Journey to the West

How come JttW isn't a more common topic in western animation?

Attached: journey to mewni.jpg (800x916, 305K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDb22nlVXGgdg_NR_-GtTrMnbMVmtSSXa
youtube.com/watch?v=73XAgADpBqY&list=PLTYeDakuqA3_Lyt0jogwdJMpgR9Dbaf0k&index=2&
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because there's nothing good to the West from America, only Australia.

Why isn't Don Quixote? Or the Canterbury Tales?

What's with weeb's obsession with JttW in the past 10 years?

Attached: journey to the bodega.png (618x920, 1.08M)

Reminds me of all the shitty wukong ripoffs I see in the "work on your art" threads

Dragonball

There's a difference.

Don Quixote is a seriously written novel (the first modern novel in fact) that pokes fun and laughs in the face of the very same tropes Journey to the West is based on.

Journey to the west is pretty damn insane.

I know nothing about Canterbury tales.

I highly doubt that two early-literature novels from the opposite side of the world were sharing the same "tropes." These were both pretty much the first of their kind in their respective cultures; the idea of "tropes" can't even exist.

Because this is America.

A shame really. I would want to do a JTTW series along the lines of Avatar.

Attached: JTTW_art.png (1544x1544, 2.37M)

How faithful to the oiginal would you keep it?
There's a bunch of Buddhist subtext that ight not click with western audiences.

I mean I would probably streamline it and make it more of a fun action adventure comedy series. The book's kinda built for a monster of the week thing.

Attached: JTTW_art 2.png (740x740, 256K)

Because you can't journey to the west if you're already the west.

That would be cultural appropriation.
Don't be racist and assume a westerner can understand something so important to chinese and I assume other asian cultures as well.
They can do it better than any westerner could ever dream of doing it, so there's no point.

>The book's kinda built for a monster of the week thing.
True enough.
Would you change the setting?

Nah I'd keep it in the classic china going to India setting but I'd probably add and remove stuff as to not just make it straight out adaptation. I'd respect the original but it would still the same basic story and setting.

Canterbury Tales isn't like the other two and is written in the godawful language known as Middle English where everything looks like badly misspelled modern English, with a lot of fart jokes and jokes about fat cunty women.

Because it's not as prevalent or well-known in the West as it is in the East?
Most animation incorporating Eastern elements will typically involve things like martial arts, food, and very watered down philosophy.
One of the reasons Avatar stuck out was how thorough the Asian fantasy setting.

Is this the best Journey to the West?
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDb22nlVXGgdg_NR_-GtTrMnbMVmtSSXa

It's decent.
Those guys tend to put a bit too much of their own spin on things, based on their episodes on stuff I've read, but their illustrations are fun and I suppose their summaries make for a good overview.

I'm pretty fond of this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=73XAgADpBqY&list=PLTYeDakuqA3_Lyt0jogwdJMpgR9Dbaf0k&index=2&

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 197K)

The issue is how better Wukong is compared to the other two. It makes sense with Pigsy, but Sandy is also a jobber

>Fart Jokes
>Fat Cunty Women
Sounds like a modern cartoon to me.

momotaro is better

Yeah I mean the one could give the route of giving characters more/other traits. But Wukong is clearly the cooler main character even if some would argue that Xuanzang is the "real" mc.

Because romantic comedies aren't that popular in the west

>past 10 years
I got news for ya son.

Attached: SF Saiyuki Starzinger.jpg (1200x1005, 171K)