SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME Details From Director Jon Watts

>Spider-Man: Homecoming was about Peter wanting to be step up while everybody viewed him as a kid. Spider-Man: Far From Home is about Peter wanting to stay a kid while everybody tells him to step up.

>The movie was inspired the “European vacation” teenage movies of the 1980’s, and really ramps up the scale of the action, which was purposefully kept more grounded in Spider-Man: Homecoming to remind people of what Spider-Man represents.

>The movie is set shortly after Avengers: Endgame and introduces the Multiverse, which includes branched timelines. Mysterio and the Elementals arrive from a parallel universe through a rift in the space-time continuum created by the snap.

>The movie will explore the “ground-level” repercussions of the snap, like Peter and his friends having to catch up on their studies while several of their friends have already graduated and are in college.

>Nick Fury is trying to rebuild SHIELD after being gone for five years, and one of his main goals is assembling a new team to protect the world now that the Avengers are gone, with the Elementals being their first mission.

>Happy Hogan is struggling with his grief and focusing on trying to be a good advisor to Peter.

>Aunt May was disintegrated by the snap too.

>Numan Acar's character Dimitri may or may not be the Chameleon.

>The Vulture and his daughter Liz aren’t in the movie.

fandango.com/movie-news/exclusive-interview-spider-man-far-from-home-director-jon-watts-breaks-down-that-wild-new-trailer-753743

Attached: Far From Home.png (1149x573, 1.15M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RjzC1Dgh17A
youtube.com/watch?v=IvR8oFYSlLQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>The movie is set shortly after Avengers: Endgame and introduces the Multiverse, which includes branched timelines. Mysterio and the Elementals arrive from a parallel universe through a rift in the space-time continuum created by the snap.
The Multiverse was already established in Doctor Strange, and I remain skeptical that either of those things are from an alternate universe

Attached: Strange Dark Dimension.jpg (1280x720, 336K)

Is this some weird good guy Mysterio timeline or are we going to get a good old fashioned backstab?

Look into your heart and you'll know the answer.

Is he gonna get drunk on Absinthe? Have sex with her aunt?

>is the lying liar who lies telling the truth

It's annoying how they keep centering Spider-Man around SHIELD stuff. Convenient relative that happens to be villain is better than this.

Right, but there’s sort of a tonal difference between the parts of the multiverse Strange deals with, which are filled with psychedelic imagery, foundational laws that their universes are built on that don’t work like ours, and godlike beings that can grant power across dimensions, and the more “In this alternate future, Black Widow and Cap had a kid”, “In this alternate present, Aunt May got bitten by the spider” type worlds. This story seems to be playing with the latter, where there’s a world much like ours, with humans and their own superhero tech.

Jeeze Pete can't catch a break huh? Lost 3 adult/parent figures so far and not even 20

>introduces the Multiverse, which includes branched timelines. Mysterio and the Elementals arrive from a parallel universe through a rift in the space-time continuum created by the snap.
This just legit bugs me. Like, why are we getting villains who should be in the same universe leaking over from other dimensions? I feel like this is a dangerous crutch to set up.

He was snapped for the exact same time period as she was, that one doesn’t count.

>The Vulture and his daughter Liz aren’t in the movie.
But Keaton was attached before we even knew the name.
Is he maybe just in a post-credits scene?

Ah shit you're right. my bad

Is it weird that I didn't take this as the Multiverse but just the layers of one reality? Like how in the comics, the 9 realms were pocket universes on top of Midgard?

I'm guessing that Mysterio won't actually be from a multiverse.

I like what I'm hearing, but I'm still betting Mysterio is lying. Elementals may actually be from a different universe and Mysterio just tagged along for the ride.
>Pete's friends have already graduated and are in college
Black Cat /ss/ when
>Avengers are gone
I guess that makes sense, since there's not really much of a team left. Endgame didn't really end with people gathering to decide who's taking up the reigns.

Also if Watts is on SM3, then odds are it'll be a wacky college movie please

The fact that is' fucking Mysterio has lead a lot of us to just assume that he's making all that shit up about the multiverse, and even the elementals.

Honestly I'd be kind of pissed if they actually played it straight and he really was from an alternate universe.

Tbh as hyped as I was for them to use the term multiverse period in Doctor Strange it was misleading and not really accurate. Strange was dealing more with inter dimensional stuff. Which is funny because when Thor first came out they tried to say Asgardians were interdimensional beings. But really they were just on a very far away planet.

My guess is he is playing it straight, but in reality he's teaming up with the Mysterio of the MCU to make him look like a hero

I get the feeling it's literally only there to set up for the X-Men's inevitable introduction. There is legit no other way for them to be in this universe.

That's even worse! Why would X-Men care to be in the MCU?

Also, is it just more, or does MCU Spider-Man bug anyone else a lot more than any other MCU film in terms of errors and missed opportunities? From 8 Years later, to Aunt May discovering Peter's identity as a gag?

Why is everyone memeing about multiverse suddenly?

The 5 year time skip is so fucking stupid it fucks up so many narratives

See I don’t know, this is technically Sony we’re talking about and those execs are pure idiots

Mysterio could be an alternate dimension sorcerer supreme

Like?

Pete being coached by SHIELD is no different from Ultimate series or even that one cartoon

>That's even worse! Why would X-Men care to be in the MCU?
Because Disney and the ''''fans'''' want it? Disney confirmed that they want to eventually put them in the MCU somehow.

Not him, but here are some really obvious problems that Marvel is going to run into.
>>Introducing new characters who somehow have families unaffected by the snap. Like, imagine how they introduce Kamala Khan. Did her whole family and her friends all get snapped?
>>You know directors will forget the 5 year gap and claim it's "Current Year"
>>There will probably be no fallout, like how after the Avengers, nobody gave a real shit that they discovered aliens, and likely they will ignore the existential crisis of half the Earth dying and coming back and what that implies to an afterlife.

I know that, but if the X-Men are from another dimension, why the fuck would they go
>>"This is a nice place. We should stay here!"
and then gets even more annoying cause it makes mutants just immigrants that people will hate, and the obvious answer is "Why don't they go back to their own fucking dimension? Why are they attached the the MCU they aren't a part of?"

>You know directors will forget the 5 year gap and claim it's "Current Year"
Almost everything from phase one was retconned to take place in the span of a week. As long as nobody explicitly moves the timeline forward, it's easy to just have it all stay in 2023 until the real world catches up.

>I'd be kind of pissed if they actually played it straight and he really was from an alternate universe.
Why

Mutants already exist in the MCU in very sparse numbers (Xavier, Magneto, Logan, Apocalypse, etc.)

The snap causes the 50% of the population that returns to manifest the latent mutant X-gene, and the radiation causes the remaining 50% to begin manifesting it as well.

Xavier and Magneto, friends up until that point, diverge on how to deal with this and have a falling-out, leaving to recruit their respective factions of impossibly attractive superpowered twentysomethings.

>Mysterio and the Elementals arrive from a parallel universe through a rift in the space-time continuum created by the snap.
This bugs me. Wouldn’t it be more in-character for Mysterio to be lying about being from another universe?

Attached: 4773D892-091C-44B5-ABEE-71FF156F0A87.gif (460x426, 782K)

>The movie was inspired the “European vacation” teenage movies of the 1980’s
"DUDE THE EIGHTIES LMAO"
I hate this fucking trend

Attached: 1451413577091.jpg (480x360, 48K)

To be fair, the 80’s is where most movie genres peaked.

Dimensions =/= universes, why is this hard for people to understand? I get that the movies fuck it up, but keep it straight in your own head.

Who the fuck was ruling over wakanda for the last 5 years, does tchalla get to take the throne back by default or does he have to fight for it again?

Russo brothers said otherwise. Why are these movies not consistent?

Attached: 1367181324719.png (505x897, 347K)

Because think of how muddy it will get when it becomes "Who is from the MCU and who is from an alt world"
Will a MCU Quentin Beck come to power who is different than the alt universe one?

Part of me thinks this is a Sony trick, so they can then say their Spider-man spinoff films are part of the MCU multiverse

Any industry that hits $1 billion dollar earnings tends to go to shit. The 80's was the last bastion of originality and practical effects, the 90's was the last bastion of innovative video games, and the 2000's had the first boom of the internet. Now all three areas SUCK!

Who cares at this point. It's not like the writing of the MCU is perfect anyways

That's like saying Suns aren't Stars.
I mean, look at how Endgame baffled people with the time travel rules and then they broke it at the end of the film.

No it wasn’t though, also the majority of the films take place in the year they were released. This is just going to make things needlessly complicated... it would be one thing if this meant the movies were going to take a break in between those 5 years but Disney would never let that happen

>There are actually TWO Mysterios
I like that

Are you fucking retarded?

>>Who cares at this point
That's exactly when a franchise crashes. The MCU at least tries to have a semblance of rules and logic, and the moment that stops mattering is when it will all fall apart.

I kind of know what you mean, and while you could use the word "multiverse" to refer to the linked universe Strange deals with, it seems clear that dimensions like the mirror dimension and astral dimension are not worlds that branched off from ours at some point in time, but a fundamentally different planes that exist in relation to our reality. Others, if they branched, branched so long ago or in such a significant way as to not have meaningful parallels at all.

I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that Vulture is leading the villains in Amazing Spider-Man. I guess he's going lead the Sinister Six.

Very convenient for Pete's solo movies that literally everyone he knows got snapped.

I'm pretty sure that will be all of the future MCU films. Cassie Lang is probably the only person who will be affected by the snap.

>Nick Fury is trying to rebuild SHIELD
No fucking let it stay dead but I guess with no SHIELD Nick has nothing to do and Feige wanks Ultimate Spider-Man like no tomorrow.

this

Attached: oliver harper poster.jpg (1280x720, 243K)

Are they pulling the Mysterio being from another universe plot from Spider-Men? In which Ultimate Mysterio went to the 616 universe.

Maybe that's what prompts their trip together, even though not all of them got along before, like Peter and Flash. One of them suggests that it's like fate that brought them to that moment, and a sign that they're supposed to go on this adventure together.
youtube.com/watch?v=RjzC1Dgh17A

Still annoying.

Doesn't that happen in Bendis' Spider-Men, I really don't remember much of what happens in that comic other than Mysterio crossing to the 616 dimension and him posing as 616 Mysterio for awhile.

Directors saying random shit outside the movies =/= inconstancy

I mean there’s precedent. Read Spider-Men.

Mysterio of Earth 616 fucks around with the Ultimate U to feel like a bigshot

Everyone knows this and it's kind of annoying but I guess in a world were they push the whole EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED shit and in a world were people know he's a teen I guess it makes sense.

>Mysterio of Earth 616 fucks around with the Ultimate U to feel like a bigshot
I thought it was the other way around, fuck I really need to re-readthat story but then again Bendis.

616 Mysterio finds dimensional breach. Realizes he has a goldmine of a world where people seem to stat dead and lower overall power level. Steals some supervillain tech on the downlow (not using his usual gimmicks) and uses remote control robots to go there and fuck with alt versions of everyone he hates. Defenstrates Fisk. Learns Peter Parker is Spider-Man after his Ultimate Death.

Treats entire world like a playground until his Parker accidentally finds the place and gets zapped to the Ultimate world. Shenanigans ensue. Beck a prisoner of Ult U Shield until Secret Wars and the Eighth iteration of reality and beck is back in 616 continuity with no memory of all that or who Peter even is.

And Morgan Stark.

>616 Mysterio finds dimensional breach. Realizes he has a goldmine of a world where people seem to stat dead and lower overall power level. Steals some supervillain tech on the downlow (not using his usual gimmicks) and uses remote control robots to go there and fuck with alt versions of everyone he hates.
Wow, that sounds like...definitely what they're adapting in this movie.

What if their earth has mutants, what if avengers vs X-Men ends up being combined with secret wars and they fight to save their Earths.

What issues does this cover? I wanna read it

I remember almost nothing about Homecoming. Did Liz leave the school? Or is Liz out of the movie cuz she avoided the snap and is 5 years older.

I think she had to leave school and move to another state since Vulture got arrested.

I have to say, I've heard idea like this a lot, and I still really don't like it. Using alternate dimensions as a way to introduce mutants rather than finding a way to introduce them organically in the MCU story first is basically throwing in the towel and saying "We'll just import them from a different story that was set up offscreen". And no, I don't think introducing Mysterio, a single Spider-Man villain, that way is comparable. This just adds to his Mystery and ability to confuse and decieve those around him, because he could be anyone, he's not from the same Earth. Part of Mutant's themes are that they pop up anywhere and everywhere, from ordinary humanity, and humans don't entirely know how to deal with that, even if it comes from their own neighbors, their own family, because there's familiarity but also an element of "the other" at the same time.

>aunt man died
NOOOOOO THE RUSSOS PROMISED LAST YEAR THAT SHE LIVED

Ult Mysterio appears initially in Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #3 and this story concludes in the first Spider-Men crossover.

>original = good

This is why people say that Yea Forums is the dumbest fucking board

Attached: [palpable disgust].png (337x334, 172K)

>Implying advertisement copy writing would out-and-out spoil the movie

This. Which is also why the topic of whether Cap's retirement was a time loop or an alternate timeline will never be resolved unless somebody in-canon decides to do something with the concept.

t. ms paint retard

endgame already established it had to be an alternate timeline.

I believed that until the writers came out and contradicted what the directors said like, two days before. Christopher Markus basically said what the MSpaint autist said about Cap not taking a stone, so there was no branch reality. They can't even agree internally, so how can you even say there's a definitive answer?

>The Avengers are gone
So every fucking person retired? Wanda, Rhodey, Sam, Scott, Banner? It seems kind of weird that everyone is comfortable with disbanding the superfriends immediately after the biggest disaster in history was narrowly solved

HOW CONVENIENT.

Not him, but I hope it isn't that simple. I hope he isn't some secret villain. That would just be lame, especially since Jake Gyllenhaal is playing the role. If they wanted some two-dimensional secret villain, they could have casted a worse actor, but since they chose Gyllenhaal, I want to hope that they actually have a more nuanced Mysterio portrayal in store for us.

>Mysterio and the Elementals arrive from a parallel universe through a rift in the space-time continuum created by the snap.
I hope that the "big twist" isn't that Mysterio and the Elementals are secretly working together.

Hell, if the mutants come from another dimension, then it becomes "They're immigrants", but worse cause why can't they go back to their home dimension?

Okoye appeared to be in charge. M'Baku might have been alive. Or Shuri. Or T'Challa's mom. Any one of them would have stepped down when he returned.

shit way to introduce the multiverse because i bet by the end of the movie Mysterio is a dumb lying fuck who staged the entire thing. and is just a guy from somewhere pretending to be from the multiverse because after the snap basically anything scifi is just possible.

The twist will be he IS lying but probably took his tech from stuff that fell out of the multiverse.

>I hope that the "big twist" isn't that Mysterio and the Elementals are secretly working together.
The twist is that the Elementals are just special effects, and Mysterio uses illusions to commit crimes while looking like a hero

Pete wasn't coached by SHIELD until near his death in Ultimate. Unless you mean the cartoon in which case fuck you, that was terrible.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was the other way around. Ultimate Mysterio was just a remote-controlled puppet of 616 Mysterio who had found a way to send objects to other dimensions and was using robots to stage interdimensional heists.

Which makes Fury a retard for falling for it.

Because the laws of time travel as laid out within the movie work in a consistent and logical manner which negate the possibility of loops.

>I remain skeptical that either of those things are from an alternate universe
Yeah, I would be shocked if Mysterio wasn't faking monster attacks for some reason.

I wouldn't actually be shocked if this is the case considering we know from that infamous clip that Amy Pascal was 100% attempting to make people think Venom was part of the MCU.

youtube.com/watch?v=IvR8oFYSlLQ

I guess though you could also argue that this means Marvel can throw Sony a bone and safely give Venom a post-credits cameo or whatever to shut Sony up, considering if it's in an alternate universe or timeline or whatever, it doesn't have to have any bearing on the main plot.

Everyone falls for it for a while

If there's anything to be taken away from his last two film appearances, it's that Fury definitely is retarded.
>it was just a cat
>could have called any time but didn't

That's solid

>Showing retardation while calling someone else retarded.
Classic.

A dimension is an aspect of a single universe. We typically think of interacting with 4 of them, but also know that there are more in our universe.

A universe is a separate set of dimensions.

You're right, but in Dr Strange they talk about dimensions AND universes seperately and correctly.

You're retarded, there are multiple dimensions with multiple 3D(or more Ds) universes on top of each other.

A dimension isn't a universe. The second dimension is a dimension, not a universe, the third dimension is a dimension with access to the previous dimensions, not a universe.

Universes exist WITHIN dimensions.

so is there a chance to see a version of Tony still alive then?

>I hope that the "big twist" isn't that Mysterio and the Elementals are secretly working together.
>>>
The twist is that Tom Holland goes through the portal for five minutes and runs into Tobey Maguire

>ultimate/superior tony mix in white armor showing up to help Peter once, with black widow wife at his side, giving RDJ and ScarJo a cameo
Please. One thing. All this time, in the mcu I never craved anything. Just now. Just this one thing.

Attached: ironwidow22.jpg (1400x1846, 1.07M)

>>Nick Fury is trying to rebuild SHIELD
So I wonder if Peter is first going to be an agent despite being dubbed an Avenger by uncle Tony.

The Avengers were already broken up in Infinity War for the most part. Tony and Cap just happened to fight Thanos at the same time. There was no coordination. Everyone only came together in Endgame because those two made up and led everyone. Without either of its leaders the team has no foundation and splits up to pursue self interests. This was demonstrated as early as the first Avengers film.

Well in Spider-Man alone it creates the narrative contrivance that it just so happens that everyone who was in Peter’s circle all died in the snap because a 5 year timeskip would result in them having to be mostly written out or aged up. Hell, it’s now been changed that Aunt May died when it was originally stated she survived Infinity War

Since Kevin gave Disney the second highest grossing film of all time as of now, I bet if he asked "get me the spider man rights so Snoy can fuck off" then Disney would do whatever they can to make it happen
Dude is literally the king of Hollywood right now but if Sony is trying to get in his way they're going to have a bad time so they better play ball and do what he wants

>Fury
You mean chameleon?

>DC multiverse shit
kys

Yes you autist and people use them interchangebly in fiction.

> I get that the movies fuck it up, but keep it straight in your own head.

What are you trying to fucking argue faggot? I cant change the movies dialogue. You're sperging out over nothing.

Nah, Fury and Shield agents were in pretty early issues of Ultimate Spider-Man

Maybe Myserio's lying but the Elementals really are from another universe