Why was one of the major characters on Captain N not even from any game...

Why was one of the major characters on Captain N not even from any game? Surely they could have featured Lana or Toadstool/Peach if they needed a princess or Samus if they wanted a strong female character?

If they made a reboot of this in some form do you want to see Lana in it again?

Attached: Lana_Pan2.jpg (280x525, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJcJTs9NUl4
youtube.com/watch?v=My8kA_6O88U
svg.com/108892/untold-truth-captain-n-game-master/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Comic Love Triangle (Lana and Samus fighting over Kevin > Cartoon Love Triangle (Kevin and Simon fighting over Lana)

So they could give the main character who's not from any game a love interest who's not from any game.

Samus in the comic has to be her best representation ever. Sure she is a strong female but that does not let her define her and is quite girly yet competent.

Apparently in the early developement stages of the show she was supposed to be Palutena (only a princess instead of a goddess)
at some point she got renamed for whatever reason

>tfw comics!Samus is an antiheroic bad girl
Should not want, but goddamn... Can we add that aspect to canon Samus? Cause it wouldn't be out of place.

I was going to say I thought she was from Kid Icarus like the eggplant guy

Apparently there were plans for a Metroid show around the time the Super Mario Super Show was in development...

Attached: pr8atkT32W1uwolooo4_1280.jpg (887x960, 183K)

Probably explains why Samus wasn't in the Captain N cartoon. They might have had plans to do a Metroid series (maybe with Guy Samus) and those fell through.

It was odd that despite the DiC Zelda cartoon crossing over with Captain N, the DiC Mario cartoon never did.

oh, hey, multiple of these concept arts recently appeared on an eBay auction
apparently they were meant to be along the lines on the Legend of Zelda cartoon

Attached: pr8atkT32W1uwolooo1_1280.jpg (868x960, 180K)

Peach/Daisy was probably off limits. Generic princess works just as well.

Attached: pr8atkT32W1uwolooo3_1280.jpg (868x960, 175K)

Attached: pr8atkT32W1uwolooo2_1280.jpg (858x960, 161K)

Awful
Horrendous
Who gives a shit?
Good...? Like, it looks and feels like Double Dragon.

I guess 1 in 4 odds aren't bad.

See, these at least get the tone of the original game ( isn't too bad, and I guess Samus being a woman wasn't exactly common knowledge)

I think the Double Dragon one did eventually get picked up

yup, it did
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJcJTs9NUl4

DiC eventually DID make their Double Dragon cartoon, but they managed to mutilate every scrap of game accuracy in design and tone as seen in that pitch art. What we got was THIS.

Attached: DoubleDogshit.png (200x260, 112K)

Euuurgh. That show was so far removed from it source material it hurts. The second season's major villain was a pennystore Scarecrow

>"kill off" Abobo in the opening miniseries and then never use him again

Fuck this show. Almost as bad as Scorpion only being in 1 episode of the Mortal Kombat cartoon.

This and the live-action movie crippled the series for a long time until 2012

she actually looks a bit like Palutena now that you mention it. with more MIDRIFF tho

Vaguely

The first two episodes are actually a pretty decent.adaptation of the game aside from turning Marian into a cop (at least the NES version, with Jimmy appearing as the final boss).

The issue is that afterwards it's all pretty much original.

youtube.com/watch?v=My8kA_6O88U

Then after the first 13 episodes they change everything up again, making the whole thing even more distant from the games.

They probably went off the NES manual for Kid Icarus. She has the same kind of bracers and waist sash thing as Lana ended up with, and a similar headband.

Attached: 2092107-palutena_nes_manual_art.jpg (260x385, 25K)

But if the DiC people had read the manual, they'd have known his name was "Pitt" and not "Kid Icarus".

Not me, but someone did a quick and dirty correction for this.

Attached: D6EJssqWsAA1XN9.jpg (1063x1200, 300K)

This show sure was a show.

Attached: captain n fucking hipster eggplant.jpg (640x480, 45K)

It's more like they just went by the in-game sprite, which would also allow them to mess up the dress' shape.

Attached: Palutenakisprites.gif (61x46, 514)

Because with a bad tv like they seemingly had considering Megaman's colors, it'd be possible to see her as just wearing a diagonal dress with the front flop, rather than a diagonal sash over a dress.

Who owns the rights to Lana? Still DiC?

I still wish this was real

Attached: Metroid Busters.jpg (1358x1920, 1.16M)

The fat comedy relief guy is perfect Hanna-Barbera tier. You can tell his entire shtick just by looking at him.

>the shocking series finale where he's fucking drained dry to a dissolving desiccated statue

Is that by Happy Harry?

This looks like a great ZAMN cartoon

Minus Julie, because girls are gross and icky and can't be brave.

Yep

I hate this, I hate everything about it, and I hate you.

>a pet mochtroid
Oh I don't have have the strength...

Attached: 1407375319456.gif (357x238, 2.2M)

Accuracy wasn't a high priority for them

Attached: nv8u88lphjs21.jpg (2048x2048, 279K)

Attached: Metroid_is_a_girl.jpg (640x346, 90K)

Attached: Untitled.png (626x474, 419K)

Nixon Cutman should still be a thing.

she wore stirrups underneath her suit/armour.

Attached: samus aran without the power suit.jpg (2610x1800, 662K)

brb, gonna summon MS and AG real quick...

Attached: The BABY.png (381x620, 689K)

Cutman is fantastic

Samus isn't still 6'3" is she?

well they haven't retconned it yet or confirmed any other height.

Reboot when?

Unlikely. Especially with Konami queefing out pachinkos

From what I heard, she was shorter in Other M, but Samus Returns made her tall again.

Yeah what was about DiC horrendous redesigns of video game characters? ok, Sonic having a mohawk instead of his figure spike hair, fine, but why did Tails looked derpy with down syndrome and brown, even the americanized tails from the cover of US sonic 2 look better.

Not doing the research and being cheap

They often made designs just based on in-game sprites.

>Nintendo wasn't much help either. For example, on Captain N, Mega Man is green, not blue. Barlow says that this was due to limited experience, a faulty recollection, and maybe even just a crappy television.

>"I played the game for [one] night on a small TV," Barlow says. "I had to rely on memory when I did the color for this pitch art." He further clarified on his Deviant Art page that he may have misremembered the details of the miscolored Mega Man, adding, "I wasn't the colorist on this art, that was handled by someone else. So the Megaman colored green thing wasn't my call."

>Regardless of who made the coloring error, it was never corrected, neither by other people who had played the game nor by "executives from DiC and Nintendo who were supposed to at least know their own franchise."

>There's a very good reason for these discrepancies: Captain N was made by animation industry professionals, not video game fans. Jeffrey Scott, who wrote every episode of Captain N's first season, only played a tiny bit of each game before penning an episode. Artist Fil Barlow only had the games themselves to use for reference. Nintendo didn't provide manuals, backstory, or any extra information. Matt Hill, who voiced Captain N, told Rolling Stone that he hasn't played a video game since Pong. Ian James Corlett, who played Mega Man's arch-nemesis Dr. Wiley, admits that the actors basically made the characters up based on their animated designs.

svg.com/108892/untold-truth-captain-n-game-master/

Now if only they'd get rid of that ugly mole that Other M disfigured her with.

>Sonic having a mohawk instead of his figure spike hair,

This was done by Sega of America, for once DiC were blameless

That rendition of the Barrier Suit is pretty neat, actually.

Only thing I don't dig is the bubble helmet (ignoring that dude inside). You'd think an animation studio would be all in on a faceless helmet like in the game since it would heavily cut back on animation costs.

Two possible reasons:
1: Captain N is an advertisement first and foremost. Saying "Pit" is all well and good, but you'll get more people to remember what game he's from if you keep saying the title. Simon got by because he was advertising the then new Simon's Quest (and why his gimmick is having a multitude of items, and he doesn't whip any candles until Season 3 advertises Castlevania III)
2: The back of the box calls him Kid Icarus and that stuck through development.

Attached: 206659-kid-icarus-nes-back-cover.jpg (800x1122, 181K)

Further emphasizing the almost Abbot and Costello routine that was "who has what reference" shuffle we know as Captain N is the two part episodes of "The Videolympics" and "Mega Trouble for Megaland". In Videolympics, Mother Brain schemes to find the find the Three Sacred Treasures, the major plot items in the game Kid Icarus. She succeeds in doing so-- and the treasures are only ever drawn spot on as the player sees them in much of the game: the caskets they're stored in after defeating a boss. At the episode's climax, Mother Brain even opens the Treasures, claiming they'll give her unlimited power, but we never see what the caskets contain, just swirling energy spews forth from them.

Attached: Captain N The Game Master 1x04 [P2G] Videolympics.avi_snapshot_15.18_[2015.05.14_21.58.18].jpg (640x480, 28K)

DHX Media

In the next episode, "Mega Trouble for Megaland", the heroes need to find three items to stop Mother Brain's control of the Three Sacred Treasures-- the Sacred Bow, the Fire Arrows, and the Proctive Crystal. These three things are also items directly pulled from Kid Icarus, and are the main power ups the player collects after enduring one of Zeus's many trials.

When Kid Icarus (the character) finds them in the possession of Medusa, they look like this-- drawn spot on matching the manual art, in fact.

The manual art for two of the ACTUAL Three Sacred Treasures: the Light Arrows and the Mirror Shield.

Attached: Captain N The Game Master 1x05 [P2G] Mega Trouble For Megaland.avi_snapshot_18.00_[2015.05.14_21.57. (640x480, 28K)

And for one more "whatever", we have a storyboard from the Season 2 episode "Gameboy", where our heroes venture to Mother Brain's planet (called "Metroid") to rescue Gameboy. The storyboards call out that the titular creatures of the NES title arrive and tangle Kevin up in their tentacles-- they're drawn, you see, accurate to the NES manual artwork here.

Attached: tumblr_inline_nwappk6SVH1r7f29r_1280.png (918x548, 636K)

And the the finished shot from the episode itself for comparison.

Attached: Captain N The Game Master 2x01 [P2G] Gameboy.avi_snapshot_17.47_[2019.05.09_16.33.39].jpg (640x480, 170K)

Is she barefoot?

infact DHX owns everything DiC now as well as their international distribution rights

For additional ???? the Season 1 episode "Metroid Sweet Metroid" has Kevin without his usual weapons and using whatever he can find in the labyrinthine planet to get to Mother Brain. Along the way he encounters a green slimy creature with tentacles at the bottom (named "Protoplasm" on its model sheet), but there's something particular about the way Kevin ultimately defeats it by first freezing it and then blasting it with a missile...

Attached: protoplasm.webm (640x480, 1.13M)

I'm glad Captain N ended in '92. Imagine if they fucked up Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, or Pokemon

What does the N stand for?

God help Kevin if went to multiverse of Fire Emblem or Nintendo Wars

NBC just didn't see money in cartoons, the third season is almost painful to watch because for as loose as the first two seasons played with accuracy or design, at least you could see where they were going. Season 3 feels like they didn't even have references to their own characters, nevermind the new material, and things play out like they were only faxxed the instruction manual TEXT at most.
Nintendo, but with cartoons getting more scrutinized at being "half hour toy commercials", they feared having a show literally called "Captain Nintendo" would cause them too much trouble. As such, "Nintendo" is never said at all during all three seasons.

Attached: Astos - from Final Fantasy.jpg (720x480, 133K)

NERRRD

Castlevania 3 episode was painful to rewatch. "Sypha" and "Alucard"

I unironically want Kevin, and even perhaps Lana in Smash.

>reveal trailer opens by showing that Kevin is the one operating Duck Hunt's Zapper

Can't forget the Poltergeist King appearing, a character who exists only in the US instruction manual!

Attached: Captain N and the New Super Mario World 103 Part 2 - Return to Castlevania.avi_snapshot_01.18_[2019. (720x480, 149K)

DiC really loved midriffs

now this is swood

I unironically like that Elec Man

Problem with Captain N/Kevin is that his gimmick wouldn't work in Smash. His whole deal was that he operates NES peripherals, but items like the Zapper and the Super Scope are drop items that anyone can use. And the Power Glove would require licensing from Mattel (though Nintendo does own Captain N as an IP since he first appeared in Nintendo Power text stories).

I'd like to see him, too, of course, but I don't see how they could make him work.

Sadly no

Dammit, it looked like she was in those ankle things that leave the foot bare