Heard this show was amazing, should I pick up the blu-ray set?

Heard this show was amazing, should I pick up the blu-ray set?

Attached: f454f.jpg (342x426, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notonbluray.com/blog/batman-the-animated-series-2018-blu-ray-vs-2004-dvds/
youtube.com/watch?v=NX7VbERbDYg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah sure why not

No - while not as overrated as TAS, it's not really worth buying, when you can find nice HD rips of it on line, especially now that everyone and his grandma is ripping off DC Universe

what is TAS? Is this not TAS? I know virtually nothing of the superhero shows!

That's literally TAS

>TAS
>Not as overrated as TAS
What the fuck is going on?

Get a free Trial to DC universe with a throw away email. Browse around the ones they have there (start with your pic related or jump right into Justice League if you want). Trial runs out, sign up with a new throw away email. Rinse and repeat unless you want to support them by getting an actual sub. Better spent that buying disks.

TAS stands for the animated series, that user has no idea what they're talking about. BTAS is commonly used to refer to the very show you've posted.

OP's pic is Batman The Animated Series; the one from the 90s that everyone loves. It also includes all the episodes of the sequel series, The New Batman Adventures, and two of the three movies (Mask of the Phantasm and Sub-Zero, but not Mystery of the Batwoman because everyone who made that film is embarrassed by it and they prefer not to acknowledge it).

The good episodes are really good and should be watched by every superhero/animation fan, but there's a lot of mediocre and awful episodes.

>The good episodes are really good and should be watched by every superhero/animation fan, but there's a lot of mediocre and awful episodes.

This is the reasonable reply. The good episodes are stellar, but there are WAY more forgettable and even bad episodes than people like to admit. And the animation is like Tiny Toons levels of inconsistent from episode to episode, depending on which overseas studio is doing what. Sometimes you get something amazing looking like "Feat of Clay part 2" and sometimes you get bafflingly incompetent shit, like "Day of the Samurai". And for as intelligent as many of the scripts are, some episodes are ridiculously stupid, like the one where Catwoman gets mutated into a furry.

It's a very good show, but don't let anyone preach to you that it's flawless. You're gonna find some laughably bad stuff in there; it isn't nonstop quality like the worshippers would have you believe.

The show is worth it OP. Do it.

i heard they messed with the colors in the blu ray release and that the dvds are better. i don't have it so i can't confirm, but it's something that happens with a lot of cartoon releases.

Ok it's settled, I'm picking it up. Anyone know why its bluray released was just a few months ago? I wanted to get into more animated stuff with Xmen being next but thats not on bluray. I would think super hero stuff would be absolutely hot on the press for a blu ray set.

WB had done a complete series set on DVD just a year or two prior and likely didn't want to undercut those sales by immediately releasing a superior blu ray set.

This namefag is right. A lot of BluRay remasters tend to be worse, especially the one done by Disney.
Do some research.

So what did they do with the colors that fucked it up? Did they turn up the brightness?

My understanding was that they restored the episodes from the original film masters so that it was true HD and not just a filtered upscale from the SD video masters.

it's on Amazon Prime too.

>My understanding was that they restored the episodes from the original film masters so that it was true HD and not just a filtered upscale from the SD video masters.
I am just allergic to "Remaster" buzzword

Some quick research:
notonbluray.com/blog/batman-the-animated-series-2018-blu-ray-vs-2004-dvds/
That would confirm your understanding.
youtube.com/watch?v=NX7VbERbDYg

it used to be but i don't think it is anymore

Oof. Yeah, they cranked that brightness WAY up on the blu rays. You're seeing all sorts of line details you were never supposed to, now.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1278x715, 88K)

whoops. idk when it left prime then. it's $2/episode on Amazon now.

>It is my understanding is that the series was shot on film, then telecine-d to video tape, during the telecine color corrections were applied, and brightness levels adjusted –

That explains it, then. The series was shot on film, but the brightness and color mastering was done on video. The blu rays are sourced from the film negatives, so they don't have the proper brightness and color mastering.

While it's certainly kinda… "neat" to get to see all those animation and art details that had previously been impossible to see, the fact of the matter is you WEREN'T supposed to see them. The colors were the way they were for a reason and the shadows were heavier in certain scenes for purposes of mood. The blu ray version takes all that away and the show looks very... sterile. I think I'll stick with my old DVDs.

oh that's ugly. who fucking takes the darkness out of a batman cartoon?

>still has the faggy ass hitflashes

NOPE, ILL PASS IT, what pussies.

Attached: Arkham.png (1440x1080, 1.73M)

>Bluray is a shit compressed fuck framerate clip
>broadcast is shit freefake program capture

Nice comparison sperg, as for the colors being different, welp they had some blues, big deal.

people could work on a color corrected version of the bluray's you know. the DVD's werent of great quality because of the analog video transfers and bad DVD transfering.

No the faggots took it off.

Is this the series where Batman finally rapes the joker?

Someone else did it.

Attached: Joker and Charlie03.png (1440x1080, 1.53M)

Anyone know how the quality of the Blu-ray is

>TAS is not as overrated as TAS
What the fuck?

>Anyone know how the quality of the Blu-ray is

See:
It's restored from the original film negatives so it looks really crisp, but it excludes the proper color and brightness mastering since that was done on video before broadcast, so a lot of the shadows are missing and some scenes look very bland/sterile.

well why did they draw them in if you're not supposed to see them