What was the goddamned joke? Is “Hansel” really that funny of a name?

What was the goddamned joke? Is “Hansel” really that funny of a name?

Attached: hansel.jpg (480x360, 14K)

I'm not from the US, so i never understud either, is suppose to be a reference o pun about something?

Isn't the point that he was reading Hansel and Gretel before coming here and when the kid said his name Bugs realized it's exactly the scenario in the book where the witch wants to eat them?
Is there really a joke as much as Bugs recognizing what's going on?

the joke is that Bugs initially was pronouncing Hansel wrong, and was caught off guard when he found out the right pronunciation

You seriously never heard of the Hansel and Gretel story?

Hansel?

It's funny because in America "Hansel" rhymes with "pan cell." The pronunciation "hawn cell" is just funny sounding. So it got laffs.

Hansel is german for homosexual. That's the joke you fucking utter moron.

I'd hate to ruin the joke.
The joke is that people usually pronounce the "Han" in "Hansel" like "Han", as in "Hand", so when Hansel tells Bugs his name, he realizes that he has been pronouncing it wrong all this time.
Atleast that's what I believe.

It's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

actually, hansel rhymes with 'incel'. bugs was simply shocked to she hansel outside of his bedroom and running around with a girl.

Hansel is an extremely stupid name unlike a normal name like Gerbaceous Paraxedes Gumesindo.

t. hansel

It's possible that it was intended to be a topical joke about a then-current debate over the proper way to pronounce the name; there was a feature length version of the Hansel & Gretel released later that year and the marketing for it probably kicked off around the time the short was being made.

This is the only explanation that makes sense. The sane, obvious, normal explanation which millennial zoomer redditors cannot understand.

The pronounciation one works because Bugs specifically says Hansel the way you’d think it’s pronounced.
It’s the humiliation of having only ever read a word and never heard it and then you’re in the middle of an important discussion and the person stops you to say “when you say ‘segway’ do you mean ‘segue’?”

I got it mixed up, it’s supposed to be pronounced like Segway but I was saying seg-you

Someone give me a recap of that episode.
I completely forgot.

Hansel?

>“when you say ‘segway’ do you mean ‘segue’?”
oh...
oh no...

Attached: 797a9a82.jpg (464x401, 10K)

It’s essentialy just Bugs interacting with the story of Hansel and Gretel as an outside observer.
There’s a running gag where Hansel actually pronounces “Hänsel” the way it should be in German which causes everyone who hears that to be confused

My favourite one is the idle thumbs podcast where one of the hosts keeps saying “seg” for years and nobody catches on he’s trying to say segue because they think he’s just abbreviating “segment”.

Hansel?

Attached: confused.png (728x733, 282K)

actually the real name is "Hänsel" (german here)

but for some reasons americans never bothered with Umlaute like "ä", "ö", and "ü" so no wonder they pronounce all all words using them wrong

like writing Zweihänder as Zweihander and such

...Hansel?

no your saying it wrong its pronounced "Hansel"

>T. Gerbaceous Paraxedes Gumesindo.

To be fair? Umlauts are a pain in the dick to type. Blame the keyboards.

It's because all the accents are hidden under ALT+Tab+number commands on American keyboards.
Even /vp/ doesn't bother with the accent on the e in Pokemon.

yeah i know, no offense

but almost all americans still pronounce it wrong, i wasn't complaining about them not spelling it correctly

We don't have those sounds in American English. And we don't use umlauts, accents, circumflexes, or any other diacriticals, so they're meaningless to us.
And we tend to pronounce foreign words as if they were American words. So Paris becomes "PAIR-iss," Hannover becomes "HAN-oh-verr," with "han" rhyming with "pan," and so on.

Latin must be an extra pain in the ass for y'all. And Japanese.

don't forget that abomination that is "karaoke" in your language
why is it so hard for you to respect other languages?

Is like the Sword joke from Nedroid

Haaansel?

H-HANSEL HAVE MERCY!

Attached: blackbolt-wat.jpg (295x295, 16K)

they are teeth, sugar kill them

German names are inherently funny.

Attached: Gunter_the_penguin.png (737x1085, 87K)

Latin lines up well with American English, not sure how they're fucking it up in your country to make you think otherwise.

Hawnsaul?

>We don't have those sounds in American English.
Eh, I think we've got all of the German sounds in American English except maybe some of the slurred shit. It's more that our default vowel readings as much as we have those are completely fucking different.

Japanese is piss easy for us to speak except for the r and the ts. Japanese is not the most complex language to speak what with hyperconsistent sounds and no stresses. Reading it on the other hand? Once again, the main issue is default vowel readings. Whoever came up with Romaji should have been shot. It's basically all fucked. Also n sounding like m before m, p, and b. Hearing a hard N in kanpai makes me cringe.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, ß can go fuck itself.

Isn't that just a double s? like in Strauss and such?

I know it's an ss. Why the fuck is it a B? Shit pisses me off worse than f for s from ye olden writing.