Tfw your entire existence makes it obvious you're the reincarnation of Jean Grey (aka the cosmic entity Phoenix famous...

tfw your entire existence makes it obvious you're the reincarnation of Jean Grey (aka the cosmic entity Phoenix famous for resurrections) but it's all just a collosal coincidence, impossible as it may be

Attached: Madelyne Pryor.png (1821x903, 1.42M)

Attached: Maddy_Pryor_(Earth-616)_from_Avengers_Annual_Vol_1_10_001.jpg (924x625, 243K)

someone post the panel where Cyclops runs out on his wife and child so he can go play superhero

Wait, they ended up saying it was coincidence? I thought they said she was a clone

Claremont INTENDED it to be a coincidence, but he had set up so many coincidences (looking exactly like Jean, place crash on the exact same day and time as Jean's death, lack of clear background) that it's no wonder that later writers pulled the "she's a clone" card when they brought Jean back.
Claremont really should have made Maddy not look like Jean to prevent all this, especially since it made it look like Scott hadn't really moved on from Jean at all.

*so he can reunite with his old gf

I like this one better.

Attached: Punching-Scott.jpg (1436x818, 467K)

>abandon your wife and kid for your first flame
>then cheat on her with a plastic whore
Why is Scott such a shitty person and character?

Scott mistreating Maddy and Nathan was fucking character assassination.

Attached: Maddy.gif (480x318, 1.29M)

I keep waiting for some shitty writer to give Jean a secret, undetected mutation which makes her secrete copious amounts of pheromones, making every male around her lose his fucking mind. That would explain Xavier, Scott, Logan and all the rest acting like fucking baboons in heat when she is there.

user, she's a beautiful redhead who's also a mommy. Any straight person would be heads over heels for her. Which is mindboggling why Scott cheated on her, after leaving his wife and kid for her. But it's all a moot point, since apparently now she's a slut hungry for the shitdick.

She was driving guys crazy long before she was a mommy. Shit, her first appearance is basically all X-Men lusting after her. Except for Bobby, the fucking gaylord.

Attached: jean01.png (633x320, 441K)

But Jean always was motherly, that's my point. She was the beautiful modest girl who wasn't hiding some dark slutty side. She was just wholesome and genuinely beautiful. Plus, bright red hair.

If Maddie Pryor had kept her schemes focused directly on the X-Men she would have literally done nothing wrong.

The problem is that Claremont made it pretty clear that the coincidences were just that, and Scott hadn't moved on from Jean.

1/3

Attached: 01.jpg (988x1500, 1.24M)

2/3

Attached: 02.png (988x1500, 1.84M)

3/3

Bravo Marvel. You managed to destroy Cyclops, Jean Grey, Maddy Pryor and the X-Men series itself all with one decision. Oh and Angel would soon follow by falling in love with Jean for no reason.

Attached: 03.png (988x1500, 2.09M)

That's hilarious. Anything to sell them books I guess.

It's more complex than just that.

Keep in mind: Claremont did not want Jean to die in Dark Phoenix saga. The original ending was her giving up her powers and her and Scott leaving the X-Men forever to marry and live quietly. However, close to publication Jim Shooter stepped in and decided that Marvel couldn't condone giving a good ending to a woman who was a mass murderer (this was before the PHOENIX FORCE retcon, so Dark Phoenix was literally just Jean with more powers at the time). So Shooter demanded Jean be killed off, which is the published version.

Claremont still wanted to go through with his plans, however, so he introduced a "new" Jean with some playful hint that she might just be the original, reborn like a Phoenix. But he never intended to specify one way or the other because he was under the impression that Jean was now off-limits.

Imagine his dismay when a few years later editorial decided that Jean had to come back to complete X-Factor and they completely bypassed Claremont to have John Byrne bring Jean back (based on a fan idea submitted by Kurt Busiek no less).

>and Scott leaving the X-Men forever to marry and live quietly.
This was Claremont's biggest mistake. He should have known better, there was no way an iconic superhero could ever just "retire" from the life forever.

He was supposed to have his own life but come back every now and then, not be permanently benched.

She was never intended to be Jean though. It was actually supposed to be a coincidence, to give Scott a happy ending and write him out of the book.

That's not true. it was supposed to all be an illusion by Mastermind who was driven insane by Phoenix and wanted revenge. This is foreshadowed from Maddy's very first appearance (crashed but didn't die the same time Jean died) and it would have been pottery with Mastermind tricking Jean into falling in love with illusions. We got a truncated form of the original story in the issue where Scott and Maddy get married but it had a happy ending instead.

>This was Claremont's biggest mistake. He should have known better, there was no way an iconic superhero could ever just "retire" from the life forever.

When Claremont wrote X-men the Marvel universe still had a sense of forward momentum. The concept of constantly going back to status quo and bringing characters back didn't start until the 90s, and that was when Claremont left X-men. Editorial and the artists kept demanding going back to "classic" stuff and Claremont had enough.

Turns out the bitch was Satan so it's fine to dump her, he can now marry a cute Muslim girl like Ms marvel

>cute Muslim girl like Ms marvel

Lol completely out of nowhere, literally rent free

I wish that at the end of the story, it turned out that Mastermind really was casting illusions, but Maddie was still real. Maddie would still be a redhead, but Mastermind made Scott think that she looked exactly like Jean whereas in reality they have different faces, and that Maddie really was in a plane crash, but it was on a completely different date that Mastermind had made Scott think was the same date.
Would make things less weird and would have prevented the SHE'S AN EVIL CLONE OF JEAN retcons from happening.

>Would make things less weird and would have prevented the SHE'S AN EVIL CLONE OF JEAN retcons from happening.
It wouldn't.

I wish I was in the timeline where Marvel didn't backtrack on this.

Attached: 1556696724602.jpg (1988x3056, 1.74M)

>he doesn't know

Plus, Claremont was the X-Men writer for a long time. I'm sure he knew he wasn't going to have that job forever, but he was probably hoping it'd be long enough to make these sorts of things stick.

I have no beef with Louise Simonson by why was she in control of four fifths of the X-Men universe in the late 80's instead of Chris?

I like how you really don't want to admit all those characters acted like shitheads, it was all Jean's fault

>I'm not a misogynist, but...

because shes a mind diver. and those assholes have no expectations of privacy, so making men fight for her seems like a natural conclusion

I think Chris was getting tired. Uncanny was also coming out twice a month so he needed to have those scripts on time.

Who did, exactly?

Nobody was a creep when she was around. For all we know, Jean never really went out with anyone until Scott. Warren tried, but was rejected. Xavier might have been Prof Perverto, but he kept that shit to himself. Logan was in love with her, but he never really did anything about it. What was the appropriate behavior?

>my headcanon is actual canon
Funny how fanboys always find excuses for OOC behavior regarding their favorite character but are perfectly willing to throw characters they dislike under the bus for the same reason.

Just read Claremont's run up to Inferno and it's interesting seeing the stuff that later got retconned or made up. Beast has essentially zero appearances which is interesting because he's always thought of as a core character. The Wolverine / Sabretooth feud is really abrupt and only starts in the late 80's. The famous Scott - Jean - Logan love triangle is pretty much nonexistent.

>Beast has essentially zero appearances which is interesting because he's always thought of as a core character. The Wolverine / Sabretooth feud is really abrupt and only starts in the late 80's. The famous Scott - Jean - Logan love triangle is pretty much nonexistent.
Blame the 90's cartoon.

>The concept of constantly going back to status quo and bringing characters back didn't start until the 90s
I disagree, John Byrne famously coined the term "illusion of change" years before this Phoenix/Maddy fiasco happened.

>Beast has essentially zero appearances
I'd say that Iceman is even more shafted than Beast. At least Beast got to be in the Dark Phoenix Saga, and Angel had some appearances as well.

I feel like Beast is probably one of the first 5 X-Men anyone would name which is crazy because he had probably 3 appearances in the whole Claremont run. I'd guess it's because of pic related which lead to X-Men TAS.

Attached: lee x-men 001.jpg (3060x1217, 834K)

In other words, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Got it.

He also has a design that is memorable.

The more X-Men I read the more I appreciate Morrison and his approach.