Will it be good?

Will it be good?

Attached: hickmanavengers.jpg (500x250, 37K)

Is Hickman a good writer?

The Avengers are old news. After the first flick no one's gonna wanna see another or read another book. Also don't forget to vote in 2012!

I fucked up - I meant to post an image from his X-Men run.

I'm not a big fan of his Avengers run, but I respect what he was trying to do.

I'm just breaking ya balls. Yeah it'll be good. I just caught up with East of West and it's terrific, I really recommend it especially as it seems more similar to X-Men style storytelling (huge cast, inherently socio-political, various spheres of influence and philosophy) than his FF or Avengers.

Attached: hackman logos.jpg (1200x1844, 501K)

I enjoyed his Avengers, FF, SHIELD, East of West comics so I'm optimist about this

Why do people call him a hack?

He has a tendency to be 'deep' for deepness' sake, and it has a tendency to baffle my mind.

KEK! This is great

Because this is Yea Forums and we call hack everybody without any reason.

Besides that, is true that he flopped the finale of Avengers. FF, and the Maker thing from the Ultimate Universe.

Which I don't mind, I take a great build up and development over the bleak thing that everybody puts out these days

The worst thing about Hickman's comics is that there are several not-good comics you have to read in order to enjoy them to their fullest extent due to 'deepest lore' levels of storytelling he tries to reach

literal Yea Forums criticisms:
>he ripped of original secret wars
>too many obscure characters and you have to read too much to learn more about them
holy fuck this board...

Secret Wars has some shitty stuff in it, but over all it was one of Marvel's best events. A ton of really cool side books were in it too

Who knows. If he does two books then only one of them will actially be important. The entirety of the main Avengers book was pointless to Hickmans run on Avengers. The whole buildup to SECRET WARS was the illuminati and Doom doing the important shit by stopping the incursions in New Avengers while the main Avengers dealt with the side threats. You could not have read the main Avengers at all and missed nothing. All the important characters in Secret Wars dont even show up in the main Avengers title. Black Panther, the Future Foundation, Dr. Strange, the Cabal, Doom all New Avengers.

ding ding

Attached: hackman writing.jpg (479x750, 166K)

>Implying The Council of Dooms isn't apex writing

Ok, I know a lot of people have been talking about that "Doom is Omnipotent" thing. But is that true?

>I know a lot of people have been talking about that "Doom is Omnipotent"
That's just one guy.

The Council of Dooms was all of one issue. It was a good issue though.

Oh, ok.
But did Doom have moments where he got omnipotence?

if you know you know

Attached: hackman ending.jpg (1364x1151, 215K)

I wish they would do more with Battleworld, a video game or something. It's such a silly comic book-y idea I don't want it to die.

I mean the Thors are cops, that's fucking great.

The whole of Secret Wars and some What if

I'll never forget the issue of Secret Wars or New Avengers or whatever the fuck where they revealed Doom's plan and Molecule Man's role in the scheme.

I've got a college education and I've been reading comics for three decades. It was the first time in my life where I had no fucking clue what happened or what was going on. To this day, I have no idea what the fuck Hickman was trying to say.

"Doom steals power from some cosmic being, but is then beaten and depowered by a combination of hubris and Reed Richard's trickery" is a pretty common Doom plot. The most famous instances are the original Secret Wars and Hickman's Secret Wars. The "doom becomes omnipotent is the PeAk oF WrItInG" thing is just one shitposter from reddit with some autistic hatred against Doom, but Doom has gained omnipotence in a number of stories.

Is Doom getting omnipotence a good thing or a bad thing? Sorry for asking these questions but I'm not familiar with Marvel outside of X-Men related things.

>is a megalomaniacal supervillain getting omnipotence a good thing or bad thing
Generally speaking, it's a bad thing. He tends to use it to "make the world/universe a better place," but Doom's definition of "better" is usually a bad time for anyone that isn't down for worshipping Doom.

>I tried to be Morrison but at the end not even I could understand what was going on

It wasn't really that complicated. Doom just explained it in a somewhat obtuse way:

Doom finds out that The Beyonders plan on blowing up the multiverse by using the Molecule Man in every universe as a time bomb, destroying all universes at the same time. As a result, the multiverse couldn't regrow (all it really takes is one universe to remake the multiverse since any instance of timetravel in the MU creates a branching timeline). Doom's initial plan is to kill the Molecule Man in each universe to stop that from happening, but that's taking too long. Then he starts recruiting agents (the black swans) to help him kill the molecule men, but since the multiverse is infinite, that too isn't feasible. Realising that the multiverse being infinite means it's virtually impossible to kill all the molecule men to stop The Beyonders, Doom realises he needs to downsize the multiverse into a manageable size.

Doom kicks off the Incursions to wipe out most of the multiverse since the only ones that would survive the incursions were universes that lost their Earth (thus losing their Molecule Man) or the Last Earth Standing, which would be a "survival of the fittest" deal where only the "best" Earth survives in the end. Meanwhile, to stop the beyonders themselves, Doom starts kidnapping Molecule Men instead of killing them, creating a super Molecule Man Bomb to use against the beyonders. He does, but he miscalculated and the bomb partially goes off in the multiverse (instead of fully outside of it, where The Beyonders live). It manages to kill The Beyonders, but in the process, it also blows up all the surviving universes that didn't have Earths (a few hundred thousand universes). In the end, only a few dozen universes were left, all of which were destroyed by the incursions.

With the multiverse gone, Doom (using the powers of the beyonders he stole) salvaged what little he could. Just enough to make Battleworld, which he ruled as God Doom, the Emperor of Everything.

tl;dr
Doom goes "The Beyonders can't destroy the multiverse IF I DO IT FIRST."

East of West has been phenomenal and proves Hickman can do character driven work. Manhattan projects and FF/F4 are also great.
I think where Avengers went wrong was the monumentally large cast preventing him from telling a cohesive narrative, the editorial interference (namely Infinity), and this third reason ties back to the first one, lack of space. 20 pages is not enough if you have over 20 main characters and five different plots going at once. The run picked up steam when Time Runs Out was happening. He's written some bad books but for the most part his catalog is solid

No one bringing up possibly his best book ever? Hickman can write well and The Black Monday Murders shows it

Attached: black_monday_murders_1_hickman_coker_image_comics_03-628x980.jpg (628x980, 218K)

Top 5 Hickman books:
East of West
FF/F4
Nightly News
Black Monday Murders
Manhattan Projects

Also recommended is Pax Romana but that one is an acquired taste

I storytimed the first issue when it came out and nobody read it. Sleeper hit

Is that the class graph from Final Fantasy X

a lot of people I know only read Hickman indie stuff in trade cause he has a bad habit of delays with his indie stuff