Doesn't hold up that well. Too obviously grounded and low budget...

Doesn't hold up that well. Too obviously grounded and low budget, it doesn't get into the weird surrealism that this character and world are supposed to have. We really need a new Starship Troopers esque center left satire of fat retarded Americans, misguided police authoritarians and overly permissive liberal government programs now more than ever.

>no Chopper subplot
>no fatties persecution subplot
>no dry sardonic sense of black humor about itself

It was fine, but we deserve more

Judge Anderson is still 10/10, movie is literally only good as a potential starting point for a Psy Ops movie.

Attached: DownrightWeeklyJunco-size_restricted.gif (500x281, 521K)

Stallone Dredd was a better adaptation of the comics. Anyone who disputes this, is a liar

It's definitely hated on so much, misguidedly in my opinion. Stallone Dredd has an objectively better city and better side characters and villains like the Angel Gang.

I disagree with your assessment of the film, but I respect your taste in women. Anderson is best girl.

... Wonder how many years in the cubes waifuing a Judge gets you.

While it doesn't go as far with the over the top black humor and satire (although both are present in subtler ways), I think where the movie really holds both as an adaptation and on its own is with the characters. Anderson's character arc from compassionate to a fault, to cold and pragmatic, to finally reaching a middle ground where she's brutal with the guilty but caring towards the victim, is perfect. She's the protagonist, which frees Dredd up to be a straightforward badass motherfucker fucking shit up all day.
But at the same time, Dredd recognizes and rewards Anderson's character growth in a way that's perfectly in line with him in the comics. Ever since Giant Jr.'s final examination, Dredd's been rewarding judges who show a level of initiative and independent thought. He genuinely believes that judgement has to come not just from a mechanical understanding of the law but from human instinct and observation. And that's an aspect of him that I didn't expect to see in the movie, let alone done so well.
So while theme-wise it could've gone a lot further, character-wise it's just perfect for me. Could've had more Hershey tho'.

Attached: Dredd 3D - She's a Pass.png (718x819, 268K)

>it looked more visually accurate so it was a better adaptation
Idiot.

I think the true kino opinion is, the 90s goofiness fifth element megacity from the Stallone version > the realist third world commie blocks in the new version, but the character of Dredd himself and his sidekick in the new version vastly outclass Stallone and Snyder

Tone is an incredibly difficult thing to control. I would have preferred something most akin to Batman Brave and the Bold, where Dredd is the only overtly serious character, and Anderson was more like her chipper pre Judge Death self in the comics

Man, marvelfags are bored with attacking DC, huh?

I will never not dick ride the writing for Anderson in the movie. I've rarely seen a movie that has it's heroine have her naive idealism faced with the harsh realities of what society and human nature actually is and grow from it in a positive way, a way in which she lets her childish conceptions of morality die and let's a more hardened mature woman within herself emerge.

But fuck me man, nothing about Dredd feels right without absolute comic absurdism underscoring it. There absolutely are massive aspects of the mythos that the people who made new Dredd didn't understand or wanted to change. Fuck, there wasn't even any hilarious social commentary in the movie, like having hikikomori type dudes strapped in VR girlfriend simulator chairs, shitting themselves being filled with nutrient paste. There was no tongue in cheek sarcasm to any of the characters

I think that was the idea user, you can't go full 2000 AD out of the gate it's what the original did, got to ease people into the world first. And that's what we got just another day for Dredd.

World aside who was better as Dredd?

Attached: judge-dredd-sylvester-stallone-karl-urban.jpg (480x291, 32K)

Please, the only comics I've ever really liked are 2000 AD, the original Strange Tales run with Sterankos Fury and Ditkos Strange and The Savage Sword of Conan. Only heroes that embody some form of hardened Master Morality appeal to me

Vaako without question

>a way in which she lets her childish conceptions of morality die and let's a more hardened mature woman within herself emerge.
I think what really cinched it for me is that she didn't let those conceptions of morality die, she just tweaked them. She accepted that some people are just evil and have to be taken out, but she let Techie off the hook and explicitly called back to her earlier motivations. She still wants to do some good and remains a compassionate person at heart, but she no longer freezes when it comes to the ugly parts of the job. Which is a very comics Anderson thing to be. Fearless in the face of evil but caring to innocent victims.

Also, I think there were bits of social commentary in there, but were too subdued. Like during the early shootout in the food court, there's the voice on the speaker that merrily goes "Food court 2 is closed due to a shootout, but food courts 3 through 4 are still open!". Or the drug of choice being an artificial way to indulge in an overused movie filming element but IRL. So it's there, but it's definitely far more underscored than it should, maybe.

I'll definitely say that I could've used a harsher condemnation of the judge system as a whole. But I always figured like this movie was laser-focused on the characters rather than the world, in making you root for Dredd and Anderson, and maybe in future movies explore why rooting for them is a bad idea. Which was the biggest reason why I was so bummed about no sequel ever.

Attached: Dredd 3D - Fanart by Ardiansyah.jpg (1280x1810, 593K)

>shitting on one of the greatest action films of the decade
That’s 20 years in the cubes, creep

Urban, bar none.

Attached: Dredd 3D - Brushie 02.gif (245x347, 1.98M)

How would a Judge Dredd movie tackle a black humor satire of mass shootings and suicide bombings?

Hot take: I liked both adaptations.

It wouldn't. But if you wanna see how the comics do it, check out Death Aid, Shooter's Night, Mutie Block or Sunday Night Fever.

Attached: Judge Dredd - Death Aid 01.jpg (593x768, 151K)

>cgi blood and gun wounds
>objectively not as good as the first Raid

>Fuck, there wasn't even any hilarious social commentary in the movie
Oh, you're retarded and need everything spoonfed to you and directly in your face, got it.