THE STATE OF MODERN ANIMATION

Are we entering another dark age of animated movies like the 70s?

Attached: 2009 vs 2019.png (4048x1556, 2.94M)

At least japan is still making kino

Attached: E045C5DE-9739-4DD6-9EAB-EE3BB744A96A.jpg (2048x1970, 1.24M)

yep

TLM2 being left out is a nice touch. ;_;

Lion King is an achievement of modern animation tho

Dude powerpoints lmao

Addams family, missing link, detective pikachu, how to train your dragon. Not masterpieces necessarily but not hot garbage.

Attached: 220px-The_Addams_Family_(2019_film).png (220x275, 126K)

We've just had Spiderverse and Isle of Dogs, for instance. It's not THE STATE OF anything, you alarmist. At worst, it's a weak year.

And we're getting a new Tomm Moore film this year too, so that's nice.

Attached: wolfwalkers_b.jpg (1080x1440, 352K)

Also, Tales of Alethrion is coming back.

Ponyo is shit. If Earthsea didn’t exist it would be the worst Ghibli film.

what's the franchise with most sequels?

Attached: 83d48456c040dccec24f62e19d37607e543292a793b8359e6e6e9b44fea3e8de_1.jpg (750x664, 126K)

Agreed, I don't get the point of these threads. It's just people jerking themselves off on how they think animation is so bad nowadays unlike the past

This. It had a few good moments but overall was pretty fucking weak.

please don't tell me that a fucking ilya kushinov poster

Attached: 1534024806036.jpg (720x833, 27K)

Japan's not doing any better.
They have highschoolers plodding through meandering self-discovery or inconsequential diet-fantasy, and we have the Talking Dogs.

Attached: far out.gif (400x400, 534K)

It's an ilya movie, actually.

Attached: AS20190412001912_comm[1].jpg (660x371, 63K)

>playmobil the movie
>LET'S GET EPIC

Attached: 1442955623386.png (630x700, 165K)

>I joined Yea Forums when the movies in 2009 were nominated for Oscars
>I'm still here

Christ.

>came in after Avatar and Dark Knight shitposting died down but the dawn of Pony was among us

Seething.

retard alert

No. There's always bad movies every year, it's just easy to ignore the bad ones cuz they don't stick with you. Nobody talks about Hoodwinked or Norm of the North anymore cuz no one gives a shit.
And what is this image implying? That 2009 had good films? There was some fucking TRASH that came out in 2009. Hell Monsters vs. Aliens kinda sucks and Princess and the Frog was a flop as far as disney is concerned. I don't even know anyone who remembers that 9 movie.

haha it looks more like gesundheit

The worst thing about Yea Forums but especially media boards like Yea Forums Yea Forums and of course Yea Forums is this weird desire to have a shitfit over absolutly anything and everything.

A handful of mediocre movies coming out in a single year does not make it a fucking dark age you retard. Nor does longrunning shows declining and ending poorly (which they've always done)

This whole website needs to take a fucking chill pill

Attached: 1550537289874.png (297x247, 148K)

Anime has not produced one (1) film that can match the top ten American animated films, if not more
Seethe

Too bad it’s going to be an Apple TV exclusive.

Most Japanese movies I've watched kinda suffer from pacing issues. Like they throw you haphazardly into a fantastical world. Especially with the gap that Miyazaki left I feel like a lot of Japanese directors just don't really know how ease audiences into their story. It tends to feel overwrought with their symbolism sometimes it feels hard to really ground the stories and characters.

eat shit you stupid fucking niggerfaggot

No, one generic kid's movie does not equivocate to an impending "Dark Age" of animation.

Even the darkened color pallet on that image exudes capitalist despair.

There is a hope...

Attached: 3654F070-DDF2-4C90-AD6A-4A3AB3692F9A.jpg (1000x600, 133K)

Angel's Egg alone is better than anything Hollywood has produced in its entire existence, live action and animation included. Posts such as yours are a sign of not ignorance, but childish whining directed towards a creative and dynamic animation industry which towers over western animation like a collosus.

As a whole cartoons are dead, and liberalism and absence of straight white men in the industry has killed it. It's nothing but propaganda now and there's no coming back from that. Watching the new season of HSK has shattered any and all hope I've had for the future of western animation. It's over, done, finished and poisoned just like everything that comes out of Hollywood. It's time to cut our losses and move on.

It's not really about politics, it's more about people not shuting the fuck up about politics, which is common in america (both left and right). Also dont pretend american animation is the only animation, and pls stop watching bad shows

Attached: otiss.jpg (720x734, 42K)

every thread

Attached: 2010s western animation renaissance.jpg (960x2377, 1.02M)

I'm sorry, what's HSK?

>All that fucking blue

Don’t pretend like we’re in a renaissance bro. It’s nice that some of those movies exist (lot of padding in there of bullshit too) but we’re a far cry from 88-05.

I tried searching but only thing that comes up is a chinese exam

HSK would be a great cartoon without politics, but liberals can't do that. The second season is insane with this shit, there's even an ep where Dot explains mansplaining to Lotta. It hurts to watch, I feel wounded and defiled like something was taken from me. I think this show is the straw that broke my back so to speak, I just can't deal with, ignore and filter propaganda shit from cartoons anymore. I am so thoroughly disgusted and saddened that I really feel it's time to move on completely into anime only. And I was there when PPG was a What A Cartoon pilot, I was there when CN didn't have its own shows, I was there to see it all come to life. And now? Fuck. Fuck.

Harvey Street Kids.

Oh, Harvey Street Kids. My bad.

>Playmobil movie
I can't even believe that's real

I'm looking at both of these. I'm not a weeb, but hot holy fucknuggets on a sidewalk in July. I want to watch all the Nipnog anime movies over our own trash.

But shitfits are fun

Attached: 1528373547714.gif (500x288, 1.76M)

Attached: 1556929194642.jpg (1009x749, 159K)

>getting this mad at Harvey Street Kids
>getting this mad at american animation
>also being a fucking weeb
I hope you're a troll, and if not here's some tips bud:
1-go back to Yea Forums
2-watch hilda, wander over yonder or tangled the series (personal recommendations, any user is free to add more), none of them have politics i swear
3-i repeat: it's not about politics, it's about people not shuting the fuck up about politics
4-stop being a fag

>dude Disney is so fucking awful, I hate them so much
>my favorite time period of animation is a time in which western animation consisted of Disney, Ralph Bakshi's worst film, and one or two French movies, instead of the 2010s in which there is an over-abundance of independent and European animated films of high artistic integerity
What in the actual fuck do people like you mean by this?

Hardcore cherrypicking

IT'S A FUCKING SHITPOST THREAD, YOU ABSOLUTE TARDS! FOR FUCK'S SAKE, HE PUT FUCKING MONSTERS VS ALIENS IN THE OP PIC!

Yeah i know, but desu i like to scream to strangers

Attached: IMG_20190501_163452.jpg (680x419, 36K)