17 years after the release of Treasure planet, gaslamp space opera still isn't a thing

>17 years after the release of Treasure planet, gaslamp space opera still isn't a thing

it hurts, bros...

Attached: screen-shot-2014-02-23-at-5-09-56-pm.png (1280x800, 1.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0BEhiWL1Pl0
youtube.com/watch?v=XtuBY2bPVrI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Western
youtube.com/watch?v=A_0r4E3dN00
animatedviews.com/2014/buried-treasure-the-ill-fated-voyage-to-treasure-planet-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=X9Hrq9dzNSs
youtu.be/MDXfQTD_rgQ?t=55s
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4
youtube.com/watch?v=fNdMC6_eUGk
openbionics.com/alita/
youtube.com/watch?v=AScCVzENcjs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

;_;
youtube.com/watch?v=0BEhiWL1Pl0

The lack of anything resembling guard rails here is really anxiety inducing.

Attached: 1533492178506.gif (600x336, 680K)

not to worry: anti-grav technology within the etherium is sophisticated enough that you would likely just float in place for a little while if you fall off. it would be similar to falling off of a dock in a harbour town

all that meticulous worldbuilding, all that whimsical wonder... tossed aside by he general public...

David Drake's RCN series may scratch that itch.

I know right!

interesting, i'll have to check it out

Attached: 1519309505288.png (234x215, 49K)

treasure planet was shit and you're all weird nerds for liking it.

I wish it was a thing too bros :(

Shame about the rest of the movie.

I love the environment designs for this movie, the alien design was top tier as well.

Attached: Treasure Planet Alien.jpg (349x479, 29K)

Well. There's this.

Attached: jupitergrid.png (1893x794, 2.96M)

someone just post the treasure planet robot-arm copypasta already. im tired of waiting.

Never understood the appeal of space opera

>his own setting doesn't include space sailboats at some point in history

Just for you.

Attached: ss5X2WJ.jpg (1873x4842, 916K)

that movie was such a self indulgent mess i really liked

I feel you. Endless disappointment that underwater space opera isn't a thing.

What don't you get?

Idk, I thought Star Wars was boring, I never bothered finishing Treasure Planet

this was a ride

Attached: 1525206399501.png (938x575, 478K)

thanks dawg

Well, that body certainly prove intelligent design wrong. Only able to see while opening the mouth? Retarded biology.

It's honestly better than most Star Wars movies.

Attached: f98.jpg (1280x900, 148K)

maybe his whisker thingies give him echolocaiton or something

i want to watch treasure planet with this guy

>Endless disappointment that underwater space opera isn't a thing.
Isn't Avatar 2 supposed to focus on the oceans of pandora?

that's what makes it FUN!

not an achievement

that was my childhood

>Star Wars/Star Trek
Well there's your problem. The big two have their merits, but are ultimately really fucking stupid.

>Avatar
>best bet for underwater adventure is Avatar
... Fuck it, I'm gonna make my own, and then never actually make it because I lack ambition.

>tfw have an autistically complex space opera universe but not talented enough to bring it to life
the eternal idea guy

>have good characters but entire worldbuilding is made out of balsa wood

Attached: 1405202839235.gif (220x156, 1.92M)

I need some inspiration so tell us a tale user.

You two should get together.

it gives me the brain pains

Attached: 4a49080dffd31fd1c514c3ba960ca7aa.jpg (564x679, 62K)

what's the difference between steampunk and gaslamp again?

>I have amazing worldbuiding sklls, but every character is just a rip off of cape shit

Attached: 1557460647660.jpg (182x276, 15K)

Less cogs probably

We cant have a Treasure Planet thread without our threadly reminder that TP would probably be held up alongside Disneys golden age classics if it wasnt for this. fucking. thing.

I mean it had to be some kind of producers mandate. the rest of the movie is too good this thing to have been written by the same people. Its like the final version of the script was marked up by George Lucas right before they started production

RANDOM YELLING IS FUNNY HA HA

Attached: disney-graphics-treasure-planet-401708.gif (237x350, 7K)

steampunk is a real thing and gaslamp fantasy is something that the creator of "girl genius" made up for some reason

Honor Harrington is also 18th century navies in disguise. Horatio Hornblower. The pseudo-"physics" forces the ships to be laid out, maneuvered, and fought like wooden-hulled surface vessels.

If you want _real_ gaslamp Space Opera, try the "Arabella of Mars" series or "The Daedalus Incident" by Martinez. Aether, alchemy, and interplanetary flight.

Attached: Capture.png (265x402, 245K)

Never play any gravity rush game
youtube.com/watch?v=XtuBY2bPVrI

I doubt it that robot doesn't even show up till near the end of the movie. Just like titian ae it's a boring film.

That robot is such a miniscule part of the movie though

Thanks for that. That looks like a cool design too.

he's based on an actual character in the book

i bet they wanted robin willaims for him

i thought it was that gaslamp is aesthetic and steampunk is examining the class systems inherent in it or something

that looks pretty hot, ngl

nah bruh. disney's atlantis is steampunk as fuck and it ain't got shit to say about class systems

>disney's atlantis is steampunk as fuck and it ain't got shit to say about class systems
Steampunk has been watered down into just an aesthetic at this point. People want the cool elements of the Victorian era without examining its flaws

Diesel. Atlantis is Diesel.
Not that these genres are all that definite anyway, but Atlantis is an early 1900s story with designs to match

Attached: 1489289135485.jpg (800x619, 306K)

>I doubt it that robot doesn't even show up till near the end of the movie. Just like titian ae it's a boring film.
>That robot is such a miniscule part of the movie though
THANK YOU.

It is so annoying hearing people bitch about B.E.N. when he's only in like two scenes. He's lame, but not that obtrusive.

Attached: treasure-planet-ben.jpg (603x358, 21K)

My stuff's got a lot of layers to it so I'm not sure how to summarize. But I like to write about identity; exploring it and manipulating it. I also like shamelessly indulgent pulp. I didn't like what Disney was doing with SW, so I set out to make my own space adventure with blackjack and hookers. my discord is sailorquaoar #1199 if anyone wants to talk

>The lack of anything resembling guard rails here is really anxiety inducing.
I remember seeing the first Star Wars movie back in the day when it was re-released and having the same reaction with pretty much every shot inside the Death Star.

pre 1920s shit is steampunk, ask any lawyer. cars only became widely available after the 1910s were over

No clue on the identity bit but I can agree on just pulp and making your own thing.
What did you go for stylistically?

Attached: 002146.jpg (1236x1144, 200K)

Attached: 12154.jpg (900x321, 64K)

Attached: 165468.jpg (707x435, 111K)

Nobody dies from fall damage in Star Wars.

Attached: 456513.jpg (708x480, 126K)

Attached: 564646.jpg (516x640, 56K)

Yeah a lack of guard rails and heavy drinking really does make you think.

Attached: 1635133..jpg (720x450, 97K)

Attached: 1654848.jpg (1280x828, 190K)

Attached: 5484513.jpg (1280x816, 183K)

Attached: 46896748.png (500x347, 287K)

perhaps they have invisible forcefield ledges

god hat i would give for high quality versions of these. still though, thanks for posting them

Attached: treasure planet.jpg (409x632, 28K)

>What did you go for stylistically?
I was inspired by Mass Effect and the Star Wars prequels. It’s got bits of cyberpunk and biopunk mixed in as well. it’s currently a dumping ground for any sci fi idea I think is neat.

It's a thing in my heart, OP, it's a thing in my heart.

Attached: 4kg1uZA.gif (375x173, 489K)

>tfw you think raygun gothic is the coolest thing, but it went out of style decades ago

Attached: FiwUrPF.jpg (3096x1806, 1.54M)

Would've had a decent shot at revival if Tomorrowland was any good at all.

Space opera is a really broad genre, literally just most things set in space. Not sure how you don't get why people like space

Robert McCall, right?
Never saw this particular picture before but his style is obvious.

bingo. we have a winner.

here's your prize

Attached: XiL3tVz.jpg (6440x2096, 2.96M)

Space Opera is more limited than that. A Hal Clement novel or an Arthur Clarke may be set in space, but they don't qualify.

The term is derived from Horse Opera, generic westerns. You take a script for "Bonanza" and go through it, crossing out "6-shooter" wherever it occurs and writing "blaster". "Horse" gets replaced by "spaceship", and so on.
In other words, the fact that the story is set in Andromeda in the 31st century is irrelevant. Attitudes haven't changed and the plot would work just as well in any other milieu.

E.E.Smith's work is Space Opera (which is not to say that it's bad or uninteresting.) The Lensman novels are cops-and-robbers writ large.

>Not sure how you don't get why people like space
In all fairness, it isn't space that people like, it's the hypothetical worlds that are in it. Space itself is a literal void of empty space that has fuck all in it for lightyears at a time.

That's actually why I prefer planetary romance. Space seems like an unnecessary obstacle most of the time.

I cant even disagree with this
Dr Eggman basically makes me want to create robots

is firefly a space opera, then?

The main villain dies from fall damage, bruh.

From what I know of it (hearsay, never watched), "yes".

Wikipedia's definition is as good as any.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera

Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, interplanetary battles, chivalric romance, and risk-taking. Set mainly or entirely in outer space, it usually involves conflict between opponents possessing advanced abilities, futuristic weapons, and other sophisticated technology.

Though perhaps Firefly is a
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Western

huh, thanks. guess i like the genre more than i thought.

Attached: gamora guardians.jpg (497x800, 43K)

Treasure Planet was cool
Atlantis was cool
Titan AE was cool

But honestly, I can see why they flopped
Not enough stuff that kids could relate to, though I'm super suprised that Hunchback of all things got a sequel

>High budget Edge Chronicles adaptation never

Steela Garrera dies from falling in the clone wars

user...

Atlantis did get a sequel, to be fair

>implying
He wasn't even that bad and was barely in the movie. It's the marketing that killed it.

Is this some kind of Epcot Concept art?

there a artbook but i think it goes pretty high tho

Nobody's ever really gone

I read that Disney digitally removed blood from this movie for their home releases

what kind of bullshit is that?

Please tell me people aren't seriously going to see that wretched Rise of the Skywalkers movie just because they're baiting desperately with mother fucking palpatine

>We will never get a Dune animated series

Attached: 12341234123.jpg (556x800, 408K)

Titan AE was great, I loved it as a kid. I honestly cannot understand why people dislike it. The opening scene amazing, the ship's crew members are fun, it balances action and comedy, and it has a satisfying ending.

Attached: tg the edge screed toetaker.jpg (1242x874, 230K)

Sorta. He painted it for the "Horizons" pavilion. Which has been demolished (feels shitty) so yeah it's just a nice piece of concept art now.

Side note, does anyone know if Robert McCall did the Mural for the Spaceship Earth entrance as well?

I watched Revenge after the shit that was Attack, and I watched Solo after the shit that was Last Jedi.

Flash Gordon did it best in '80

it's a fucking cartoon

kind of like lavender castle?
youtube.com/watch?v=A_0r4E3dN00

I personally really hate any setting with a color palette that's composed mostly of browns. I really want to like treasure planet and atlantis more but they're just so very very brown. Same with boxtrolls.

Is this still Treasure Planet? These spaceship designs are sick.

Jupiter Ascending is just such a baffling experience. Almost every scene has something that just leaves you wondering what they were thinking when they made it.
I still can't decide if actually enjoyed it, or I just enjoyed that something so absurd had been made.

Gaslamp was an attempt to move away from the narrow connotations of steampunk (especially the assumption default assumption that it was Victorian Britain). Like things which embrace fantasy components, or space opera.
I'm not sure if it ever really caught on.

calling treasure planet fans nerds is funny because the movie was clearly trying the hardest for mainstream appeal of Disney’s scifi period

saw it in theatres. dont remember there being blood. i think you might be mistaken

Thanks user. I still can't believe I was watching it live

>Gaslamp was an attempt to move away from the narrow connotations of steampunk

yes, and gaslamp failed as a concept because steampunk proved to be dynamic enough to subvert peoples expectations of it. i mean hell, castle in the sky, arguably one of the first steampunk stories ever, should have been enough to show people that this was the case.

How come MYST and Cyan's stuff not more popular around here. This looks like Firmament. Victorian era scifi.

And then form a suicide pact.

My gravity rush nigga

The Wachowski's are into hardcore dissociative drugs and BDSM their movies are all just the result of that. Hollywood not even once.

Did the Lensman anime ever get found on VHS by anyone?

I wish more people remembered Rogue Galaxy

Attached: Rogue.jpg (700x368, 83K)

Gaslamp is typically used in relation to steampunk as to indicate that it doesn't feature cogfop.

>Not enough stuff that kids could relate to,
Yeah it only had out space, cool aliens, action, adventure and robots. Kids hate that shit.

No but seriously fuck you. I realize I may be old, but at what point did kids stop being able to "relate" to all this cool shit. Or need to relate to anything at all. When did space adventure become boring.

Attached: 1476783381150.png (720x528, 528K)

*outer space

animatedviews.com/2014/buried-treasure-the-ill-fated-voyage-to-treasure-planet-2/

RIP

Attached: Pirate-Kate-and-Jim1.jpg (731x1000, 255K)

>ded doggo
I am extremely angry now

Unpopular opinion, but outside of a few elements (like the new baddie) this sounds like trash and I'm glad it wasn't made.

I found that years back but was disappointed that there is apparently no SoA tier ship stuff. Or really any sort of ship free roam.
Should probably still pivk it up for the collection. Is it fun?

It's pretty fun yeah. I haven't played it in a while but I remember liking it at the time. You meet a lot of neat aliens and stuff.

The romance and wonder of discovery and progress from the age of exploration and enlightenment but IN SPACE

>Kei and Yuri
Another style that's underrated as hell is cassette futurism. I would be okay with more media that looks like Dirty Pair.

This guy is on his way to becoming Tetsuo the Iron Man and I love him for it.

Even in the old SW Legends (Non disney cannon) "ol palpy used sith soul-magic bullshit to bodyswap before he died in that shaft in the 2nd deathstar

Frankly I always liked the lawless age of exploration more than the hippy Star Trek enlightenment. Especially a lot of early TNG could just be insufferably sanctimonious.

Attached: Outlaw_Star_-_14_-_Final_Countdown_[720p]_[D088AC17].mkv_snapshot_00.16_[2018.08.11_04.43.20].jpg (960x720, 65K)

The wild west space frontiers are very cool as well. In space you can get away with all kinds of shit.

Attached: Parvati.png (1024x768, 922K)

>the Japanese have Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>Europeans have Metabarons and Valerian
>Americans have capeshit
I think I just realized the biggest flaw in American comics. No cool space stuff that isn't about guys in tights punching bank robbers on Earth.

It was a jarring juxtaposition. I didn't like how there were no explanations for how the tech worked.

>I think I just realized the biggest flaw in American comics. A single genre saturates the medium to the point of obscuring all others.
Fixed for accuracy.

You know there are other people who print comics besides Marvel and DC right. And even among those there's plenty of stuff from before those two went to shit. And fuck even your examples are old as fuck at this point too.

Attached: Crusher Joe [BD-rip 960x720 x264 FLAC] .mkv_snapshot_00.56.31_[2019.05.17_02.28.31].jpg (960x720, 68K)

w-whats cogfop

>especially since the two have, of course, started falling for each other
when even the outline admits it's a cliche...

this reminds me of that watchmen joke where all the comics are pirate comics

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Falling
Off A Space Pier Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Watch Where You're Walking Like Nigga Use
Your Eyes Haha

>other people who print comics besides Marvel and DC right
Image prints Saga and Saga is absolute shit. Feel free to demonstrate anything America has produced on the level of the other stuff I mentioned.

You show me something Japanese from the past 10 years

>You know there are other people who print comics besides Marvel and DC right.
Yeah, and they're all just as shit, if not worse. And don't you even start with your indie-fagging like I know you want to. Fuck off.

Attached: 1409123519597.jpg (174x201, 15K)

I have no idea why that should matter. I didn't specify a time period for any of the other material so why does Japan suddenly have to be current?
Also Mars Chronicle is ongoing right now.

Attached: Mars Chronicle.jpg (1513x2274, 586K)

>Yeah, and they're all just as shit, if not worse.
Poor taste

Attached: VALIANT_FIRST_POSTER.jpg (1855x1200, 686K)

>Valiant
You do understand that all of that is capeshit right? And that capeshit is exactly what I was hoping to AVOID?
Whatever. I'll just go read the Alex Raymond Flash Gordon strips again.

>I have no idea why that should matter.
>Drrr US comics because they're not all like my anime that ended more than 2 decades ago

Marvel and DC have put out a lot of space comics. The original Guardians of the Galaxy was basically a Flash Gordon story. You can't just ignore decades of marvel history because their recent run is crap while giving anime that very same benefit.

>Also Mars Chronicle is ongoing right now.
It's also shit and part of a series that started in 1990. You might as well give the west a pass because Star Wars shit is still coming out.

Attached: ass.png (697x400, 124K)

>Drrr US comics because they're not all like my anime that ended more than 2 decades ago
Did I or did I not mention TWO European titles? You idiot.
>The original Guardians of the Galaxy
Capeshit.
>You can't just ignore decades of marvel history because their recent run is crap while giving anime that very same benefit.
I can ignore capeshit when I want something that isn't capeshit. This isn't a difficult concept to understand. I don't want to read about superheroes.
>You might as well give the west a pass because Star Wars shit is still coming out.
What are some good Star Wars comics? John Ostrander is one my favorite writers, is his Star Wars stuff good?

>DC have put out a lot of space comics
Long live the Legion!

I honestly don't get why DC didn't get working on a LOSH movie the instant Guardians sold gangbusters, so they could get in on that sweet space money.
>hurr hurr normies would call ripoff
No they wouldn't, that's just some dumb meme you all made up in your heads.

>capeshit
>Yea Forums
Christ, I hate you ignorant tossers.
This is not a valid critique, it's not anything.
You don't have an argument, so just admit you're wrong.

Attached: We who are about to die..jpg (1987x3056, 2.01M)

>Did I or did I not mention TWO European titles? You idiot.
Both of which are also just as old if not older.

>Capeshit.
Nice to know you don't actually read the shit you're bitching about.

>What are some good Star Wars comics? John Ostrander is one my favorite writers
Legacy had some okay stuff in it. I didn't much care for it myself though. I really liked John Jackson Miller's KoToR book myself though. Knight Errant started choppy but got better in the second and third series, honestly Im still pretty bummed the EU got axed so it never got a conclusion.

Attached: 438px-SWKOTOR43.jpg (438x673, 105K)

>not a valid critique
It's not a critique at all, I'm saying I want something else, not that capeshit is bad by virtue of existing.
>you're wrong
I'm wrong to want something other than what Marvel and DC are offering me? That's not right.
But alright. For your sake, I will admit I was wrong. Hawkworld does exist. All less than 40 issues of it.

Attached: Hawkworld.png (1095x1651, 3.96M)

>Both of which are also just as old if not older.
Why are you harping on about age? I never said anything about age.
>Nice to know you don't actually read the shit you're bitching about.
A team of superheroes travelling around fighting people in tights is capeshit and there's nothing you can do to change this.
>KoToR book
>got axed so it never got a conclusion
It's like poetry. I'll check that out.

>I'll just go read the Alex Raymond Flash Gordon strips again
You fucking bourgie shit.
Don't post here.
>I'm wrong to want something other than what Marvel and DC
Valiant is now Marvel and DC
>capeshit
Right... You don't read comics, you just talk about them and probably collect.

Attached: My reaction is clear..jpg (380x380, 50K)

>bourgie
What is bourgie?

>Why are you harping on about age? I never said anything about age.
No. I did. And I did so because you're ignoring decades of comic history while ignoring the simple fact that anime hasn't been producing a whole lot in recent years either. It's been mostly shitty LN advertisements and isekai shit for years.

>A team of superheroes travelling around fighting people in tights is capeshit
Well then I guess Alita is capeshit. That is a purposely narrow definition.

>>KoToR book
>got axed so it never got a conclusion
Im sorry, I was unclear. Knight Errant is unfinished. KoToR actually got a reasonably satisfying ending.

Attached: _Gally_ink_with_screentones_by_Marcianek.jpg (613x812, 266K)

haughty; elitist; snob.

>you're ignoring decades of comic history
I'm ignoring things that aren't the things I want.
>Well then I guess Alita is capeshit
No Alita is SoL moe, get your genres right.
>KoToR actually got a reasonably satisfying ending
Well that's alright then.

Reading newspaper strips makes someone a snob?
I had no idea.

>No Alita is SoL moe
Just stop, please.

Attached: index.png (335x634, 188K)

>I'm ignoring things that aren't the things I want.
Like reality.

>No Alita is SoL moe, get your genres right.
It was a battle tournament for over a decade and a mad max style military rebellion story for 3 or 4 of the original volumes before that.

Attached: 1198743363141.jpg (682x829, 59K)

>being so pedantic you ignore an obvious joke and go full on ACKHUALLY
Yes, it's time to stop this nonsensical tangent and take a moment to appreciate how Jim had the best Disney mom.

Attached: Jim and Mom.gif (500x262, 900K)

Please continue posting Alita.

Here's a template of Alita singing. Add your own lyrics!

Attached: Big Generator template.jpg (728x1115, 524K)

Okie dokie

Attached: sweat.png (1416x1772, 327K)

Attached: 1553653688236.jpg (504x1230, 199K)

>Yea Forums faggot is butthurt over being shown wrong so he tried to derail the thread by spamming his waifu
Fuck off you don't even read comics

This is my current desktop actually.

Attached: 1552039613056.jpg (2560x1440, 1.93M)

That was a deliberate (serious) decision by Alan Moore. He wondered what genre of comic books would be popular in an America that already had real-life superheroes and decided on pirates.

Considering One Piece's popularity, made pirates really are the most popular thing after superheroes.

>made
maybe*

Pirates where popular for years before One Piece existed you tit. The book this thread is loosely based on came out in 1882

Which pirate comics were selling well enough to get into the Guinness book of world records though?

>TFW no Dune/Treasure Planet crossover

Source?

Pirate stories predate the guineas book of world records.

DominancE. It's untranslated hentai VN.

Attached: dominance1920_1200.jpg (1920x1200, 1.85M)

>someone animating Dune according to Moebius' storyboards
Now that would be something.

Is that a space elf?

Attached: lafiel.jpg (1267x1800, 2.17M)

Dude read Prophet.

Attached: Prophet.jpg (585x900, 360K)

>cool ass ship design
>hentai
Thanks Japan

That particular author puts crazy ass effort into background art and weird details like food and cars.

Attached: Cool stuff.png (1104x689, 1.73M)

The higher ups are afraid the employees will lean on them.

Unironically has his priorities straight then. Space needs really cool backgrounds and shit.
I don't want to just pretend to bang the space gril, I want to do so while looking out the window at cool space stuff.

If you have time to lean you have time to oppress and conquer the galaxy.

I recognize that knife

Attached: spetsnaz-machete2.jpg (624x171, 13K)

Sadly it will never be translated.

Attached: bg17a.jpg (1024x768, 136K)

I like how he's animated

F
You got a source for the collected backgrounds and stuff? As said, cool stuff

Does anyone has the pdf to share ?

Attached: 51YQtWxH2NL.jpg (500x406, 40K)

Most works from the 80s through mid-90s fit the cassette futurism aesthetic.

There is a ton of space stuff in the early Silver Age unrelated to superheroes.

Cogfop is the stereotypical image of steampunk, a bunch of people in something vaguely resembling upperclass Victorian clothing with a bunch of brass bits glued on.

Don't make me suffer user. It's too pure for a Hollywood adaptation.

They were in the torrent I downloaded years ago, but you've got a name (DominancE, artist Sei Shoujo, company Empress) to look for.

We /coolship/ in here?

Attached: Cool ship.jpg (1600x1045, 1.33M)

What the fuck is your problem? Valiant is capeshit. It always had been. Back in the 90s they tried a few tricks that were unique compared to DC and Marvel, but even then it was just capeshit.

Fuck off back to Yea Forums faggot
Nobody cares about your porn games and your waifu shit

youtube.com/watch?v=X9Hrq9dzNSs

Attached: 1521327289580.gif (245x210, 1.84M)

Mate, you are one fucking retarded fanboy.

Show me the fucking weebshit that can inspire the sense of awe this image gives you, I FUCKING dare you.

Attached: space flight.jpg (1300x1975, 410K)

>same Poser model copypasted for four panels
Am I being baited?
You know what, for the sake of my sanity I'll assume I am.
Still not sure why you expect me to pull something Japanese out of my ass, as if anyone who criticized your shitty 'murrican comic brand had to be an expert in that stuff.

Dies any Disney movie have a better ending than this?

Attached: Dance.png (1562x714, 1.68M)

is this ths singlemotherraised anthem? i didnt need this feels today

Attached: 1556604476885.png (300x300, 123K)

Thanks for the memories

Attached: 1510708725081.png (900x1200, 1022K)

>singlemotherraised anthem
I went to see this movie with my mom...

Attached: Avenge me Jim-ba.png (1824x1080, 1.15M)

Forget about weebs, post Treasure Planet.

Attached: Awe.gif (500x300, 500K)

Like shit nigga look at this
How can anyone in the setting of this movie just chill on their home worlds when they could go to space and see shit like this on a regular basis
No wonder Jim's dad left him

Attached: Nebulae.png (1920x1080, 3.67M)

The "Moon is actually a space station" reveal blew my mind back in the day. Still one of my favorite transitions.

Attached: Crescentia.jpg (1920x1080, 185K)

Attached: That's no moon.png (1280x720, 855K)

I watched it with my mom too

Attached: 1527253252216.png (448x478, 398K)

Crescentia is a top tier location.

dont be sad bros

Attached: always.jpg (744x359, 89K)

Not exactly steam or gaslight but if you want scifi with an age of sail aesthetic and literal space pirates, try Swords Of The Swashbucklers.

Attached: swashbucklers.jpg (575x884, 262K)

Good taste.
I suppose there is Spelljammer and some of the things mentioned above. But not a whole lot.
Source on the comic?

Question, do you have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome? or is it morbid curiosity to see how bad things can still get?

>I suppose there is Spelljammer and some of the things mentioned above.
I wouldn't count Spelljammer, really. Besides literal space ships it's generic D&D-style fantasy.

It's on RCO. Apparently Dynamite just released a collected edition last year.

True, but it's just a hop, skip and a jump from there to Burroughsian planetary romance.

Incidentally,
GOTG has always suffered from cross-contamination but Starlord started out as relatively pure science-fantasy. The special done by John Byrne in particular fits well with the preferred theme here.

How about Starman?

Attached: Starman rocket.jpg (1600x1230, 488K)

Attached: Starman rocket 2.jpg (1600x1230, 573K)

Fair point.

Oh hang on is it just named Swashbucklers?

Uhh...

Attached: Brunhild.png (700x375, 343K)

>doggospeak
kill yourself, worthless worm

>Fuck it, I'm gonna make my own, and then never actually make it because I lack ambition.
Dude you need to make it I need this

Attached: The Trench.png (1280x1161, 3.35M)

Based series but it focuses on Space stuff only with Gavyn right? It was more about legacy and taking up a mantle than a straight up Space Opera.

Giant ocean planets with fauna to match are great shit.

The space arc did take up a couple trades though and if you ask me they were mighty fine space opera.

The only place I can get that is in Subnautica though.

Swords Of The Swashbucklers. Had to change the file name from a string of numbers and letters to something I could actually find.

Just posting some more cool ships.

Attached: Metabaronsship.jpg (896x750, 612K)

Attached: Metabarons ship.png (748x688, 959K)

I agree but I loved the tail-end of the series more, y'know that whole Mist and Culp situation? God, Starman is one of the few cape books that hasn't been tarnished by editorial crap, it was absolutely satisfying from start to finish.

Attached: Hereafter.jpg (961x455, 131K)

Yeah the best parts of Starman were the "everything comes together" feel with Culp and then the 1951 reveal.
My absolute favorite time-loop.

Something I never understood is that people love space, but find the ocean boring. This is instantly baffling because the ocean actually has stuff in it. Even our own world's oceans in real life have not been fully explored, and every time progress is made, we find some really weird shit down there.

Subnautica looks neat, like it could scratch my exploration itch.

... Goddamn, I would kill for a Metroid game on an ocean planet.

you giving me ptsd from the potential DC destroyed with drowned earth

Attached: 1542420249217.png (309x323, 181K)

DC has multiple drowned earth/ water worlds right?

yes, but they all dead and we didnt see nothing of the worlds, because poseidon/gods are dumb and the usual DC crap you familiar with,a idea that could fuel Aquaman books for yrs, now in the trash. cause Arthur need more tats and look more like his DCU actor

Thanks

Well it's a good game at least.

Ocean worlds are sort of a staple though aren't they? I think they're neat at least, it lends itself to this sort of megafauna and just general odd stuff.

>not even calling him robotnik
poser

i like that his dad just left instead of being a great guy and dying. interesting twist.

i'd say there aren't as many pirate stories as there should be because they are very high budget to make, you have to buy a ship and put it in the ocean and everything.

thanks

reminder that disney execs asked them to cut a line that suggested doppler gave birth to their babies

You should check out Crusher Joe if you haven't

Attached: Crusher Joe [BD-rip 960x720 x264 FLAC] .mkv_snapshot_00.52.53_[2019.05.17_02.24.20].jpg (960x720, 135K)

The Outer Dark literally just finished it's first arc numbskull

I was rewatching some Futurama episodes lately and it really got me thinking about a sci fi series based around a galactic mail service but not treated like a joke or an aside. Sort of like a cosmic pony express where it's handlers would have to travel through dangerous space to deliver important items and information.

I guess the biggest hurdle is the necessity for information exchange physically but you can always BS some excuse as to why radio transmissions and the like could be blocked I suppose but I'd probably still stick with physical items like organ transplants and the like I think.

Attached: Planet_express.png (1000x942, 155K)

It wasn't that good to be honest, I remember spamming Jester's AOE attack to end fights ASAP just to avoid micromanaging the party members health and shit.

some episodes of firefly are kind of like that, but with smuggled goods. i don't think there's one about a lawful agency. in fact most big galactic agencies are kind of evil.

Ev'ry single morning, you will hear me yell
"Hey, Central, fix me up along the line"
He connects me with my honey, then I rings the bell
And this is what I say to baby-mine

Hello, ma baby! Hello, ma honey!
Hello, ma ragtime gal!
Send me a kiss by wire
Baby, my heart's on fire

Attached: 1557513737190.png (1741x997, 1.59M)

It just feels like there's no real middle ground between galactic federation wank and rebel outlaw anti heroes. It's just one extreme or another.

Well it doesn't have to be that way if you make your own stuff up.

That would be fun.

Ah yes, a fellow patrician of the more refined arts

Ive been hammering away at the idea for a bit but I don't think I have it in me to write all the sci fi minutia. For the moment I should just try and power through and go back and pepper in the details later I suppose.

I can't offer much advice, I'm only started with some woldbuilding autism recently and my writing skill is almost nonexistant. Seems like a decent enough approach though.
It depends on what sort of sci-fi or space thing you want to go for I imagine.

>anime hasn't been producing a whole lot in recent years either. It's been mostly shitty LN advertisements and isekai shit for years
This is the popular outsider perception, yeah. But why do outsiders always think they have their finger on the pulse of the anime industry? They miss 99% of what gets produced.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] SSSS.Gridman - 08 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_06.24_[2018.11.26_18.57.28].jpg (1920x1080, 172K)

Gridman does not represent the 99 percent. If anything IT'S the outlier and that same logic works backwards to.

Nothing in anime represents the 99%, because the 99% is all over the place. Sarazanmai, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Cinderella Nine, Carole & Tuesday, Hitoribocchi and Bungou Stray Dogs are all very different.

Sci fi bump

>17 years after the release of Treasure planet, gaslamp space opera still isn't a thing

It is if you don't mind going hard grimdark.

Attached: space_pirate_captain_harlock_by_reverie_drawingly_d363h76-fullview.jpg (1024x811, 228K)

I remember liking the space trains

Treasure Planet was kinda shitty
Atlants is where it's at

space pirate hardcock is regular space opera >:(

So what exactly was the etherium? Some sort of space sea where space animals like those whales in one scene could thrive?

how do you even understand the concept of breathing well enough to keep yourself alive when the amount of braincells you have is this fucking small

it's basically a breathable atmosphere that permeates throughout the galaxy, though its unkown whether the entire galaxy is part of the etherium.

also winds blow through it for some reason,

based dramatic winds for high seas flavour

Makes me wish that space shanties were more of a thing
youtu.be/MDXfQTD_rgQ?t=55s

>also winds blow through it for some reason,

You say that like it's less crazy than a breathable atmosphere in space.

Does the Yamato theme count?

Sure!

Attached: AIRTRAINfinals (1).png (1833x1050, 1.13M)

Man, not exactly the Galaxy Express is it.

youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4

youtube.com/watch?v=fNdMC6_eUGk

Nice.

The what?

I think he means Outer Darkness by image

>Subnautica looks neat
Yes, yes it is neat. Go play it completely blind and don't look anything up about it, thank me later.

This is in the same tier as that one kid who told about Bionicle to some New Age prophet and the kid was thought to be an incarnation of Mata Nui

Bionicle is a real religion now? Where do I sign up?

source is Requiem vampire knight

Attached: RCO044_1477108550.jpg (2217x3056, 2.44M)

Explain to me why a story about a vampire knight features such material.

It takes place in death metal hell.

Explain to me why it shouldn't.

Fair enough.

>all those steam powered planes and tanks of World War One.

I recognize that design.

Attached: 'From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon'_by_Henri_de_Montaut_31.jpg (482x733, 158K)

This except switch Atlantis and Treasure Planet around

This except both were great.

Sex with her must be a gripping experience.
But any man who falls for her is a sucker.

>dude posing for 4 panels
very impressive

Attached: 6d47ead23e00c83d6465b896480727ad.jpg (600x911, 94K)

this guy gets it

this guy doesn't

Attached: bzKgXQEuZP_ipad.png (1189x800, 1.77M)

yeah, and the diesel engine was invented in the late 19th century. you tryin to tell me that deisel punk starts in the victorian era??

besides, planes were barely even useful in war when ww1 started (didnt even have guns attached to them), and tanks hadnt been invented yet

Don't give them money.

>(especially the assumption default assumption that it was Victorian Britain)
It still baffles me how steampunk wild west never caught on. Two great tastes that taste great together.

I want an Aquaman RPG. Imagine all the crazy adventures you could have in DC's oceans.

>castle in the sky
You don't mean Laputa, do you? Because it's not steampunk.

Attached: Laputa.jpg (960x600, 89K)

I wish we could get more retro-future stuff in general.

Especially in vidya. A flash gordon game would kick ass.

Wild Wild West killed the idea in hollywood, and if an idea is dead in hollywood that shit carries over to other mediums

Fucking shame, I tell ya. Steampunk western has so much potential that they never capitalize on.

Imagine the crazy ass guns you could make.

Hollywood casts undue shadows across other mediums via the finance executives who ooze in from it into other media.

they state their preconceptions as facts and care little for video games, TV shows, etc. steampunk does fine in novels and comics but its something not often used precisely because there's a perception of it being played out.

Attached: miyako-mya-nee-hoshino-today-at-4-20am-o-want-to-die-45656646.png (499x268, 131K)

are you saying that because you think it's dieselpunk or because you think its neither of them.

It's something else entirely, is my point. It's got elements of both, along with straight up fantasy.

I can't believe people still think this was real and not one huge bait for (you)s

I really wish people tossed around PUNK realize that there's more to it than just flavor aesthetic. The Cyber/Steam/Future whatever is clear but the PUNK part is important too. It's about anarchic rebellion and going against greater powers as a form of personal and youthful expression.

What’s your opinion on solarpunk? Not that there’s many official examples

I can't say I'm familiar enough with the genre to say anything.

Technology+Environmentalism=Solarpunk

Think Miyazaki films, or the good futures in Sonic CD.

i hope it's real. i hope somewhere there is a man who will make bionic pirate arms for us all when the time comes.

Someone did. And his name JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES CAMEEEEEERON THE GREATEST PIONEER!

openbionics.com/alita/

Attached: 1198742815063.jpg (916x738, 85K)

>planes were barely even useful
>reconnaissance of enemy troops
>spotting for the imperial fuckton of artillery behind the lines
not much was useful when WWI started, everyone was still treating it like a 19th century war

>spends all his time REEEEEEEEing about Romans
>his ginger waifu cucks him with a nigger
God, I hated this book. I was promised a cool sci-fi epic, not Greg Lansky's leftovers.

>ginger waifu cucks him
Is that really XO Manowar? Please no.

What if you DON'T like the "Punk" part though?

Then why would you bother?

Then you can just watch any number of the federation wanking sci fi stories out there. My whole point was that people should stop tossing PUNK at the end of things thinking that it makes it a genre.

Yup. I tried the Matt Kindt volume from 2017 or 2018 or whatever. I bought if from the first issue. He spends the whole time moppying and going "muh Romans", to the point where I thought I was watching Spartacus, where Romans are Ancient Nazis. Anyhow, Aric has set up a small reservation, and that was from the original Reboot Volume, and there's a nigger there for some reason (I didn't read that). He comes back home, he finds his ginger ex-wife (they had a son who died), having married the sole nigger in the village, having a mutt in her arms, and he just tells them to be happy and fucks off to space to REEEEE about Romans some more.

Don't get me wrong, the sci-fi elements were great, and in the beginning it was a very enjoyable book. But like Ninjak's second volume, it lost what made it work as time went on. Ninjak went full Deadside and Cosmic Robots, and X-O just lost itself in the flashbacks about "muh Romanz". Between that and the Spartacus show, I can't count how many times I thought to myself "muh Romanz".

without a grim city filled with teeming lowlifes embittered by the system, cyberpunk is just regular sci fi, surely?

But Aric is an ancient warrior. Shouldn't he be extra disgusted and kill the nigger? Fuck.

Nah, the nigger became his brother in arms and best friend on Earth. Like I said, he goes on and on about "muh Romanz", then is okay with the nigger taking over command of his people (the whole thing was like a reservation he built for the Visigoths that came with him from the ship where he got Sanhara, the armor) and fucking his ex-wife. It was like somebody tried to make the most cucked scene possible. The Germanic is angry at the Meds, but is bros with the nigger, gives him command of his people and the ginger gets niggered as he bows and gives them his wishes. It's baffling. I dropped my subscription after that issue. It was between 14 and 19 or something, I think.

It's the same with Spartacus. The slaves are all bros, most are homos, Spartacus lectures Varro on how he needs to take care of his wife's son (yes, literally), there are nigger Romans everywhere, but they treat all Romans as Ancient Nazis. It's an entertaining show, but it's no Rome. Hell, Da Vinci's Demons was less cucked, beleive it or not (there's only one nog, who betrays everyone, and the coalburner gets crucified). Black Sails was of surprisingly high quality considering Starz, really.

Cyberpunk IS:
>Commentary on relationship between man and technology.
>The use of technology to manipulate and control.
>Radical change or break down in the social order.
Cyberpunk IS NOT (but can include):
>Blade Runner asethetics (neon lights, rain, droning synth music)
>Inherently dystopian
>Cyborgs, cyborgs, cyborgs!
>Megacorporations
>VR internet (The 'Net, The Matrix, The Metaverse, OASIS, etc.)
>"Muh '80s" wank
>Synthwave/retrowave

In essence, it's the old mantra: "high tech, low life". The usual trappings can come after or not come at all.

Attached: zLLsC12.jpg (1229x1229, 322K)

> everyone was still treating it like a 19th century war

yeah its almost like they were still in the fucking steam era

Because I wanna see a cool cyborg assassin working for the most filthy rich people in that setting. I can enjoy Billions, which is about current-day billionaires. Why not cyborg billionaires?
>Then you can just watch any number of the federation wanking sci fi stories out there.
Eh, those go way too far out with Sci-Fi. I liked Cyberpunk because it was a "close future" type of deal, but I wanted to learn about more people than just the lowlifes. I wanted to see the top. Anyway, I'm not a huge fan or whatever, so maybe I'm using the term wrong.
>My whole point was that people should stop tossing PUNK at the end of things thinking that it makes it a genre.
I guess that's true.
Maybe? I'm not well-versed enough in the tags and genres to be able to draw the lines.

well, i don't know if i'd describe batman beyond's gotham that way, and that shit is definetly cyberpunk

Sounds like you're just obsessed with aesthetics. Most cyberpunk stories focus on the lowlifes because, surprise, that's what the "-punk" suffix is there for. Your average cyberpunk protagonist is an outcast, marginalized by society, often disillusioned. It's the originator of the "-punk" and the only sub-genre that has a right to hold on to it, in my opinion. You want a Hideo when most stories revolve around a Case.

>I'm not well-versed enough in the tags and genres to be able to draw the lines.
There's nothing to be versed in. The distinction between PUNK and regular anything is very clear. To be cyberpunk you need to actually be you know punk.

Yeah, but I'm saying, I want to see a "near-future" IP about cyborgs and such, but from the POV of the Top Dogs. Is that another genre, called CyberRich or something? I'm not talking about some Sci-Fi millitary, just Succession or Ballers or Entourage or whatever, set in a Cyber-Whatever, world. I get that it's not CyberPUNK, but what's that called?

Try Ghost in the Shell then, you ninny. I can't believe you haven't heard of that by now.

>Sounds like you're just obsessed with aesthetics.
This is why so much speculative fiction has gone down the tube. People are more interested in the "look" of things and only ever take away the superficial elements, so we're stuck with a bunch of posers who think jargon, neo lights and grunge rock are all it takes to be a cyber punk fan and never actually bother to experience anything outside maybe the matrix.

Here's problem 2. Not everything needs a term to be neatly cataloged under. I get what you're saying, and it's fine to like that kind of thing but attaching genre labels is only ever missing the point.

Attached: mehkoto.jpg (172x242, 24K)

To be frank, there's only so much mileage you can get out of youthful rebellion and defiance. I think keeping the cyberpunk view exclusively on that is quite limiting.

>This is why so much speculative fiction has gone down the tube.
Exactly. I love cyberpunk as a genre, but it's sad that people are still stuck on Neuromancer and Blade Runner. I'm hyped for CP2077 but I know it's going to continue the line of thinking that the sub-genre can be only one thing or have one look. Black Mirror and Mr. Robot tries to be cyberpunk for the Now, but it's not enough.

I agree, but at the same time we shouldn't lose the rebellious aspect entirely.

Attached: TinyMotokoLargeBeer.png (956x1036, 788K)

I haven't watched a lot of anime. Just Eva and Cowboy Bebop. I'll try a few episodes, I guess.
>I get what you're saying, and it's fine to like that kind of thing but attaching genre labels is only ever missing the point.
I'm not attaching labels, I'm just asking if there's any media out there with the POV I mentioned. I like reading about/watching rich people, because I have the American mindset of the "temporarily embarassed millionaire", and my granny was a posh from a disgraced family, so I've got such unresolved issues...

Weird question, but is there anything with Cyber Knights? Like Game Of Thrones, but set in a world with advanced tech and the like. I guess something like the Old Republic era of Star Wars.

Honestly, I'd say the real appeal to me with Cyberpunk is the High Tech, Low Life thing. But not in the "rah rah fight the corps XD!" way.

I compare it to the old west, in that while there's these amazing innovations, in many ways people are living life comparable to peasants. There's constant fighting, nobody respects the laws, you have to fend for yourself. That kind of thing. It's sci fi with the safety off, where you gun down the guy mugging you instead of alerting the police bots.

Basically Star Wars in general, my man.

this is interesting. i thought all cyberpunk was noir flavored.

Yeah that's why they explicitly mention things running on steam power and boilers throughout the movie.
>the boilers under the museum
>the Ulysses is destroyed by a steam explosion from ocean water hitting the boilers
>Milo uses his boiler skills to fix one of the trucks

>Basically Star Wars in general, my man.
Yeah, but Star Wars is about Monks with Super-Powers. I'm looking for guys in AESTHETIC power armors bashing the hell out of each other with glorious swords. I know I'm basically saying "Star Wars without the Force" or "Warhammer 40K without the Chaos", but I'm looking for that "Medieval" vibe, you know? Ijust find it a bit weird that there's such little product for such a concept. Heck, even Sci-Fi magic is not found anywhere. I once wrote a small pitch for a Doctor Strange 2099 series, in one of the old Elseworlds/What Ifs/AUs threads.

Attached: 37cdc9bd144122a37e7e6b6d8378730b-700.jpg (934x700, 73K)

I'm not saying to be preachy, but if that sense of rebellion is lost then you remain with conformity. Even if your "Old West" example, there was a disrespect for the rule of law and authority.

Early /cyb/ works borrowed heavily from film noir, but not all cyberpunk is noir.

You gain brouzouf.

Attached: qz-kills-2017-01-13-roybatty.jpg (700x1050, 389K)

Say it "boo-jwah"

Attached: 1549017174118.jpg (703x703, 77K)

an untapped market the closest i can think of is Reinhardt from overwatch

i think it's called cattlepunk. never seen many stories in it though.

You'd like the Imperial Knights in star wars.

But the edgy "LOOK AT MY NEON HAIR AND CYBERTATTOOS XD" is conformity. I agree that the rule of law is disrespected is a key part, but it's not born out of pointless rebellion. It's because the law sucks and doesn't work, so people have to watch out for themselves. That's why I say it's comparable to the old west, because in cyberpunk your safety is YOUR job.

Attached: ImperialKnight.jpg (1632x2500, 2.14M)

>You gain brouzouf.
...What?
>an untapped market the closest i can think of is Reinhardt from overwatch
I know, right? Sci-Fi in general I'd say is pretty "untappped". It's just going in circles.
>You'd like the Imperial Knights in star wars.
Oh yeah, Crimson Empire. I have to read that at some point.

>...What?
EYE: Divine Cybermancy

>Oh yeah, Crimson Empire
Imperial Knights are actually from the Legacy series, but the parallels are there.

Attached: EYE.jpg (864x925, 130K)

>t's because the law sucks and doesn't work, so people have to watch out for themselves. That's why I say it's comparable to the old west, because in cyberpunk your safety is YOUR job.
I completely agree. Cyberpunk stories aren't about saving the world, they're about saving yourself. However, some cyberpunks take to a higher purpose. Some attack the corps, some steal from the wealthy and give to the poor in the slums. If you challenge the status quo through your actions, you're a rebel. If you challenge the status quo through the manipulation of technology, you're a cyberpunk.

My legs are okay.

Attached: eye.jpg (1024x768, 132K)

>EYE: Divine Cybermancy
Ah,I've heard of this. But it's got magic and shit too. I'm not really a fan of magic.
>Imperial Knights are actually from the Legacy series, but the parallels are there.
Ah, I see.

Well yes, I don't wholly disagree but, again, my point is still one of labels and the misuse thereof. If Cyberpunk only has so much mileage then it's fine to just to not make it if you don't have to an actual story that makes use of the themes. It feels like people want to make X genre before they even have the idea for the story kicking around in their head to start with. That's how you end up with shallow stories that only copy aesthetic and not merit.

Attached: Armitage.png (500x376, 267K)

I just think there's more stuff to do in the genre than glorified "HAHA TAKE THAT SHITTY AUTHORITY FIGURES/DAD" that people are mired in. Cyberpunk should be about individualism, yeah, but it's not because they're rebelling to rebel. It's because they have no choice.

Do you carry a gun into the gun-free zone to be edgy? No, you do it because nobody else gives a fuck and you gotta be protected. Do you seek out backstreet doctors to FUCK THE MAN, MAN? No, you do it because the waiting list is too fucking long for the real guy.

Basically punk born out of need rather than desire is what I'm after. The megacorps are bad, but they aren't grating or hostile openly. They just suck, the government sucks, and it's up to you to save your own goddamn life.

It's libertarian at it's finest.

>But it's got magic and shit too. I'm not really a fan of magic.
You don't HAVE to use your Psy powers, but it helps. You can just be a sword-wielding, gun-toting maniac of a Culter.
youtube.com/watch?v=AScCVzENcjs

The Cyberpunk (with a capital "C") universe is quite like that. Everyone's got a gun, everyone wears some article of bullet-proof clothing, the rich have Trauma Team on speed dial. But if you want to go further there's good old Snow Crash, the definitive an-cap wet dream. Then again, your average cyberpunk protagonist isn't out to save the world, like I said. Some have a higher cause, but most don't. Case buys a gun because he thinks someone is after him; Night City is a dangerous place.. At the end of the story he's still looking up at that sky, the one tuned to a dead channel, having no real accomplishments other than the fact that he made it out alive.

Attached: Case.jpg (1170x1655, 338K)

that sounds pretty noir to me

Attached: Léon Spilliaert (Be 1881-1946).jpg (714x745, 170K)

This movie has the same plot as Shrek if you think about it.

>"I've seen things, Jimbo. Seen things you people wouldn't believe. Light ships on fire off the shoulder of Crescentia. I watched laser balls glitter in the dark near the Triangular Gate. All those moments are going to be lost in time, like gold droubloons down the molten core of a explodin' Treasure Planet. Time to die."

Attached: Treasure Runner.jpg (1500x600, 254K)

Man, Hauer fucking made that movie.

This. He was perfect.

Attached: Roy.png (1280x528, 558K)

Blame Disney. They sent it out to die on purpose.

I'm trying to write something like that with the idea being that most things are teleported but some things aren't because of their delicate or irreducible components. Or because of the sentimental value of the object

Maybe the lines of communications are so monitored that it's unsafe to say anything valuable, lest one of the many hostile governments catch wind and terminate you.

Not him but HE WAS ALWAYS CALLED EGGMAN IN JAPAN YOU FUCKING SPERG

Transporters where one of the things I always felt just raised more questions than it helped resolve in Trek.

test

>Just like titian ae it's a boring film.
Wrong you fucking doublenigger

user this is the same realm as tile-pattern user and the likes of...uh, that super fan of the ape from "Sing" for god knows why.
It's hard to see the potential good side in this like you.

I cannot believe they fucking did that in XO. What the actual fuck were they thinking?

It'd be like a magical escaped colony of civil war era slaves ended up run by a white guy. Libs would fucking riot.

If FTL exists in the world then mail becomes the fastest way to get information across the universe again. It makes perfect sense that people wouldn't want to wait year for broadcast photons to cross the distances between starys when a ship can pop over with a crate full of thumb drives in a couple of days.

Cyberpunk's universe is probably the worst about the "everyone is destitute except for the corps" that crops in it far too many cyberpunk works. Half the problem with cyberpunk is that too few writers put much thought into a fleshed out setting, most of the settings would collapse economically if not for writer fiat. Also, it can't be mentioned enough that William Gibson, who coined "high tech, low life" has cyberpunk stories featuring the middle class.

It would've been more based if he took them with

I think it had almost everything to be a good movie. The worldbuilding was good, the antagonists were good and the cgi was good.
But it think they casted some really shit actors for the heroine and the dog guy.
Also, the flying boots thing just looked stupid.

Steampunk needs too much attention to detail to cap suspension of disbelief, to the point where it isn't even steampunk anymore.
The 2nd fucking post addressed this without realizing it
Why not put guard rails? If gravity/wind isn't an issue then why have walkways at all?
How are people even amassing goods to build fantastic inventions when every system of trade is a borderline-nonexistent clusterfuck?
WHY IS EVERY MOTHER FUCKER WEARING SOME LOOSE FITTING CLOAK/DRESS/SCARF/TOPHAT/DANGLING CHAIN BULLSHIT IN A WORLD OF CONSTANTLY MOVING UNREGULATED MACHINE PARTS?
Everything is a constant mess but somehow everyone is cool with that.
Despite somehow everyone being a genius in so many facets of life, NOBODY has any fucking clue how some ancient artifact of mysterious super power works or where it could possibly be located (but they swear they could totally figure it out if they got their hands on it).
>steampunk is the pinnacle of man-child fantasy

mathematically speaking, and in conjunction with my experience as a normie, it's likely that someone out there is actually this autistic

>There are nights when the winds of the Etherium, so inviting in their promise of flight and freedom, made one's spirit soar!

Attached: Tony_Jay.jpg (235x300, 47K)

Seems like Steampunk is the appeal of advanced levels of basic machinery, while Gaslight looks like its the appeal of, in TP terms, futuristic versions of Victorian era/~1800-1900's designs. Which can include electrical technologies, abnormal energy sources, and related stuff. I.e. the Solar Sails used on the ships in TP, but Based on what stuff looked like in the 1800-1900's.

I actually think Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis are individually pretty good actors. They just had zero chemistry whatsoever.

I find it weird how many science-fiction genres seem to be about ways of living in a world with high technology, but no mobile phones. Hell, even in FF7 Cloud needs it explained to him what a phone is.

Technological progress is extremely hard to predict and most classic sci-fi works were created well before the age of mobile phones.

I just find it funny really. Sort of like when Ellison pointed out that people predicted television, and going to the moon, but no one predicted watching going to the moon on television.

Yes, I read Neuromancer only last year and I also chuckled at the idea that people were still using payphones in a world where the matrix and rogue AIs are a thing.

Steampunk would be fine if it was kept to ground level. Things like locomotives and ships are all very grounded and realistic. Even the occasional zeppelin isn't too much of a stretch. The problem is that these assholes always have to push it so you got Tesla coils sticking out of toasters and everything is just plain gaudy.

>help i don't understand the concept of retrofuturism

sorry bud, if things have gotten to this point, then there probably isn't anyone who can help you understand except for yourself

We understand the concept fine, it's just retarded. CONCEPT isn't the same as execution. Anything can be good in concept.

>Star Trek series set in the far future has flip-top communicators
>guy watching it gets inspired to create flip-top cellphones
>cool and trendy when they first come out
>within a few years smartphones are everywhere and flip-tops have become completely passe
So it goes.

I'm genuinely curious to know if there's any form of sci-fi that you actually do enjoy. bonus points if you can name something that isn't near-future sci-fi

I have the VHS

Just because I dislike a lot of obvious crap doesn't mean I hate the genre.

There's a very low-quality and illegible pdf version in existence. The better alternative is an Imgur post that has higher-quality scans. That thing's simple enough to find on google.

Attached: 023.jpg (1280x986, 448K)

i love steampunk but this has some good points

just having functioning jetpacks would overhaul women's dress codes, for starters

main problem with treasure planet was jim's busted-ass face

i was lazy imgur.com/a/jWuhc

Attached: jim hawkins redesign.jpg (1199x594, 95K)

Attached: jim hawkins original.jpg (1200x711, 59K)

He cute.

I was trying to wrack my brain over remembering what the anime version of treasure planet was but then I just realized I was just thinking about the kid from Outlaw Star.

Tbqh that plot sounds generic as fuck.

The story more than made up for it but he was cute.

Attached: Jim.Hawkins.full.1852488.jpg (1024x966, 126K)