Will feature-length traditional animation ever make a comeback in the west?

Will feature-length traditional animation ever make a comeback in the west?

Attached: 1551012540012.webm (840x840, 2.93M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uQBy6jqbmlU
youtube.com/watch?v=HSS_IzRzdnU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you live in Europe they never really left

maybe in small studios.

not sure why you'd care, most mainstream animated films are shit anyway

Not until Disney, Illumination, Dreamworks and other companies get some degree of originality.

Not unless someone wants to pay to start up a traditional animation pipeline and train a new generation of inbetweeners, inkers, and animators.

Attached: moana2d.webm (854x450, 2.59M)

Nope it's dead

Attached: 1530887437892.png (1080x674, 655K)

>in america

Die globalist scum. I'm not going to stoop to your level and spend all day picking up others tablescraps.

You know, people always post pencil tests to show how superior 2D animation is, but never talk about how 2D animation loses about 75% of its appeal when you clean and color it.

Attached: Jumba Clean-Up.jpg (1024x609, 103K)

That's just bad cleanup work. You can preserve the appeal if you have a good assistant and inker

How is that bad clean-up?

Attached: Lilo_Stitch_2_Screenshot_0107.jpg (1920x1080, 183K)

Is there no more people on earth who can animate lips to mouth words out anymore? Is james baxter the last one left?

I post pencil tests of 3D movies so they can be compared and judged against the final result, there's no need to post scenes from 2D movies because we all know how good they look and there's no 3D equivalent to compare them to

I never liked seeing animation with super thin outlines but super sketchy stuff isnt my jam either

i'm sure Disney will cash in on the nostalgia for it sooner or later since they're the only mainstream animation company left that regularly did traditionally animated movies. Sony could pull another Spiderverse, but I don't see Dreamworks going back or any of the others doing it.

There’s also DC and Laika but neither have the writing capabilities to successfully pull one off.

Cleaned up animation can still look great

Attached: doppler1.gif (400x231, 2M)

moana looks older there

the lead animator for this guy has a movie coming out soon about santa claus. looks good.

These are different scenes...

Attached: doppler2.gif (400x218, 2M)

I know it's a bit optimistic but, I think so. Maybe not within the next 10 years, but eventually people will get tired of 3D animation, or someone somewhere will find a way to get one funded.

I wish. Now everything's 3d because it's cheaper

I don't think the deciding factor is the cheapness of 3D, but rather the nom-profitability of 2D. 3D is probably more expensive but actually makes money, mainstream audiences probably view 2D as outdated and inherently inferior.

DC's animated films look horrible though.
>I wish. Now everything's 3d because it's cheaper
That's not even the case now. Everything's 3d because that's just the trend of the moment.

Attached: SOULLESS.jpg (600x600, 63K)

>All these seething nostalgiatards who can't accept change
3D is superior to 2D in every way shape or form.

Attached: 15186474917450.jpg (736x736, 60K)

>3d is cheaper

Who's the person who started this lie

Attached: don.png (466x449, 359K)

kek at the red crotch gem

they're not going to chuck 3d out anytime soon because 3d is a medium with lots of growth yet to come. new programs are made every animated film, they're figuring out how to rig things faster and more effectively, unique stuff is being made very fast. 2d is pretty much a medium with no growth in it since it's so old we know all we'll ever know about it. so as a consumer, i would be more excited about films that pull off unique styles instead of the usual pixar blandness, such of book of life and spiderverse

Attached: 1553917434727.jpg (700x625, 48K)

I feel like I'm the only person on Yea Forums that doesn't exclusively suck off that oldschool Disney/Glenn Keane style of animation. Its good, but fuck, there ought to be other styles of animation besides basic appeal and overly theatrical acting.

Hi John K.

give example of overly theatrical?

The DC animated movies also look really ugly and unappealing. It's like they used anime as a base and then removed everything people like about anime

OP

>tfw Spiderverse made every upcoming cgi film look visually boring.
I don't care about how photorealistic Toy Story 4 looks, I want more style now.

Attached: joe.png (505x424, 515K)

cringe

3d isn't cheaper it's just easier

I dunno but it continuously pisses me off to no end.

Even adjusted for inflation 2D films only costed about 45 million dollars to create, compare that to a 3D film which costs twice as much for a low budget feature and over 4 times as much for high budget animated features.

Gotta love when people use nebulous terms like "Can't accept change" that sound like an insult but don't actually mean anything. They could start to only make films in fucking GoAnimate, and that'd be a "change" people won't accept in the same way as doing only 3D films. The difference is one is far more egregious/obviously bad.

I don't even think there has to be a contest, 3D and 2D are both appealing in their own right.

>the amount of time, money, and effort put into ITSV could've easily resulted in two movies, one 2D and one 3D
>we got only one mediocre movie with hybrid visuals that are neither valuable as 2D or easily reproduced like 3D

Attached: 367316b1e6.jpg (348x324, 12K)

>3d isn't cheaper it's just easier

This lie needs to stop spreading too. 3d animation is a fuck ton more difficult than 2d in a shit ton of areas. 3d animation requires talented modelers, riggers, animators, lighters, texture artists, programmers, and renderers on top of needed well managed machines to create them on.

Seriously I think half of Yea Forums is populated with retards that think computer animation is as simple as just pressing a button.

you want the worst of both worlds instead of pushing forward an infant medium?

New =/= good. If I wanted to see advancements in a medium I'd go watch tech demos

Attached: dreamworks1.webm (1280x720, 440K)

co knows nothing about animation? shocker

Attached: animation pipeline.jpg (960x936, 131K)

i swear i saw one exactly like this except with the lorax.

Attached: jamesbaxterel.gif (350x221, 2M)

No, I want the best of both worlds, two movies, a modern traditionally animated movie, an actually good Spider-Man animated movie, and not a one-off experiment style that will never be replicated again due to how inefficient it is. ITSV is "pushing" 3D about as much as Thief and the Cobbler pushed 2D, that is, not at all despite having value on its own.

Glen Keane is literally God.

>that will never be replicated again due to how inefficient it is.
source other than your ass?

>a modern traditionally animated movie
stop huffing fairy dust, it's not happening

It was supposed to happen with pic related but it got canned.

Attached: gigantic.jpg (1000x562, 330K)

the lorax one is an edit, the original is from some dreamworks video I cant find anymore.

>stop huffing fairy dust, it's not happening
yes it is

>stop huffing fairy dust, it's not happening
Why not? There's plenty of 2D in Asia and Europe, so there's clearly a demand for it

Watch the behind-the-scenes for ITSV, they broke both budgetary and time constraints by constantly adding new layers to the frames, it's not a revolutionary new technique, it's just a fuck ton of manual work that rivals the effort necessary for an entire 2D movie on its own. The only reason it wasn't done before was because it wasn't deemed necessary, not lack of knowledge or technology.

I'm pretty sure Gigantic was going to be CGI

In 15 or 20 years Disney will make a 2d princess movie, advertise it as a "return to their roots," and will make a billion off the nostalgia.

I'm pretty sure the last time they tried that marketing campaign the movie bombed horribly.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQBy6jqbmlU

No. You can't focus group the top one, when people see animated line art they just think "wow, they sure are working hard on it" and suppress any objections they might raise with a finished product. It's easier to get something a focus group will actually pick apart using CGI, so you can remove things like Anna's suggestive expression when she looks back at dorky Disney hunk #101785712 without having to start from scratch with entirely new lines, you just puppet the models you've already made a different way.

All the names of 3D animators you see at the end of modern CGI movies are mostly making mock-up scenes for the director to put eyes on and sign off like takes in a live action flick. Directing "animated" movies has never taken less talent and skill than it does today.

I fail to understand how these points of it being difficult to reproduce is of any concern to the viewer.

Based retard who's never animated in his life

Yes. When Disney can successfully automate it.

Whether they perfect their Paperman Engine or construct robots and program them to draw traditional animation doesn't matter. It's whenever they actually automate that they'll return to 2D.

Not that user, but 3D saves time, which can save money in the long-run.

Like, let's take How to Train Your Dragon for example. Imagine if they did that movie in 2D and they had to push out the version of the film where Toothless was a tiny dragon that cracked jokes because the movie was already 75% done. That movie would've bombed.

But because the way CG productions work, they were able to redo most of the story while re-using most assets and create a hit franchise.

This. The medium doesn't matter, the concepts and stories told are trash especially Disney nowadays since they've been on a sequel fest and I don't look forward to Frozen 2. That's going to be a very SPAM ANNOYING time to put up with. And worse Disney's films are full of propaganda, leftist propaganda to be precise.

someday it will.

>the concepts and stories told are trash
This. It's like people forget how bad Home on the Range, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and Princess and the Frog were just because a pencil test is pretty.

It did okay and it's budget did return but because of Avatar (appearently) and the title it just couldn't stand up as long.

2D will come back, I don't when, but I got a gut feeling.

Attached: 4s83n0m.gif (960x798, 25K)

That also happens to 2D films too. Also it's a lot more stressful when that happens.

>Clements and Musker were shocked when, in April 1991, just 19 months before “Aladdin” was set to open, Katzenberg asked them to start over. He wasn’t happy with the directors’ script or the story reel and wanted them to, among other things, “86 the mother.” That day became known as “Black Friday.” The production, though, still had to make its planned release date of Nov. 25, 1992

To be fair Princess and the Frog just wasn't that good.

Attached: 1519071601786.png (1008x812, 47K)

Attached: tumblr_o04pl2jErr1t0xyebo1_1280.jpg (1280x880, 485K)

The only issue i saw with that is that sony wanted to trademark that animation style

Lotta armchair critics, especially in the drawthreads

Preston Blair construction will never return. Everything has to be designed for Toonboom puppet rigs now.

Attached: Goof Troop Morning.webm (1440x1080, 3M)

Treasure Planet is very overrated. The only reason people still talk about the film is "Muh space cat girl furry!" But yeah the story was very boring. And the concept of literally mixing outdated old cultures with sci-fi was just weird. It's a universe of space ships and sci-fi lasers and hearing Amelia say "Pirates should be hanged" will always be weird. Very old and outdated method of executing criminals. Treasure Planet was just a weird mix of throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks. And ultimately it did NOT stick. It was literally up there with Disney's other under performers like "What if Robin Hood and co were anthro animals?" That's all you need to know about Treasure Planet. Just an aimless movie release with no true cemented identity or cemented concept of what it wanted to be leaving to a half-assed product.

No... I want to believe.

Attached: 1534717966047.png (1280x757, 843K)

Sorry, that's TOO expensive. Hell, just curving a character's body is too expensive! If you can't just drag and drop the model sheet poses onto a frame, it's going to cost big bucks. That's why modern PPG manages to be uglier than original PPG despite the original being designed purposely to meet a small budget.

Attached: 543535363.png (989x719, 1.06M)

Are there even enough traditional 2d animators to be able to make like above?

It seems like every new 2d animator in the west is a rigged 2d animator.

>How to date your product; the show.
Hell, fucking Earthworm Jim knew not to do that; youtube.com/watch?v=HSS_IzRzdnU

Attached: 9550045fbf57865fbddcae81662c2ad5.jpg (1000x698, 87K)

nuPPG is bad because it's done by shitty artists, not because it's modern. Just like when Savino Dexter ruined the already simple designs of the show

So what, did they just do the whole movie in rough 2d and then make a shitty 3d version? Why the fuck would they release these and prove how much worse CG animation is?

It's also bad cause the writing is shit which foremost is what matters.

>pushing forward an infant medium
it did not do shit holy shit you retards over sell this shit film

There's tons of talented independent animators, but good luck trying to round them all up in a studio to make film with a singular animation style.

Attached: clarence.png (693x379, 76K)

whoops wrong file

Attached: talesof.gif (600x338, 2.71M)

Unironically based. I'm all for variety and I wish more people talked about well executed limited animation and UPA style animation when discussing 2D. I don't mind 3d CGI, there's just a higher threshold of it actually being able to impress me.

Well, Netflix is giving it a go with Klaus.

I think the way to convince audiences to watch 2D animated films is by making it LOOK like it’s CG.

yes it will be back.

I think it'll come back, but I doubt any of us will be around to see it.

Klaus looks horrible.

It's not a lie.

How can one post be so wrong?

Never in a million years mother fucker.

unironically kys.