How would it have been recieved if they filed for divorce instead

how would it have been recieved if they filed for divorce instead

Attached: onemore1_1945.jpg (300x456, 51K)

Still a bad reaction. And arguably out of character, especially when both characters have actively taken steps to make their relationship work. But probably easier to swallow than the deal with Mephisto.

But at the same time it would go against the mandate of making Peter "young and relatable". So may not even be considered as a viable option.

honestly im wondering what the correct way would have been to handle this setup
the only other way would have been murdering MJ but Pete already has enough dead GF baggage

>But at the same time it would go against the mandate of making Peter "young and relatable"

I never understood Quesada's thing about that. Wouldn't the kids look up to the cool tough guy who has his shit together on a personal level?

>cool tough guy who has his shit together on a personal level
but spider-man never was like that

Because back then comic books were mostly read by kids 9-19, so they would identify with the dorky, young Peter. Nowadays, the 30 and 40 year-old audience want to imagine themselves as Peter having a hot, supermodel wife.

They should’ve just killed MJ if they really wanted him to be single

i was 9 when Peter was a married and looked like a Gymnast who dealt with better issues other than ''IM LATE FOR CLASS AGAIN D'OH'' and i had no problem relating with him, hell seeing Peter go from that anti social dweeb in highschool to a actually developed human being is one the great things about Spider-man in my opinion.

Attached: f84f33e133089e7130feb81f0490c1a6._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg (1280x1968, 985K)

Hopefully we will get an MCU adaptation

If you were 9 in the 90s, you were way too late to the party. Quesada was trying to recapture Spider-Man in 60s and 70s.

And I think you are confusing relating to with liking. A 9 year old should not relate to a married late-20s-early-30s guy. The prevalent idea is that Spider-Man became super popular in the 60s and 70s because kids saw themselves in him, as opposed to other characters, who were more ideals or aspirations, rather than reflections. You can like Batman when you are 12, but his trials and tribulations have nothing to do with yours.

The kids only look up to edgy shits like the Punisher, and Spider-Man has never been that in the first place. It's not about looking up, it's about the marketable status quo.

Just have MJ be the one dying and Pete has to give up the marriage to save her life.

>Nowadays, the 30 and 40 year-old audience want to imagine themselves as Peter having a hot, supermodel wife.
I find it funny how you typed that as if it's something to be proud of.

Attached: am.jpg (1200x800, 342K)

>objectifying women to be damsels in distresses for brave and powerful males to save
Big yike.

Oh, I am not. I think it is a sorry state of affairs superhero comic books are in.

Attached: screen-shot-2013-11-20-at-5-30-22-pm.png (584x362, 283K)

Unpopular but better than Peter making a deal with the fucking devil.

if it´s done by MJ
>Powerful, brave and a good show of female empowerment

I don´t even know what you two are trying to complain about this time

yes he was. Peter had really matured until one more day happened.
he was even a respected member of the avengers and stood his ground

Same. A divorce or even just a separation is a natural, organic development. The Devil buying your marriage is fucking stupid.

This. It's suck, sure but atleast it's not fucking retarded

Imagine being such a turbo-virgin that you base a Spiderman storyline on a Diamond Rio song.

>All those storylines where Peter is offered an opportunity from a villain, even really tempting ones, even when he's living in a shitty apartment and his friends and family think he's a dick or a flake because he's always saving people's lives and they don't know he's Spiderman, even when he doesn't have a dime except when he has to grovel to a boss that makes his life hell in and out of the costume, even when he gets punished for doing the right thing again and again, all he has to do is look the other way and he's on easy street the rest of his life, the only person who gets hurt is some guy who he doesn't know, that he'll never even meet, who deserves it, who won't even be that put out, and he always looked those villains in the eye from the cracked lens of his homemade costume and told them NO.

>That's the real lesson of Peter Parker, that even with all the shit he goes through, even when the cops are shooting at him, even when he has not a god damned thing in the world on his side, when his life is in shambles, it's still better than knowingly doing the wrong thing once. Not even the shittiest shit in Parker's life would be worse than that.

>This is why his villains fucking hate him. Peter was born with less, bullied, raised without parents, poor, alone, weak, rife with family tragedy, born with a superior intellect that others sneered at, he's the backstory of a super villain. But he spends everyday saving the lives of people who have to be better off than him, cuz he's at the bottom. And his villains know, they know that this guy is living proof that they could've been better, whatever excuse they come up with for why they're doing wrong, this fucker covered in fail has made good. Guys like Osborn make it their obsession to tempt him, test him, because they have to prove it's a lie, because it scares them that they have no one to take responsibility for their ills than themselves.

"He sells his soul to the devil." Fuck you

It would have been leagues less pants-on-head retarded
Peter deserves the hellscape Marvel has become for dealing with the devil.
And what has Peter had since then anyway?
He got mind-jacked and no one noticed
Spiderverse happened and Slott created the creepiest OC that absolutely HAD to fuck Peter all the time (her follow-up book was decent enough, but under Slott's pen she was disgusting), his former paramour becomes a crime boss because of the most contrived reason, he pretended to be Stark for a while, and an interdimensional kid keeps using his super-hero name
What good has happened to Peter since OMD?

Honestly, I feel a divorce would have been better. But Marvel want to use this story to de-age Spider-Man to be more younger

ANOTHER DAY ANOTHER DESTINY
THIS NEVER ENDING ROAD TO CALVARY
THESE MEN WHO SEEM TO KNOW MY CRIME WILL SURELY COME A SECOND TIME!

Quesada wanted Spidey to be the way he was when Big Fat Joe was Little Fat Joe: single and living with his decrepit aunt. Just divorcing them wouldn't accomplish that. Joe wanted an unmarried Spider-Man, not a divorced Spider-Man.

People would have hated it but the story would have been far easier to write. Just have MJ eventually divorce because of how Peter became more violent/unstable with his back in black period. The sad thing is that if they wanted a young and relatable Spiderman, they should have had Peter grow up and pass on the mantle long ago. Have his power go on the fritz and make him hulk out into a spider monster without regular treatments. Meanwhile, have someone else fill his shoes while Peter acts as a mentor/emergency backup. If they had done that, Marvel would have a legacy character worth a damn.

>The sad thing is that if they wanted a young and relatable Spiderman, they should have had Peter grow up and pass on the mantle long ago.

Look, they already tried that shit in the Clone Saga, and you know how poorly received the Clone Saga was. And the fans weren't happy about Miles replacing Peter in Ultimate, and Otto becoming the Superior Spider-Man, because in both cases it came at the expense of Peter's death. Note how they're both not as unpopular now that they're sharing the mantle with a very much alive Peter Parker. Fans don't care how many Spider-Men there are, but they get pissy if Peter isn't the most prominent one.

You forget that people didn't mind Mayday
Pete's kid(s) having Spider-powers makes some sense
Random people (Miles, Cindy) getting bit by spiders and also becoming Spider-people cheapens Pete's origin story.
I think more people have gotten powers from spiders than super soldier serum (Jessica Drew via... genefusing? I forget, Miles, Pete, Cindy, Miguel, that guy who ate Pete's spider for some reason)

Oh, and Miles and spider Ock are still garbage

Clone Saga, Miles and Otto have way more issues than simple succession. I don't think the issue is that Peter has to always be the most prominent so much as readers don't want writers to kill him off or shit all over him to make the legacy look better.

Mayday has the "MMMHMM WAIFU" factor in her favor.

Yes, but they're tolerated now because they aren't dancing on Peter Parker's grave anymore. Imagine if Peter was still dead and you had to choose between Miles and Otto.

>Imagine if Peter was still dead and you had to choose between Miles and Otto.
Why would I chose either?
I'm not forced to follow either if I don't like them.
If I had my choice between all living Spider-people, I'd still be reading Kaine and Aracelly's madcap adventures in Houston... I know it would have fucked with Spider-verse, but I didn't enjoy it anyway.

I wonder how people would have reacted if Marvel had made Kaine the new face of the Spider-Man franchise.

It would still be a retarded development, but anything is better than selling your marriage to the fucking devil.

probably about the same as when bucky became cap

I'm a marriagefag, but I'd be okay with divorce, provided the story build up to it properly. Relationships are complicated and it's totally okay for the marriage to fail, even if, or better yet because of, the characters still care for each other. Zdarsky just made the break up work on a far more compressed scale in Life Story, but it was fine, because the reasoning and the psychology behind the characters made sense. MJ is a good character precisely because, contrary to the popular sentiment, she isn't a mere wish fulfillment. She isn't a submissive girlfriend who's there just to do Peter's laundry. She always had a head, drive and life of her own. That's why she got bumped up and Gwen got killed off back in the day, after all.

So, remove Aunt May dying from the equation, because I can't imagine MJ leaving under those circumstances, and I can totally buy the marriage fracturing in the aftermath of Civil War. MJ had all the reasons to walk after all that and similarly, Peter could have felt prompted to cut his ties too after his superhero life fucked his family up so badly too. It could have made for a powerful story and even stronger reunion, should they rekindle the relationship down the line. But no, asspulls and cosmic retcons it is.

Peter would have been alot more open to Ben taking over had he not been tied to the retarded ''IS PETE/BEN THE REAL PETER PARKER FIND OUT SOON'' plotthread

Quesda's thing was that he was a manchild going through a divorce and used Spiderman as therapy.

Try again. They spun it as MJ making the deal in the end, and it was still hated.

This. Same goes for MJ, who stuck with him through far worse. If the events of Clone Saga, Venom tormenting her, Peter being mindraped into attempting to kill her and being threatened with arrest by SHIELD during Civil War didn't make her want to divorce him, nothing would.

That was Marvel eating itself up, really. The writers wanted to wrap the story up quickly, but the sales department forced them to prolong it when the figures came in. If they didn't fuck themselves up, Ben could have been another Kyle Rayner instead of ending up in a limbo for a couple of decades.

They're clearly complaining about self-insert fags.

You'd only think that if you only skimmed through 80's and 90's Spider-Man and somehow think the flanderized version from BND onwards is an accurate version of the character

People would hate it, but it would be less hated than the devil-dealing one.

I find the excuse for them not using divorce for them funny because Into the Spider-Verse had a divorced Peter.

I still don't understand why keeping Peter young has to be a thing when Miles is standing right here now. Marvel doesn't even have the MCU as an excuse after Spider-Verse made the character fully mainstream and accessible to the normalfags.

YOu did have to choose between miles and otto at one point though, and that was the era where one piece officially over took spider man as the third highest selling comic book. I choose Miles at the time since he was in the ultimate universe and dealt with a dead peter I gave no fucks about but at the end of the day I'd go with otto, at least he looked pete in the eye when he stole his life. Miles was just handed it and several hot white girl waifus on a silver platter, yet has never had a good story to his name.

Same thing happened to Otto i believe, slott just had a small story planned with pete taking his body back by the end of the year but editoririal wanted to post pone it to bring amazing back to coincide with the amazing spider-man 2. I don't know if it was an attempt to get a bump in sales with a number 1 or to not give free publicity to the sony movie

I never understood this fixation with "relatability". I want to go on fantastic adventures in my comic books, I don't want to repeat the same things going on in my own life, I can answer my voicemail for that. It's more interesting, thoughtful and imaginative to follow an unrelatable hero.

No that would be giving free publicity to the Sony movie, if they want a big conclusion to get timed with that. Unlike the deal with Fox, at the time Marvel got all the merchandise money from Spider-Man.

>basing storylines on songs
Thanks for the idea.

Right. Plus, one can still relate to a more outlandish character in unrealstic situations, if they retain understandable character traits. That's the whole point of us humans being blessed with this thing called "empathy". Some of the fictional characters I found myself to be most alike are also ones that are really far away from me, either in terms of age or profession or general place in life.

People who need fiction to be beholden solely to their personal praxis are limiting its very literary purpose.

Comics management is retarded, in other news, the sky is blue.