Villain kills own henchman

>Villain kills own henchman

what's your opinion about this cliche?

Attached: modok-war-of-super-2.jpg (497x424, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-b3wpQKnWuw
youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZIHo6jx-s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I prefer the 'Villain befriends his henchmen who turn out to be otherwise normal people' cliche.

A villain killing their own henchmen to show off how evil they are is bad writing.

Depends

>A VILLIAN killing Hench men for no reason other to show how evil they are?
No thanks
>A VILLIAN leaving his Henchmen behind to get captured/die so he can escape?
Yeah I fucks with it
>A VILLIAN who fucks his Henchmen wife/girlfriend/daughter to show him how much a cock craving slut she is?
Depends on the artist

Being a bad boss has consequences. You'll either create a Starscream who'll shoot you at your moment of weakness or the henchmen you've been abusing will flat out leave making things easier for the hero

Depends on the villain

Is there a story where this trope is used but the villain shows regret or hesitation?

Its usually pretty stupid, its not even intimidating since everyone kills the henchmen on both sides.

youtube.com/watch?v=-b3wpQKnWuw

Dunno but I'd love to some reality-ensuing consequences on the villain

If the henchman betrayed them then fair game. If the henchman just failed at something that's a waste of resources and destroys morale.

>Villain sees his henchmen as his employees and cares for their wellbeing and respects them.
This is great.

I'm fine with it, but most media sell it better if the henchman is able to fuck over the boss right before he actually dies. Like he presses a button that depowers him or whatever so the hero has a fighting chance.

This one is good too.

Love it. People hating on this trope act like this doesn't happen irl with criminal syndicates, terrorists and tyrannical govts.

What if the killed henchman was a really ambitious backstabber who was sowing the seeds of dissent in the villain's ranks?

It works best when it's used to show a villain as unstable. Like when Ratigan killed Fidget, but then immediately crashed because he had no one to steer while he pedaled.

Attached: 1555288872896.jpg (446x360, 31K)

Tyrannical governments, sure, but criminal and terrorist orgs definitely aren't dishing it out nearly as lightly as fictional villains. You'd have to fuck up HARD. Steal from the boss, fail an important job, sell the org out to the cops, fuck the boss' wife or daughter, shit like that.

I prefer
>villain has loyal henchmen kill bad henchman

99/100 times it is done poorly.

Every now and then it's done well to show the true power of the villain or the fanaticism of the henchmen. But usually it isnt, and just makes you think "why would anyone work for this chump?"

Enjoy this kino guys

Attached: 004.jpg (1400x840, 506K)

Attached: 005.jpg (700x840, 253K)

>Villain kills own henchman
Not with the unions that exist nowadays
>Villain enters apartment of own henchman and drinks all their milk leaving the empty gallon in the fridge, while moving things around, and raising the temperature of the unit.
D E V I L I S H

Attached: Naughty Dog.png (640x640, 575K)

Attached: 006.jpg (700x840, 256K)

It’d be best of all if the Hench saw it coming and beat his boss to the punch. Double secret humiliation is the best kind.

I always liked the idea of a villain and henchman relationship to start of as cruel but becoming close as friends later on.
Venture bros had a good one

Attached: 007.jpg (1400x840, 479K)

Attached: 008.jpg (700x840, 257K)

>th-the villain and his henchmen should be super best friends and watch TV and have sleepovers and talk about boys and and
Childish cucks.

You're not wrong, but honestly, there's too much of shit like

Attached: 009.jpg (700x840, 284K)

Attached: 010.jpg (1400x840, 443K)

Attached: 011.jpg (700x840, 291K)

Attached: 012.jpg (700x840, 284K)

Attached: 013.jpg (1400x840, 434K)

Attached: 014.jpg (700x840, 259K)

So why did the Black Major leave the disguised Baron alive? Wasn't his mission to kill everyone who witnessed the cavern? That would include the disguised Baron.

Attached: 015.jpg (700x840, 273K)

Attached: 016.jpg (1400x840, 481K)

Attached: 017.jpg (700x840, 291K)

Attached: 018.jpg (700x840, 257K)

The only time i've seen it done in recent times is with the vulture from homecoming.

No its just used as a way for the villain to establish his dominance, and to show how mentally unhinged they are.

But villains are like criminal syndicates ramped up to 11, and led by an insane person.

Attached: doom.png (670x919, 1.52M)

Bump

Vulture from Homecoming. He did it, but only because the guy threatened to go to the Police/the Avengers and even then the death was accidental, in the sense that he meant to use a weapon with less lethal results and got them mixed up.

Love it!

Attached: fart gun.png (243x281, 182K)

Its a tired cliche. I wanna see a villain be chill, respectul and even jokingly fuck around with his henchmen. So much theyd vouch for him or even die for him.

> I wanna see a villain be chill, respectul and even jokingly fuck around with his henchmen

Cobra Commander rarely did that

Attached: m127_09.jpg (590x902, 155K)

Attached: joker.jpg (500x749, 292K)

Absolute peak idiocy and waste of hands for work.

See

I think that I'd be talking to HR about this. It's not in my contract's disciplinary clause. I sure don't wanna wind up like Lennie, there.

Stay mad.
Outside of cases like it's just counter-productive.
Besides, the heroes get to use "Power of Friendship" bullshit, why not the villains?

You literally sound like that tumblr post telling authors to make "comfy", non-meanspirited, completely saccharine fiction so their works can avoid "gross shipping" from fans, except in this case you want the BAD guy to be pals with his underlings because you're lonely and want another friend simulator.

Unless the story is that the villain is an unstable madman and nobody ever wants to work for him after this story, you've got to earn it. If the villain is killing a henchman for failure, it has to be a big failure. If it's killing a disrespectful or treacherous henchman to keep the others in line, this needs to either be a plot that goes somewhere with the henchmen having enough and quitting, or the culmination of a plot where Starscream finally goes too far and gets his comeuppance.

If the henchmen are individual named characters, you can usually tell the same story with a villain who beats his henchmen, and not have to kill anyone off.

Somebody's projecting

Alright, manchild

>You literally sound like that tumblr post telling authors to make "comfy", non-meanspirited, completely saccharine fiction so their works can avoid "gross shipping" from fans, except in this case you want the BAD guy to be pals with his underlings because you're lonely and want another friend simulator.
Oh god no. That's the sort of issue I have with fanworks of certain characters Bowser. I'm not saying to always have "comfy" time all the time, but villains being affable with their henchmen won't kill them.
You know a good example of this sort of thing? Giovanni from the Pokemon games. We never SEE him do anything on-screen to specifically to the grunts until HGSS, but we know he cares for them since he feels he can't face them after losing to a kid 3 times. He even says he betrayed their trust. Meanwhile, in Gen II, the grunts overall goal is taking over the Radio Tower to call Giovanni to come back and lead the,. You can see that they have a bond, but they still do evil shit. And that sort of thing is more what I'm going for.

It sucks. People quit for a lot less in the real world.

That time Doctor Doom used a mind control ray to have his own henchman shoot himself on the head was pretty cool
It was during that time where comics were still cheesy but slowly getting edgier, so it was the first time we saw Doom doing something way more violent than usual.

I'm completely okay with it.

Like anything else, there are gonna be some instances of it that work better than others, but as a concept I have no problem with it.

Bump

It had to be done.

Attached: YOU FOOLS.jpg (243x281, 40K)

>henchman burns roast and disguises fast food as their own cooking
D E L I G H T F U L L Y
D E V I L I S H

The only time where this is okay is to cover up a conspiracy.

Torturing and humiliating henchmen is better

youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZIHo6jx-s

I'll accept it, but sometimes it can be kinda cliche and boring. If it's overdone, it can make me question why would any henchmen actually bother to work for the guy. It's more understandable if the bad guy works for a government institution (like Darth Vader or Dr. Doom) and people don't have much options other than submit to them since their word is the law. But if we're talking about criminal supervillains who need to hire other criminals to work for them, that shouldn't be easy if they keep killing their own guys for dumb reasons.

I suppose it's fine to kill one or two henchmen over some kind of really big fuck-up, insult, or treacherous act. Making an example out of them shows everyone else that the villain is capable of killing his of his own men, which will keep them on their toes and make them scared of disappointing him.

One character that's had a bunch of henchman-incidents is the Joker; he's killed some of his men over very flimsy reasons. I kinda liked the first few gags I read about it, but later I've felt it makes no sense for anyone to seek employment with him if he keeps doing these things.

Attached: sidney.jpg (1193x2284, 1.23M)

Attached: ron.jpg (1596x1270, 1.11M)

The following sequence I like, though.
Page 1/4

Attached: H-E-R-O 010 - A World Made of Glass 02 - 12.jpg (1024x1577, 426K)

Attached: H-E-R-O 010 - A World Made of Glass 02 - 13.jpg (1024x1593, 367K)

Attached: H-E-R-O 010 - A World Made of Glass 02 - 14.jpg (1024x1582, 389K)

These pages make me think I might prefer it if the villain toys with his henchmen and plays mindgames with them, but doesn't actually kill them.
But on the other hand, this sequence works mostly because the Joker already has a reputation for killing people. So some killing is probably still required.

Attached: H-E-R-O 010 - A World Made of Glass 02 - 15.jpg (1024x1603, 472K)

Platonic ideal
>Villain views most of his henchmen as untrustworthy and expendable employees, but only kills them for betraying him or dereliction of duty, not normal fuckups or simply failing to stop some super that could kill them as easily as opening a bottle of soda
>Villain has a few henchmen he trusts implicitly
>Villain has one henchman he trusts implicitly...to fuck him over the second he can get the upper hand, but be perfectly loyal until then, and simply makes use of his exceptional skillset while attempting to retain the upper hand so that he won't get back stabbed
>Villain's retirement policy is actual retirement, not a bullet in the back of the head

There's just not enough "villain as good boss" moments out there.

Attached: Muge Zalbados.jpg (519x3500, 376K)

Attached: cobra (2).jpg (981x635, 227K)

Yes, because comics are IRL. Never mind that it's a tired trope which only exists as a cheap way to paint a character as evil.

I came here to post this. Good on you.