Let's discuss representation in Yea Forums media

Let's discuss representation in Yea Forums media.

I think people who want any representation should either wait for it, or ideally go make it themselves since they've clearly got the incentives and interest.

There is absolutely no right for anyone to be hogging creators to pander to them, or to be upset at creators if their work lacks representation in the fans' eyes. A creators work is always theirs first and foremost, and no fan is entitled to anything in it. You can take the ride but not control it.

Representation sure is nice for people in the group who are being represented, but they are never ever entitled to it. I say this as a minority myself, I enjoy well done rep towards my group but I will never demand that creators cater to me specifically.

Attached: 1557097505269.png (1280x901, 902K)

>ideally go make it themselves since they've clearly got the incentives and interest.
They did that and it's almost always shit

I think you havn't done any research into the subject and are trying to take what you thik is the middle ground to stoke your own ego and feel superior to both sides about an issue you personally don't care about to begin with

>you personally don't care about to begin with
I do. I mentioned I love seeing well done representation of the groups I belong to, and I think it's great for other groups to get similar treatment. I just think no one should be feeling so entitled to getting it from any creator in the first place. This is their work, not anyone else's.

I'm not sure how this can be seen as an opinion made towards feeling superior to both sides. Harassing creators or boycotting works simply for their lack of representation is a very wile thing to do in my opinion and I'm only expressing that.

not an excuse

Fuck representation.
As a minority myself, I only want a great story carried by fleshed-out characters.

Fuck agendas, and fuck your marketing schemes.

I didnt excuse anything dumbfuck

Same, that honestly should be the first goal all stories aim for before getting down to the specifics

I’m just tired of seeing “Insert ethnicity here” - Americans. I mean I get that most heroes live there but its fun seeing a different culture here and there. I want to see some International representation, man.
Stories about the struggles of being a Chicano or African American has been done to death already. Why not flesh out the rest of your earth a bit more?

Kek, is Knuckles supposed to be Native American?

This. Take the MCU movies for instance. Nearly every character is white, with only like 1 stand out minority character (Black Panther). But you know how many Chinese, Indians, Arabs, Mexicans, and Brazilians love the MCU? You'd don't see them bitching about their cultures or races not being represented.

So you're focusing on creator/audience relations. I think the audience can say whatever they want. It's not a balanced relationship. The audience provides the viewership, the end goal of the creator. However, the audience can have widely varying opinions on where they want the show to go, and it's not hard to imagine certain complaints to be coming from a vocal minority.

I know nothing of the creator's perspective. I think if there were no fandom or very little of one, their creation can be put out and they can move onto another project. Having a noticeable following has positives and negatives. I'm not sure how I feel about creators apologizing to the fandom for certain aspects of their creation. I appreciate the sentiment and willingness to listen to the concerns of the audience, but I also think it's a huge burden on the creators, depending on how much they're supported by themselves or a large company that can represents them.

>ideally go make it themselves since they've clearly got the incentives and interest.
Isnt that what they're doing? I remember people saying this to black people who complained about Hollywood in the 90s and now they got into positions of power and are casting minorities and the same people who told them to make it themselves are still angry

They made it themselves with steven universe and Yea Forums had a conniption

If you dont want media with "representation" couldnt you just go and make it yourself since there is obviously an incentive?

Who said they want media specifically WITHOUT representation?

God, you're a fucking tool. When creators promise diversity, and kill off the gay character in the episode they're introduced, then people should get angry. Otherwise, creators will keep doing it. Keep baiting their audience with promises of diversity and then backpedalling when it suits them. Creators are trying to sell a product and lying about the product is shit business.

These weak centrist arguments are put forth by people who don't want representation and are too cowardly to actually say it. It's no different from "I'd rather not see representation, than have to see bad representation." Which would be very convenient for people who don't want to see representation.

>ideally go make it themselves
That’s what the creators of Milestone media did but Milestone sadly didn’t last long and people only care about Static cause of the cartoon. Milestone didn’t last long cause comics were changing at the time and not many comic stores were caring their comics.

Attached: 0CE0433D-B344-4B25-9A1D-CE03D00C598A.jpg (1500x1160, 451K)

Representation is fine as long as that's not the sole purpose of the show. Having people push a show that's garbage for the sake of minority visibility is almost as annoying as the people who get triggered whenever a character in a show they like isn't white.

Is there any examples of that happening?

OP here. You're incorrect, these arguments aren't always put by people who dislike representation.

For me I've made sure to specify that I DO like good representation, and that I am someone of a minority group who really enjoys getting any well excuted representation of it.

What I don't like is the feeling of entitlement people sometimes show towards creators.

Representation is nice, but you're not entitled to it, and I greatly dislike those who harass creators just because they didn't do a certain thing. It goes both ways.

But I'm not talking about queerbait here? It's understandable to be upset about that when it happens (and it has to be actual queerbait, not people just seeing delusions), but it's not my point here.

So I'll specify for you, people shouldn't feel entitled to representation of any kind in a work *when it promised nothing of it*.

Representation doesn’t matter, if you can’t enjoy a cartoon because you’re oddly specific niche isn’t represetnted you’re a narcissist and a whiney faggot if you want to complain and scream about people being bigots for not making a certain percentage of characters gay.

Attached: B912D8D4-649A-48CE-8991-D88FA14E1343.jpg (1125x983, 119K)

This. Same with people who whine only because a cartoon has X group in it.

It's funny remembering the guys who complained about forced diversity in a cartoon that isn't released yet made in a fucking African county.

First you need to have a cartoon made by people from a different culture. It's not like an American is going to know what Swedish culture is like or Australians know what Chilean culture is liike.

>As a minority myself

lol here we go!

>I only want a great story carried by fleshed-out characters
It's not mutually exclusive, sport.

>Fuck agendas,
Anytime a minority or whatever is on screen for more than a few seconds it's an "agenda" so can't it be said that all the stories over the years where the hero is always White, that is also an agenda. Using your same "logic" that is, i could make that argument.

There are too many minorities in that pic Yea Forums, you get to keep pink hair girl and 2 more, the rest will get the snap.
Choose.

Attached: smile.jpg (1920x2496, 1.43M)

You keep repeating that you're of a minority group, like that means anything. It's very clear that you're trying to toe the line, without giving away that you want people to stop asking for representation. The customers are allowed to ask for representation and get mad if they don't get it. Just as much as you're allowed to complain about it. But, if you call them entitled, you're showing that you only want to stifle free speech and not get called out on it. You can't have it both ways. You're either for representation or against it and don't give me this nonsense about being for good representation. That just means that you'd rather have no representation than bad representation. A statement I only ever hear from people that don't want any representation at all.

aren't you allnarastic fucks only wanting to fuck white people?

>minorities can only make shit
okay.. then why do they deserve representation?

Rocket's okay, Icon tried really hard not to be a Superman ripoff but was just a really bad Superman ripoff. And Static is pretty fucking great, but sadly a lot of stuff it tried to do to differentiate itself from the cartoon was for the worse and not the better.

honestly i don't mind diversity as long as it's done well. really it's not the end of the world if a character is [insert not white or straight] it only becomes bad when it's all they all are...

Nah, Asian and Indian girls are fucking hot, a lot of hispanic girls look good too.

Attached: 92D739F3-B9F5-4056-B3F5-5C85F424647B.jpg (1267x1800, 187K)

>fans shouldn't ask creators to pander to them
fuck off with this
if fans want this, they should ask for it

at the end of the day, whether or not minorities are added is up to the creators/networks

you're just a fan complaining about other fans complaining
and honestly, you really have to go searching for it because nobody on Yea Forums is complaining about a lack of representation

so what's the deal OP
You tired of all your facebook, twitter, and [red]it friends wanting more diversity?

Fuck off, this isn't your blog

Attached: 7E1D27CB-1BE4-4050-8C10-88B361E919DB.jpg (570x587, 40K)

They arent “fans”, they’re just social justice bloggers trying to race bait everywhere they can.

Because that's when you get characters who speak English and randomly drop in words in their native language.

Plus it's not America's job to make media for other countries. Fucking losers can do it themselves.

As long as the writing is good, literally who cares.
Pic related is currently one of my favorite cartoon characters of the decade.

Attached: PC.png (747x1038, 197K)

It's not our job to entertain you. I'll never understand why thirdworlders expect everyone else to pander to them just for existing. Make your own goddamn media you lazy faggot

That’s a pretty reasonable stance to have

It's not your job to entertain him. But, nobody expected you to. Other people, people who produce what consumers buy, should be entertaining or the consumers will find someone else you can.
You guys love capitalism so much? This is capitalism at work. You can't argue with supply and demand, just because it doesn't suit you.

black panther being pushed as some huge cultural moment when it was just a normal marvel movie was weird to me. Not Yea Forums but that movie redtails was dogshit too

I'm sick of seeing it. its boring, lazy, unappealing, and it reminds me of childish drawings you'd find in an 8th grader's english textbook. It annoys me to no end and I am truly and utterly disgusted by it, if you enjoy this you must be a retard. I can not even begin to describe how disgusting you are if you support this. Anyone who supports this agenda deserves the worst death possible, you are such a disgusting human being and I hope you realize how horrible you are when you even begin to think of watching this you mouth-breathing faggot.

Attached: B1DF2130-017B-4EBC-8C83-BBBAC7782136.jpg (1280x960, 185K)

Black Panther made big bucks. Most black media is lucky if it gets as big as Get Out. Sure, there's Blade 2. But, Blade 2 was directed by a someone who had made it big in his own country first.
Maybe there are good examples. But, I don't think this is one of them.

This doesn't make any sense at all and I can't believe you thought this was an argument.

Attached: Huey.png (264x378, 60K)

Making big bucks doesn't mean much, fucking suicide squad made money and its terrible. I'm just saying that it got pushed as this big cultural event but its just another okay marvel movie. Not terrible not great just okay

First of all. Black Panther was the highest grossing super-hero film, when it released. So, that's a weak point to make. Second, your own subjective opinion doesn't matter shit in this context. Lastly, it won three oscars and was nominated for best picture. Black films don't get that kind of recognition. Ever.

tell this to rebecca sugar

So is this the guy Bill Maher was talking about?

Hello basedboy, I bet you jerk off to Steven universe r34

Attached: F1187B4D-5ABA-43C6-ADF9-2004763BD20B.jpg (368x554, 31K)

Rebecca Sugar isn't a writer. She's an artist and a bad artist, at that. Any show of hers would be bad, regardless of whether it was as white and blonde as the stepford wives or a mission to fit in every minority possible.

It legitimately reflects the changing demographics of this country and trying to push against it just ignores the problem.

Hey if it's wrong to jerk it to pics of blue and green chicks with off model tits and ass then call me whatever you want.