Can he made relevant/popular again or is he just an outdated character?

Can he made relevant/popular again or is he just an outdated character?

Attached: look-up-in-the-sky-alex-ross-signed-limited-edition-giclee-520207-0-1430262718000.jpg (1200x705, 258K)

He’s a figure who stays the same in an ever growing cynical and echo chamber-like environment.

John Byrne fucked it for everyone.

He is the Hero's Hero. Even if you don't like superman himself, there will always be a need for a character like Superman. A ideal to strive towards. The promise that things can be better.

I really need to watch Routh's Superman again

I’m sick of your goddamn threads shitting on Superman

Cap 1 was a fine movie and precisely in the same style a Superman movie should be.

He'd be fine if they just pulled off one of his movies successfully. Shazam was also great in the same tone.

No one wants to know the man who stands for things we outgrow. He's too noble, and too blind. We're all older now, and we don't need someone to care about the innocence we left behind.

Don't touch that dial, it's just that... goodness is out of style.

Explain further

Nah.

And yet Captain America is one of the most popular superheroes right now.

They were doing a great job with him with Rebirth, then Bendis tanked the character. He lost a lot of readers.

So what you're saying is that Superman is the unsung hero we need in today's bitter and complacent world?

John's an idiot and tried to "fix" Superman by making him less weird/more "American"/more "logical." The core of why Clark works is the simplicity. He's a weird dude with a typical temperament and strong morals who has *the best* powers. That he will win is a forgone conclusion, there's no need to explain anything further, the fun is in how he does it and the character study. John's manchild mind saw this as flimsy writing and tried to make him more relatable and give him more drama, which put us on the path we're on now where a ton of Superman writers think that saying "Oh no, THIS guy is even STRONGER than Clark" or typical cape drama makes for a good Superman story.

It doesn't. Clark is a strange dude with a strange life who does strange things and lives with normal friends half the time and the world's greatest heroes the other. These stupid melodramatoc, grim, gritty garbage stories get their start in John's autism, and it spread like a plague.

>stays the same
Not really.
There are plenty of homages at best sure, but saying Superman has been the same throughout the decades is laughable.

Cap has replaced him in the mainstream as the "selfless hero who will always strive to do right"

He ran away to lose his virginity. No, he's not.

I think All Star Superman did a lot to dispell that picture. People left and right use All Star as a Superman bible.

>Can he made relevant/popular again
he still is. I dont think he can ever be not relevant/popular. Or are you talking specifically about movies?

Because they removed the America from the Captain.

You can keep being as autistic as you want and keep spouting memes. It won't change the fact that people love him.

Why would you think we would talk about comics and cartoons on Yea Forums

I actually liked the Superman/Doomsday film...

Yeah, that created a different problem, as people started seeing that as if it's regular Superman instead of peak Superman.

The two intermingling is how we get Snyder's Superman.

Reminder that audiences were so unbelievably hyped for the Man of Steel trailers - portraying a hopeful, uplifting version of Superman - that it was set to outperform The Dark Fucking Knight. It was only when the movie itself came out and everyone saw the needlessly dark, idiotic hackjob Snyder made that Supes became a joke again. When the public thought they were getting classic Supes they were fucking ready for it.

>Force new director to read All Star Superman, Superman For all Seasons and watch Superman vs The Elite
Problem solved if you ask me that's more than enough to understand Superman on a surface level.

Attached: whatever happened to the man of tomorrow.jpg (410x750, 26K)

I feel if the want to make a superman reboot, the initial arc of Grant Morrison action comic run would make a good movie, it stablishes Clark and Luthor well, main villains are Brainiac and Metallo so people wouldn't complain all supes movies have Lex as the villain. And it has iconic moments like supes saving the train, the part when the civilians protect him from the military after he saved them from collateral damage and him learning to fly right before getting to Brainiac's base.

>Can he made relevant/popular again
Yes. He's freaking Superman.

>or is he just an outdated character?

Seeing how degenerate the world is turning, a little bit of outdated is what we need.

Right now, people want comfy superhero movies, not some edgy bullshit movies. Those belong to the 90s, with Blade, Spawn and the XMen. MOS and BvS would have been received better if they were released between 1998-2004.

Superman needs a movie featuring Lois as his wife, and having wacky adventures with Jon . That would change people's perception of Superman, making him more relatable to the general public, which is one of the main complains on the character.

I don't know what the fuck you watched, but they sure as hell didn't. The fact that he's not preaching at people with cheesy speeches (as much as I love them) doesn't mean they removed the America from the Captain.

His performance is really good, it's a shame that the movie is saddled with the 5 year absence - which created the absent father memes

Attached: Returns.gif (445x180, 880K)

Captain America outside of Chris Evans and outside the MCU is not that popular. And sadly, even within the MCU, a drunken asshole is far more popular. Even Spider Twink, at least as far as being Spider Man, is sadly more popular and more well known than Cap.

In fifty years, people will still recognize the S shield around the globe, irrespective of the state of WB and DC comics. In 2069, Cap's shield will likely be confused for some sort of American propaganda symbol or some such.