Webcomics Canon

Is there any mandatory reading of the webcomics medium?

Attached: webcomics.jpg (246x246, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blastwave-comic.com
youtube.com/watch?v=hFvknHMS79I
miss-melee.com/
sacredpie.com/main.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

homestuck

>Implying

There’s nothing to be gained reading that 5,000 strip heap of junk.

Questionable Content is a long running and progressive series that’s frequently featured in threads here. Dresden Codak is an influential and unique series that was ahead of its time.

>webcomics canon

that would imply academic interest and discussions, and that any webcomic of note actually gets finished.

Rice boy and or vatuu

Gone with the Blastwave.
blastwave-comic.com

Aren't those threads just mocking him for his lurching tone, unlikable characters, and general being shit?

stand still, hark a vagrant, achewood, anime club, smbc

not that user, but it's genuinely the most innovative use of the web format i've seen

even if you hate the execution (and after at some point it does become a shitshow) there's a lot to be learned by the way it blends images, text, video, music, and interactive elements

Those people are just from /pol.

>implying

youtube.com/watch?v=hFvknHMS79I

Academia is just starting now, user.

Pretty much this, but i'd also say that it's also a good place to learn how to not fuck up your webcomic.

I'd also recommend Romantically Apocalyptic if you like the gas mask post-apocalypse aesthetic.

Attached: captains-friend.jpg (899x512, 84K)

user is trolling and those comics are legit bad, specially Dresden Codak

I stopped reading that a long time ago. Didn't the Creator say that if you want to understand the plot, go to the comic's wiki?

I honestly don't know. I stopped reading it around the same time I stopped reading Blastwave.

I don't like Dresden Codak, and I'd never recommend someone read it, but I feel like overlooking it as an important part of the late '00s/early '10s webcomic landscape is a disservice to anyone who wanted to research the subject.

Debating reading homestuck in 2019, what am I in for/any advice?

From webtoons (the ones that I actually like):
>Sweet Home
>UnOrdinary
>I don't want this kind of hero

I would also like to suggest Gosu but that on an indefinite hiatus as the author is super sick.

Problem Sleuth would actually be a better read in the long run. Still rather innovative while being consistently good throughout.

>No love for Doctor McNinja

Good webcomic that was pretty funny, well-drawn and was finished; that makes it one in a million

Attached: DrMcNinja01.jpg (300x354, 90K)

miss-melee.com/

start at the earliest ones?

Attached: ARGON ZARK! Chapter 1 2019-05-12.png (526x353, 57K)

Attached: az01.jpg (640x477, 63K)

AZ started 1995, but there were earlier webcomics, such as T.H.E. Fox from 1986

Attached: gngrbred.gif (640x243, 41K)

When I am King from 2001 won the Best Use of the Digital Medium award in 2002

Attached: sequenz.001.2.gif (640x213, 18K)

Problem Sleuth and 8 Bit theater are the GOAT

sadly Homestuck is indeed the magnum opus of webcomics due to the fact its 8k pages 800k words 10+ albums of music a few "games" and over an hours worth of flash animation Homestuck surpassed every webcomic in terms of content and broke new groundsquite literally in the medium

>Is there any mandatory reading of the webcomics medium?

sacredpie.com/main.html

Attached: SACRED PIE!.png (602x630, 603K)

>mandatory reading
Not unless you're making an academic study, in which case I'd recommend also looking at works outside the anglosphere. The French went a different route with blog-type online comics, one example being bouletcorp. Also see Pepper & Carrot as a French attempt to "change comic industry" with open source, free and multi-langauge webcomics supported only by patrons. Pic related.

Attached: en_Pepper-and-Carrot_by-David-Revoy_E02P05.jpg (992x1373, 352K)

Kidd Radd

Unsounded is a beautifully built out fantasy world with a great magic system, interesting characters, and an engaging plot that could go anywhere.

Bonus:Very consistent update schedule so no "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH MY WRIST" garbage or anything like that.

That scifi with the wolf woman

It Hurts!!

>Dresden Codak is an influential and unique series that was ahead of its time.
its worth more reading on the personal actions of the creator. Don't be like Aaron Diaz

8-Bit Theater & Perry Bible Fellowship

In order of quality:
>Rice Boy
>Nedroid
>Oglaf
>Whomp!
>Swords

Hardcore leveling worrior

OOTS is a must-read, and they're about to enter the final arc, it looks like

>unironically reccommending UnOrdinary
Into the trash with you.

No one said Gunnerkrigg Court. Why?

It's fun eventhough it's super fucking slow. The current arc right now finally show John kicking everbody ass.

It reads better in print, and doesn't feel 'mandatory' somehow?

Sinfest Pre-Sisterhood

Attached: Sinfest2000-01-17.gif (680x276, 25K)

Seconding Unsounded. There's nothing else like it, and it's just quietly in its corner doing its groundbreaking shit like it's no big deal.

Getting storyboards ready for a web/limited print strip, what does Yea Forums think of the style?

Attached: 20190512_085303.jpg (4032x3024, 2.92M)

Attached: 20190512_090815.jpg (4032x3024, 3.56M)

Attached: 20190512_091457.jpg (4032x3024, 3.33M)

>achewood
My nigga.

Attached: EvilCoopThumbsUp.jpg (1238x671, 39K)

there's a plot?

Attached: hold_up.png (510x370, 159K)

>riceboy over Nedroid
Wrong

>t. /ic/

It's okay (I haven't seen too many webcomics which went full thick black sharpie, so at least it's good for some pop) and the notebook scribbling style is somewhat attractive, but I find it somewhat hard to enjoy your scene compositions, especially dialogues because there's no sense of place or relative character positioning.

Additionally and more problematic, all but two shots you've posted are character faces looking at viewer. This makes it pretty visually boring and super repetitive. Consider adding variety of angles and subject matters when framing your subjects (eg, shots of characters hands, background shots, group shots, shots in profile, shots in 3/4ths, action shots, and so on).

Apparently?

Attached: 1552852420228.gif (360x360, 25K)

Attached: TruestArt.jpg (770x1050, 150K)

Holy smokes! I appreciate the feedback, and I actually take into account every bit of criticism possible, these actually just my base storyboards, howbeit, my brother shares a similar sentiment; he's thinking I need someone to work with, I'd love to see the possibilities

keep in mind that for the first few acts, commands were user-submitted, so there's a fair bit of sidetracking before the meat of the story comes into play