Star vs FoE

What went wrong?

Attached: 1556035303402.png (1275x716, 187K)

Nothing.
Everything went right.
You can go on with your life.

Nothing nigger,the ending was great. Better move out with your life and stop all this autism.

They should have done the good thing.
But instead they did the bad thing.

Attached: 1488846582228.jpg (500x417, 33K)

no

Attached: 1554062330890.jpg (1280x720, 322K)

They tried to evolve a story about simply punching badguys into one about overcoming racial tensions.

It worked well to begin with (Star starting to question the status quo of Mewni society, befriending Bufffrog etc.), but they kinda fumbled the landing by trying to to paint monsters entirely as victims (similar to marginalized minorities on earth), when the early seasons established them both capable and willing to threaten Mewni society as a whole.

As a result the finale is a jumbbled mess with the whole idea of destroying magic thrown in at the last second to give some sort of finale.

"It is writen, only Star can defeat magic"

"At last, you have the vision to find my magic source! Now you will see the unicorns that prevent your approach to Mina. Go with many blessings!"

Attached: star written.png (764x476, 19K)

Everything was fine because Starco happened in the end. That's all that matters. I'd genocide a thousand creatures before I let this ship die.

the finale completely dropped the racist shit though, suddenly magic was the only threat even though most mewmans and most monsters don't use any magic at all
I wonder how monsters will defend themselves against real guns now

Like I said, it's a mess.
My guess is they couldn't come up with anything more satisfying for one reason or another (not enough running time, disagreement behind the scenes etc.).

Same goes for the merger; I figure it was the only way for them to have Star and Marco end up together without either being completely cut off from their home, despite the mountain of complications and potential conflict.

>MONSTER DINDU NUFFIN
>GIB EARTH TO THEM

Star/Marco isn't even a good couple to begin with.

Star could have just left the magic alone. That's probably not grand enough though.

the ending kind of implies that fans cared about nothing but starco
I would have dropped this shit a long time ago if I did, they spent most of the show dating other characters, how the fuck is that enjoybable

Shippers gonna ship.

I personally enjoyed them slowly coming to terms with their feelings for each other; but I generally enjoy a slow burn.
Your mileage might vary.

>That's probably not grand enough though.
I figure that's probably it.

1. Tonal dissonance
The show repeatedly has Star and her friends do terrible things to innocent people (Doopdoop) and it is played for laughs. In a show where a central topic is the rights and dignity of all peoples, having background characters be repeatedly brutalized for Ren and Stimpy-esque gags undermines the dramatic conceit. Either Star Vs. should have been a "weird and wild" romp where magical girls cock their wands as if they were guns and blow monsters sky high while cracking jokes or it should have been a dramatic adventure story with elements of sitcom and character based comedy like Avatar the Last Airbender, not both.

2. A lack of linear progression
Toffee is a better villain than Mina (hell, Meteora was a better villain than Mina), and the creators understand this. This is why Toffee is not featured in the silly, girlish opening - he wouldn't fit in amongst Ludo and company rushing Star and it would undermine the threat his character poses. Meanwhile, Mina is shown in the opening and ends the series by making a fart joke. You don't go from a Big Bad too spooky to feature in the opening voiced by a guy who played a serial murderer to a goofy Sailor Moon parody voiced by the Cat from the Depression Horse Show.

3. Not thinking through the worldbuilding properly
The show has amazing lore, but does not think through its own logic. The show, for example, builds up the idea that creatures such as Lekmet deserve funerals and that spells have families within the wand, and then proceeds to kill them off without much attention. The show establishes that Marco is a thirty something year old man in the Neverzone but then does not clarify how this does not make his relationship with Star pedophilic.

1/2

Attached: 1554538921218.jpg (500x563, 39K)

Season 4 was a trainwreck

2/2

4. Openly showing contempt for the audience
The show lampshades objections and expectations from the fans.
>Star pointing out that the definition of monster doesn't make sense....just because.....

>"Yep, that's the bad boy who broke my arm....I'm sure [Toffee] had a good reason for doing what he did."
>"You were making that stupid leaf hat!"
>essentially mocking fans that wanted a deeper explanation to Toffee's motivations

>fourth wall jokes

5. Pony Head

Star Vs. had a lot of great ideas that I loved. It was clear that there were consistent themes and ideas being developed (St. Olgas / Willoughby and the fear of identity loss). There were obvious callbacks to mythology (ex. the Fisher King). However it would have benefited from a more serious tone, more sitcom or character driven comedy rather than cartoony gags, and very structured writing.

also I wanted past Moon / Toffee friendship to be a thing but that is 100% my subjective bias

Attached: Star.vs..the.Forces.of.Evil.600.2306510.jpg (600x487, 50K)

When you think about it, Svtfoe and Game of Thrones are one and the same.
They're both about war and political bullshit with magic thrown it it, and it ended on a contested finale with blonde royalty committing genocide.

Attached: 1556014358359.jpg (736x1021, 170K)

I didn't think it's mockery or contempt from the writers on explaining Toffee's origins.
The episode featuring it was full of "Everything happened because Glossaryck", in addition of how Toffee was... petty and didn't support a good cause from the goodness in his heart.
It's just a joke and built on closing whatever door they opened when they introduced him, so they could put him to rest for good.

B-b-but muh ligger dick!

>ow this does not make his relationship with Star pedophilic.
what and odd and stupid point to add, totally undermining the rest of the post

Season 4 only had 7 episodes. The rest was some forgettable side character goodbye tour.

Great posts.
>The show establishes that Marco is a thirty something year old man in the Neverzone but then does not clarify how this does not make his relationship with Star pedophilic.
I heard that there was a podcast or something where it was explained that his memories began fading or being scrambled, like trying to remember a dream. He seemed to remember it well enough the next time it was brought up though.
>5. Pony Head
Couldn't agree more. She was canonically shown to be abusive towards her family. How could Star stay friends with her after that, or at the very least NOT convince her she's a horrible person who needs to change?

> Marco didn't get the skater chick
> Star didn't get the demon dick
Come on, tell us the real reason you're angry

you can go full "omg I give karma I am important" on your local subreddit, bootlicker.

t. Thanos

No season 5 of Star and Marco doing cute things as a couple in their new home

I thought the same, monsters can use magic but most of them can't hold riffles and get inside human tanks.

>Go with many blelbinems
fixed

Painting the monsters entirely isn't even the worst thing they did in terms of the racial shit. Like or not for real life political reasons, in terms of the fictional cartoon that was POTENTIALLY salvagable had they not just.... casually slapped Glossyrack, and the HMC with the villain label, stomping on even that. Especially the HMC which has been consistently more of the reasonable characters in the entire show, and had even helped the so-called good guys. Meteora wouldn't have had a single fucking clue who she was for example without that guilt.

They needed to hammer in the responsibility of the queens for their own bullshit, especially when almost everything except the suffering of the HMC themselves, which is the fault of Glossaryack, actually ties directly and consistently to the Mewni queen's bullshit. Hell literally every single villain that isn't Toffee was directly the fault of their actions. It's ridiculous. Either stick to the monsters as memes you need to blast or be actually respectful if you're going the dindu route and be clear on who is responsible(and therefore who actually need to make amends) for their woes. Not cheap, petty lipservice that even Barney wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

6. None of the things that the characters did mattered
>Star spends most of season 4 trying to help solidify Eclipsa's place on the throne
>whoops magic is gone Mewni is fused with American democracy so I guess there's no need for a queen and it doesn't matter anymore!
>Star spends most of season 1 and 2 learning how to use the book and wand
>turns out she doesn't need the wand and she can just give it to Eclipsa and still use her powers in essentially the same way I guess okay

It's a joke, but let's be real, it clearly was lampooning how fans overhyped his character and then Nefcy and co. didn't go into detail the majority of people wanted or expected. We were promised Magneto, we got Bender from the Breakfast Club except less charming.

I don't know about you, but I consider a children's show not clarifying that the main character's love interest isn't a 30-40 something year old man in a children's body to be a tiny bit of an issue.

>like a dream
That's still weird to me. Just because you don't remember things doesn't mean that they're not affecting you.

>Pony Head is a bad person
I wouldn't even care if Star had a bad egg as a friend if they were at least interesting.

I don't ship any of the children characters.

>two people have a polite conversation
>mad because he has nothing to contribute

>reasonable
Rhombulus was a genuinely nice guy! I can't believe they just murdered him!

Attached: 1555865205674.jpg (540x543, 36K)

Starco is a basic bitch ship. Neck yourself, homo.

Well, the plot was never relevant. The show was always about character development. You were watching the wrong show. Simple as that

I haven't watched since I saw eclipsa fly off with the wand and find her monster bf.
Is she the actual big bad, or did they actually go the way of making her a good guy? If so, meh.

She got dindu nuffin'd

>thinks that these things are uncorrelated
I was really impressed by Star's character in season 4 because it appeared she was finally learning to take responsibility and voluntarily standing up to her duties - a sharp contrast to her situation before where she complained about doing minor things like playing along for Song Day.

....and then the plot completely backtracks because everything that Star worked for is oblierated at the end, and she begins to live life as an ordinary girl on Earth-Mewni as opposed to taking a greater leadership role (I honestly thought that Eclipsa was going to realize she can't hack the job and voluntarily relinquish to Star).

You can't say, "uh but it isn't about plot" when the mechanization of the plot actively undermine the value of the character's development. You can't rescue your father from the underworld if you don't go to the underworld. Plot and character are coupled.

They went to Mewni. Literally the exact point the show went to shit is when it stopped trying to be a fish out of water story.

see? you are only there to do your bootlicking routine and contribute to nothing, but you have to understand you'll never get karma points there.

Obviously Star vs had tons of character development without going too deep into plot. Did you even watch the show?

>tons of character development
dude, have YOU watched it? nothing developped, Star in the 3 episode finale is not even the star for the rest of the season. Marco learned nothing from anything either, that shit is baffling of amateurism.

I watched it because I enjoyed it. But I have no idea why you kept watching if it's so terrible

oh now I should just "not have watched it" by going back in the past and refusing to watch episode I didn't know about. Makes perfect sense, Mr "I watched it better than you, OBEY ME" retard.

> the show is so terrible but I have to watch it so I have a reason to complain all the time

Attached: clockworkorange.jpg (780x508, 116K)

how come they never adressed marco's theory on the first mewmans being humans again?

>nononon shut up you can't criticize what you didn't watch
>HAHA YOU WATCHED IT YOU CAN'T CRITIZE BECAUSE IT MEANS YOU LIKED IT
you right now. Literally a fanatic.

CONTUGGED.

Attached: Sabrina+Cotugno+46th+Annual+Annie+Awards+PAnNAnBRGafl.jpg (419x600, 80K)

cotugno blackmailed nefcy with her cuckquean video and destroyed the show for the last 2 seasons.

Attached: 1557331012570.png (777x433, 214K)

That little dude was the best side character of season 4

The HMC becoming villains could have been done much better.

Maybe at first they're willing to give Eclipsa a chance at being queen, with Omnitraxus being the most in favor and Heckapoo being the least. Then Mina attacks in her giant armor, and Eclipsa is forced to use the No Name Spell to stop her. Seeing the damage the spell causes sends her citizens into panic, and the HMC immediately act to remove her while Star tries to stop them.

Another way could have been that they, as Gloss' kids, are naturally tied to the realm of magic. The corruption of the realm begins to affect them, turning them evil and violent like the corrupted unicorns. They cause so much damage and are such a threat - near-unbreakable crystals, dimension hopping, and space-time manipulation will do that - that Star decides to destroy the magic realm to stop them.
With the magic destroyed, the HMC come to there senses in their final moments, and share one last hug as they fade away (Reynaldo gets to join in too. Maybe Glossaryk as well).

Attached: 1553615463756.jpg (2421x2600, 661K)

no

Why the fuck we can poop a better sounding final in less than an femtosecond but this bitches couldn't might as they tried.

Oknso who was it? Tiny waifu mail slut?

Because modern cartoon writers are literally less talented than random anonymous faggots.

Not Yea Forums related but it's the same thing for Game of Thrones, there are dozens of not even necessarily good ideas that are still miles above what we got. Do people not give a fuck about ending things? Is it burn out? Why are there so many shows that just fucking sputter out.