The directors of Avengers: Endgame are adapting Magic: The Gathering for Netflix

After directing the hyper-successful, Infinity-Saga-ending Avengers: Endgame, directors Anthony and Joe Russo have a new project: adapting the 26-year-old collectible card game Magic: The Gathering for the small screen.

Netflix announced Monday that the Russos would team with Wizards of The Coast and Hasbro for an animated series based on the mythology of the fantasy game. The Russos will “oversee the creation of an all new storyline and expand on the stories of the Planeswalkers” (sorry, Urza’s saga hopefuls) and will see the heroes and villains of the universe “contend with stakes larger than any one world can hold.”

“We have been huge fans and players of Magic: The Gathering for as long as it has been around, so being able to help bring these stories to life through animation is a true passion project for us,” the Russos said in a joint statement.

What Marvel directors made after their MCU movies

The Russos are set to executive produce the series, with writers Henry Gilroy (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and Jose Molina (The Tick, Jordan Peele’s Weird City) serving as showrunners. Yoriaki Mochizuki (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse) is on board as supervising director and co-executive producer.

Bardel Entertainment (Rick and Morty, Teen Titans Go!, and Netflix’s The Dragon Prince) is set to run point on the show’s animation. Octopie Network (Neo Fighter Dream Crisis) will oversee production on the series, with Todd Makurath (How to Be a Serial Killer), Eric Calderon (Afro Samurai), and Dave Newberg (Brad Neely’s Harg Nallin’ Sclopio Peepio) serving as producers, and Mike Larocca (Deadly Class) and Octopie CEO Isaac Krauss serving as executive producers.

Attached: wwqufsfu3y4jdhh08zu1.png (1499x842, 1.82M)

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/story
variety.com/2019/tv/news/magic-the-gathering-animated-series-netflix-russo-brothers-1203230595/
twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1135531581710274560
mtg.gamepedia.com/Timeline
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

“Working with Joe and Anthony, Wizards of the Coast, and Netflix on such a universally cherished brand is a real highlight for our studio.” said Krauss in a statement. “Our goal is to not only tell a compelling story leveraging Magic: The Gathering’s incredible body of work, but to also push the medium and perception of storytelling through animation. This series will cross the genres of suspenseful thriller, horror, and drama with deeply developed characters the likes of which are not often seen in animation.”

The Magic: The Gathering series joins a growing roster of adult-themed animation at Netflix, with traditional anime like Devilman Crybaby, Aggretsuko, and Ultraman living alongside Castlevania and the upcoming Pacific Rim and Altered Carbon series.

For Wizards of the Coast, the announcement is a coup for a property long trapped in Hollywood development cycles — most recently, in 2014, Fox hired Game of Thrones writer Bryan Cogman to write a feature adaptation of the game — and now fostered by one of the leading media companies on the planet.

Magic: The Gathering kills off a major character, creates a new Signature Spellbook
“More fans are enjoying Magic now than at any time in its 25-year history thanks to the enduring popularity of the tabletop game and our latest release War of the Spark,” said Chris Cocks, president of Wizards of the Coast, in a press release. “We’re thrilled to collaborate with Joe and Anthony Russo to bring Magic: The Gathering’s rich and diverse cast of characters and worlds to Netflix in a way that will delight our many fans and those new to the franchise.”

Is Magic Yea Forums? I thought it was /tg/.

It's news about a Magic cartoon

>no Urza
>no weatherlight
it's shit

Wait, a cartoon? I thought it was live-action. My bad.

Did not you read the news? Speak even which studio will animate the series

animated by same studio that does dragon prince

ouch

Here's to hoping Hasbro has framerate money.

I'm here for the animated Jace/Vraska subplot.

Attached: 70qjbcs.png (919x869, 441K)

>not set during the Brother's War or the Fall of The Thran

shit.

>The directors of Avengers: Endgame are adapting Magic: The Gathering for Netflix
What a tremendous shitpost this was in hindsight.

Attached: file.png (672x936, 1.35M)

Also I hope they skip over the Eldrazi business UNLESS it takes a whole season on its own. Rushing the defeat of major cosmic horrors and treating them like a couple of level 1 minibosses was always fucking stupid.

Attached: a1391288694193.jpg (878x1200, 193K)

I'd rather see it not have anything to do with any in game storlyine

Well, so far so good. I'm cautious but optimistic.

Vraska is best grill and she deserves her boi blue

This gives me more hope than I initially had, they're good directors. Shame the source material is very bad in some spots, though there is a lot of potential.

Oh shit, this is a cartoon. Well, now I'm interested

Slightly less interested. Please have more framerate than TDP's first season

Either they're going to have to scale it way, way back to follow Jace and His Amazing Friend's origins or something, or it's going to hop into the world fresh with some new planeswalker being the audience surrogate. There's so goddamn much to unpack to get to the Eldrazi, Phyrexia, or War of the Spark with any expediency.

They introduced a couple of fresh faces in War, as well as dredging up some underutilized pre-existing ones, so if we don't follow the Gatewatch, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up following some of them instead.

Attached: file.png (2300x640, 3.73M)

Knew it was too good to be true.

An incredibly easy point to jump into Jace's backstory is after he gets Amnesia'd by Alhammarret and starts planeswalking around with no idea who he is.

Wait,this means the leaks for some months ago were true???

>yfw the plot revolves around stopping Baron Sengir

We shall see.

Did you guys bitched about Spider-verse low framerate as well?

Attached: 1557805075400.gif (320x240, 1.39M)

Spider-verse played around with framerate in an interesting way, depicting Miles clumsily fumbling around on 2s while Pete was confidently swinging smooth on 1s.

If its not the brothers war up to the end of invasion who cares?

Looking forward to the kino

Why hasn’t Didney recruited them for Star Wars yet?

Actually I thought Spider-Verse's framerate looked a bit off in the beginning but it's style and effortless animation during action sequences and intense/funny moments shined through and you don't notice it

I believe they are done with big movies from now on.

Thought they were going to pure action movies, but i welcome this.

It says an all new storyline, which I guess means no retreads of the Eldrazi, Bolas, or Phyrexia.

Which is good. Magic's multiverse is big enough that you are just better off doing your own thing rather than trying to re-do an existing storyline that was either good (so you had better be better) or as was more common was bad (so you are starting from a weak position).

The real question is whether it will be about Gatewatch adventures, or whether it will be a new cast of characters with occasional appearances from canon characters. I feel like the second option is the better one, because that way WOTC doesn't have to juggle competing canons, but they can always make cards of the 'new' characters without much difficulty as a cross promotion.

Will this lead to the dissolved of the reserved list?

Because that's the only way I'm going to buy Magic again.

So its gonna have the same frame rate as the card game. Talk about staying true to the source material.

>Gatewatch
we will never be free

yawn

why even bother with that halfassed comment?

>Not wanting new animation
Fuck off

>tfw they kiss eachother after War of the Spark

>Going from the avengers to the jacetice league/the gatevengers

Attached: god save.jpg (596x591, 61K)

reserved list is a meme that will never, ever die. The secondary market would explode if it died.

>executive produce
Wow, it's fucking nothing.
>writers Henry Gilroy (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and Jose Molina (The Tick, Jordan Peele’s Weird City)
Fucking nothing.

>[citation needed]

The secondary market isn't reliant on the Reserved List. Shit like Modern and Commander staples are where all the real sales go.

The Avengers used to be literally whos a decade (and a half?) ago.

I used to play Magic a decade ago in college (with a borrowed deck) and later using Cockatrice, but I had no idea Magic had such thing as "lore", beyond established races and settings. I guess it makes sense in retrospective.
Where can I learn about its story?

I am for once, ready for this ride. See you in the 20+ threads from the future!

That shit is a bubble that has drastically inflated over the last several years. I think it'll crash some day, but in the mean time, I'll keep buying Chinese fakes imstead

!!!
The Magic website has short stories that it releases periodically. I recommend you start reading from Innistrad.
magic.wizards.com/en/story

I mean, technically, the "arc" that just ended began in Magic Origins/Zendikar, but it's not very well written in my own opinion until Innistrad.

Tarkir, the furthest back that page goes, is good though. Fucking badass world.

Attached: 1554632044691.jpg (2046x2048, 310K)

variety.com/2019/tv/news/magic-the-gathering-animated-series-netflix-russo-brothers-1203230595/

twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1135531581710274560

Wiki diving.
mtg.gamepedia.com/Timeline

Will do, thanks!
>click on "Innistrad"
>about 10 stories pop out
>the first is from 2016
Well I guess this explains some things, this is more of a recent development, I take it? I quit Magic in like 2012 at the latest.
I do prefer timelines in fact, so this might be a good way to begin also.

The first Innistrad storyline happened in 2011-2012. The 2016 one is the return.

How many more nails will they drive into magic's coffin?

The writing quality ping-pongs wildly between authors, so if you're planning on reading it your expectations should be tempered. I like shlocky pulpy fantasy though because I'm cheap like that.

Who is going to be the main protagonists?
Liliana as a antihero?
Bolas as a Thanos-like treat?

>How many more nails will they drive into magic's coffin?
Ask Adam Osidis.
It's fine, I already read the StarCraft comics.

Attached: Seven to Eternity 013-011.jpg (1192x1833, 606K)

see We got a bunch of brand new blank slates just recently.

Attached: file.png (672x936, 1.33M)

Well, digital playing is the actual one. Is simply better. If anything, this is Hasbro's best move.

Boy I can't wait for the Jace show starring Jace with guest appearance of Jace! Also blatantly featuring a trans character and every knight and name character other than Jace is female.

Isn't Chandra going to be the MC?

>MTG cartoon
>Netflix
So more "#WOKE" SJW pandering garbage ruining another franchise? No fucking thanks.

WotC has being such company for years, I can tell you don't know shit about what you're talking about.

BFZ would be cool without the OGW parts. WAR would be a shitshow without massive rewrites.

I just want a Fall of The Thran Empire series. Is that too much to ask?

>Bardel Entertainment (Rick and Morty, Teen Titans Go!, and Netflix’s The Dragon Prince) is set to run point on the show’s animation.
It's going to be shit and it didnt even have to be. Why the fuck would you give such a garbage animation studio work on a show like this, their CG work is better (still trash) so hopefully it isn't 2D but god fucking damn it just shill out the extra bucks for a studio with skill, why bother shilling out so much for a big name director just to ruin it like that

>i dont care if it's good as long as it's new
go back where you came from

Now I just need a modern Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

I would also like a Warhammer (the future space one) cartoon but I feel only edgy teens who hate their dads would like it. Unless it followed the Tau.

With that production posse I have a hard time seeing it being bad...oh no, I jinxed it.

>Bardel Entertainment (Rick and Morty, Teen Titans Go!, and Netflix’s The Dragon Prince) is set to run point on the show’s animation.
>Not by Hasbro's own animation studio they propped up, Boulder Media

Attached: e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png (419x238, 84K)

Wait for a lot of gay stuff
Skeleton actress and shirtless men

>Wait for a lot of gay stuff

That's already around, just look at Chandra.

I can see why, Hasbro's studio is mostly flash. Sure Bardel switch to 3d animation had a rough start, but they have gotten a lot better in just one season.

>altered carbon anime series

Why?

She's bi, confrimed to had feeling for Gideon but also, maybe, something for Nissa.

I thought her and Nissa lezzed out on Kaladesh.

Only good jacetice league walker is Lily and she has best backstory for a 13 episode season, followed closely by Gideon.
After that they are stuck with either Elspeth, Urza or OC because everyone else sucks shit

Attached: Ravenman.jpg (750x450, 80K)

This They got overbusy since 2013 so it was expected they would take a rest from high budget movies

>make the 2nd biggest movie ever
>go on to make a cartoon based on a card game

Holy shit they are geeks

At least you know it wasn't just a paycheck.

They got together again in War of the Spark.

>everyone else sucks shit
Koth is easily one of the best post-mending walkers.
Sorin's not bad either, although SOI tanked his character a bit.

Attached: file.png (672x936, 1.49M)

All I need to know is that Netflix made the Voltron reboot, The Dragon Prince, and the Carmen Sandiego reboot. Enough to know they should NEVER be trusted as far as animation goes.

And that obviously make them SJW and #WOKE by design, because they produced a bunch of other animation stuff and not because other companies simply chose to work with the company.

This is my biggest fear about the cartoon, I don't think I like how a decent portion of lore discussion mow involves shipping.

GIVE ME VENSER

Attached: som-135-venser-the-sojourner.jpg (672x936, 244K)

HE'S DEAD

DELETE THIS!
JACE IF FOR LILY TOO BULLY

Attached: cardart_137427.jpg (750x449, 125K)

Oh joy, I can’t fucking wait to watch the utterly retarded Jacetice League fight Nicol BolasLuthor AGAIN. Remember kids, there’s no such thing as wanking too much to Jace!

You'll suck Tefari's cock for another 2 years in standard and you'll like it.

>Not Jace/Vraska and Liliana/Gideon
Begone.

LILIANA
IS
A
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE
literally sold her body to demons

Lily is only for tragic romance with Gideon, Jace a shit

She went from inmortal sex witch to old lady, I get her.

Attached: Liliana_Vess_getting_older.jpg (720x247, 16K)

>Well I guess this explains some things, this is more of a recent development, I take it? I quit Magic in like 2012 at the latest.
Nearly everything after New Phyrexia has to do with the Jacetice league, which taints it heavily. The Nu-walkers are pretty shit. If you want to read the multi dimensional adventures of The man with the biggest dick in the universe read all about Urza.

t. QuarterPounder

HE WAS A HERO

I'm sure we'll get Venser back eventually, but I don't know that you'll be all too thrilled to see him.

Attached: file.png (672x936, 1.5M)

I don't think they straight up revive dead people. They're have brought back Myr-whatever his name was. Plus Venser died of supercancer+giving up his heart.spark.

That said, UB Venser as a villain for one of the sets would be dank.

Fuck it, I just want an episode featuring the slivers abilities animated to satisfy the Timmy inside of me

Attached: 158-1.jpg (672x936, 234K)

I’m okay with this. I also think the Russos are talented enough to even make Nuwalkers not completely terrible.

>I don't think they straight up revive dead people.
I feel like they might.

Attached: file.png (672x936, 1.55M)

>First Avatar
>Now This
All hell is going to break loose. Prepare for the salt lads, it's going to be delicious.

true

Why can't they just crash their bus and crush their legs and hands and become blind?

Based Russoes

>Netflix announced Monday that the Russos would team with Wizards of The Coast and Hasbro for an animated series based on the mythology of the fantasy game. The Russos will “oversee the creation of an all new storyline and expand on the stories of the Planeswalkers”
It's not an adaptation of an existing story.

>gonna have to go to FNM and face some never-played-before kid with Chris Hensworth's dumbass face on a card while he tries to use it like they did in the show instead of how the rules have been for years
fml