Why haven't you moved to LA to become an animator, user?

Why haven't you moved to LA to become an animator, user?

Attached: 1522276656314.png (457x457, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

animationguild.org/about-the-guild/jobs-post-archive/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not made of money.

my ankle bracelet kinda puts a crimp in that plan

I gave up on that dream well into my childhood. Looking back on it, and learning more of the matter, both regarding the industry, its culture, work ethics and standards, etc. I was right to. I accept my position as a lowly nobody consumer-hobbyist, and will continue to do so until the end of my days without complaint whilst looking on at those raging against this state of affairs in mild confusion. These things cannot change; most of us will never, ever do anything. I accept this.

Star should have just frozen time and defeated Mina like that

Attached: A65E6592-67C8-4632-930E-0DA86B7D844C.png (1920x1080, 3.2M)

I don't want to animate. I can make comics from right here.

I haven't been able to focus on anything and have had obsessive intrusive thoughts about suicide, death, and dying for 5 years and psych service just kicked me out of college and gave me no actual treatments so I'm afraid to get any help from anyone and use all my willpower to do day-to-day functions while constantly being reminded I'm a failure by family. I'd never make it doing something that intensive and remaining as I am mentally, I'd absolutely kill myself doing that much work and getting shat on for it.

Los Angeles is awful, California is awful, and you'd have to work with awful people who want to shoehorn politics into their cartoons with nothing else in mind.

I'm not American, it's impossible to immigrate unless you have literally world-class talent, and it's virtually impossible to get that in this country ever since traditional 2D animation collapsed (fuck CalArts).

Those reasons good enough for you OP?

Star should have done ANYTHING ELSE besides what she did. She could have done absolutely anything else.

Even if you manage to actually become an animator, the chances of you getting your own show is dismal.

You never go to LA, LA chooses you to go. All those poor souls who move looking to get discovered only to end up a waiter had it all wrong.

i wanna write music for shows not animate them

I think being an Animator SUCKS!

Attached: 1557374628952.jpg (1280x720, 197K)

Going by today's standard, you'd be unironically perfect for the job.

>ever living in California
I would rather cut off my own testicles and feed them to my cats than move to that hellscape.

I live an hour away, and I'm not planning on becoming an animator. Plus, I'm not a fan of the city.

I'll just work on my comic on my own time then half-heartedly hope for a cartoon adaption if the right person sees it.

Don’t need to. I lived here all my life.

user I'm trying to move out of California. Too many outsiders moving in and ruining it for the rest of us.

Attached: 1537128192883.png (105x213, 50K)

I'll live in New Jersey!

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-19-21-39-41(1).png (1386x1080, 1.02M)

Even when there's a non-Star Vs thread, these Starfags just had to hiijack this thread, didn't they?

I thought you commiefornians were moving outwards into other nearby states and ruining them for the locals.

I'm too redpilled, I would hate every second of life there.

I already live there and the only people who bother to make themselves present is motherfucking CalArts.

That's a misconception. Far as I can tell, it's rich people, foreigners, hipsters, and people hoping to make it in the talent industry moving into California. I wish we could adopt Australia's "fuck off we're full" mentality and deport everyone in Los Angeles and north Orange County. Would get rid of a lot of trash.

Why would I want to draw when CG animation is the future?

Bullshit, I live in Nevada, and you lot keep coming here and changing our laws to the point where the state will become East California.

CG animation still needs designers who can draw.

Well then. I guess we're both in the same hell.
>Not that user

You don't have to move to California, Danger and Egg was made in Minnesota.

Yeah, good luck with that.

How do the commiefornians change things? Can't you locals fight back against them?

I have no drive to learn anything on my own. I’m going to a two month long workshop in Canada as a last-ditch effort to learn how to draw specifically for animation. I’m gonna be drawing 6 hours a day for 60 days. If I don’t improve enough to be able to learn on my own after this class, then I’m giving up on my dream of doing anything artistic.

Attached: AE60298C-E92C-422D-97C9-41B6EB101447.jpg (400x400, 92K)

But I did. It was super fucking toxic and everyone I met in the industry was super fucking depressed or on a downward spiral. It was that way across the board. Writers, actors, even technicians. Even semi famous people, all types of content creators, even the kids who works at the JPL. I lasted almost 2 years before my soul turned grey and I started it get super sick without end and retreated back to safety.
Fuck Los Angles.

Attached: C386449C-C87E-480A-B33A-49645F86D925.jpg (549x593, 131K)

I already live like 50 minutes out of LA, but I'm not interested in animation in the slightest.

I almost did. I had a job offer at Nickelodeon but I passed on it because the pay wasn't enough for me to relocate to North Hollywood and I'm a paranoid freak about the idea of getting Craigslist roommates.

Occasionally I regret it, but not as often as you would think.

Attached: 1553135791857.jpg (626x958, 54K)

Tell industry stories

Gotta get further from California than Las Vegas, they just waltz right in

Shut the fuck up human locust

t. Oregonian

I know the Castlevania animators are in Texas
I wouldnt make a career in RT but I guess it would be good for a start

Because New York is superior. Sure, you might not have union rates, but there's actual diversity in terms of people you'll meet and work you'll do. You'll find a lot of indie, commercial, experimental, CG shows, and a few mainstream work. Plus, you can meet someone who is a fucking freakazoid weirdo liberal and then walk 20 minutes to a bar and meet a bunch of hyper conservatives who love Trump.

Also we have water and four seasons, so that's pretty cool.

Attached: 16.jpg (2448x3264, 2.43M)

another Californian here, and I agree with you. I see a trend here with a lot of people who are moving out, finding it too expensive to live in California, so they go towards the midwest. Also they people I knew who moved out, or talked about moving out to Colorado and Texas weren't exactly the cream of the crop. I have little trouble seeing these zoomers whining about the government not supporting the needy (AKA them).

Is Washington state a good place to move to?

Attached: Washington_State.png (299x217, 111K)

Don’t give up user. It took me 20 years to be invited to the US. And I didn’t even dreamed on moving, was just minding my own bussiness

Two planes were not enough.

I lived in New York all of my life and that city fucking sucks ass. Fuck Jew York and its fucking smelly fetid existence.

Well, it's a good city if you're not black or a spic.

I've actually been trying for a year or more to get a job as a storyboard revisionist out in Cali. I have alot going for me, I can draw, I know how to act, and I have someone I know in the industry (which helps more than anything else) but I'm just so god damn lazy! I need to do some storyboard stuff to fill out my portfolio a little bit and I just can't find the energy to do it. I've recently done a test for a studio out there and have been hounding them every week, for about 2 months now, asking for any sort of news or update about the status of my test. Still nothing. I was really excited about it until I was recently told by my friend that they haven't even looked at the tests yet. That was pretty deflating, and after that I lost alot of my motivation to finish the board that I've been doing for my portfolio.

Attached: 1553950510083.jpg (587x472, 34K)

I'm mixed and went to a decent high school, got a job. I'm saying it's shit because it's literally a smelly, crowded, expensive, place, niggers spics, actual jews, and criminal morons notwithstanding.

Not really.

That shit is pretty normal. They don’t respect you guys. Just keep throwing darts until something sticks.

Wow you really convinced me by telling me about lower pay rate and higher cost of living and rent.

Because I would make more money if I moved to Japan to become an animator.

Who told you that lie?

When I create a decent enough portfolio, considering either moving to Cali or Leaf land when I make enough of a name for myself

Attached: blizzaria.png (598x532, 106K)

If by "invited" you mean through work, that's kind of hard when there are basically no jobs in this country other than low-tier services (and even then those are hard to get).

Enjoy living in your flyover state with low rent, low pay, and sometimes, no jobs at all and nothing to do.

I hear it's glorious if you just spend all your life in your parent's spare room.

It's not a lie but the truth because the demand is higher.

Yeah, that's what I keep being told. I'm sure if I keep it up, it's only a matter of time before I land a job, I've just gotta get myself outta this funk that I've found myself in.

You to?

I already live in LA

I can ruin my life without doing all that shit thank you very much

>liberals are fucking freakazoid weirdos >conservatives are hyper
I guess we know which one you are.

>When you're so autistic, you see two insults and still get offended by one

Why would the cream of the crop ever move from where they are if they're doing well, idiot?

Because I'm in Washington not being an animator in spite of my degree... No time to do it seriously part time because my part time job is having me work 40+ hours a week because my office is woefully understaffed.

>hyper is an insult
Stop lying to yourself.

Yep, he's autistic, alright.

Everyone contains about how Californian cities smell of piss, which they do. It however doesn't compare to how NYC smells like actual warm runny shit.

Most cities in America smell bad. It's what happens when you destroy most of your nature.

>it's only a matter of time before I land a job
Bro, I'm sorry to break it to you, but real life isn't that nice. You aren't owed an opportunity. The only people who make it are the ones that take advantage of extraordinary circumstances and go out of their way to make something happen instead of hoping someone will grant them a chance someday.

Attached: 1488880028240.png (799x808, 398K)

>move to LA
>housemate is an ex con that regularly harvests organs from skidrow

Attached: 1509857300285.gif (260x195, 653K)

Its called a litote user

Attached: over your head.jpg (424x335, 17K)

1. I missed the opportunities to become an animator back in college. I don’t know any good art school there is besides art institute or calarts, I live in the middle of California in the San Joaquin county where freakin Stockton is. 2. I lack the patience to sit there and draw frame after frame of drawings to animate them. Besides no one uses paper anymore. Studios have became reliant on computers and cgi. Besides everything is outsourced for animation i’d be lucky enough to get a storyboard job more than that. And Numero 3. I gave up back in 2016 to reach my goal as an animator. The payment is too low, I lack good or professional writing skills, some of your ideas may come fruition and never see the light of day. The big companies are just a bunch of assholes who don’t even recognize talent, only to know of what’s in people’s wallets. You can’t even survive anywhere else for salvation, not a animation on the internet can save you. You’re better of dead than make something worth the time. I’m a socially awkward loser who’s has an awful job as street cleaner, I live with my parents, i’m Almost 30 yet people say I look 18. I’ll possibly just try to go back to comics like I did in high school,and just live a simple life without even trying to kill myself over my old dream. Wanna be an animator, well on your first day inside of a smile and handshake they’ll just say to you welcome to hell bitch!

Honest question here, I'd like to visit some places to learn about animation Where should I go first? I think since I'm latinamerican I might go to Chile first, because it's near to my country and In terms of animation Chile is the less shitty one.

Attached: 87b77de7984ecfa0861dcc7e266332b3061ba0fb0dcab25fbf21c15a2fa07510.png (683x705, 380K)

I did. It's haaard.

Cut em some slack. Their show just ended. They'll all be dead in a week.

I've been in L.A. in and out of the industry for about 4 or 5 years. I hate approximately 50% of the people I've met here.

Fortunately, I hated a lot of the people I worked with in retail and at my call-center job, so for me this is more of a lateral move.

Why did you hate most of the people you met there? Retail and call-center I can get but kinda interested to hear the reasons for the industry one.

I lived in Fort Lauderdale and visited Miami a decent number of times. Neither of them smelled as bad as L.A.

New Orleans is pretty stinky though.

>tfw decent artist and already depressed beyond feeling

Should I make the move, Yea Forums?

Attached: 1483693828488.gif (250x182, 1.97M)

Mexico is having their own animation boom at the moment with CartoonNetwork, if you're interested in network jobs.

>Mexico

Attached: huc1.gif (500x375, 789K)

I miss when being a consumer-hobbiest was a niche market motivated by story instead of profit.

Well, let's count the different ways people here have disappointed/annoyed me.

There was the con-man roommate who never paid rent and couldn't hold a job for more than 2 weeks, and screwed over both of my other roommates in different ways. Then, after 2 years (3 for my other roommates) we finally got sick of his crap and wouldn't let him come with us when we moved again, so he moved in with a friend of ours and soured that relationship.

Then there was the guy who actually helped me get my first animation job, and who we all hung out with for a couple of years, until his awful harpy of a girlfriend/wife ate up more and more of his time, and then when we moved away, our terrible old roommate moved in with them, and, I am 100% sure fed them a pack of lies about how we were really the bad guys in that situation (he was a gullible idiot) until he quietly cut us all off on facebook and dropped all contact. The last straw was when he got mad at the one roommate he was still in contact with, and cut him off (this in spite of said roommate having lent him money twice to cover rent).

There was the studio owner on said first job, who screwed over one of my roommates (and a whole lot of other people) by trying to keep the studio running well past the point where he'd run out of money, by... just not paying people (he also screwed me over by misreporting my tax info, which led to the IRS gunning for the 2,000 bucks I got refunded "in error". Fortunately I stuck to my guns and said I wasn't paying jack, since I hadn't lied, my employer had, and eventually the IRS relented. Never did get the $500 I was supposed to get on my state refund, though.)

Then there were the old Hollywood hacks who hired me to do some minor acting, but were kinda dirty old men around the female talent (nothing prosecutable, but I just didn't like their attitude/behavior).

I'll follow up with more.

I'd like to learn something about the medium, make friends who are into animation or related mediums. I do like to work on animations, but I would prefer to do it indepedently as a hobby, not as a full job.

Also What have mexico done in the matter of animation recently? Despise Villanos, obviously.

fuck the roommate story sounds familiar. I feel like we might know each other

Keep goin

Attached: neat.gif (400x403, 2.09M)

>mfw I grew up in south OC and I love it and can't detach myself from it even though they're building more and more apartments in Irvine, leading to even worse traffic

LA can stay but fuck Irvine for trying to turn this place into Silicon Valley 2.0

I'm going to Silicon Valley in August to table at a con. Anyone tell me what to expect there?

There was another "friend" (who I NEVER liked, because he was incredibly socially awkward and annoying and inconsiderate) who had been taken in by some industry friends who kept him from becoming a lonely shut-in and outcast. Shortly after he moved out, he made a post accusing one of them of being a right-wing extremist and the other of being a pedophile and date-rapist, and I suddenly felt very justified in my dislike.

Then there were the most cliche, self-pitying, Social Justice Warrior types who were incredibly awkward to be around, because you might say the wrong thing and offend them, and led to the dissolution of an artist group that had been meeting for years, possibly over a decade, because of how uncomfortable they made everyone. (These were the kind of people who would lecture you for eating at Chick-Fil-A).

Other than that there's just the regular trash who treat the streets like their personal race-track, the creepy homeless, and collection of idiots who are running Nickelodeon into the ground.

Being an animator is such a insect job, I know lot of people want to be next Genndy or something but most of them will work like a little insect on projects they have no voice on. Life is too short to work on other people's dreams. If you want to get bring your own ideas into life, becoming a comic creator or writer is way better, and there's actually money moving around so you actually have a change to do it for living.

Attached: 1513365235020.png (490x1015, 782K)

How do you go about that exactly?

Alot of that stuff is pretty much blind luck or being at the right time and place. There are parts of Hollywood that are looking at comics for shit to adapt. You could do some comics on the side and gain a following which could potentially lead to adaptions.

But lets be honest they won't be looking at ideas that would be expensive to make. Alot of the high fantasy, scifi and other stuff gets overlooked for more safe projects that are modern day, human casts, shit like that.

Working in the industry (both animation and comics) is just playing the LONG waiting game and stomaching alot of BS till you get a possible chance.

Can confirm because about two weeks ago, I went up to that shithole with some family. The smell of shit is very strong in Chinatown and near the tourist shops. The only place that wasn't unbearable was Central Park - mainly because there were trees there to cleanse the smell of chemical infused fecal matter out of the air. We only visited Manhattan, so I can only imagine what the other four buroughs smell like.

>collection of idiots who are running Nickelodeon into the ground.
any deets on this?

There are no animators in LA.

>writing for the sole purpose of having your story bastardized into a Hollywood film

Missing the point of indie comics

Attached: 1423.png (458x347, 81K)

That's why you have alot of failed screenplay writers trying to turn their stuff into comics. They saw it work for Millar and thought it would work for them.

>Get reamed up the ass firguratively and possibly literally by the Hollywood system
No thx

They can't greenlight a show to save their butts. Once they DO greenlight shows, they don't support them. They buried Rocko and Zim for a year and dumped them on Netflix. The old administration didn't support animation and just made a bunch of live-action garbage. The new administration tossed out anything that was in development with the old administration, regardless of whether it was good or not.

It's a dumpster fire, and everyone hates them.

I can doodle okay but I don't have a solid enough grasp on visual thinking and actually planning on what I'm going to draw beforehand to work in the artist field.
Hope to be a sound engineer/mixer someday though, and if I get to do it in TV animation and see episodes months before other people I'd be elated

I've been to several cities all over the continent and i've only found one that smelled "stinky" and that was because of actual fishmongers in there. The fuck is wrong with big cities in the US? do you have open sewers?

Lol there’s a Chick Fil A in Burbank now

New Orleans is an ancient rotting city sunk in riverbank mud. It was never going to smell good.

L.A. has no excuse.

>why haven't you moved to this literal shithole city in this shithole state to do a cuththoat job that pays minimum wage and has been mostly outsourced to canada and korea for the past 30+ years
gee wizz I don't got a clue.

Dude, Chick-Fil-As in L.A. are always crowded. Nobody cares except for a few hyper-liberal idiots.

Dear Californians,

Please keep to your god awful horrible state and your shitty oppressive laws. You are locusts. Parasites. Everything you touches goes to shit. Fuck off and keep out.

Signed,

Every other state except Maryland, New York, and Hawaii

Because I can't draw and LA is shit

i refuse to step foot in the state of California
t. Yankee from Muncie

Shoulda stuck it out a little longer. Lots of story artist work available right now thanks to the influx of shit being produced for streaming.
I did storyboards for live action for a few years to keep food on the table when I couldn’t get any animation work. Now that there are a bunch of productions going on I’ve been able to get animation work again.

Give me links. I need work.

If i moved to the US i would accept nothing but a big comfy plot of land in Nebraska, Idaho, Montana, etc where i can get up to hike and shoot guns and only work from my desk via internet. There's literally no point to living in America if you are not going to shoot guns like a maniac and enjoy the open space.

The barrier for entry is too high if you're coming from out of state. Unless you have friends or family that live there, moving to California as a student is almost impossible, as the wages required to even secure a below average to mediocre apartment are astronomically high, and at that point, if you do make that much money, why waste your time being an animator in a shitstain city like LA?

animationguild.org/about-the-guild/jobs-post-archive/
Hasn’t been updated lately but A bunch of these places are still looking or will be looking again soon, especially Disney TV

post more dana

California is pretty great if you live outside of LA.

Is it possible to get a job then move to LA? While possibly not letting them know you do not live there yet to avoid their not hiring you because of moving expenses?

No it isn't. The only parts of California that are bearable are those that fucking hate being in California.

becasue im a realist and chasing your ambitions isnt always the right decision

Attached: corinthianbathtub.png (700x1082, 733K)

I'm still a college student in the Netherlands, having to at least go on an internship before I even think about moving ANYWHERE to become an animator. Plus, Cali is fucking expensive m8, I'll probably start off in France or the UK before I go to the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Attached: 1540397035635s.jpg (250x187, 7K)

Post portfolio

Just move to South Korea where all the animation jobs are.

Nah, it's pretty great here.

Look at the way Dana Terrace mindlessly interpellates herself before the apparatus of production; no not even the apparatus of production, which would be a wacom tablet, but before some idealistic anachronism of hand-drawn animation she probably hasn't done in years if ever.

I only interpellate myself before the dominant ideological structure of Hollywood so that I may dismantle it.

Because "animator" is only one job in a slew of positions in the animation industry. For example, I'm a 3D modeler, you ignorant bastard.

Because Patreon + Eastern Germany is a much more viable path for Yea Forumsntent makers.

Fuck LA

That is whete you go to make your dreams die.

I'm too poor.
even if money wasn't an issue, I'm not skilled enough. yet.

>having to move physically in the time of the super information highway

Funny how during the dust bowl it was the place for the home removed to go to.

But the usage of that meme would indicate that you in fact think being an animator is great

You're gonna get out of it man, just keep searching. The biz is hard, but once inside and it's goes like a snowball down a white hill.

because you don't animated there

I wish they can adventure outside of California.

Or atleast, out of the expensive places.

Attached: 636543707459675298-Mario-Westbrook.jpg (534x712, 71K)

I live in Africa and they find every reason they can to keep us here.

Can't get the 5 years work experience needed for an entry level job when there's no industry to get such experience.

>why don't you want to wade through literal shit and AIDS ridden needles on your way to work?

I'm too far-right. I'll go when they hire Sam back.

because I rather became a visdev artist

Who would want to work all day for little pay?
My time is worth more than what anyone could pay me.
I get the whole "I like wasting my life at my job" attitude most people seem to have since it literally keeps them alive, but what's the point in continuing living like that when you have to compromise everything about you?
I am sure that very few people ever thought to themselves
>I sure would like to spend all day animating between frames at a frantic pace to meet deadlines that are unrealistic and put in place to squeeze as much productivity aka money out of me as possible and leave me exhausted and out of time to actually live my life.
In 50 years or so, the 40 hour work week will appear to them as the 90 hour work week of the industrial revolution appears to us: a human rights violation in the making, and a loss of sight on what is important in life to chase fleeting comforts.
I will never move to LA or California as land costs are far beyond what I'd ever be willing to pay, and I will never work as a full time animator because I'd rather waste my time as I see fit rather than how my boss sees fit.

Because I have no artistic talent.
Also calarts is a fucking meme.
I'm fine with being a business major.

Sure there’s freelance work.
Mainly designer & storyboard.

Texan here, same shit. Austin is fucking LA-lite at this point including the immense homeless, drug, and feces problem. Fuck California and fuck Californians.

>LA
>a crime of scum and villainy

Also the Illustration industry is much more stable.

I reject the idea of anyone willingly going to live in calarts county

I wanted to be an animator as a kid but chose engineering as it would be more financially stable. Animation is something you practice as a hobby rather than go to school for.

Because I'm terrible at drawing and not willing to spend a few hundred hours getting better at it

Attached: youdick.png (800x600, 149K)