Post characters fans think are deep but really aren't

Post characters fans think are deep but really aren't.

Attached: HelmetJasperDP.png (2000x3000, 81K)

The point is that Jasper could have been

Attached: It_Could've_Been_Great_000.png (1920x1090, 1.31M)

While I don't think she's deep, I do like her more than any of SU's other antagonists.
She was the only one who couldn't be talked down or reasoned with and they HAD to fight her to try to stop her in any way.

she was undoubtedly the most compelling character on the show.

>T. a Lapis apologist

The show ain't over bud, cool your jets.

>Topaz and Aqua
>Yellow and Blue Diamond
>White Diamond
>Literally every corruption

This talk-no-jutsu meme needs to stop.

You are mistaken, I said she could fist me deep not that she is deep.

>This talk-no-jutsu meme needs to stop.
Not that user but Topaz, Yellow, Blue, and White were literally all TNJ'd.

>Topaz made her own decision to help after listening to Steven and Lars talk,
>Steven had to fight Yellow and Blue on the beach and it was only the Diamond aura that saved him
>Second time was TNJ, I'll give you tha
>White lost when she removed Steven's gem, her tantrum leading into the blush isn't really an example of him winning through speech

There are examples of speech and empathy winning the day in SU, but like with most complaints about the same it's vastly overestimated and comes from casual viewers forgetting everything about the show due to hiatuses.

*about the show

A bit off-topic, but how come in video games speech-based solutions feel more widely accepted than in cartoons and other non-interactive media?

Aquamarine is valid, but mainly just because she disappeared completely after taking Steven to homeworld and never really got much of a resolution.

If I had to hazard a guess it's because you're in direct control of that whereas in shows that have action it seems like a cop-out sometimes. SU is a show about empathy and fee-fee's though so I've never had a problem with it.

Usually in video games, it's either optional or not the focus of the game.

>vastly overestimated
It's what Steven's character is all about
>I don't want to run. I don't want to fight. I just want to talk.
It's a shame the antagonists don't have the conviction to not be swayed by a few choice words, the Diamonds changing their society to not be total tyrant super Hitlers particularly doesn't feel earned. That's presumably what happened since doubt we're touching on the Diamonds again at least meaningfully.

Society's built on fear are usually the easiest to dismantle. White being the Queen Ant allows everything to fall like a house of cards when she loses.

>Deep

Dude, I liked her because she didn't become a meme character after being converted by Steven's TnJ

Attached: 1469742396834.png (800x811, 743K)

Their wasn't any dismantling, the leaders just Changed Their Mind. Blue and Yellow because they spent eons missing Pink, which gave them the capability to emphasize? I guess? and for White because ??? she realized she's not perfect? Do we even know if she really gave a fart about Pink, her being permanently dead should have been a huge revelation for not only White but Yellow and Blue as well, but it more focused on her being wrong and blushing.
>I'm suppose to be perfect!

I guess we'll have to wait and see if that gets expanded on in later season(s). I can't see everything being spelled out, but at least Yellow, Blue and White realize that they're not dealing with Pink anymore for the most part. According to Rebecca etc. fusion is going to be acceptable on Homeworld now and those Jades that got poofed will be OK, but other than that we have no idea how things will play out from here on out.

>her being permanently dead should have been a huge revelation for not only White but Yellow and Blue as well
I don't know why I tricked myself into believing that would be a plot point. Yellow and Blue were convinced Steven was still Pink. I don't know if we're suppose to think they learned she was dead off-screen or what.

There's nothing confirmed either way right now. Blue said "SHE prefers to be called Steven" and then Yellow and Blue call him Steven from that point on but that's about it.

>"SHE prefers to be called Steven"
Exactly, they thought Steven was literally trans Pink. I'm pretty sure we're suppose to assume they learned the news off-screen since Change Your Mind really felt like the definitive end for that particular arc. I don't like the
>You can't be disappointed because they're is supposedly more to come!
Putting faith in them revisiting this does not seem logical to me. Simple truth is the show didn't care about this plot point as much as I did, even when it became plot relevant during the White encounter.

Attached: Change Your Mind_trim5.webm (960x540, 3M)

Attached: m.jpg (1200x230, 53K)

I didn't say anything about not being disappointed, I'm saying the show isn't over and anything could happen.

>will probably be the only antagonist with a good and complicated redemption
I, for one, am glad they had the good sense not to give her a redemption arc, instead just giving her a quick scene at the end that shows she's got a lot of things to think about. I don't trust the show to do anything more than that with her.

There's still time for her to be ruined

This, it's really telling that a lot of people only give a fuck about her story and are just watching the show for her return

That's not SU specific, tons of shows have breakout characters.

Screw that user.

I'd rather she fall into crippling depression after learning the truth of Pink Diamond and the fact that the war she's made for was a total lie.

Just remembered a line from CYM that basically confrims at least White knows Pink is properly gone

>If I'm not perfect, who am I? If you're not Pink, then who are you? Who is anyone?

So I guess White properly explained it to Yellow and Blue afterwards, possibly even on the trip back to Earth. It's kind of easy to gloss over so I forgot about it until now.

That's just retarded waifufaggots, there are people like that watching the show for fucking Lapis for God's sake. It's not an expression of a good character at all.

Usually when people try to say she's one dimensional they don't get her character at all and refuse to accept when Jasperfags and Rebecca Sugar herself explain her depth and the more complicated reasons behind her motives and behavior, BECKY has confirmed many times she's meant to be a very complicated and tragic character.

Her arc from season 1 to season 3 was about building up why she is the way she is and leading her towards hitting rock bottom. She's like an edgy combination of Amethyst and Pearl, an earthling gem raised as an exception on homeworld who struggles with an inferiority complex because she's from a trashy kindergarten and earth along with everything from it is stigmatized on homeworld, who was made to fight against the CGs in the war but felt like she was a worthless failure and lost her only purpose in life when her diamond was shattered and obsessed with getting revenge on rose and proving she's better than everyone else to make up for it, Malachite fucked her up even more. She hasn't been able to move on from the past or heal like Amethyst, Pearl, and Lapis did because she's alone and feels like she doesn't deserve help and her entire life has been screwed over by Pink's lies. She will undoubtedly finally get a chance to start growing past her issues with self worth and fusion and PD next season, and those who refuse to see her depth now might start seeing her differently then, but so far I'm glad she was allowed to be an interesting antagonist who faced real repercussions for her actions and didn't spend every other episode crying about her problems and being coddled for it. I like that she stays tough and determined despite her self worth issues and the suffering she's faced.

Objective better examples of characters who lack depth or reason behind their beliefs and actions, sometimes to the point of being one dimensional: Garnet, Ruby, Sapphire, Blue Diamond, Yellow Diamond, White Diamond, the one off FOTMS, the townies

Attached: jaspethyst.jpg (1906x1080, 410K)

> good redemption arc
> SU
You wish. There are no consequences in this show. She will cry, sing a song, say "sorry" and that's it. The next time we see her, she will be living in the bathroom with Peridot and Lapis watching TV or something equally stupid like that.

>I don't watch the show: The Post
>If someone doesn't die, there's no consequences!!!

Lapis isn't what I'd call super deep because she doesn't have much motives or backstory and literally everything she does can be traced down to her issues from being trapped in the mirror, but she does have some depth. Her problem is that she's terribly written, most of the stuff that made her interesting was skipped over and all her potential was thrown away when she got shoved in the barn. Peridot started out as a good character but she also hasn't done anything important and has been relegated to serving as a comic relief character ever since she was shoved in the barn. Jasper hasn't been ruined yet, she still has a ton of development potential and a ton of shit to work through to complete her arc.

She has been back for 30 seconds of screen time.

Peridot had a good one until Lapis came back and made the whole thing pointless.