‘Aladdin’ Remake Is A Box Office Win For Disney

cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/aladdin-remake-is-a-box-office-win-for-disney-174800.html

Attached: Aladdin-2019-Movie-Budget-Cost.jpg (1400x700, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HSWj5_-F9Q4
variety.com/2018/film/news/latino-asian-moviegoers-mpaa-study-1202743713/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie made after Walt’s death. I went in with an open mind and I still can’t get over how this remake is just absolute garbage.

This is the hard wall we have. People realize it's garbage, people realize it's a shitty cashgrab, even normies do. They still see it because it's Disney and "muh childhood" and we can't get normiefags to not spend that $12 to see something this low-effort
It really doesn't matter what we do, they are going to crank out this garbage until they have no more properties to do this to and they'd be stupid not to. And it fucking sucks

It was a really fucking weird movie.

anyone who went to see this, wether if they wanted to or to warn others, should just stop talking, like right now.

Am I the only one concerned that Disney might be the only studio making money this year? Like, with them owning FOX now and outside the new Godzilla and Hobbs + Shaw, I can't really think of any other studios landing potential money makers this year.

Just seems like Hollywood is about to go broke soon...

Attached: Box Office 2019.png (487x418, 21K)

>Hollywood is about to go broke soon.
God I hope.

Good. I like Robin and was hoping for him to have a win

No, soon holywood will belong to disney

What happens if Hollywood goes broke?

Yea Forums - Box Office figures & Disney shilling

Uh how the fuck did Alita make 404M

>Disney is all who's left in Hollywood
>Gets broken up due to anti-monopoly laws

Attached: 255346.png (503x349, 100K)

>Philippines
>WTH is that country?
>Google it
I didn't know there was an Asian Island country 1/3 the size of America in terms of population that can speak English, but has Spanish surnames, is a Christian majority, yet also multi-ethnic Asians and one of the biggest markets for Hollywood.

This won't happen unless Disney pisses off Trump. On the other hand, Trump gets mad at lots of things, so this isn't an impossibility.

A huge power shift.

Trump won't be in forever even if he wins again. Doesn't need to be just with him

Hooray for soulless cashgrabs making money from the dumb masses!

Iger and Pearlmutter are best friends with Trump so Disney is protected.

You've never met filipinos? That's one of the larger countries of Southeast Pacific Asia.

>Communism was a meme
>Capitalism is now becoming a meme
Just kill this fucking planet already, God, Satan, Allah, Odin, Shiva, Buddha, Quetzalcoatl, Mother Nature, whoever. I don't want to live on this Earth where will have to endure soulless nostalgia Disney shit until the heat death of the universe.

...Unless they piss him off

IF YOU WANT THEM TO STOP MAKING BAD MOVIES
STOP SEEING BAD MOVIES

How does Robin win with a shitty remake of one of his greatest rolls?

James Cameron and flashy visuals probably.

>shite live action remakes will once again make up half the announcements at D23 this year
I'm fucking overjoyed I tell ya

Attached: 1541352121450.jpg (1024x407, 34K)

As long as they don't touch Black Cauldron I do not care.

It was decent. How the fuck did Captain Marvel make a billion?

>nostalgia sells again despite how shit it is

COLOR ME SURPRISED

Attached: mahvel.jpg (500x500, 38K)

>Never heard of the phillipines
I can understand not knowing quite a few countries but not our neighbor who threatened to war Canada if they didn't stop dumping their trash

I meant will smith

Attached: AF779032-2663-4212-B34E-19EC72DFB4DF.gif (288x198, 1.45M)

At least we'll figure out what those original fucking Disney Animation and Pixar films are. They've made nothing but sequels for five years it'll be refreshing to get some new stuff from them.

>phillipines
>our neighbor
Do you live in Japan or something? Because the Philippines are as far from the USA as it is possible to be and still be located on Earth.

>marvel
>WOMENS RIGHTS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>he doesn't know that Trump is America's Caesar and will bring about the downfall of the republic

>Caesar is followed by Augustus who solidifes the empire for history.

>This won't happen unless Disney pisses off Trump.
Trump is doing jack shit to break up big companies. In fact, he's done nothing but give them further power and a cozy pro-corporate supreme court. He and Bezos have pissing contests that amount to nothing, you are falling for the bantz again.

>How the fuck did Captain Marvel make a billion?

advertising to feminists

China loved it

By the time Disney gets big, they'll be owning congress. They already fucked up copyright laws just by lobbying hard.

Shady business practices wherein they inflate ticket sales to avoid the bad PR that would come from it being a flop because someone did a cost/benefit analysis and it came up 'prop that crap up'?
That or a lot of people went to see the movie. One or the other.

Chronicles of Prydain is already on the list.

Same way we did, it became a cultural Fuck you to straight white males.

it got a HUGE help from North america militia

FACK

Disney's never gonna stop shitting these out now. This should have been the flop to derail the money train.

Endgame hype spillout and manufactured drama surrounding it (likely courtesy of the mouse).

In an entertaining way or no?

Honestly, it could make a red cent and Disney would keep doing it. They're just churning these out to make sure they don't lose the rights down the road

>they've made nothing but sequels for the past 5 years
Inside Out, Good Dinosaur, and Coco were all within the past 5 years. There's been the same amount of originals and sequels in that time period.

>America
>In the Year of Our Lord 2019
>Enforcing anti-trust law
HA!
That's a good one

WB will make money off IT 2 and Joker. I dont see anybody but Disney pulling in that billion though

>yfw Disney will have at least 7 billion dollar films this year

Attached: 1544930095939.png (483x470, 216K)

I think after emoji became a box office win, I stopped caring about "cinema" as a serious art medium.

It was better than Captain Marvel yet still did worse. I wont account to tastes.

>it was Caesars fault that everyone around him was traitorous scum

IT 2 will kill for sure.
Joker will do well for its budget, but it's not likely going to be a major hit or anything.

Hollywood died with the 20th century.

Already happened
>Endgame
>Captain Marvel

Guaranteed
>Star Wars IX

Likely
>Toy Story 4
>Frozen 2
>Lion King

Maybe
>Far From Home

I think 7 is a stretch to be honest. I could see FFH falling a little short, but the rest will probably make it.

Disney very well might have the top 10 movies of the year, though. I have no idea what else could top even Far From Home. Jumanji is the only thing I can think of, and it probably won't catch the magic of the previous one.

But IT 2 won't have a sexy redhead in it.

>Star Wars IX
Oh yeah, that exists.

whatever you say, pedo

The kids are also in it

when you have to wonder, the answer is generally China.

>It was decent.
No it wasn't. Neither as an adaptation, neither as an original movie. this shit is Shamalayan Last airbender tier in every aspect.

I wonder if this meme about Disney buying the tickets themselves is going to be true...

That is the single most asinine conspiracy theory ever concocted.

>concocted
Nice word, I will use it too.

Money laundering and Endgame hype

Donfer is a betico of the universe????

Far from home is distributed by Sony.

>MFW They announce live action Treasure Planet

Attached: 1369623051219.jpg (166x231, 6K)

>yfw they remake the MCU

Whatever? I get the source material is going to be better, I thought it was better than you give it credit for.

This really underlines the problem with the love action remake; you eventually run out of your own shit to eat.
Don't think Disney isn't aware of this either, all the weird decisions the powers that be have made of late are just desperately flailing about trying to get a garaunteed money machine besides Marvel. Because, y'know eggs and baskets.

The only reason these movies make decent money is that they are dirt cheap, and Dumbo couldn't even pull off a profit.

Also everyone needs to keep in mind that Bob Iger is retiring next year.

It's not. For a bunch of reasons it's pretty fucking illegal and stupid

Be honest Yea Forums
Why did you see this movie despite it being hot garbage?
It's okay to admit you have no self control and will buy anything that looks familiar.

By the time that happens, they'll have moved all their mpvies to premiere on Disney+

FFH is Sony though?

A bigger issue i'd argue is how many they are putting out this year, there are for live action 'remakes' being out this year, the only reason remakes is in quotes is Maleficent 2, but beyond that there's Dumbo, Lion King and Aladdin.

Disney is big enough to get away with it.

>Why did you see this movie despite it being hot garbage?
>will buy anything that looks familiar.
We didn't. Normies did.

>We didn't. Normies did.
Yea Forums is the normiest of all boards

But it wasn't hot garbage. It was good. 2nd best Disney remake behind Jungle Book in my eyes. Will Smith pulled off the near impossible. He beat internet cynicism and Robin Williams nostalgia in a similar vein as Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart did with Jumanji and gave a fantastic perfromance. Naomi Scott and Mena Massoud were good too. The only weak link was Jafar.

who cares what some random fagnon, especially from Yea Forums thinks. as long as you enjoy it

To the surprise of no one, even those that hated the movie.

Disney bought a few theatres to inflate the numbers. Still, I dont think they spent over 100 million on tickets. The movie still makes a billion even after accounting for the inflated numbers

it was the movie right before endgame. and you don't want to be lost when you see endgame do you? mcu's model makes the mcu an overarching plot so you have to see most of the films to makes sense of that plot.

They why did Ghostbusters fail?

People asked for more female superheroes. They never asked for another Ghostbusters.

>Disney bought a few theatres
I know that in the past century film companies used to own movie theaters, until the government passed a law that forbade them to. Is it still active or was it repealed?

Personally, I envision Chump as Nero

They pitched the 'female Ghostbusters' part of it too hard, the CGI looked trash, the comediennes they chose weren't funny, and nobody asked for it to begin with. You can actually see the raw disgust in Dan Akroyd's cameo.

Immediately came out before Endgame so people thought it was "vital" to Endgame when it wasn't
There's a reason this specific one came out before Endgame and it's they wanted the female one to be that successful

Even if that is true, something tells me this new Ghostbusters won't do any better. Ghostbusters had its time but young people today had no i terest in 2015 and they damn sure don't now.

Well at least you acknowledge the flaw in that stupid theory.

Who is going to see these movies? People always complain about the shitty remakes then they make money. Is it just parents and kids?

Attached: 1381107530552.jpg (550x449, 75K)

>America enforcing laws against corporations
Come back when you've graduated high school and realize how the world really works

Attached: 1554611602189.png (310x392, 126K)

Open minded people with disposable income. You l ow the kind who don't post on Yea Forums or get involved in youtube circlejerks about movies. They just go see what they want and either enjoy it or don't.

>Dumb parents
>Dumb kids
>Dumb normalfags
>Dumb disneyfags
>Dumb literal womanchildren obsessed with Disney
>Dump people who want to see how bad it is
>Literal bugpeople a.k.a. All of China

Fuck.

I fucking hate Disney.

shut the fuck up, boco

No.

Normies who have kids.

Simple. Budgets and other film spending has gotten ridiculous.

Horror movies, for all the flak they get, have a much better grip on financial expenditure vs box office.

They tend to make a profit, due to low budgets while taking in plenty of cash.

But no, let's spend like lunatics then act shocked when audiences can't match the lunacy spending.

This is literally their strategy. No one else can compete with them if they're unable to get any franchises off the ground because they're constantly having to go to theaters against Disney franchises.

And its the other studios' fault as well for not caring about driving their franchises into the ground. "If we make something bad, we'll just reboot it in a few years when everyone forgets" they kept saying.

Now the only things that haven't irrevocably damaged their own reputations are fucking Illumination.

People don't want reboots anymore, they want sequels, but now there isn't anything to make sequels to because they rebooted everything.

Hollywood has basically developed a ridiculous obsession with overspending on films, in the often-vain hope they'll somehow "might break even".

The logical strategy against Marvel is to wait it out. Save your huge budgets for your proven SCRIPTS. You can't spend like there's no tomorrow.

A Quiet Place made $340m on a budget of $17m. That's an insane 20x multiplier.

However, Infinity War made $2B on a budget of $400m. While it's only a 5x multiplier, it's $1.6B in gross profit rather than $333m.

Even ignoring the fact that A Quiet Place was a major outlier (to be fair, so was IW), big budget movies simply bring in more cash more often. Percentage over budget isn't the only factor here. A studio can only release so many movies a year, so it's not like they can just make 30 $10m horror movies instead of one $300m capeflick.

>wait it out
Until when? The MCU still isn't gone, and it's got years ahead of it.

>proven SCRIPTS
There's no such thing.

The strategy against Marvel is good movies and good release dates, you don't release stuff close to Endgame or CM.

Assuming the SJWs don't ruin it all. Captain Marvel wasn't a character, she was a checklist of boxes to mark.

And I'm not impressed by the successor characters I've seen so far.

Wouldn't be so bad with my country's film market literally flooded with movies neighbouring and East Asian countries...but I'm gonna miss watching the ever familiar American sceneries on the big screen.

But you must admit Hollywood can seriously step up its writing game.

they should start remaking lame movies instead of perfect ones if they have to do these shitty live action things. like princess and the frog, they could only improve on the story and it would buy them tons of wokebux

"Titan A.E" when? I want to see more Stith.

>They've made nothing but sequels for five years it'll be refreshing to get some new stuff from them.
Nah, Disney films have lost their soul and I don't think much can be done to regain it. I think it's best for the industry and perhaps the entire world if they just give up on animation.

Disney is ironically the weak link in Pixar/Marvel/Disney. Disney may have a ton of cash and power, but there's no question they're not very creator-friendly. They've driven more than one content-maker into the arms of their opponents. It's also clear they're way too reliant on their old properties, instead of making anything new.

i think series are becoming bigger than movies these days. what with netflix and hulu and game of thrones and now disney+.

didn't hirch quit disney because they drove him to madness?

It sounds like glory-seeking to me. Like every year, there's several overbudgeted sci-fi epics that in the minds of these executives, are primed to be the next massive blockbuster franchise, and win them the credit of having greenlit a franchise worth hundreds of millions, but the audience can see it will flop, because it's not a property enough people care about.

Attached: Valerian.jpg (960x1440, 343K)

I mean if people stopped voting Democrat then corporations wouldn't have so much pull.

All the glory-seeking in the world doesn't make money if your film sucks.

I'd rather make a solid film with a budget that's actually reasonable, and then watch as I make several times my budget back.

Profit.

>budgets 250-350 million
>marketing 100-300 million
It's not like they're making a lot of money considering that theatres gets 50% and more.

>because it's not a property enough people care about
You mean like Iron Man or Aquaman or Avatar?
This notion that a franchise needs to have a massive following to make a popular movie is asinine.

I like the part where you make up a hypothetical marketing range.

quality doesn't matter. pretty much every surprise success was considered a finanial risk back when it was made. they call them black swans.

I ran into a friend I hadn't seen for a while and she invited me to see it with her and another friend.
Friendship is stronger than principles about mediocre movies.

These execs are idiots. The leaked Sony emails seem to confirm that they're always searching for the next billion dollar franchise, even from stupid sources like Spider-Man spinoffs about Aunt May and Gwen Stacy Carnage, rather than releasing more modestly budgeted movies with more chance of turning a profit.

Movies like Avatar and Inception make the money they do based on Director cred. Iron Man 1 didn't make all that much money.

this
people follow talent. like oh, guardians of the galaxy, who the fuck are they? dunno, but chris pratt is in it and karen gillian and there's a talking raccoon. sold.

>Iron Man 1 didn't make all that much money
It made $585m on a budget of $140m. Not only is that very successful, but it did it at a time when billion dollar movies were not common. In 2008, only 2 movies grossed more than $700m, and both were parts of previous franchises.

If these rival execs want to make superhero films, they need to go into the dark places that Marvel won't explore.

And I'm not talking about "DC oh I'm such a dark and edgy hero" stuff.

I mean "Watchmen"-tier superhero stuff that questions the very nature of how much good superheroes actually do. Marvel is too goody-goody to touch that stuff.

A guaranteed small profit is fine, but it makes a lot of sense to take a risk for a major profit. I'm not going to deny that those emails were full of idiocy - because they absolutely were - but making big budget movies makes perfect sense.

These "rival execs" just made a ton of money with Venom, Deadpool, and Aquaman. Three of the top 10 movies of last year were non-Marvel capeshit.

They don't need cynical movies to succeed.

Big budgets should be within reason if there isn't certainty.

Remember how Disney bungled "Solo"?

You can't make a prequel without surprises because it's a prequel. You can't be by-the-numbers on that, since the nature of the format means there are less surprises to begin with.

after the last two.

Should have stopped at Six.

My point still stands. Marvel can't dominate the superhero genre in all departments, because the Marvel universe is optimistic and afraid to go into certain places.

well new one is tagging Stranger Things cast members

Seriously, "Winter Soldier" was the closest Marvel got to a DS9 and even then it couldn't fully commit.

Solo should have just been a heist film. None of this Origin story bullshit.

Han Chewie and Lando all out to land a score.

This Burt Reynolds Western would have been a great template.

Attached: product_2362.jpg (1528x2156, 748K)

I hope Trump will rage a lot then.

Damn I miss those days.

Now nobody wants to produce an Superhero film unless it'll be a billion dollar blockbusters.

Hell Maybe DC can get that niche back. Solid films with moderate profit.

what even is the definition of superhero films? i think we'll be getting more movies about exceptional powered people in general

Attached: rapunzel05.jpg (400x300, 16K)

that or an origin story that actually gave him a character arc.
like those books where he used to work for the empire as a pilot, but got dissillusioned and left

i miss thrawn

>Sucess

Dinsey won't see it that way if it doesn't break a billion

I know Marvel's optimistic vision feels out of touch considering how the world actually is.

They wasted the "Solo used to work for the Empire" thing. They just skipped through it.

And the heist stuff felt seriously underwritten.

Aunts, Grandmas and the children who have to deal them.

So what? TV stars don't always bring drawing poeer to big budget films. For an example see any movie starring a Game of Thrones cast member or a Bog Bang Theory cast member. The two biggest shows of the last decade have yet to create 1 mid-level movie star.

Trump is clearly Caligula.

Yeah, but never forget this. The original cast had DECADES to make Ghostbusters 3 happen. The remake sucked hard, but it never would have happened if they'd just focused and made the third film.

>live action treasure planet
holy shit this is the only remake I would watch

Attached: A915383F-9993-45D0-A775-CE42ADF13D98.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

They'll be pleased when it inevitably pulls in 700+ million. After all, that is over 3 times its 183 million dollar budget and thus a profitable movie and the real money is in merchandising which there is plenty and Disney films are the only home video entertainment that still sells DVDs and Blu-Rays out of the wazoo. Plus it will be another great title for Disney+

I disliked that every single female character pretty much acted the same, which is the direct opposite of inclusion.

Four chicks and not a single tomboy among them? I don't buy it.

>"We're carrying dangerous nuclear accelerators on our backs. We don't know what we're doing. What are the odds something will go wrong?"

Attached: rs_1024x759-180621072527-1024-daria-mtv.ch.062118.jpg (1024x759, 37K)

Jasmine is hot as fuck

I sorta hope the Chinese government just says 'fuck you, no sale' to american media entirely soon, for our sake. At this rate their literally infinite legions of consumers willing to drop into a seat for a dumb disney flick are going to slam us through the 'bottom denominator' down till we hit... well... china.

I'm not optimistic about the odds of an authoritarian one-party regime making good movies anytime soon. The country doesn't even have unregulated internet.

they never will. it wasn't a hit in the box office, and the general public doesn't consider it a classic

optimistic works always make more money in dark times. superman was a big hit in the great depression years. people want escapism not realism

I don't think you understood his post, at all.

>Jasmine is hot as fuck

Attached: >wreck it ralph 2 thread.jpg (680x622, 72K)

This.

Everyone knew it wasn't going to be good, but they went to see it because of Disney's name and childhood nostalgia. At this point I just fucking give up. It doesn't matter any more.

Attached: 608.jpg (709x765, 72K)

A spiritually bankrupt nation with no morality or consistent ideology beyond mindless consumerism and "muh nationalism" dragging us down with them due to the size of their box office market?

I got it. I'm just saying that kind of place can't make good movies.

>It makes a ton of money in the first week
>Automatic success

Let's see how it does in the SUBSEQUENT weeks, how big the box office drop is by percentage. Calling it a win this early is patently absurd.

Attached: Disapproval Decker.jpg (1024x764, 70K)

China is next king of the entertainment business. Which is sad

The problem with Solo's budget is that they made the movie twice. If they had made it with Ron Howard from the beginning, it wouldn't have been nearly as inflated. The movie itself was fine, but the marketing and behind the scenes are where they fucked that one up.

I feel you, but we're already on the way back.
Marvel has made two Ant-Man movies, neither of which was ever expected to break records. DC made Shazam and is now doing Joker. Black Widow is almost certainly not aiming for Avengers level box office either.

Only in terms of market. You really think creativity can flourish in such a restricted place?

Both of those shows just ended literally last month - at least give it time before you claim that.

but yeah - no one outside of Jim Parsons has a chance from the BBT cast at being a movie headliner

>caring this much about what other people like
yikes, user. yikes.

I'm skeptical of that. Ron Howard is severely overrated (he's made a string of misfires over the course of his career).

My issue with "Solo" is that it is bafflingly predictable, which is a bad thing when you're making a prequel. You need to inject surprises since the general outcome is already known.

Fuck off you edgy fuck.

fuck off with your shitty opinions

Hollywood won't go broke, it will all be ruled by Disney. Watch as Disney makes a push to get rid of anti-monopolies in a few year

Your not really differentiating it from the US to someone who comes from neither

I wonder when someone will finally step in and break up disney like what the fuck.

Attached: raven 3.png (853x745, 284K)

Marvel films aren't really optimistic, they have deeply cynical undercurrents.

>Ron Howard is severely overrated
I agree he's hit and miss, but the movie we ended up with was mostly his. If they had hired him from the beginning, the movie wouldn't have been all that different, but they would've saved at least $100m by not having to remake it.
Side note - Rush is pure kino, a legit GOAT sports movie.

> My issue with "Solo" is that it is bafflingly predictable
I agree there too. I really liked the movie, but at times it was definitely checking boxes rather than telling a story. It's a shame that it flopped, because a pusedo-sequel featuring Maul would've been fantastic. That was not only a major surprise, but one of the coolest moments of a film acknowledging its expanded material ever... yet it will probably amount to nothing.

I don't think that's going to impact Disney

The most upsetting part of solo doing poorly is it’s existence as the best Disney Wars.

I care about bad movies getting more funding while good movies don't get made because of brand name alone.

Yeah and Emilia Clarke was handed Terninator: Genisys 4 years ago and that flopped and Parsons, who I do like, was handed HOME a few years back and that bombed. Both shows may have ended recently but they've both been on tv for the better part of a decade and Hollywood has tried pushing their reseptcive stars for at least 5 years now. Something twlls me we won't be seeing a Will Smith or Tom Hanks cone out of those shows.

I'm afraid people know the live actions remakes are shit, but they go to see it because "it's a Disney movie", like it's an obligation.

You can see it with the marvel movies and all the people that says "I'm going to take a break for the MCU after endgame" like they don't go to the movies for fun, they go because they're obligated to

I did enjoy seeing Darth Maul again. He actually improved as a character once he got free of the prequel trilogy. Abandoned by Sidious, vengeful, and rogue; Maul was forced to survive on his own.

The biggest issue is that they kept Han, Chewie, or Lando in pretty much every tense scene, which fucked over the film on a fundamental level. If you're using characters who appear in a chronologically later installment you can give them character moments, you can give them dramatic moments, you can even give them exciting moments, but you can't put them in mortal danger. The fact that out of all the side characters only the robot (who really feels like two characters awkwardly mashed together in editing) and Qira (at the very end of the film) come off as interesting.

I did like Beckett's crew, who the movie stupidly killed off way too early.

Tencent: *laughs in chinese*

How many critically acclaimed Chinese authors are in exile? I've lost count.

>Terminator Genisys
>Home
Neither of those flopped because of the actors though. Sure, they didn't help, but putting the blame on them is a pretty big stretch.

Literally zero people would have thought the next big action star would be the fat kid from Parks and Rec, yet here we are. All it takes is the right project.

No one is pushing Parsons as a leading man. You're also forgetting that Genysis sucked ass. Me Before You make 10x its budget with her in the lead.

God I hope California falls into the ocean. The amount of power and money that media moguls and studios have is insane and the fact that they're all just centralized in one place is fucking scary.

Or someone else gets in and they break them up

It wasn't repealed, studios still aren't allowed to own theatre chains. Not that it matters.

You don't buy theatres and tickets directly. What you do is designate one of your charities to buy up, say, 50 million dollars of tickets. The charities can then disperse them, meaning everybody gets free tickets. But the cost of buying those tickets still goes back into the movie theatres and back to you eventually, less the theatre cut, because it is a charity and giving them out for free, is a write-off. So you actually don't lose much, or at least lose significantly less, because "donating" your money to the charity (which then buys tickets for your movie), even if it's a charity you own, actually counts as tax relief for you, so you pay less tax and the charity is to a degree tax exempt.

It's scummy, almost literally money laundering, and completely morally bankrupt, but legal.

On top of that, Disney now has the corporate muscle to dictate to theatres that they will get a higher cut of the gross (TLJ was something like 65% of the ticket sale in the first week or weekend, but, although only anecdotal at the moment, it seems common now for Disney to order theatre chains to give them upwards of 50%). And if the theatre objects? Disney can just blacklist them from their movies. Which, because Disney owns Fox and approximately 50% of the Hollywood movie output (not actual Hollywood, they only have 28-30% there), means theatres are bent over a table and fucked raw.

It ends up roughly on level with paying off critics to give you good reviews (not paying with cash, but with "benefits" and "early access" and that's something everybody does).

Hollywood is a sewer controlled by several Jabba the Hutt type "crime lords" at the top.

>I googled "tax break" once and spent 5 minutes reading a thread on reddit so now I'm an expert

>talent
this board is an embarrassment

Attached: 1556696413062.png (446x460, 159K)

If they were going to give the Genie a love interest, of all things, Disney should have gone all out and made it a man instead of Jasmine’s handmaiden.

Hell, the Hakeem character had a mini-arc, could’ve been him.

California is slowly turning back into a desert. It was settled during an unusual wet period in the region's region.

Still waiting for the announcement of a Kingdom Hearts Cinematic Universe.

Not gonna happen. Wil Smith has played a gay man ONCE in hos career and that was pre-Bad Boys. A megastar like him can't play a gay guy, it would hurt his international drawing power. Up and coming actors and drama stars are the only men who can play gay characters and not lose anything from doing it.

>talent
ayy lmao

God I hope Godzilla outperforms expectations this coming weekend, it would be the only thing that could wash the taste of this film out of my mouth.

Attached: 1558663618819.jpg (1440x1715, 105K)

But it's not even a consistent hit. These are hit and misses.

Beauty and the Beast: Hit
Pete's Dragon: Miss
Aladdin: Hit
Dumbo: Miss
Lion King: Will definitely be a hit

I find it kind of funny that it IS glory seeking, since if you look at some of the most well known film and television in history, their budgets weren't THAT big and you can tell they definitely cut corners in a lot of places. Hell, Star Trek was INFAMOUS for that shit back in the day. Nevermind the line up of famous 'man in a suit' monster movies that still retain popularity to this day like King Kong and Godzilla.

Pretty pictures does not a classic make. It's why despite being such a smash hit, Avatar has been pretty much forgotten by the majority.

The problem with "Avatar" is that the writing was ridiculous and the message cops out at the end.

If he loves her so much, what does it matter if he's a human and she's a Na'vi? It'd be fun to have a GF a handful of feet bigger than you.

Movie chickened out.

Bullshit. People ssw GOTG because it was Marvel. In fact Pratt has yet to really challenge his star poser. All his movies are either connected to a brand that sells no matter sho is in it (Marvel, Juradsic Park) or plays secondary lead to someone else (Denzel Washington in Magnificent Seven and Jessica Lawrence in Passengers)

Just like their respective originals.

Tencent dont need them. They made TVB dramas actually watchable again. Basically owns most of californian real estate and has finger in as many pies as Disney does

Oh yeah I absolutely know that movie is a walking garbage fire but when it first came out it was consistently being shilled everywhere as the next big thing that we will all remember as a childhood classic sci-fi. It's pretty nuts to look back on it now that its been largely forgotten and wholly dismissed, so it serves as a good example of why this going way over budget for pretty pictures formula doesn't have much long term staying power.

I didn't like the subtext of the ending.

You can be with the hot alien chick, but not as yourself.

Especially since she clearly didn't mind that he was human. She didn't recoil at his true appearance.

>Just seems like Hollywood is about to go broke soon...

says increasingly nervous alt-right incel for the 5,000 time.

>based on Director cred
BFG had Disney and Spielberg attached. Massive failure.

Wouldn't happen without the approval of Square-Enix. The closest they'll ever get consistently is when they try to adapt their animated stories into live-action every time.

Why the fuck do people think Trump, the biggest corporate shill in all of America, will break up corporate bullshit? The dude isn’t doing fucking anything to break companies unless it’s China for not sucking his dick.

It would have pretty fucking difficult for him to be with her as a human considering that not only would he be a paraplegic in a stone age society, he also can't breathe in Pandora's atmosphere.

Hollywood as a whole doesn't go broke, but parts of Hollywood do go broke, and on a regular basis.

When will people learn?

youtube.com/watch?v=HSWj5_-F9Q4

The leg condition definitely prevents him from being with her in a traditional relationship, unless he likes her really being in charge.

>water discovered in hudson river
Hah

From what I've seen most people praising it only liked it because diversity and feminism.

I'm confused as to why they don't remake decently popular but flawed films, and use the remake to fix the issues audiences had with the original.

It's not even a sex thing, he's useless to that kind of society and without access to anything approaching modern medical practices he's going to quickly succumb to health issues related to being paralyzed.

B-But I thought it was "Get Woke, Go Broke?"

These films aren't being made with diversity and feminism in mind, they're made for nostalgia bucks and a built in audience. Diversity and feminism are a wallpaper that people can latch on and marketing teams can exploit. Take Captain Marvel for instance, it has no real feminist message outside a boilerplate, early 90s afterschool special-esque, "don't let others tell you that you can't do something." But it provides an easy point for people to focus on to make the film seem more important than it actually is, and you can see that in a lot of reviews where critique of the film itself points to a fairly average Marvel film.

>pro-corp president breaking up corps

LOL

Maleficent: Hit
Cinderella: Hit
Alice 1: Hit
Alice 2: Miss

Definitely more hits than misses.

>People saw GotG because it was Marvel
How do you reconcile that with the fact that Dr Strange, Ant-Man, and Thor are also Marvel, yet GotG made more than all of them?

Dr Strange only made a little bit less than GoTG1 and Ragnarok made as much money as GoTG2.

What was wrong with the first one? I won't deny that TLJ was a fucking trainwreck.

Let's wait til winter to get them riled up over Star Wars. Episode IX will score a big win, these wounded hearts will head to Rotten Tomatoes to downvote it, get denied because of "verified purchase" and come here to sulk, as always.

Probably literal not the meme boomers like my dad who are genuinely blown away by the transition to live action and use of CGI.

>Dr Strange only made a little bit less than GoTG1
It made $96m less. That's 12.5%, not just "a little bit."
> Ragnarok made as much money as GoTG2
It made close, but still not as much.

"It's Marvel, so it sells" doesn't really check out when you realize these movies don't all make the same amount of money. GotG made $60m more money than Captain America movie the same year, and none of them had ever been on screen.

But sure, go ahead and pretend like people only went and saw it because it's Marvel. It had nothing to do with the cast or director.

Don't forget accusing Disney of buying tickets when it inevitably makes $1.5b+ at the box office.

>12.% isn't "a little bit"
>Ragnaork didn't make the exact same amount of money as GoTG down the dime, therefore GoTG wins

Really?

Disney really deserves better Trolls. They've really attracted some of the most incompetent trollery I have ever witnessed.

What they should also do is more recuts of movies that got fucked by the studio in the past and have a theatrical rerelease. Imagine seeing Event Horizon in theaters but this time with the half hour or so of scenes in hell intact.

This is why you'll never be in charge of anything.

Yeah because I realize cutting out footage from a horror movie due to the audience finding it too unnerving is a fucking retarded idea.

Sometimes crap is just crap, even if it just unnerving crap.

>12.% isn't "a little bit"
It's not. It's almost $100m. That's not a small gap.
> therefore GoTG wins
If you're comparing things, yes - that's how it works.

Do you lack reading comprehension or something? Because you addressed absolutely no points.

I take issues with that clip

Stith is the second weakest character in that film after Gune. She serves literally no purpose.

I've addressed both points, you retard. You're trying to argue that a literal "give or take" means that GoTG somehow didn't have a massive boost thanks to Marvel already laying out the groundwork of gaining a fanbase over the years. You think because Ragnarok made $10 mil less than Guardians, somehow, that makes Guardians the massive winner.

Doctor Strange making $100 mil less than Guardians isn't a make or break scenario when you factor both made over $650 mil, making them gigantic successes for first-time franchise entries for characters no one cared about. Both of which had a huge boost with the Marvel tag. You're factor in exclusively the box office difference to favor one over the other but NOT the whole picture where both films made over half a billion.

The best way to make your point would be a series of graphs comparing the box offices of the Marvel films separated by franchise and time of release.

>the CGI looked trash
There were some things I remember liking in design, mostly in pic related, especially stilts ghost. But I remember when Slimer is initially shown he looked alright. But a later scene with girl Slimer they both looked downgraded in quality, like not even the same CGI model.
>the comediennes they chose weren't funny
Ghostbusters isn't even a straight up comedy. Akroyd took it seriously and dropped logic into the plot. I see more goofy scenes in a typical Marvel movie.
Not even excited for 3 because of that development hell. At least it got the best reaction out of Leslie Jones "It's like we didn't even matter!" Well you're not wrong.

Attached: spooks.jpg (1361x569, 168K)

Yes, and the list is that after The Avengers, every single Marvel movie made half a billion dollars or more. A huge portion of that success can be atoned to the Marvel tag, even more so than the director tag because their ensemble movies continued to see growth even after Joss Whedon left. And Joss Whedon went on to work on Justice League and it was not enough to undo DC's bad reputation because studio reputation holds a LOT more weight than the director. The director helps, but the studio does a lot more. Hence why Pixar coasts on its studio's name vs. the director's name.

considering how Hollywood is being strangled as well, who is left?

Based on what?
india, the indie scene. Small pockets of Europe

Creativity was always able to flourish in restricted environments. A large portion of the Renaissance were artists being strangled by Churches to make religious art, even if they weren't passionate about it. That's just art for business. That doesn't mean a good artist is unable to work around the restrictions, and many have been able to in Hollywood. Free reign =/= automatically mean better product sometimes.

>Creativity was always able to flourish in restricted environments.
Based on what?

>being strangled by Churches to make religious art
If by strangled you competing for highly lucrative Church gigs. Renaissance art was almost exclusively a commission-based industry and non-commissioned art from that era is comparatively lacking, and was usually a gift.

Based on the fact that there are many, many, many, many examples of works of art being made in large business institutions that are considered artistically important? Unless you think Hollywood in its golden era was some fantasy land that never controlled their directors in any form.

When I say strangled, I mean with the subject matter.

It's like how the majority of artists in America will have to accept working in children's entertainment if they want a gig in the animation industry. They might be highly competitive and pay extremely well if you're part of the union, but the subject matter is still very limiting and a lot of people get bored of the monotony.

There is a wealth of Renaissance art that isn't religious in nature, there is plenty of art commissioned by the Church that isn't religious in nature. The School of Athens was commissioned by Pope Julius II for the Apostolic Palace.

hate the corpartion and want to see it go under, but they hold my favourite franchise of all time and want to see a reboot.

What should I do?

Attached: asuhfapsgh.jpg (677x350, 77K)

>Bollywood MCU

not sure if want.

this is correct. the bottom line is money.

i feel bad for leslie. she got insulted by so many people over a movie that didn't even matter.

write your own thinly veiled ripoff

> Maleficent: Hit

Financially but it was a piece of shit movie.

Why would I pay to see a film full of sand niggers?

During the whole thing I was hoping she'd just log off Twitter and ignore it for a few days.

i guess there's no way the sequel could be worse

>Aladdin’ Remake Is A Box Office Win For Disney
No it's not, as of yet they haven't even earned back the money it cost to produce, let alone market the movie.

It cost $183 million to produce, and has GROSSED $267 million

Of that box office GROSS, Disney gets ~60% of the domestic market and ~40% of the foreign market

domestic gross: $128 million of which Disney get $77 million

foreign gross: $139 million of which Disney get $55 million

So against a production cost of $183 million, Disney is so far minus $51 million, BUT then we also have the advertising/promotional budget which is at least $80-100 million for a release like this, so in reality Disney is ~$140 million in the red currently.

It should break even either in its box office run or early streaming/bluray, and then start generating profit, but it's certainly not a 'Box Office Win' for Disney.

It will end up doing better than Dumbo and Detective Pikachu though.

>movies will lead people of color don't sell
why did you lie to me Yea Forums, you fucking shit eating cunt?

hispanics buy more movie tickets than many other demographics

Based upon what ? Back this up please

>Hispanic-Latino filmgoers went to the movies an average of 4.5 times during 2017 while Asians attended an average of 4.3 times. African-Americans went an average of 3.4 times last year and Caucasians attended an average of 3.2 times.

variety.com/2018/film/news/latino-asian-moviegoers-mpaa-study-1202743713/

It's adorable you think this way when we had a GOP controlled federal government and corporations were given way more pull. You are as delusional as the Dems who still cling to the fairy tale of Russiagate.

The Mexico of Asia, user

>Far From Home
Disney doesn't earn a single dollar from the movie