Weekend Yea Forums creation thread

Or /coc/ thread if that's what you look for in the catalog.

Wiki:
the-conservatory.fandom.com/wiki/The_Yea Forumsnservatory_Wiki

Past threads:
desuarchive.org/co/search/text/the-conservatory wiki/type/op/

Attached: 1557621870027.png (1785x1907, 1.15M)

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.plus4chan.org/coc/t50663.html#p50663
boards.fireden.net/co/thread/76924996/#77012913
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>How does this work?

>It works like a community toy chest. In the /coc/ threads you are free to post whatever ideas/settings/characters you want, but you have to be OK with other people playing with them (tweaking them, putting them in stories, using them for things, etc.)
>There's no guarantee that what you post will catch on either.

>If the OC you are posting is YOURS for something you are personally doing, then it would go to the "How is your webcomic?" threads.
>If you just want feedback on an OC of yours, then it would go in the "donut steel" threads or drawthreads.

Last time:

-Progress on The Lovely Ladybug Summer Special continues
-New pics
-More editing of the Yea Forumsle story
-Other stuff I didn't mention

Attached: 1557608057061.png (1000x1037, 1.1M)

That looks amazing, but what is it?

That picture in particular is Zorana Volkova, 2nd in command to a superhuman-obsessed Eastern European dictator. She's basically a werewolf, though more the "transform at-will" kind.

Attached: file.png (480x640, 173K)

At night anyway, she can't transform during the day.

So, time travel or teleportation?

I want to scratch her behind her ears

Do you think Sokol ever pats her on the head?

I kind of want to know more about The Eastern Jewel, the Latveria of the setting, but it's something that's gotten very little discussion.

Is there a flag for The Eastern Jewel?

I don't think there is.
Other than the leader, the second in command, and some stuff about his super power army, not much on the subject.

Looks like another slow thread.

I don't even remember what their names are.

Attached: 1367966972772.png (892x1120, 527K)

I have drawn this image a while back but only scanned it today.

The usage of this drawing is to make into a imaginary magazine cover with in-universe super heroes as its subject, and then use it as a texture for some of the magazine in the 3d model project I was working on, featuring Conrad's comic shop.

Attached: 2019MAY18_skathi_rough.jpg (848x1200, 198K)

Neat.

Given how Skathi is pretty much immortal, and has been in the hero business since before modern times, there are probably also vintage magazines with her on the cover.

Attached: 1555859887816.jpg (446x437, 38K)

That makes me wonder, would/do any of the /coc/ characters have in-universe comic strips? I imagine at least a few might have entered deals for a quick buck or franchised at some point.

Mighty Mantis does for certain. A couple characters have being a fan of his as part of their backstory.

Not just Mighty Mantis, but it seems the bulk of the Justice Coalition do as well since it funds their organization.

Nevermind that when the best part is lower down...

I mean belly rubs

Don't think they ever got names. If I remember though, I think scarface is American and the big guy is Swedish. The Sniper is Eastern European but I don't think it was settled on where.

Attached: file.png (600x801, 26K)

Doing some warm ups before I get started on commissions. Post some characters you want to see and I'll try to get 2 or 3 done.

One of the Darkhearts.

Attached: DarkheartGolems.png (2400x1200, 912K)

Here's the full group's masks.

Attached: Darkhearts.png (900x1200, 628K)

Pretty sure the big guy has invisibility powers as a result of an experiment done to his dad that also gave his dad super cancer.

His dad was one of Sokol's friends.

How about Red Laser Bones?

Attached: 1375885050918.png (400x533, 53K)

Maybe this is a better reference.

Attached: 1375870079863.png (600x800, 214K)

There was one I never posted that I made a year back when I was drinking. I'll post that one in a sec after I find it.

Attached: Darkheart01.png (1500x1824, 512K)

I'd think it comes with being in one of the big groups as part of merchandising, so comrades and coalition would definitely have 'em for their members.

>Come at me, bro

Neat.

Attached: RLB.png (1500x2250, 833K)

Radical.

Red Laser Bones is one of those characters that just makes me think about how Yea Forumsntainment keeps evolving over the years and how that'd translate back into their in-universe progression as an organization.

How about these guys ?

Since the Yea Forumsmrades get the bulk of their funding from Chaptor and (I assume) are more organized as city defenders than the Coalition's deployment task force kind of thing, fewer of the Yea Forumsmrades have such deals.

I assume.

>Since the Yea Forumsmrades get the bulk of their funding from Chaptor and (I assume) are more organized as city defenders than the Coalition's deployment task force kind of thing, fewer of the Yea Forumsmrades have such deals.

Most of the people in the Jco would not even need the money, since they can get buy without it, but:
- Nicky Two-vests is directly employed by Chaptor as a bodyguard since before the city lifts ups, but given his adventurer lifestyle he probably has more stashed money than the others in the team.
- Jetpack Viking does part-time jobs. the ones mentioned before are beach lifeguard and jetpack flight trainer (trains the special forces of the floating city).
I have no idea about Atomic Esquire or Manny Quinn. Does Manny even have any personality at all?

But yeah, they do get financing from Chaptor. Basically they have gold cards in the city, so they are never without money. But that's because most of them don't use much to begin with.

Manny Quinn doesn't need to eat, so the bulk of his expenses go to buying or replacing uniforms and outfits. He never knows when he'll need, say, and airplane pilot outfit so he can fly a plane like an expert.

I'm not sure what his personality is, it's never been discussed as far as I know, but it might have been. The archives are just gone for it.
I do know he is VERY enthusiastic about whatever profession he's dressed to be though.

Atomic Esquire and Nuclear Knight probably have the same deal as Nicky with Chaptor since they're old friends and Chaptor was there when the two got reacquainted back in the 1800s.

I bet Manny's origin is still on wayback. I think it still has an archive of chanarchive's archive of the thread.

Finding that thread would be a massive pain though.

If I had known that would be the case I would've saved an offline html of the thread along with the original drawings.

Attached: 1188713408979.png (263x596, 37K)

Well, maybe if the thread survives the night it'll pick up tomorrow.

Here is a Skathi.
There's a story here, I'm sure.
Maybe someone else can color it?

Attached: skathi.png (1500x1261, 475K)

Zzzzzz slow thread.

Attached: 577e0492ecced9b606746e1e6e5b46f3e046e1ac.jpg (1500x1000, 127K)

People make 3DCG comics all the time. Would a low-poly, cel-shaded comic be feasible for a /coc/ project or would people have expectations of something with more advanced rendering/lighting?

When I say "low-poly" I mean like Mega Man Legends or Sheep Raider, like 'hardware-induced-limitation' ludicrously low but with gorgeous colour theory to compliment it

At this point /coc/ is in desperate need of art guys to balance out the idea guys calling themselves writers so I'd go for it anyway and ignore the choosing beggars.

It's a chicken and egg situation. No one is doing art because there are no stories to make art of, and no one is writing because there's no one doing art.

Looks like Skathi in prehistoric times.

Proper stories actually take time to write you know.

>It's a chicken and egg situation. No one is doing art because there are no stories to make art of
That's only a partial reason. Another part of it is that a lot of the designs you do have are clearly not made by artists; they're overly detailed because from a writing standpoint characterization is worn on the sleeve, but no artists were around to say "this will be an nightmare to replicate over and over"

>but no artists were around to say "this will be an nightmare to replicate over and over"
Hence the suggestion of 3DCG. Even if creating the initial model is a nightmare and a half (along with the same process for other characters and background assets), that model can be rigged and used/customised indefinitely
>Another part of it is that a lot of the designs you do have are clearly not made by artists
Any particular examples? Colette, Conrad, Golden Girl et al are all popular and seem easy enough to replicate

It couldn't hurt, but they might not get much attention. It would probably also depend which characters you picked, some would probably translate better than others.

Season Girls has been brought up as an example in the past. Not designed by artists is going to far tho. More like not designed with how other artists will feel about drawing them half a dozen times to make a strip in mind.

>Looks like Skathi in prehistoric times.
Prehistoric people had metal spearheads and intricate fabrics? Looks like any other Skathi to me.

Nice job, by the way.

>There's a story here, I'm sure.
It looks like she's running after something, but she doesn't know exactly what it is.

Maybe she's on a rescue mission, but is only now about to find out what she's up against.
When she rounds that corner, she skids to a sudden halt, staring. She stands frozen in place for a few heartbeats. Then, still staring, she drops her weapon.

That's a good point; if you want to make a series with a character, you have to decide on a fixed design first, flesh it out so it looks good, and make character sheets detailing their looks from different angles. As far as I know, the only /coc/ character that has those was Nicky Two-vests, back when Coalesquid was making test designs of him.

Conrad is just The Spirit with a Yea Forums card on the hat, so I'd avoid him. Colette would be fine but she looks different on pretty much every image that was made of her - and it was established that she changed her looks around over the years (when she first got her powers, she had a cape and those ankle protectors).

One problem is that you use 3dcg, then you need a model for every design and for every character. If the comic is drawn, it would be easier to populate larger scenes. And if it is something of a flashback or an introduction, then it's less of a chore to change the characters looks.

Quick sketch for the Eastern Jewel flag. Any suggestions? I want more details about Sokol's nation, what's the national anthem?

Attached: Eastern Jewel-Flag.png (1920x1080, 285K)

Spitballing here, but national anthem is probably titled 'Howl of the Patriots', and has a really catchy chorus that the armed forces chant during battles to raise morale

This must be the pinnacle in pointless details to be discussed.

She had those things before arriving on Earth.

No clue about the anthem, but the country itself is cold practically year round.

>Any particular examples? Colette, Conrad, Golden Girl et al are all popular and seem easy enough to replicate
Which is why they have above and beyond the most art. Look to the characters that don't.

I think they get the most art more because they're some of the most prominent. There are quite a lot of characters that are easy to replicate but have next to no art.

>One problem is that you use 3dcg, then you need a model for every design and for every character.
The development time is front-loaded but when you have that model you can rig it and customise and reuse it indefinitely. If you're drawing the character you still need a consistent frame of reference for them from multiple angles, it's lots of work in the long run.
Ok well name some examples of characters that are also popular but also have impractical designs

Cool idea, I was thinking something more like this, sort of icy cold corporate but indicating success and moving upward and forward?

Attached: Eastern_Jewel_Flag.png (1000x655, 24K)

I'm going to be brutally real with you. It looks like bad powerpoint clipart.

That's a good description of what I was going for, so yeah.

What would happen if the wolf was the under layer of the arrow flag?

Also, did Sokol make the flag a wolf for Zorana?

>Ok well name some examples of characters that are also popular but also have impractical designs
I think that's the point they're trying to make -
>impractical design
>leads to not getting much art
>leads to less attention/enthusiasm directed towards the character
>character fades from discussion
You could swap the first two points out for
>character premise is hard to communicate
to get the idea guy equivalent

I just had a thought about this flag. Since the country was sucked up in to the Soviet Union, what if that flag draped on the wolf is their old flag from before, with the new flag with the snarling wolf, showing their defiance and resistance?

You have it a little backwards. The country was formed out of old Soviet countries in the chaos of the collapse. The lands it makes up were never specified to have been its own sovereign nation before the soviet block moved in.

>Ok well name some examples of characters that are also popular but also have impractical designs
Failure to consider ease of art helped torpedo BQ, despite some anons continually trying to keep it alive.

So question, if someone made a graphic novel out of a /coc/ idea or characters or sold merchandise of them, could they?
Are they considered in the public domain? If not then who has the right to make money off of them?
I get that if they did then they couldn't stop other from doing the same thing.

They could, there's nothing stopping them. It's all under creative commons and there's no way to prove who made most of these characters.

So far no one has been a big enough of a dick to do that sort of thing despite over a decade of rampant paranoia that has only ever served to derail threads for months to years on end whenever it pops up.

Love it. Also, is the Eastern Jewel the only official name? It sounds more like the translation of the name.
I just went for wolf because it felt appropiate. Yes, I thought of Zorana, but moreso on the fact that it's a bunch of former soviet nations, brutally cold, not many hours of sunlight, and a history of lycanthropy in the region

>What would happen if the wolf was the under layer of the arrow flag?
That would be pretty cool. Maybe not the whole wolf, but a wolf's head in sort of fascist/brutalist style?

I think that is the translated name, but I can't remember what the proposed name it was translating is.

Majestic hunting wolf kind of look, or teeth showing snarl?

Since Yea Forums is getting 30+ Star VS threads a day right now, this thread will likely get bumped off fast, so in case it does, here's a reminder that we have longer term discussions at the plus4chan thread:
boards.plus4chan.org/coc/t50663.html#p50663

Feels like every other week or maybe even twice a week now there's some big thing happening that speeds up the usual traffic.

did anybody download this?
boards.fireden.net/co/thread/76924996/#77012913

Attached: 1445940596144.jpg (937x699, 243K)

I know someone did, but I'm not among them.

So does The Eastern Jewel have their own sort of Justice Coalition super group?
It's all part of the government there, but still, there probably is an elite super task force for dealing with the odd living ice monster, dire wolf plague, sapient cloud of angry sulfur, etc.

I don't dig this. I feel like with Zorana being meant to be Sokol's super competent 2nd-in-command, she shouldn't have that big of a restriction on her power.

So add in a magic amulet, or an ancient spell/ritual to enhance the usage of her power.
But have it happen a few years after the country is founded so they'd have the resources needed to manage such a power boost.

Right now she can transform on any night with moonlight, but she can only transform fully on nights with a full moon, she can't transform on nights with a new moon (which is something I think should remain even with a power boost to transform during the day).

Back when the country was first starting up she was clashing with the Queen's Queers vampire (Marian) on a semi-regular basis since Sokol had Zorana out and about aggressively recruiting people who knew their super stuff.
There's at least one story detailing a fight they had over a physicist and, while they were chasing him, he invented a machine that emits some sort of radiation that fucks with both vampires and werewolves at the same time.

Have that as the catalyst to wanting to boost her powers and achieve day time transformations.

I think for a lot of artists just tossing things out here as a sort of side-hobby, model sheets are something they just don't consider putting out (mostly because they're usually the one drawing the character anyway). I can only think of a couple characters who have them, and GG is one of them.

I think there's also some hesitance when a character has been around a while to design/redesign a model sheet, just in case the collective doesn't like the design document or thinks you're taking too much of the control or something.

It does make me wonder if things would change if more of the original artists dropped basic model sheets even for some of the more "fiddly" character designs, though. I think just having some solid, one-place reference would change things for a lot of characters so artists don't need to hunt down pictures of them at different angles.

>Majestic hunting wolf kind of look, or teeth showing snarl?
Not snarling. They think they're the good guys, not aggressors, right?

Hard to know what a bad guy thinks they are, but they do try to cultivate a good image.

What is Sokol's endgame anyway?

IHM just wants to crash the floating city and probably destroy everything after that.
Clockwork Prophet wants to find the mechsiah and bring about mechanical domination of all life.

Is he trying to liberate or elevate super humans?

His country and people were forced to fight in wars they had nothing to do with for the sake of people they would never meet. He wants to create a nation of superhumans that will never have to bow to a foreign power's whims. He doesn't want to be the supreme ruler of a nation of inferiors, he wants to be one among a unified nation of supreme individuals

He thinks the way other countries stifle and subdue superhumans is shortsighted. It's his desire to see the Jewel become the cradle the future of humanity is nurtured in. He's got something like a messiah complex that isn't directed at himself. He believes he sees the next step in human existence burgeoning at his feet, and everyone else is trying to trample on it.

As long as he's at odds with Clockwork Prophet because that guy fucked over a lot of his friends despite having similar complexes.

If it wern't for Sokol a lot more former soviet supers would've had their souls eaten by the Prophet's cybernetics.

In other news LMAC #8

All the talk about model sheets plus a little free time made me create this. It's a sort of consolidation of all the ways she's been drawn since I originally designed her. Dunno if it's of interest to anyone but me, but since I'm a lot busier lately it seemed like it might be worthwhile to put this out there just in case.

Attached: Moira Sheet.png (1210x1876, 889K)

This is great. Moira's design is fantastic, so hopefully this will prompt some more people to draw her.

Attached: colette cosume question duck 266.jpg (750x600, 579K)

Attached: 2019MAY20_ladybug3D_screenshot.jpg (1838x1069, 203K)

Moira is one of my favourite designs from these threads. It always reminds me of the mummy figure from the cover of Alan Parson's Project's album about Edgar Allan Poe, which is good.

Attached: 114335320.jpg (500x500, 58K)

Aw, archived already.

Nice.

Looks interesting, though I don't know why you'd need a 3d model, other than for reference.

Pardon the pun, but it really bugs me that Ladybug looks so boyish - she should have at least some small breasts. I suppose it makes for some jokes in-universe, and the writing is okay so I can look past it. It just feels like Yea Forums can't design a girl character that isn't completely flat or unnaturally endowed. Oddly enough, Colette is the only one with a completely normal body type.

Is it safe to assume that once she has her child, the hormones will kick in and she won't need the padding in the suit anymore?

Its for fun, mainly, also I think it might be useful for future projects.

Attached: doodle2018may05_bugmech.jpg (837x910, 103K)

>Maybe someone else can color it?
How's this

Attached: skathi ice.png (1500x1261, 1.03M)

Nice.

Her power to become transparent feels often forgotten.

Nice!

We done for this thread?

>power to become transparent
And the whole "ice giant" thing, too.

Sketched this the other day

Attached: Fire Opal2.png (2436x3290, 1.12M)

Attached: doodle2017nov05_ladybug_doodle.jpg (609x910, 215K)