Marvel #1000

nytimes.com/2019/05/10/arts/design/marvel-comics-1000.html

Attached: marvel1000.jpg (1349x2048, 869K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1126886829385572352
boards.fireden.net/co/thread/106030244/#106030244
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Marvel Comics turns 80 in August. To celebrate, the company is releasing Marvel Comics No. 1000, which follows its heroes from Day 1 in 1939, long before they became the global entertainment phenomenon they are today.

>Each page of the comic will correlate to one year in Marvel history. Along the way, readers will see many of the marquee characters from the mighty Marvel universe like Captain America, Thor and Iron Man, and some less familiar ones, like Blue Marvel, Night Thrasher and the Three X’s.

>“This is by far the most complex and complicated and difficult book I’ve ever had to assemble,” Tom Brevoort, Marvel’s executive editor and senior vice president of publishing, said in a conference call with C.B. Cebulski, Marvel’s editor in chief. While most comic books are created by one writer and one art team, Issue No. 1000 will have 80 — one team for each of its 80 pages.

>The company began teasing the project in issues that arrived in stores this week: Comics on Wednesday featured advertisements with one, two or three names, along with the words “August 2019” against a background collage of historic Marvel covers. There was a lot of buzz among fans.

>Those named in the ads are contributors to the anniversary anthology, a group that includes both industry veterans and some new to comic books, like the filmmakers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller and the rapper Taboo of the Black Eyed Peas.

>Cebulski said the newcomers were recruited based on the fact that they made Marvel references over the years that were noted in-house. “Our characters are mentioned in so many different ways and in so many different mediums and we always keep track,” Cebulski said. “Now these distinguished individuals are able to contribute back to the comics they grew up on.”

>Marvel’s publishing history started on Aug. 31, 1939, with the arrival on newsstands of Marvel Comics No. 1. It was published by Timely Comics, a forerunner of Marvel. Namor, the Sub-Mariner, the android Human Torch (not to be confused with the 1961 Fantastic Four character with the same name) appeared for the first time — along with other characters, including a costumed detective named the Angel.

>The first panel of the story in No. 1000, which has a painted cover by Alex Ross, comes from that 1939 issue. It’s fitting, because the story reveals the mystery that propelled the Marvel universe from its inception and involves an artifact known as the Eternity Mask.

>Al Ewing, who is currently the writer of The Immortal Hulk, helped conceive the creative jigsaw puzzle that is Marvel 1000. His gift for intricacies can be seen in his You Are Deadpool comic, drawn by Salva Espin and Paco Diaz, which combined choose-your-own-adventure options and dice rolls to move readers through the story. He jumped at the chance to participate in the project. “This is the kind of honor that doesn’t really come that often,” Ewing said by phone.

>Comic-book historians may wonder how this is No. 1000 of Marvel Comics, given the history of the title. It was called Marvel Comics for the first issue and then became Marvel Mystery Comics and later Marvel Tales, until it reached issue No. 159, when it was canceled in 1957.

Cool, Blue Marvel is gonna be in this

>While the industry sometimes engages in numerical gymnastics — with issues numbered zero or using decimal points — in this case, it is much simpler. Marvel wanted to give fans a tangible touch point for the 80th anniversary, Brevoort said. “More than anything, it was a symbolic thing.”

80 YEARS. 80 PAGES. 80 CREATIVE TEAMS. ONE FOR ONE FOR ONE.
TOLDJA.

Cover by Alex Ross.

huh maybe this will get close to 1 million sales

So it's basically this but with multiple artists and writers?

Attached: 1536875774286.jpg (931x1448, 372K)

Well, that's based on Marvel time, whereas this is based on publication year.

>Each page of the comic will correlate to one year in Marvel history.
that's a cool idea

>Al Ewing, who is currently the writer of The Immortal Hulk, helped conceive the creative jigsaw puzzle that is Marvel 1000.
This explains why he has so many pages in the comic.

Sounds cool, actually

If nothing else, it sounds really cool. It might be a fucking mess in execution, but it's a neat enough gimmick that I'd want to check it out. Hopefully they don't gouge the price though. An 80 page comic from Marvel usually goes into the ~$9 range.

I can really only see this breaking the one million if they make it cheaper than usual, too. Like what DC did with Rebirth.

Was the eternity mask not also in No Way Home?

Captain Marvel in a dead center and right on top of the logo...

Attached: fIHA_iCLTPM.jpg (804x743, 73K)

I hope this launches as a mini trade/graphic novel format.

Also damn Ross squirrel girl is cute

Colossus is dead center.

They had to have Captain Fungus so prominent that she's blocking the title? Dropped.

>Confusing a human actor with a fictional character
This is your brain on Yea Forums

Typical casual culture warrior who doesn't read comics.

That cover/picture looked amazing until I saw Spider-Gwen and Cyclops barely peaking out behind Wolverine.

He's not a comic reader anyways.

Al is talking about the comic here:

twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1126886829385572352

>So this dropped. My chunk of this is a mystery spanning the length and breadth of published Marvel, built of one-page stories. It’s the kind of jigsaw people who read my work know I love putting together - and it’ll introduce some brand new elements to the Marvel universe.
>To everyone who expressed concern for my well-being - I do appreciate it, even in jest. I have actually lost quite a lot of sleep and the occasional meal working on this - a lot of me went into it, and I’m excited by the people who are turning that into dazzling comic pages.

Go back to shitting in your Yea Forums sandbox, mongoloid

I'm expecting a lot of meta concepts.

>no FF
>not a single magic character
>fucking 5 x-men
>3 fucking spider-people
I am salty, yes

>#1000
Always the DC ripoff, Marvel.

The character was turned to shit long before the movie came out, no point differentiating between the two turds at this point.

>no ff
>captain push at the forefront
Disgusting

>Spider-Man
>Captain America
>Iron Man
>Thor
>Captain Marvel
>Wolverine
>Cyclops
>Colossus
>Nightcrawler
>Storm
>Thanos
>Daredevil
>Black Panther
>Miles Morales
>Spider-Gwen
>Ms. Marvel
>Squirrel Girl
So these are the characters that Marvel chose to celebrate on this cover.

Thor?

Sounds cool but I was hoping a number of these creative teams was ongoing

I get them using most of these characters except Squirrel Girl and 5 x-men (3 would be good)

They might. Erik Larsen already said he's doing more than 1 page

Just leave.

Alex Ross probably refused to draw Deadpool.

squirrel girl represents the scholastic party, she deserves to be there more than fucking spider-gwen. I would swap out spider-gwen with Sue and Colossus with Strange

Yeah, that's the weird part. The announcements aren't over for this so I'm expecting some additional books.

Man, Ross's art getting so boring over the past years

No, but it looks like they're about to something similar as the House of Ideas in here, with this sort of puzzle thing. And that's gonna be crazy if it's pulled off.

How many of you played You Are Deadpool last year?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-30 21-22-24.png (831x614, 369K)

>being triggered over marvel's flagship character being featured
Yikes

Don't forget about the guy in Spider-Man's armpit.

So was there a Marvel #1-#999 that I missed or is this just an Action/Detective #1000s mimic cash in?

Attached: Britney.gif (600x337, 1.09M)

Notice how every character pose is taken from a classic cover.

You forgot Hulk.

>He didn't read Marvel 1-999
Casuals LEAVE

It's a "symbolic" thing

People will gobble this shit up but they could have just named in marvel 80 years or something and it would do just as well

>Marvel trying to celebrate their history
>Miles, Gwen and Squirrel Girl.
>No Fantastic Four or Namor.
LOL Fuck off.

Namor is explicitly mentioned in the article and you know damn well the Fantastic Four are gonna be featured prominently inside the pages.

Are you dumb on purpose?

There's going to be like 100 variants

A porential Guinness World Record attempt!

More creative teams still to come in the coming weeks

>>Marvel trying to celebrate their history
>only 3 characters from the past 20 years and I shouldn't even count Spider-Gwen
House of Nostalgifags

Imagine even a fraction of something like that for Action and Detective #1000. Doesn't even need to be autistically connected, just a page-a-year tribute by various top caliber creative teams

Attached: 1288192475813.png (429x410, 10K)

HAHAH ENJOY BENDIS

>Every character wears old costumes exept for Iron man, Squirell shit, and THAT one

Attached: 1557444758510.jpg (673x282, 56K)

The idea is that if Marvel Comics kept its original name and didn't get cancelled at #159 then it would be reaching #1000 now. I somewhat doubt that the numbers actually pan out that way if you were to do the math, but Marvel Comics launched not that long after Detective Comics #1 and DC had its #1000 issue recently so they can just bullshit it that way.

This will never sell over a million

If they price it right, it will. They probably won’t though

>boss, DC has published #1000s of Superman and Batman!
>quick, publish something wit that number! Whatever it is!

>True believers, if we all pretend that Marvel was created 80 years ago and if we pretend that Marvel has published an ongoing without stopping for those 80 years, than we would be in our 1000th issue! You will spend your money on such an important milestone, won't you?
Unbelievable.

Gotta hand it to Marvel, though. They have their readers by the ballsack. Any other company doing this kind of shit would be called out. Marvel convinced their readers that scummy shit is reason for praise. This is many times more impressive than the stories they are able to put out.

In a way, they have my admiration.

Attached: from_a_marvelfriend_viewpoint.png (682x231, 22K)

>top caliber creative teams

Attached: 006-001b.jpg (564x311, 37K)

Good old Reddit, always taking care of mentally disabled people.

Is this the "1 million units sold" comic that the weeabo was talking about?

Leave it to a Marvelfag to call the likes of Erik Larsen "top talent".

Then again, we are talking about people that convinced Donny Cates that he was the new Alan Moore for "Cosmic Ghost Rider".

B-but he was! Yea Forums told me so!

I've seen some
>b-but what about DC 1000000?
But that ignores that the numbering was all based around an event that pretends we are thousands of years into the future, and was not advertised as a milestone moment

Unlike Yea Forums(nel), bastion of mental health.

He certainly has more mindshare than Moore these days.

In all fairness, Cates himself forced himself into that role and retards bought into it. Now he has his own "cult" who actually think the guy is a good writer.

Attached: devils_advocates.jpg (703x1200, 130K)

>Marvelfags praise Donny Cates as the best writer alive for writing "Cosmic ghost Rider" and "Death of Inhumans"
>Then they take pride on the fact that the writer they praised is praised
Guys like you are the reason why Marvel has zero "prestige" Graphic Novels. Praise mediocrity, get mediocrity.

Please. We all know pic is Marvel's Watchmen.

Attached: Hawkeye.jpg (994x1528, 179K)

>40s
Cap
Human Torch
>50s
nope
>60s
Spider-Man
Hulk
Iron Man
Thor
Cyclops
Daredevil
Black Panther
Captain Marvel (arguably 70s)
>70s
Thanos
Claw Dude
Weather Chick
Fart Dude
Metal Dude
>80s
nope
>90s
Squirrel Girl
>00s
nope, decade of wasted characters
oh wait, there is Tippy Toe, lol
>10s
Spider Miles
Ms Marvel
Spider Gwen (arguably 60s)

Good thing the cover is not representative of the comics

I thought this here was Marvel's Watchmen.

Attached: meme knight.png (948x158, 61K)

This is so dishonest and undeserved. Tec and Action had 1000 issues. Marvel as a company has had thousands and thousands of issues but not the book that was called that. Why couldn’t they wait like five years and double shit ASM and get a well deserved issue 1000? This is so absolutely meaningless. It’s like pic related, it’s C. B. Cebulski’s new Ferrari.

Attached: 19D185FB-F562-452D-98F4-CB903FBDBE46.jpg (600x315, 17K)

Oh fuck Tommy is here

but it's not really 1000

You might not like them personally, but marvel certainly has highly acclaimed GNs

Such as?

Marvels is the prime example

Like what?

The only high acclaimed Graphic Novel Marvel has is "Miracleman", and it's one they bought Ad Hoc just to be able to say "S-See? We have good stories, too!".

The Gwen push is weird. Miles is high school spidey, i get it, but gwen is really nothing more than a costume. Replace her with fantastic four or rocket/groot

That's not saying much, user.

Even in the Shooter days their GNs were good, but not great or masterful.

This is highly acclaimed, regardless of your own personal opinions

>highly acclaimed in tumblr
FTFY

That is literally proving my point though. Marvels is highly acclaimed

>Fucking Fraction's Hawkeye
Marvel's very best, everyone.

Attached: fraction_masterpiece.png (983x571, 895K)

Not the guy you're talking to, but I posted Hawkeye as a joke, user.

The series won Eisners
>inb4 they don’t count!
Then what does? Yea Forums?

Why are Miles spider-gwen and kamala on the cover? Yet Dr.strange the FF or even fucking Namor are no where to be seen

I know, but it is still viewed highly by both critics and readers, so it is highly acclaimed

Any comic book with minimalistic art and less than 1000 words per issue is bound to win an Eisner, user. They are called "Eisner Bait" for a reason.

But if we multiply 80 by 12 we only get 960 we would still have at least 4 more years to hit 1000

>pretend that Marvel was created 80 years ago

Attached: marvel 1.jpg (940x625, 77K)

How is life in the 2000s, user?

>there was only one Marvel Comics in history (#1)
>next issue was Marvel Mystery Comics and it only run for 91 issues
>they never published it again
>"but it would be 1000 issues if they published it since then"
lmao the absolute state of the House of No Legacy

This is making DC1000 and AC1000 look really fucking phoned in.

>That's not saying much, user.
Why do you move the goalposts? The question was if Marvel had any acclaimed GNs and someone gave you a title.

well, are you going to post evidence contrary to its overall well regard?

>Pretending that this was published by Marvel

I read comics. How come the character that for decades her defining trait was “that one who Rogue got her powers from” is front and center? And if we are going to have Carol as Captain Marvel and not the role she has been in for decades why are other characters in their iconic versions? Wolverine should be Patch, Collosus should be dressed as one of Magneto’s Acolytes and Hulk should be Mr. Fixit.

maybe DC should invent a milestone of their own to make it right this time

They were

Imagine believing that a 80-page story in which each page is written by a different writer will be any good.

>Squirrel Girl is there
>but not Ant-Man or Wasp
there are way bigger problems with this thing

>How come the character that for decades her defining trait was “that one who Rogue got her powers from” is front and center?
For "decades"? Just because you didn't read her classic stuff it doesn't mean that's all she was. And still why are you complaining specifically about that and not the 5 fucking X-Men characters while no single F4 character is in it?
The choice was more or less arbitrary and it's meant to represent an array of decades, not to be strict about who's featured.

Ewing is doing the overall framework, why won’t it be good?

>hurricane durr for decades Rogue
Begone casual.

Marvels is not Watchmen tier.

Why would it be good?

Because Ewing is good at integrating different plotlines together, and many of the teams are great

Yeah, it’s better. I still like DC’s GNs overall though, but Watchmen is so overrated it’s annoying. Every normie gravitates to it because of “what if superhero, BUT DARK”

Who said it was?
This is the post that originated the discussion: >You might not like them personally, but marvel certainly has highly acclaimed GNs
At no point it was compared to Watchmen, and changing it to be that is fucking dumb. If we get to it, Marvel's Watchmen is the Squadron Supreme, who actually existed even before Watchmen. But since its approach was different to Moore's, it's not held in the same regard.
Have you ever read any Ewing comic?

Attached: Squadron_Supreme_TPB_Vol_1_1_Textless.jpg (668x986, 987K)

This is why I don't read Marvel. This publisher is so obsessed with driving DC out of business that they only manage to hurt the market with this kind of retarded events.

More like Marvel Comics #960 If We Actually Published It Monthly Since #1 And Didn't Rename It Marvel Mystery Comics

>Yeah, it’s better.

Attached: 1286384829419.gif (300x174, 1.77M)

Because at the very least it will be cohesive and consistent with established canon.

Confirmed for marveldrone.

I cannot wait to see how you Marvelfags will manage to praise this.
>"Damn, that page by Lemire has got to be the best page I have ever read in my life!"
>"But how about that page by Ewing? Masterful. I fucking cried reading it."
>"Why is no one talking about Hickman's page? I'm literally shaking!"

Looking forward to the storytime. It will be a gold mine of prints.

Watchmen isn't even as good as Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel.

Detective 27 and Action 1 were published by National, not DC.

I was just jumping on what was already mentioned
F4 should be there too but the X-Men were big for longer than they were so I wouldn’t compare them. But yeah Miles, Spidergwen and Squirrel Girl should absolutely not be there, not even for this decade (maybe Miles I guess.)
Fuck off you piece of shit, this is Yea Forums. Carol as Captain Marve has basically never sold a single fucking issue. She is only relevant in the MCU and with people who pretend they read comics.

Fuck off, DC (Vertigo) is overall miles better than Marvel, but fuck Watchmen. Not liking Watchmen doesn’t mean I dislike DC or prefer marvel, you absolute faglord

>Not liking Watchmen doesn’t mean I dislike DC or prefer marvel
It does.

That's it? That's your whole argument?

The only people who would unironically hold AND express this opinion in public are either Brian Reed or Brian Reed's mom.

Bendis circa 2007 would probably also publicly express this opinion but he didn't actually think that, of course.

You had none, so...

...how?

Detective was published by Detective Comics, Inc

>Brian Reed
Who?

Only a marveldrone would praise any Marvel turd over Watchmen.

>Carol as Captain Marve has basically never sold a single fucking issue.
Captain Marvel as a concept has NEVER been a big seller, and it's fucking ridiculous to see retards like you trying to push this idea that as soon as she took the title, it sank. Nope, not even during PAD's run the title sold well, and let's not even talk about how it wasn't even a main seller during the 70's as Mar-Vell.
The fuck?

Why bother engaging an argument when you keep moving the goalposts? All the post did was move it back to the original point

"Squadron Supreme" has got to be the shittiest praised story I have ever read.

After hearing Marvelfag after Marvelfag referring to it as "Marvel's Watchmen", I expect great things from it. It's not even better than that pathetic Robinson's Squadron Supreme for a couple of years ago.

It goes to show how desperate for "actual good stories" Marvel fans are when they are willing to pretend that "Squadron Supreme" is high-literature.

SS was Gruenwald screaming HEY GUYS DON'T BUY DC THE JLA ARE NAZIS

I mean, you actually think Watchmen is high literature, so we're at odds here.

>taking comics seriously enough to call them "high literature"

L
O
L

In fact almost all generational covers consider Carol 10s because they want to ignore almost everything before Captain Marvel.

Hey, Stan Lee did the same in the 60s!

What a sad person you are

No Fantastic Four in the cover? WTF!

I'm sorry, but I ain't the one here saying that Squadron Supreme and Hawkeye is high-literature, am I?

Oh, you’re a company wars fag. Anyways here’s a list of Vertigo titles I prefer over the marvel ones I’ve read.
>Daytripper
>Sandman
>Lucifer
>Moore’s Swamp thing
Watchmen is still shit and marvels is still better though. Kill yourself, companywarsfag

Literally NO ONE said that in the thread. Just highly acclaimed, which is different

Apparently you are since no one in this thread called them so before you.

No one fucking called them "high literature", you're the one who insists Watchmen is, and that people are comparing these runs to Watchmen, which in your view is "untouchable". You're pathetic.

>Watchmen is still shit and marvels is still better
>Kill yourself, companywarsfag
Oh the irony.

Attached: 089.jpg (199x208, 9K)

E

What is so good about Marvels? The protagonist throwing stones at a small mutant child because people around him were doing it?

Yeah, I don’t like Watchmen and prefer marvels over it, mainly because of the tone and framing. I generally like “man on the ground” frames like Astro city instead of “WOW LOOK AT THIS EDGY GRIMDARK DECONSTRUCTION” (with some exceptions), doesn’t mean I don’t like DC as a whole or prefer marvel

Marvels is bad. Take your nostalgia goggles off. Ross art was breathtaking at the time but the story, besides a few iconic hero moments is convoluted, saccharine, contrived. Just, Forrest Gump, where this guy *happened* to see all the important moments all the time and even befriended one Gwen Stacey on her last day on Earth. Come on. I know it's "in" to hate Kingdom Come for Waid, but Marvels is much weaker.

>doesn’t mean I don’t like DC as a whole or prefer marvel
user...

Attached: All Star Western (2011-) 014-002.jpg (545x452, 72K)

>implying Watchmen isn’t full of contrivances

Y-You don't get it!

"Marvels" is, like, awesome. "What if this one guy happened to see everything important that has ever happened in the Marvel Universe, so the story is just him going 'damn, Galactus' and 'damn, Namor' and 'damn, Avengers' and 'damn, Fantastic Four' and 'damn, mutants' and 'damn, Spider-Man and 'damn..."

Like, how can you not like it?

The art was the weakest part of marvels

A commie? Marveliberals aren't even playing it subtle anymore.

>Ross art was breathtaking at the time
There are several painters who are 10x better at doing sequential art than him, and that's just in American comics, let alone in Europe

Why would any fan of superhero comics like Watchmen? You realize it was intended as a deconstruction of the genre and Alan Moore thinks superheroes are for children and adults reading superhero comics is a dangerous 'cultural catastrophe', right?

I didn't say anything about Watchmen but it's not comparable. Photog being conveniently witness to everything all the time eclipses...what exactly are your Watchmen contrivances? Take your time.

>Y-You don't get it!
Ah yes the stuttering response, it never fails. Fall in line with the consensus, or else!

What's the strongest part? A mutant being bullied for being strange and different only for our protagonist to explain why that is wrong? Have to admit that was a really fresh idea, I'd never seen it before or since.

>liking Vertishit
Epic was better in literally every way.
Fully creator owned, and they published eurocomics and manga for western audiences.
Vertigo did fuck all but attract emo kids to druggy writers

>Before Gruenwald left for his weekend home on August 9, he grabbed a preview copy of Rob Liefeld’s Captain America #1. It was Gruenwald’s favorite Marvel character; until a few months earlier, he’d either written or edited every issue since 1982. On Monday morning, rumors started flying around the offices, confirmed by an 11 a.m. email from Terry Stewart. “It’s with my deepest and most profound regret that I inform you that Mark Gruenwald passed away unexpectedly early today at home,” the note began. The cause of death was a heart attack.

Attached: _2014-11-05_20-29-24.jpg (395x682, 61K)

>I-If I focus on the "stuttering reponse" thing, I can avoid addressing the weak, masturbatory plot of Marvels and still come out on top!

Isn't Squirrel Girl a Mutant?

>You realize it was intended as a deconstruction of the genre
It wasn't. He took all the deconstructionist and grittyfying trends that were slowly gaining strength throughout the Bronze Age and tried to show what it'd be like if superhero comics continued to move in that direction instead of keeping the Golden/Silver Age sense of wonder and silliness

>Ozymandias’ plan working at all with all the kidnapping and a fucking teleporting alien squid
>Ozymandias somehow failing to consider Rorschach being an unhinged maniac and keeping a journal despite being a keikaku master
>Old Owlman conveniently being killed at the right time
>Doc Manhattan somehow not realising the one in a quadrillion thing on his own despite having so much knowledge

>Why would any fan of superhero comics like Watchmen?
Why would I answer such a stupid question? Seriously, how new are you?

Protraying what life as a marvel New York reporter might be like

K-Keep s-stuttering, imbecile.

>The reporter died at the 46th Atlantian invasion, little before Namor was invited to join the Avengers

Yeah! Fuck that, all superhero comics has to be epic deconstructions. Fuck celebration, positivety and hope, Heroes in Crisis is the best shit released in recent years

Pretty sure that was retconned during the Inhumans push.

It fails hard in that regard, though.

Fuck, just realised that none of the war reporters ever come back from their job and cover multiple conflicts

That's the bit I like. Just wish it was a better more creative avatar than boring family photo man.

Nah, it goes into urich’s head quite well

The family photo man is the whole point though, a relatively normal citizen in a wild universe

Those are not contrivances.

I understand that and for a few pages. As he considers the godlike nature of the heros yada yada yada, it works. Generally it doesn't, as his own plot is immensely undercooked

Then neither is a New Yorker reporter experiencing major events in fucking New York

Given how passionated you Marvelfags can be towards your company of choice, it doesn't surprise me that a comic book that pats itself on the back would satisfy you guys so much.

A story that jerks off the Marvel Universe is also a story that jerks off their readers.

I thought his family story was fitting for what the book sought to achieve

Dude. Every event. At exactly the right time. Capped off by BEFRIENDING GWEN STACEY THE DAY BEFORE SHE'S MURDERED.

That's not a contrivance.

But user, I just agreed with you? Writers should only be tearing down characters and universes. In fact, my favourite Batman story is I am suicide, and Moster Miracle is GOAT

>no actual arguments

Not every, just those that took place in, you know, New York? And not even the whole of New York, entire areas aren’t covered

>Every event
???

>Literally the first page of Liefeld's issue

Attached: CapReborn.jpg (1087x1650, 500K)

The saddest part of all this is that you believe that this is a clever reply.

And how in the fuck is a Marvelfag criticizing edgy shit? Marvel stories are all about people being genocided or heroes genociding other people, the drama of Marvel's First Family is that the mom wants to cheat on her husband with the edgy villain that always tries to murder her family, the best-selling Marvel creator of all time is Mark Millar.

Like, c'mon.

The title is lame but the concept is actually brilliant

it could be pretty bad and still way better than DC's 1000th issues

Stay mad, DCuck. Learn how to do a proper celebration book

Matt you're upside down again, get a damn grip on yourself.

Remember this next time you're making jokes about how 'kiddie' Marvel is compared to DC and how Snyder's movies are more mature than the "QuipCU" because of biblical references something something.

It will be pretty bad and will retards will pretend that it's good just to "own" DCfags.

Like you always do with every Marvel story.

You can praise watchmen as the best only if you are an autistic 17 years old boy

This.

Cringy children praise Watchmen. Based men praise Hawkeye, bro

Attached: Hawkeye12_006.jpg (1043x1600, 388K)

I am literally agreeing with you, you sperg

>implying I can’t dislike edgy stories from marvel as well
Fuck civil war, fuck civil war 2, fuck the emprikuli, fuck gorr, fuck the x-men

>marvel stories are all about edgy shit
Yeah, that’s why marvels is too “saccharine”. Make up your own mind, schizo

Well at least there's no pretension or ridiculous memeing of Venom being in any way comparable to Watchmen (saying it as someone who doesn't care for it in first place).

This but unironically

go back to pretending Tomasi isn't shit

The praise for "Venom" has died down since it was revealed that Brock is a father because a decade ago the symbiont impregnated a woman with his semen.

But when the story was about Knull, the Dragon-God that forged the All-Black Necrosword, Marvelfags could not stop masturbating to it.

Oh lord the Tomasi hater is here too

>Carol in the logo
BASED
Carol Yea Forumsrps always wins!

Attached: 1534869884456.jpg (922x1400, 61K)

Actually it has died down because of the event tie-ins breaking the pacing

The praise was strongest on Yea Forums when Eddie was basically a wandering hobo searching for a place to hole and Cates BTFOed Symbrock shippers

Do you think only one person can hate Tomasi?

Nah, that was when Venom storytimes started to struggle to reach 100 replies.

When the story was all "GOD IS COMING, GOD IS COMING, KNUL, GOD IS COMING", the threads would climb to 500 replies in 2 hours.

He probably thinks everyone who isn't a DC drone is just one person that chose to harass him forever.
Psychos works that way.

Do you think the guy who seems to coincidentally have the same writing style is actually two people?

Wrong. Why lie?
boards.fireden.net/co/thread/106030244/#106030244

Gwenpool did a dissertation on comic super-heroism in a way that actually spoke to the reader, not at them. It's completely left Watchmen in the dust, and it didn't even have to use real-world politics to do it.

Attached: Gwenpool.jpg (2076x1600, 1.29M)

>DCuck
Incoming ban.

Oh look, now he says Gwenpool is better than Watchmen.

Man, I'm so glad I don't read Marvel. Its fans are Scientology tier.

Take your meds bru, sounds unhealthy

>When the story was all "GOD IS COMING, GOD IS COMING, KNUL, GOD IS COMING", the threads would climb to 500 replies in 2 hours.
Is this what Cates is banking on with his Absolute Carnage event I'm planning on skipping? Because it honestly feels like it's going to disappoint greatly, and be riddled with continuity errors and nonsensical situations (just like his Thanos and Death of the Inhumans, let alone GOTG)

Okay, can we actually talk about the potential story itself? So based on the info was already have, the story will go through all the years of Marvel (80 in total) with the overarching plot being connected and centered around a mysterious artifact known as the "Eternity Mask". Ewing mentioned on Twitter that this issue with introduce new elements AND characters.

No we can’t

Yeah. He certainly does sound a bit Thor.

Attached: 1446964027800s.jpg (125x83, 3K)

>that one stupid guy who thinks Gruenwald hated the Justice League

>can we actually talk about the potential story itself?
It's shit. Next question?

>Marvel never hated DC
Heh.

You didn't even read the comic or the page presented, yet you're there seething at the notion of a "lesser comic" making a better argument about superhero deconstruction than your "serious business" comic book with a thousand reprints and formats.

Attached: Squirrel-Girl-Penance.jpg (641x360, 65K)

>You didn't even read the comic or the page presented
Why would I? Marvel turns people into drones.

>The things that Marvefags have to praise in order to convince themselves that they aren't wasting their money

Imagine being THIS scared of getting proved wrong that you'd go out of your way to neglect reading a single page that destroys your whole argument.

>buying comics
What are you gay?

Imagine being THIS much of a brand loyalist that you would argue that one page of Gwenpool destroys Watchmen;

>defending Watchmen
And you’re calling others brand loyalists?

Did you read Avengers No Road Home and the House of Ideas thing?
It's likely gonna be like "Legacy" was, except actually well executed, all things considered. The "Eternity Mask" is probably tied to that thing, maybe borrowed from beyond the Far Shore, and a direct connection with our reality and theirs.

Do you need to be a brand loyalist to defend Watchmen?

because he likes to think everyone is company faggot likes he does for DC?
You are replying to Tommy, user. Don't bother, just ignore him like everyone else does.

>that one stupid guy who thinks you’re the company you work for

>everyone is company faggot
No, only marvelfags are.

Delicious tears. Thanks dcfgs for existing

they are masochistic, hence why they never say no to reply to a Marvel thread.

>/ourgirl/ in the most prominent spot
I wonder what it's like to lose?

Attached: Captain Marvel 001-000.jpg (1920x2951, 851K)

>Captain Marvel as a concept has NEVER been a big seller, and it's fucking ridiculous to see retards like you trying to push this idea that as soon as she took the title, it sank. Nope, not even during PAD's run the title sold well, and let's not even talk about how it wasn't even a main seller during the 70's as Mar-Vell.
I wouldn’t disagree with that either though.

>AND characters
Considering there's a decent sized gap between peak golden age (Cap/Torch/Namor/Angel) and the start of the Silver Age where Marvel/Timely/Atlas wasn't putting out much that people would care about, You're gonna have to fill those dozen pages with SOMETHING. It can't all be Marvel Monsters and z-list detective/romance characters that Ewing had to dig through dusty archives to discover.

There's not much we can really tell based on what we know so far. A more interesting thought experiment would be trying to figure out which page/year each creative team is doing.

>Kelly Sue & David Lopez
1977 or 2012

So here's what I'm wondering. This can't be the only thing that all these announcements were for. Larsen said he did 3 stories over 41 pages. 1 of those pages would be for here, but that still leaves two 20-page stories to appear somewhere else.

>not a single member of the Fantastic Four, the heroes that started the Marvel universe, on the cover

What did they mean by this?

Attached: 033d567a5415d263abb8aa5907a7e29c.jpg (640x605, 75K)

Lol, you’re retarded.

Attached: mc1000.jpg (1013x783, 185K)

They are against the traditional family and family values.

>all three Gwen Pooles will never kiss you
It hurts.

Attached: sad.png (456x338, 252K)

It's a cute comic with a cute fourth wall break. Settle down.

Normallly I would laugh at this but then I saw what those fuckers did to the Inhumans.

Childhood is loving Watchmen because it's dark and different

Adolescence is calling Watchmen "overrated"

Adulthood is realizing that Watchmen is great because of it's themes, complex narrative, and masterful artwork and dialogue and is in fact deserving of all its praise

so what character is going to be featured for each year?

let's get the obvious ones out of the way

1939 OG Human Torch
1944 Captain America
1962 Spider-Man
2019 the (new) big bad villain for the next crossover or Stan Lee, if the book is a standalone.

I CANT BELIEVE IT
IM ON A MAGAZINE COVER

Attached: 3E4064DF-2D01-42FC-BAE3-2B85902CFBBE.jpg (562x1006, 159K)

mimic cash-in as usual

If they place him in 1961...

>kamala and gwen on the cover
>not strange, FF, namor, black bolt, any kirby monster,
Why is Thanos the only villain? What about Kang, ultron, magneto, or Doom

So glad that the All New All Different X-Men are up there

the ANAD team are clearly the group getting the push by Disney, they're all over MUA3 too. they're going to be the MCU X-Men.

Good. Cyke, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler is about as solid a core nucleus that you could want.

>everyone doing dynamic poses
>Kamala just standing there

Attached: 1554862654523.png (314x278, 129K)

>Squirrel Girl
>Miles
>Kamala Khan
>Spider-Gwen
>on the cover of an anniversary issue

I feel like throwing up. The 75th cover was better.

Attached: marvel75.jpg (450x672, 114K)

Peter fucking stop, that shit will rot your brain.

The X-men are all in their Giant Size #1 stances. It makes sense to have them together

AHEM
Ara Ara

Attached: 1557523766471.jpg (375x530, 36K)

>Notice how every character pose is taken from a classic cover.

what classic cover is Spider-Gwen or Squrriel Girl from?

Weirdly Carol, Kamala, and Spider-Gwen seem to be in not famous poses. Carol might be that McKelvie cover and just looks off from the angle

I love the Kirby ass Black Panther personally.

>Everyone complaining about Miles
>not about Kamala who sells less than him and is pushed Carol hard
At least Miles had a successful movie to his credit.
Waifufags should be ashamed of themselves

Attached: 1516078764665.png (287x335, 81K)

Isn't it whatever their first cover appearance poses were?

It's about the 80 years of Marvel history, not about the 30 or 40 first years
If anything, they should remove some of the X-Men and add Nico Minoru or Sentry

>yfw one variant for each year

Attached: 1513612224071.png (480x582, 214K)

Grant morrison calls watchmen overrated. And he is right

>Eisners

Eisners ain't what they used to be user...

I dislike them both but that bitch is shoved into almost everything

Such a shameless fucking cash grab it's actually hilarious.

no, Gwen's first covers were her in like a crouch, I think Carols were an Avenger Spider-Man cover and a Rosie the Riveter riff. Squirrel Girl's was her day dreaming

except did a better job at covering all the big Marvel characters throughout history.

>Spidergwen not Gwenpool
dropped like a rock

I take it back, Carol is doing this pose it's just a different angle

Attached: HTCC-Carol-Captain-Marvel-1.jpg (794x1200, 188K)

>Carol

Shit...YOU'RE RIGHT!

I notice is they just had to sneak Benis' creation and that other mcNUshitter squirrel girl on the cover.

Anyone want to help me with these poses?

>Spider-Man: Amazing Fantasy #15
>Hulk: The Incredible Hulk #1
>Thor: Journey into Mystery #83
>Carol Danvers: Captain Marvel #1 (2012)
>Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Wolverine, Cyclops: Giant-Size X-Men #1
>Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan): Champions #1
>Thanos: The Infinity Gauntlet #1
>Black Panther: Fantastic Four #52
>Captain America: Captain America Comics #1 (not the cover, the first page)
>Iron Man: Iron Man Vol. 3 #76
>Daredevil: Daredevil (1998) #1

>Miles Morales: ?
>Spider-Gwen: ?
>Squirrel Girl: ?

Attached: cmx-cu-sash-lg.png|0,0,361,547 208,394,152,152_QL80_TTD_.jpg (360x546, 88K)

Kamala is in a pose it's just a really stupid one. It's from Champions. It feels completely out of place and I don't recall that cover being famous.

Attached: This was not a good choice.jpg (1041x1600, 635K)

She looks like she's seeing someone jerk off in a bacon sandwich.

still shouldn't be called Marvel 75 years but Marvel 40 or 45 years

I think the Miles one is from one of the UCSM covers.

>change my name
>I'm now 0 years old
>in 14 years I fuck 14 year old girls

no one reads Captain Cunt. That's why it's rebooted every seven months. Losers

Sounds based and Mexican amigo.

my sides are in fucking orbit, user

Flash is the god of speed

Wall West is literally the stand in for three generations of capeshit fan, who grew up with comics, got married and had kids that he introduced to this world.

Marvel fans think marriage and children makes Flash a God.

BAKA

It's not about Timely/Marvel name change, it's about the cover showing mostly stuff from the last century (with two tiny exceptions), like if Marvel stopped publishing comics in the 80s

I'm actually worried that 2018/2019 will be Donny Cates and GOTG/Thanos, I don't want him anywhere near either of them. Thanos needs to be 1992 with George Pérez/Al Ewing, since Starlin wasn't called for this.

Grant Morrison is a drugged out retard

Cope

>Jeff Parker not doing an Agents of Atlas story
gaaaay

But he is not a shit taster like dc shills

>implying that comic Carol's feet aren't also a forest of fungus

Of course they are, user. Of course they are.

It won't.

>It’s the kind of jigsaw people who read my work know I love putting together
So in other words he trawled Marvunapp for obscure characters because using someone with 5 appearances max is really revolutionary shit.

Imagine being this casual. Just because you can't recognize some characters, it doesn't mean they're obscure for those who actually read comics.

Attached: elf-with-a-gun_goodbye.png (523x682, 449K)

No you faggot, I tried reading Mighty Avengers, I tried Ultimates, I tried his Avengers stuff. I gave up. His plots weren't good, the humor sucked and he basically leaned heavily on "holy shit is that (X)?!" to carry him through. He's Cates tier mediocre but because he trots out some old character who appeared in two issues of Defenders or something Yea Forums thiks he's brilliant.

>He's Cates tier mediocre
Holy cringe, imagine disliking a writer so much you end up insulting him in such a contrarian way. I'm actually impressed.

Or maybe he writes a cohesive story and actual puts in effort to not fuck over the past stuff? It's fine not to like his work, but you're just a mongoloid.

Maybe we can pretend they had a weekly at some point like Action Comics.

>Kamala is there
>Miles is there
>Sam is not there

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: Upon reading Civil War II #8, Sam and Kamala are left speechless..png (421x770, 566K)

Sam is in space getting his helmet back, t-that's why he's not in the cover. No other reason!

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTMvNDA1L29yaWdpbmFsL0NIQU1QMjAxOTAwN19jb3YuanBn (919x1400, 294K)

aka
>we want that Action and Tec #1000 money

Colossus is the weirdest pick to me. Everyone else makes sense if you think from the point of view of a modern Marvel exec, but Colossus? He's not that popular or iconic compared to other X-Men. Jean Grey, Beast, or even Iceman would have made more sense.

I just want to know my ship is safe. I don't even care if Sam and Kamala don't actually mack, as long as Miles gets cockblocked.

Attached: OTP2.png (638x526, 496K)

He'll be fine. Here's hoping Champions stays for at least another arc, and that last issue gets enough of a push to get people interested in more.

Attached: 35d4ca83d6782837eb7c8fc00d91b00f.jpg (500x740, 66K)

hey, Zub made it

they have taken some characters from different eras

>like if Marvel stopped publishing comics in the 80s

how so? All those characters are literally Marvel's most popular and most used characters.

Modern Marvel still heavily uses all of the characters shown on the cover.

he literately is a dc shill

Not captain cunt,ms muslim, and squirrel cheeks the fat fuck

>t. casualgater

Damn this is actually worth saving, unlike the shit we got in OPs post

no the other poster was refering to the Marvel 75th anniversary cover

I agree with you that Captain Marvel, Kamala Khan and Squirrel Girl have no place on the 80th anniversary cover. Carol as Ms. Marvel maybe, but even that's a stretch.

the 75th cover was more encompassing of Marvel's roster.

Kamala and Spider-Gwen and Squirrel Girl are all forced as fuck characters. Squirrel Girl being anything more than a joke character is already a stretch.

Im sorry did a I make mistake, Carol is constantly a cunt in all the comics she's appeared in save for the latest one, Kamal is a muslim, and Squirrel Girl has been steadily gaining weight. If you want I could just call them all cunts..

Kamala and Spider-Gwen are understandable imo, they actually are popular. Squirrel Girl, not so much.

Squirrel Girl is the third most popular Ditko creation, get out of here casual.
>Kamal is a muslim, and Squirrel Girl has been steadily gaining weight.
And these are problems how?

The series is allegedly going to end at #10, though whether or not a reboot is in store remains to be seen. Never put it past Marvel to cancel a series and start over the very next month.

Marvel wants their own #1000 this badly, huh?

What's wrong with that?

colossus, storm, wolverine & cyclops are from giant-size x-men #1. it's a famous cover

iron man is from ellis/granov's extremis
daredevil is from smith/quesada's knights relaunch
thanos is obvious
spidey's is obvious

technically panther's pose is from his F4 debut, but it's a goddamn disgrace that we have gwen, squirrel meme, and miles over the goddamn fantastic four, even galactus/surfer would be fine as a representation

They're putting good effort on it, and it's their 80th anniversary anyway, they were gonna do something.

>And these are problems how?

Never said they were tumblrite I was just noting the obvious, I actually the fact that you thought I did shows more about you honestly.
Anyway my real problem is how all their series sell like shit, yet their still toting them as greatest shit Marvel has ever made...

>I actually the fact that you thought I did shows more about you honestly.
Don't try and spin these on me imbecile, we know why you singled them out.

Oh boy sure are projecting strong there princess. Its okay maybe you can help project higher sales for these shit series too.

This is easily the most embarrassing cash grab Marvel has done in a while.

And it's gonna work on me.

I stand corrected
I should have said
>like if the House of Ideas turned into the House of Nostalgia Blanket in the 80s and stopped pushing new characters

Civil War II was worse.

>one team for each of its 80 pages
Fucking knew it. Told you all there was NO reason to get hype about this.

>How many of you played You Are Deadpool last year?
>implying anyone gave a fuck about that disaster of a """"""gimmick""""""

We actually played You Are Deadpool here, week by week. These threads should be in the archive too, but go off pal.

>These threads should be in the archive too
I just assumed Yea Forums ignored the series like they did Secret Agent Deadpool, considering everyone here hates DP's title post-Duggan.

>Squirrel Girl is the third most popular Ditko creation

Pretty sure most of Spider-Man's supporting cast and villains from the Ditko years are better known and more popular than she is.

Absolutely nobody gives a fuck about Gwen Stacy.

Attached: gwenom ham.jpg (700x864, 375K)

But they do care about Norman Osborn and Doctor Octopus. More people know and care about JJJ, MJ, Flash, Kraven, Vulture, Lizard, Electro, Mysterio and Scorpion than know Squirrel Girl.