Why was comic art so different let's say 20-30 years ago?

Why was comic art so different let's say 20-30 years ago?

Attached: Marvel comic.jpg (499x759, 142K)

House-Style?

Cruder coloring techniques and no photoshop required artists to create shade and lighting through linework.

Like why was something like this not drawn back then?

Attached: Lizard and Spidey.jpg (1280x1968, 713K)

I love old school comic art.

What this guy said,

Plus also the printing technology for fine lines themselves was limited, leading to less fine lines.

For one thing, because of printing methods you had a limited color palette and it was difficult to render fine details. Additionally, since this stuff was done on a strict deadline and we didn't have digital art methods to make production faster, it was beneficial to keep to a workman-like style as well.

For another, they were much more strict about keeping to a consistent style across all books and merchandise; heavier stylization was discouraged.
You can thank people like Walt Simonson, John Byrne, Steve Bisette, George Perez, Frank Miller, Dave McKean, Mike Mignola, and the Image boys for slowly pushing the boundaries of stylization and making the artist much more important as a selling point, so having the artist's individual style be recognizable became a GOOD thing.

Late 90's and early 00's art and writing styles also changed a lot, favoring much larger panels with less dialogue, as opposed to before where art was mostly just there to portray the story, and the art and words had a lot of disconnect. Art was now really important to both the telling of the story and the selling of it, so it had to be bigger and speak for itself more than the stiffer illustrations of earlier years.

Attached: The Saga of Swamp Thing V1982 #34 - Rite of Spring (1985_3) - Page 19.jpg (1823x1280, 635K)

Me too! >3

The guy in the green car just cannot believe his eyes.

It had Soul back then.

Attached: ac3087c2819a497ffc2934c8853e21b7.jpg (1024x1549, 478K)

Kirby sure loved drawing some circles.

Attached: jhgcf.jpg (1267x1600, 516K)

Why was anything different 20-30 years ago? Shit changes.

this, it was the peak of Marvel soul

Digital coloring and worse artists

>For another, they were much more strict about keeping to a consistent style across all books and merchandise; heavier stylization was discouraged.
>You can thank people like Walt Simonson, John Byrne, Steve Bisette, George Perez, Frank Miller, Dave McKean, Mike Mignola, and the Image boys for slowly pushing the boundaries of stylization and making the artist much more important as a selling point, so having the artist's individual style be recognizable became a GOOD thing.
Perfectly said. Fuck house style.

20-30 years ago not everyone had a computer and most shit was still analog. The comic in your picture is probably closer to 40 years old, looks like late 70s or early 80s I'd guess, just eyeballing it.

Honestly the old comic art looks better to me. The computer stuff is cheaper so I understand why they switched to it, but I like the older style better.

Digital colouring. Better paper and printing techniques.

I don't think you understood the tone of the post you replied to. Marvel was at their best in the 60s and 70s, DC was at their best in the 70s and 80s.
This is indisputable fact.

>Marvel was at their best in the 60s and 70s
Nah, they were at their best in the 80’s

I think your idea of back then is a little further back than what you said.

Attached: RCO004.jpg (1000x1533, 343K)