Except for these guys, Hanna-Barbera really sucked at creating villains

Except for these guys, Hanna-Barbera really sucked at creating villains.

Ranger Smith is just an uptight authority figure, Mr. Slate and Mr. Spacely are just hardass bosses, Brak Zorak and Moltar are more famous for Space Ghost Coast to Coast than the original. Most gallingly of all, the entire Scooby Doo franchise doesn't have a single recurring villain connected to it.

Robot Chicken's Laff-a-Lympics sketch did a swipe at this. The magician guy asks "Were there really no better Hanna-Barbera villains to round out the Really Rottens? Who am I?"

Attached: dickDastardlyAndMuttley.jpg (500x375, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Quest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Robot Chicken's Laff-a-Lympics sketch did a swipe at this. The magician guy asks "Were there really no better Hanna-Barbera villains to round out the Really Rottens? Who am I?"
I think they poked fun at the fact that The Great Fondoo was created out of thin air instead of using pre-existing villain since Fondoo is a 1970 Waluigi

(continued)Furthermore,was there some copyirght issues with Laff-A-Lympics and Wacky Races i'm not aware of ? The Dread Baron was clearly an ersatz of Dick Dastardly,why didnt they use Dick in the first place ?

Wacky Races was co-owned by Heatter-Quigley Productions, and that prevented HB from using Dick and Muttley in the show.

Same reason they had to replace Josie and the Pussycats (owned by archie) by that Captain Caveman girls, and Jeannie (owned by Columbia) by Hong Kong Phooey, though they could still use Babu

Laff-a-Lympics made the weird choice of taking one of their actual villains (Mildew Wolf) and making him a neutral commentator, depriving the Really Rottens of one more member. And I didn't get some of the doppelgangers they created for the Rottens. I understand Dread Baron and Mumbly (who was previously a separate character from Muttley and a good guy) since there were rights issues with the co-production company over them, but why take the Gruesomes from the Flintstones (who weren't villains) and rename them the Creeplys? Why not just keep calling them the Gruesomes? They made Mumbley into a villain and kept his name despite having been a good guy beforoh god dammit I don't actually care that much never mind.

I don't even get why. Even DIC had Dr. Claw and Filmation had Skeletor and Hordak.

you had me until you got to Scooby-Doo, they may not have many repeat offenders but Mystery Inc has one of the most iconic galleries of villains of any cartoon series. Are you trying to tell me that you don't remember The Creeper? or Charlie the Robot? The Witch Doctor? The Ghost of Red Beard? The Space Kook?

I feel like Mr. Slate was never much of a character. He was an obstacle kind of antagonist but really he had little impact in the show apart from him being a danger--Fred risked getting fired if Slate caught him skipping work or shit like that.

Spacely, on the other hand, is really a cheapskate asshole boss comparable to Mr. Krabs who actually does stuff that antagonizes George and his family and sets up conflicts against him. He was the most interesting character in his show (either version) to be sure, and nowhere near as enjoyable as Dick Dastardly, but that still puts him in a quasi second place area.

You rang?

Attached: F7187ACF-5265-4CFE-9646-A6F6A921BEA7.gif (295x225, 554K)

best coming through

Attached: gashgh.png (807x747, 508K)

This is what I like about this board. The fact that there are users here who just know this stuff by heart.

I think the original idea was for Dastardly to be Penelope's main nemesis, but because of the rights issue, they created Sneekly/Hooded Claw for the role instead.

Ahem!

Attached: dr-viper.jpg (640x480, 29K)

this
this is why I ask about stuff like what shows were pitch corrected and what shows weren't in the 25fps world

Did Johnny Quest have any recurring villains?

Probably has the highest body count of any HB villain.

Wasn't that because Dastardly was made the main character of Stop That Pigeon (which was originally a completely different show that had nothing to do with him?)

Dr. Zin

Attached: Dr_Zinn_in_the_Original_Series.png (665x511, 439K)

>Johnny Quest

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Quest

>Ranger Smith is just an uptight authority figure
He wasn't really a villain. If anything, Yogi was more of the villain.

>Ranger Smith is just an uptight authority figure, Mr. Slate and Mr. Spacely are just hardass bosses

cause they aren't villains. being an antagonist doesn't make you a villain and in Ranger Smith's case he does care about Yogi enough.