How would you guys compare 70s Japanese animations to modern cartoons?

How would you guys compare 70s Japanese animations to modern cartoons?

Attached: Future city.jpg (452x678, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dcjhpETolG0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Frankly not that different, back then most animes where episodic adventures much like western cartoons. Is not after the 80s when Anime started to become like we know them today.

I'd still unironically call Chargemen Ken a better cartoon than Felix the Cat (1950's).

Vastly superior.

Attached: MV5BZmI4MzQ1OWMtYjNhNi00MmMzLWFhMTUtNGY0NDE3ZDQyMWY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY268_CR7,0,182 (182x268, 15K)

Attached: EE36B05C-6CEF-4C35-B4A0-A3769D66282E.png (640x480, 271K)

>unironically

Better designs, direction, colors, characters, backgrounds, opening songs, subject matters. Worse animation (except for toonboom which goes in the trash)

Nah, non-episodic shows were already normal then. Devilman, Future Boy Conan, Tomorrow's Joe, Yamato, Gundam, Aim for the Ace, Rose of Versailles...

Somehow, I can't differentiate between ToonBoom and GoAnimate

Way more violent too. Have you seen an episode of Combattler V? Holy fuuuuck

Toonboom has unity syndrome, where good toonboom just looks like traditional animation and not toonboom

Worthless thread

70s anime is far fucking better than modern shitty western cartoons.

western trash can get btfo only by go nagai and reiji matsumoto.

I've seen a bit of Galaxy Express 999. It's bleak, and one of the first things the hero does is execute someone by bashing their head in IIRC. After they plead for mercy.

Is it taking valuable real estate space from a MCU thread?

>whataboutism

then name the modern cartoons that can hold a candle to their shows. theres also a bunch of noteworthy shows in 70s like tomorrows joe, lupin the third etc. the rose of versailles was a show for female audience and is motherfucking superior to any modern sjw crappy shows. compare it to trash like she-ra

>western trash can get btfo only by go nagai
Tell that to Cutie Honey Universe.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-06-10-13h59m08s219.png (1920x1090, 1.43M)

okay tell me how the 1950's felix the cat is better than chargeman ken

we're all waiting for your response

Post more Tatsunoko Superheores

For what purpose?

>speed racer
>superior
One of the worst animations I've seen.

>non-episodic
>Toei Devilman

youtube.com/watch?v=dcjhpETolG0

Attached: B535C685-FF3B-4E42-AE07-27E7EF836313.jpg (860x484, 72K)

Fuck yourself. No it doesn't.

It's also largely better than a lot of the cartoons being made at the time. Can you really compare H-B shit to things like Yamato and 0079?

>Chargeman Ken got complete subs before Yatterman because it's more meme-worthy

Attached: Разве ep088.flv_snapshot_13.46_[2013.07.29_08.34.25].jpg (640x480, 26K)

devilman was episodic and the others were rare exceptions, the hundreds of other 70s anime were episodic

Why did anime stop being episodic adventures? I like that format better than serialized narrative.

Because Yea Forums fags repel toy based anime like it's a heresy.

sorry for going off topic but did astroboy get censored in america?

>Chargemen Ken
According to Tezuca, it was, which puzzled him a lot because famous cartoons like Popeye (Fleisher version) and Tom & Jerry were violent as hell yet nobody batted an eye.

70's Japanese animation is better than most 70's/80's American animation.

70's Japanese animation has better storytelling than a lot of modern American & Japanese animation.

It's astonishing when I watch shows like Ashita no Joe or Rose of Versailles which are some of the greatest character pieces in all of animation. The fact mature stories like that were animated and came out at a time when cartoons were belived to only be for kids is kind of incredible.

Change in the viewership's taste I guess.
Anime became more specialized pandering to specific markets.
Before you could have something like Gundam be both a serious space opera and a toy commercial.
Now animes are specially made to appeal to a single hardcore fanbase.

Children anime is still episodic. Otaku aimed anime is usually adapted from WN, LN or manga so it is more story driven (yet sometimes it's writting even shittier).

There is talented and passionate people in every decade, technology is only a tool to create stories, but sadly people always gravitate towards the new shinny thing simply because is new.

Back then you had very passionate creators "forced" to make weekly episodic shows.
After the 80s the VHS marked in Japan created a boom in straight to video Anime and since this shows where not for TV they could tell a serialized story.
After this studios started seeing the potential to tell serialized stories for TV.

Attached: Vnt1YS9[1].jpg (815x466, 255K)

Cutie Honey, is quite the westernized anime, like comics it doesn't have a beginning as much as a ongoing plot with a "origin story" put after the fact.
Is not that different to something like Dinosaucer or any other cartoon from the 80s where heroes and villains are already established without much introduction to the viewers.

Anyone know that wacky races parody where all the villains from the multiple show compete with one another.
And all the teams are composed with different version of a sexy lady, a shaved gorilla and Waluigi.

Attached: 72868308_p0_master1200.jpg (800x500, 346K)

>compare 70s Japanese animations to modern cartoons?
unironically soul vs. soulless

Pretty good. The decade anime started diversifying and became distinctive from western cartoons (though I guess Tezuka started that trend in the 60's).

To be clear I'm not defining episodic as a show that has a lot of standalone episodes, like Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon still has an overarching pre-conceived story. Non-episodic shows weren't a rarity in the 70s.

Late night anime didn't come around until after Evangelion, and if there ever was a time period when episodic shows were the norm then it was the 60s. And I don't know if even that's true.

A show isn't pandering just because you don't like it.

There already were serialized stories before that.