Dumb Questions

>so is Jim Lee related to Stan Lee?

Attached: D91760F2-2AA2-4980-BB57-42EC938E339A.jpg (805x809, 147K)

"Stan Lee..."He's the guy who writes and draws Spider-Man, right?"

Yes, user, they're both royals belonging to the House of Lee

Attached: Sir_Henry_Lee_of_Ditchley_KG.jpg (632x595, 76K)

Attached: RCO018.jpg (988x1500, 1.19M)

>Is Jewish man Stanley Lieber related to Korean man Jim Li?

Yes, and Jason Lee too

"Stan Lee..." "He's the guy that created the entire Marvel Universe, right?"

I swear when I hear that from normies it's aggravating. Especially the ones that think he's making them as we speak and that's how the new Marvel movies are made.

What about the general Lee?

>Is Red Hulk the brother of the original Hulk?
This was an actual question my brother asked me when he first heard about Rulk.

>mention Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko
Who are they? I thought Stan Lee drew everything

Considering She-Hulk is his cousin, it's not entirely unreasonable.

Funny thing is, when my brother found out about She-Hulk's existence he asked me if she was the Hulk's sister.

If you asked your average Slott or your Bendis they'd probably think she was, to be fair to your brother.

>stan lee? oh that's the guy who invented superheroes right? yeah I like him

unironically based and kirby and ditko pilled. i fucking hate those normies.

>*Jae* Lee?
>Yeah I think he's Jim Lee's brother
Only 90s kids will get this

not really a question but any variation of
>DC are gods trying to be human and Marvel are humans trying to be gods

And it's your fault.

>making them as we speak
Pretty sure even the turbonormies know that he carked it

I actually used to believe that before

This one gets me. At the end of Spider-Verse, I had to explain Ditko to one of my friends when his name popped up.
The idea that Stan Lee had nothing to do with the visuals of Spider-Man was baffling to him.

i took a lyft to a comic convention and my driver said
>comic books? they still make those?

It'd surprise you. Some people have so little knowledge of how comics get made that they think he's always been writing Spider-Man. Better yet, that him being an "executive producer" meant he had control over any of the movies.
That's a weird question. Why would they stop making them? Did they stop publishing books? Did cartoons stop showing up on TV? Did they stop making toys after I stopped playing with them?

I think the thing to take away from that remark is how actual comic books have no mainstream visibility whatsoever.

Honestly not that dumb of a question if you're not enough of a celebrityfag to know that Jim is Asian.

she was an older woman, so she probably associates comics with the silver age

They do and they don't. Pop culture has made it so that many people have an understanding of what a comic book is, even if they've never read or touched one, but at the same time, they are unable to generate mainstream interest.

Lee is his adopted son, by another mother of a different brother

It pisses me off how people think of him as some inspiration figure like Bob Ross or Mr Rogers
He's actually a pretty dirty old man with a good sense of humor, he's not a bad guy but it's not like he aimed to inspire people

comic books are an odd medium
>Avengers: Endgame made a billion dollars
>a good selling comicbook has 80-140k copies sold

its just odd that with concepts and characters that people like, the source material isnt as popular

The crucial part is that the person thought comics weren't even MADE anymore. That's incredibly damning of the current status quo. Sure, they might know X character originates from a comic book, but the books themselves fly so far under the radar they might as well not exist.

He did inspire regardless. He's certainly not an examplary person but his public persona and his true believers schtick certainly endeared people to him. His Spider-Verse cameo summed it best.
>Miles asks if he can return the Spidey costume if it doesn't fit
>"It always fits, eventually."
>camera pans to a sign reading "no returns or refunds, ever"
He was a shrewd businessman with inspiring catchphrases.

That confuses me too. The Big 2 publish certain books that are meant to appeal to movie-first audiences, so I'm not buying the "entry barrier" excuse as the only reason. Maybe the movies could have had little blurbs at the end telling audiences to read about "the further adventures" of their favorite characters in the source material.
It might not get to the adults, but kids would eat it up if they knew where to get more Iron Man stories.

Imagine if all of Hulk's allies and villains followed this naming convention.
Ugly Hulk
Brain Hulk
Psychiatrist Hulk

Fair point. I've never been asked that question before, and I tend to hang in pretty normie circles.

Almost no one I know reads comics outside of manga scans or webcomics though, so you're not wrong.

bruce lee

Fun Fact: Stan Lee was revealed to be Double Dragon's Billy and Jimmy Lee's father.

Attached: DsEo_o8UUAAMNDO.jpg (520x800, 156K)

DC/Marvel still attempt to alter aspects and designs of their comic properties in order to entice movie fans and boost sales, but it has never, ever worked.

There is simply no interest to check out the source material.

Context. This feels like a meta joke that I'm either over thinking or not smart enough to get

i think the biggest problem with people who want to read the source material is continuity. people think they need to read 60-80 years worth of comics to get the full story and thats not true. i also think marvel movies, like age of ultron, infinity war, and winter soldier confuse new people, because they go to the bookstore and buy the infinity war trade and are mightily confused as to why the movie was nothing is like the book. people go to the lcs and look at [superhero] issue #478 and get intimated. i think publishers when they do a fist volume of a trade there should be a big red sticker that says "you dont need to read anything before reading this" and then the reader will get caught up on that character.

for all the faults that the new 52 had, it did a good job of getting new readers in. thats how i got into DC comics. it also helped that the name of the first trade of new 52 JL was "origin" so it was explicit that you didnt need to know anything before reading it.

>they go to the bookstore and buy the infinity war trade and are mightily confused as to why the movie was nothing is like the book
Adaptations change things and make them unrecognizable all the time. I got into comics after watching Spider-Man cartoons and movies, but I never got too hung up on that.

Intimidating continuity is the bigger issue. Manga have the benefit of starting at "Volume 1", rather than "the first issue written by writer X."

>Manga have the benefit of starting at "Volume 1"
with the sole exception of one piece you are correct.
>oh my god theres 80 volumes of piece? ill never get caught up on it!

Stan Lee's real name is Stanley Lieber.
He has a brother, Larry Lieber, a frequent collaborator on his Marvel Comics work.

The two had a child together, Steve Lieber, who currently works for both Marvel and DC Comics, on books such as Superior Foes of Spider-Man and the upcoming Jimmy Olsen, and his own Image co-creation The Fix.

Usually when I hear people get mad about this, they're barely less casual than the people they're mad at.

Getting mad about Lee getting credit for creating the Marvel universe is the comics equivalent of a college freshman who thinks he's the smartest kid in the universe because he just figured out that politicians lie a lot, and now goes around shaking his head and lecturing people any time they cite any politician's words to back up their argument.

I think when Stan started to come back around on the whole comics/superhero thing in the late 80's and 90's, there was a legitimate desire to be an inspiration, a simultaneous realization that it was too late for anything but these comics to be his legacy, but that maybe there really was something in them that was reaching kids in a meaningful way.

You can look at it as a desperate man covering up history with smoke and mirrors to salvage his own image while holding firmly onto the accelerating train of the Marvel corporation.
You can also look at it as Stan realizing that he still can make a difference, reconsidering what his work means to people as he met more and more kids who told him they were inspired to create positive work by him.

Or you can look at it as a little of both.