix also revealed a first image from Glen Keane's upcoming Over the Moon featuring the heroine Fei-Ling, a co-production with Pearl Studio, which will be released theatrically in 2020.

>This thread
Currently the best thread on Yea Forums

A lot of details on Klaus
variety.com/2019/film/festivals/netflix-first-animated-feature-klaus-gets-annecy-wip-session-1203240702/

>Once the general idea for the story had been established, Pablos decided that his story needed to be told using traditional 2D animation. It was an idea that some producers weren’t too keen on, but the director refused to waiver.
>“When CG came along I embraced it, but I never bought into the idea that with CGI traditional 2D animation would disappear. These are the tools you use to tell your story, like how a painter chooses to use oil paints or water colors,” explained Pablos. “So I asked, ‘What’s the best medium for this story?’ Looking at ‘Klaus’ it was clear to me this story would benefit from a 2D look.”
>Just making a film that looked like something Disney might have done in the ‘90s wasn’t enough however, so right away Jakubowski started to develop a new lighting tool which allows 2D animators to manipulate light in such a way that every frame in the film has the quality, to use Pablos’ own analogy, of the airbrushed photo on the DVD cover or early concept art.

Attached: file.png (1000x563, 966K)

>Whereas traditional 2D animation has characters moving across static backgrounds, the characters of “Klaus” move through the backgrounds in a completely fresh-feeling way.
>“We wanted to use light and atmosphere as a part of the storytelling and that’s never been done in 2D, so we had to figure it out ourselves,” explained Jakubowski.
>“The goal was not to bring traditional 2d animation back, but to bring it forward,” said Pablos.

>“It’s a corrupted version of an Icelandic village on steroids,” he explained. “Klaus is about transformation in characters but also the environment. We think of it as another character with its own arc.”

Attached: file.png (1024x554, 1.16M)

A bit old news
>'Hyper Light Drifter' is becoming an animated series
engadget.com/2019/03/29/hyper-light-drifter-animated-series/
>the project is headed by the game's creator, Alx Preston, and producer Adi Shankar
>leaning a lot more towards something that's representative of the game on the style side

Attached: file.png (460x215, 81K)

>Announces
We've known about those for like a year though

>'Hyper Light Drifter' is becoming an animated series
Good, because the gameplay fucking sucked.

It's sad to read all this knowing the career John K could have had if he had any kind of self-discipline.

>the gameplay fucking sucked
Go back in your hole
Just because you couldn't beat it doesn't make it bad

Maybe there's still a chance

Yes, it's just bad for objective reasons.

Back

fyi, La Cachette did the Sucker of Souls segment in Love Death and Robots

more than that
the Kairos trailer (seen here vimeo.com/64386008 also a great read (though they had no involvement with the comic itself)),
the 2D segments of the movie Mune: Guardian of the Moon (great movie vimeo.com/203265038),
they were the animators on the really good Nick short The Ballad of Bea and Cad (here youtube.com/watch?v=JqkDhqEeyiw), a league of legends music video (youtube.com/watch?v=Zasx9hjo4WY)
t

Let me guess, you didn't even play it? Becuase really, I can't imagine how you could think it has good gameplay. Also, hard doesn't equal good.

>Let me guess, you didn't even play it?
Of course I did, I'm not some mongoloid who repeats shit I read from Yea Forums

>Becuase really, I can't imagine how you could think it has good gameplay
Leave your bubble, it's not an unpopular opinion, in fact, it's the nearly universal one, the game is rated highly literally everywhere and sold like mad (for an indie game)

Attached: file.png (492x239, 7K)

bump

>feature no dialogue
>hand-drawn
My fucking dick. Praise based Genndy.

I was hoping each season would have a different dynamic, like "hate, birth and aliens"

I agree. Very informative on what´s going on

it's just a name, not really a theme

>The Boondocks
God, please let it stay dead. Season 4 killed all my hope for it’s future.

>animationmagazine.net/tv/little-ellen-animated-show-in-the-works-at-warner-bros/

>Comedian Ellen DeGeneres is going to be animated—well more animated than she is in her live action talk show. Variety reports that Warner Bros. and Ellen Digital Versions are developing a new animated show featuring a seven-year-old version of the comic who is “hilarious and unpredictable.”

that sounds awful

But MacGruder is working on it again though!! He's why seasons 1-3 are better appreciated

I hope the movies flop. I don't want anyone to challenge Disney's dominance.

Speaking of Ellen, has any more news come out about her Green Eggs and Ham show? It's supposed to come out Fall of this year and it's been nothing but radio silence about it since its reveal. I'm so utterly fascinated it exists and to see if the budget it has shows visually. The fact THIS of all things is the most expensive animated show of all time baffles me.

Attached: geah.jpg (1600x707, 203K)

>"if you take any action movie you've ever loved and add ninjas"
So, basically every action B-movie from the early 90s.

No joke, action movies back then would often shoehorn in a ninja fight, just so that they could stick a ninja on the box art and sell more copies in Japan.

I've been looking forward to Klaus for quite some time. I'm so used to seeing animated movies go for a dull "industry standard" look that never measures up to their concept art, so I'm pumped to see something that really looks like it was made by artists.

Looking forward to those getting cancelled like his Popeye movie.

At the very least, they'll have a better chance at actually getting made now that Pascal's out and Spider-Verse happened.

He did pretty damn well. Made a landmark show and influenced a lot of talented people. Most people would be pretty satisfied after that.

>No joke, action movies back then would often shoehorn in a ninja fight, just so that they could stick a ninja on the box art and sell more copies in Japan
and that's a good thing

a show is a bit of an understatement. He and Bakshi brought creator driven animation to television. That is more than just monumental, it's foundational.

you must be fun at parties

Primal is already finished

>a seven-year-old version of the comic who is “hilarious and unpredictable.”
So, she's proactive, huh?

Sounds like a totally outrageous paradigm.

Is the Cans Without Labels DVD the Kickstarter backers got the exact same as the unfinished version we've seen already?

>the most expensive animated show of all time
>I'm so utterly fascinated it exists and to see if the budget it has shows visually.
I'm sure it won't. Reminder that Foodfight cost 65 million.

They say big-budget movies & shows make for easy money laundering.

>Reminder that Foodfight cost 65 million.
That's like half the budget of a low budget animated feature film, and they basically had to make 2 movies because they lost all the work they did like halfway through

Any news from the France-TV programme? annecy.org/programme/index:plng-100001502250

Great thread. Lots of good news, maybe the 2020’s will be on the up and up?

The characters all have shadows, that's gotta add like another 32% on top of the normal production budget for a show with similar animation.

I unironically think so. The kiddie but shit kind of animated flicks that would normally turn a decent profit have been floundering lately, Disney's letting both WDAS and Pixar go experimental (Albeit on Disney+), Spider-Verse gave Sony a much needed wake up call, and it looks like we'll be getting more adult animation in the future that isn't just comedic. Exciting stuff I'd say.

youtube.com/watch?v=KK541L5x_IY

Here is the first short of Looney Tunes Cartoons (2019)

Attached: 7DF12BD9-29FB-4865-9645-3A20DE8E491A.jpg (580x340, 34K)

Sony should let Genndy do Spider-Verse 2, he definitely likes Marvel judging by Justice Friends being more a Marvel heroes parody than a DC one.

>I can't imagine how you could think it has good gameplay.
>hard doesn't equal good.

I loved it. I like to do the Western boss first for the big ass gun. The gameplay is twitchy, but it's possible to become skilled at it.

Attached: parpcorm.gif (255x209, 691K)

BUMP, extremely important thread.

What gender is that thing in wolf hoodie? Though they'll probably get lewded anyway.

Attached: 1445012506454.jpg (1278x1449, 285K)

there’s a BIG one that wasn’t announced an Annecy. Is anyone going to D23?

bump

what a nice thread, thanks to all the anons for compiling the news

Sounds like Sony forced that one on him, they probably want an edgier Secret Life of Pets.

Primal is already done, he's working on two movies at once, which isn't unheard of.

So Life with Louie but with Ellen DeGeneres? Wow, we really are going back to the 90s.

bump

Is Annecy done? Or is it still going?

Still going for a few days, we're at least getting more Kipo news today and probably a few other things

looks pretty bad, but at least it's out of dev hell and they can move on.

At agdq

is It me or is Annecy fucking PACKED with info this year? Is there more content, or are they just talking more openly about deals that used to be private corpo-to-corpo matters?

A little bit of both. A lot more pf the news is getting out, but also a lot of new hands in the bowl making content, mostly because they want to dominate the streaming market. Also films makers expanding their slate of new content, largely because of increased capital from (despite Yea Forums's raving) a pretty successful year for animation.

Basically, netflix and disney stuffing themselves because they've lost eachother

I know they showed something about the new scooby doo movie but there´s no clips or info yet

None of them is popeye so fuck sony

announced wasn't the right word, they showed the first visuals of them (not available online)

Genndy’s been busy

that second post isn't genndy

reddit

Bump

Spider-Verse 2 is directed by the Korra and Voltron guy. Its in good hands.

Attached: Joaquim Dos Santos she ra.jpg (2520x2253, 580K)

No, but's it's god awful unrendered 3D background

>directed by the Korra and Voltron guy
but they're fucking trash. why did they get no one who had anything to do with the actually good movie?

bump

twitter.com/i/status/1139200759688507392

>all Dyke-Ra fans in one picture

OH GOD NO

bamp

Attached: DBQQi6kXkAAV4CA.jpg orig.jpg (1066x742, 40K)

>Primal will be hand-drawn

Attached: yay.png (275x436, 206K)

If we're being perfectly honest - S1 was the only genuinely great season of the show

That's... actually pretty goddamned good.

>Its in good hands.
if those hands were monkey paws.

Cue Yea Forums reacting to "Korra and Voltron" with vitriol and bitching because they have no fucking clue what a director does in an animation production pipeline. Hint: it isn't writing.

>Studio La Cachette
Any prominent examples of their work?

Directors aren't writers in anything, but a bad director is a bad director.

Looks waifuable.

Directors for movies and movie-like TV productions tend to have huge amounts of say over how the scripts are interpreted and end up on screen, despite not being writers. That's not true for directors on animated series (and previously TV in general but that's changing) but this is absolutely not something most people here grasp.

If you don't like the direction in his works, that's fine. That's an actual opinion. But most of the people reacting to that bit of news aren't thinking of the direction when they reactively go "eww Korra and Voltron" which is just stupid.

No one mentioned the writing in Korra or Voltron.

>Reminder that Foodfight cost 65 million.

Don't you remember that the studio had to redo most of the animation (with mandates from the top to shift it to mo-cap) after the hard drives of the old version were stolen?

Was that ever verified or is it a rumor or claim repeated often enough that it was taken as fact?

obviously it's real. no random rumor gets said as much
animationmagazine.net/top-stories/the-long-strange-odyssey-of-foodfight/

bumpin

Facebook has a streaming service.

>Human Discoveries is an animated series featuring a group of friends living at the dawn of human civilization. Of course, they’re the first to discover necessities like fire and the wheel. But, much more importantly, we’ll watch as they stumble onto humanity’s best, and worst, innovations. Art. Alcohol. Fashion. Racism. Small talk. And, much to their confusion, monogamy.

>The series stars Zac Efron (The Greatest Showman, Baywatch), Anna Kendrick (Pitch Perfect, Up in the Air), Lamorne Morris (New Girl, Valley of the Boom), Jillian Bell (Rough Night, 22 Jump Street), and Paul Scheer (The League, Fresh Off the Boat).

Attached: human-discoveries-images-765x430.png (765x430, 422K)

any news on Abaraca?

Netflix's The Willoughbys.

Attached: 095_280_still_final.0121_kyle_corrected-h_2019.jpg (928x523, 58K)

I haven't seen or heard anything about it from this years Annecy so far, but I think production is nearly wrapping up for it's first season. According to instagram the sound mixing for the series is just about done.

Attached: 64655403_113802056542591_3447756877040860943_n.jpg (1080x1080, 154K)

>literal go animate designs
Fuuuuuuuck this shit, just like that trash Fox is making

Attached: D6YPmzjUwAEOjjS.jpg (960x1200, 210K)

Attached: 62143204_693425937794401_4210435242838784481_n.jpg (1080x1080, 128K)

bump

>hard doesn't equal good.
but it wasnt hard? did you actually play it, it was more about looking at all the cool environment
the mechanic was simple, hit, dodge and shot. it was all about keep moving and not stop when you were in combat, it was fun

>feature no dialogue
Based Genndy does it again.

>Why did they get no one who had anything to do with the actually good movie?
The directors' prior films weren't exactly stellar. I believe spider verse's quality is due to the influence of Lord and Miller.

Attached: spider verse 1 directors.png (488x2531, 1.06M)