What is explanation on PRE-CRISIS Superamn Earth-1 (and Earth-2 if you mind) ability to fly?

I recon it wasn't "his bio electric stastic field defies gravitons" or something like that, that came after Crisis.
But maybe I am wrong.

Attached: Superman Earth 1.jpg (425x453, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

elliot.maggin.com/BlogPost.cfm?BlogID=47
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

He's just jumping really high

But how is he hovering?

bump again

Super breath out of his ass

Pixie dust.

cmon guys

user, it doesn't matter how he flies. He's Superman, so he fucking flies.

It matters to me how they explain it in comics.

I find it hilarious that Byrne kept saying how Moore ruined comics, but just copy pasted his explanation of Superman's powers from Moore's Miracleman.

DC was never as big on trying to give a realistic explanation for powers (Compare the old Marvel handbooks vs. DC's Whos Who), but it was generally said that Earth's lesser gravity gave him the ability to 'push' himself into flight. It was a skill the Silver Age Superman had to learn to control as Superboy and Pa Kent helped him train with it.

Later of course more people began to say 'gravity doesn't work like that' and thats when "uhhh YELLOW sun" began to be a generic catch all excuse to explain his powers.

Why?

I think you came from here.
And this magazine was responsible for DC hiring Byrne and reformulating Superman

Attached: -6316327324613918792.jpg (695x1000, 227K)

Superman's mass is the equivalent of a small planet and that's how he can hover in the air.

He flies/jets out after hovering/standing still in the air by reducing his mass. Doing this allows his to spring foward.

This was the explaination I read a year ago.

Also the human body has tiny microscopic machines inside I cells that can store energy. This is why bodybuilders uses creatine because it can move those tiny machines which in turn produces energy and muscles. This can also be use as an explaination on how Superman can use the sun to store energy and use his powers.

It shouldn't.

>Byrne
problematic grandpa

Yeah, but what about flying in space?

>DC was never as big on trying to give a realistic explanation for powers
not really, OG Supes had pretty realistic and logical explanation

Attached: original Superman's powers explanation in original Superman #1.jpg (1100x1522, 265K)

>autist
haven't you ever heard of fart powered propulsion?

fuck off with your autism spam.

numo

Earth has a weaker gravity than Krypton therefore he can fly.

Attached: 135.png (680x680, 124K)

fuck off

Earth-Two was technically "Krypton had really high gravity so Earth gravity is so light to them that they can fly", which is about the level of scientific understanding you could expect a bunch of Jewish nerds to have in the 1930's.

On Earth-One and all future versions, Kryptonians can fly because they just can. That bioelectric field thing was ignored by everyone except for the writers of the 90's Superboy comic who ran with it for their character.

If you're looking for a real explanation, there just isn't one and you're never going to get one because there is no way to explain Superman that fits in with even the most fringe of pseudo science while still lining up with what's shown in the comics.

Just equate "solar radiation" with other concepts that are used to explain away things that are scientifically impossible like Pym particles, unstable molecules, white dwarf star lenses and the Speed Force.

I understand, but I just wanted to get explanation.

And Earth 2 flew too

I remember in issue with Brainiac it was explained like that and also remember origin of Earth 1 one with baloons, what user >Superboy and Pa Kent helped him train with it.
said

I am just thinking that there should be something in Bronze Age i.e. 70-80's

Attached: Or else.jpg (3000x2100, 255K)

>I am just thinking that there should be something in Bronze Age i.e. 70-80's
t. Marv Wolfman

I'd be moderately amused to watch an edit of Aquaman where all the underwater propulsion is audible braps.

There really is no "logical" explanation. When Byrne did his revamp I remember a scene (drawn by either Byrne or Jerry Ordway) where even Superman is puzzled by it. He realizes that he can lift things when he's flying that he can't manage by his muscles along. He makes a mental note to investigate his powers when he's not in the middle of a pitched battle.
Maybe they eventually ascribed it to telekinesis. That would also explain how he can lift an ocean liner or a skyscraper without it crumbling.

Lex Luthor attributed it to "anti-gravity mesh" in his skin.

The REAL explanation is that all that leaping looked awkward in the Fleisher cartoons so they gave him the power of flight.

elliot.maggin.com/BlogPost.cfm?BlogID=47

Didn't the Who's Who of DC or something at the time explain it as him having a flight organ?