Mahou Shoujo

Why are there no "magical girl" superheroes? The industry's always bitching about lack of female readers and young girls eat shit like this up.

And no, Zatanna doesn't count.

Attached: sample_91a9ec02d395772ff1f49b87df3910c4.jpg (850x1202, 254K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pkd5mYvKWig
youtu.be/_vGpH0axpvc
youtube.com/watch?v=A9diob_eSJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=wXedIG0vduk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

theres fucking loads.

Well Amethyst...

Is Amethyst still not in main DC anymore?
Last time I saw her she was a weird warrior woman in the New 52.

Mildly related
How is DC Superhero Girls doing?

Attached: batgirls.png (1280x840, 288K)

Doesn’t Mary Marvel count?

She's in Bendis' Young Justice.

Is it good? Or Bad?
Bendis has always been hit or miss for me, so whats your opinion on it user?

Im reading it and I think its just "ok" for now. The biggest problem I have is how rushed everything feels, Its like bendis has these great moments in his head but doesn't know how to get to them, and when the moments happen its happens so quickly i dont feel any weight or emotion in them.

Still the most kino piece of animation DC has put out in the 2010s.

youtube.com/watch?v=pkd5mYvKWig

Ah okay.
Do they introduce Gemworld? Or at least mention it? If they don't then that's a deal breaker for me.

Gemworld is the first major arc. I say give it a shot if you like amethyst.

well, italiens made something called Witch, and Winx Club
no idea, if it counts

>posts wonder woman
Yeah her spinning transformation qualifies?

It’s getting good views.

Has she done that since the JLU animated series?

>Has she done that since the JLU animated series?
She has been doing off and on since the 70s show

Is there? Closest example I can think of is Billy Batson.

Attached: Shazam! 1.png (998x1416, 1.73M)

Kamala bitches!

Attached: tumblr_n0jkpfwleP1trcznbo1_r4_500.jpg (500x700, 101K)

Clearly the solution is to give Mary Marvel a huge push.

>And no, Zatanna doesn't count.
I mean...yes she does? Why the fuck wouldn't she? Mahou shoujo is a VERY loose genre in Japan. They don't need sentai style transformation sequences. If they're a girl that uses magic, they're a magical girl. The term basically just means witch.

Attached: 73945.jpg (357x500, 106K)

enchantress for one

This. It's like saying that you are not a superhero if you don't have a cape and a symbol on your chest.

Attached: Raven-098123.png (421x640, 573K)

Attached: 1453521382001.png (680x844, 152K)

Loli Zatanna and Wonder loli ongoing when?

Attached: iloL annataZ.jpg (210x240, 6K)

I honestly wish Diana was more of a magical girl type. Maybe then, editorial would stop forcing the warrior shtick so hard. Like, yes, she's an Amazon, but for fucks sake.

Also, it would be cute.

I would read/watch the shit out of Bat-Powerpuff Girls.

There are some half-assed attempts at magical girls in the indie comic scene. But, Western writers don't quiiite get what makes them work. They just like the trappings.

Do they show tits mid Transformation? No? Then they'll never be better than Cutie Honey

>I would read/watch the shit out of Bat-Powerpuff Girls.

Why can't DC see that a Babs, Cass, and Steph team would be hugely popular? Why can we have multiple Robins but not multiple Batgirls?

Attached: Batgirls.jpg (650x1000, 124K)

Because editorial is full of morons who are obsessed with the originals of certain mantles, to the point of going out of their way to shit on legacies.

Never mind that it's just sound business to team up a group of popular characters, Babs is the original Batgirl(we'll just conveniently ignore that Bette Kane exists), so Steph and Cass must be thrown under the bus. Retards.

Babs was better as Oracle, by the way.

>Western writers don't quiiite get what makes them work.
Because indie writers always trying to subvert, deconstruct, or "darken" things that they watched as a kid and it rarely works. It's always just Sailor Moon but if she was like me and my friends and more punk rocker grrl.

Examples?

And really as someone who enjoys the genre, magical girls are basically superhero stories but with an all female cast and and usually a crush/romantic subplot that gets in the way

How hard can it be to write it well?

The part of me that likes Power Pack would dig on the concept.

To be fair, the reason for that is that audiences vocally demand complex and original storytelling, and harshly criticize anything that is simple or "predictable". Most creators do want to satisfy their viewers, so many of them grasp at something that, frankly, does not exist.

>complex and original storytelling, and harshly criticize anything that is simple or "predictable".
Which in no way requires subversion, deconstruction, or darkening. I'd say the bigger issue with most western writers attempts at magical girls is that there simply isn't the depth of product offering like there is in Japan, so "Sailor Moon but she's a punk rock self-insert plus 'real world' issues" provides an automatic standout to the wide perception of the genre in America.

That's Mahou Shonen

Just read Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya.

youtu.be/_vGpH0axpvc

There's that one that Kate Leth wrote. And one that is literally what the poster above you described. I remember it had the girls all wearing letter jackets and just looking all "punk" and butch.

Magical girl stuff is aimed at young girls and aging otaku pervs. It's the same reason Western yaoi comics don't work. The insistance on pushing Western (Well, [CURREN YEAR]) social issues combined with a complete lack of what kids want and some horrid artwork just sets this stuff up to fail.

Better off just reading some Cutey Honey or Rayearth or something and calling it quits.

Let me put it this way: Would you call Goku a superhero?

He fits the description of one, right? He can fly. He can punch things really hard. He can move really fast. He can shoot energy blasts from his hands. He has saved the entire Earth and the entire universe a few times. He's even an alien from a foreign galaxy. He checks every mark on the "stuff people think when they hear the world 'superhero'" checklist.

But he still isn't a superhero, because that's not what Akira Toriyama was going for. That wasn't his intention. He wrote Goku as a martial artist who loves a challenge. It's the same with Zatanna and Raven.

Just because you have the ingredients for a specific recipe doesn't mean that's what comes out the oven.

>tfw the west will never match the magnum opus of magical girls

Attached: 81rgpMCQo8L._RI_.jpg (1600x1200, 270K)

is that actually a thing?

Yes, but it's comparatively rare.

You're conflating two series. Power Up! by Kate Leth and Jade Street Protection Services by Katy Rex.

It is.

Pic related is a winner.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Nah. I fucked up in my description. I meant to say that there was a Kate Leth one and another one that was literally what the other dude described. I'm lazy when I am a phone poster.

I'd watch something like this. Give it to TRIGGER even.

haha what the fug

This one is pretty good, but the art is mediocre to straight-up trash.

Attached: Zodiac Starforce.jpg (416x640, 161K)

Precure just recently introduced the first magical boy in their series

Cute Boys High Earth Defense Club LOVE!

First two seasons are great stuff.

Would she be more magical if she had a skirt?

Attached: Wondy henshin.gif (445x250, 1.99M)

That's not Honey.

Attached: 554b8ee7c5bb84c2f318a6c317acefc8.jpg (800x998, 125K)

WW now wears a skirt.

Honey isn't a magical girl; she's an android.

She's a transforming hero, which has overlap into the magical girl genre.

I think you're thinking of the specific Sailor Moon clone brand of magical girl/superhero blend. And that makes sense because that's become its own genre and kind of eclipsed everything else in the popular consciousness, especially in the West. But the magical girl subgenre goes back to the '60s (some people even say the '50s).

Not all of them are superhero comics. Until relatively recently most of them were silly comedies. Think Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Wendy Witch. In terms of what the characters were like, they typically resembled Zatanna more than anything else. Having been influenced by things like Mary Poppins and (especially) Bewitched, they frequently featured girls, often dressed as cute, Halloweeny versions of stereotypical Western witches, who can do basically anything with their magic, generally through some kind of incantation or gesture. Sometimes they mess them up or they have unintended consequences, with comedic results. There are lots of other things they could b, though. It's a very loosely-defined genre.

That said, yeah, I get your meaning. You see a lot of Sailor Moon influence but you'd think they'd be more aggressive about trying to copy it. There were some efforts to get in on the Sailor Moon train early on that didn't pan out, so maybe that sort of explains it.

youtube.com/watch?v=A9diob_eSJ8

We did get Winx Club and W.I.T.C.H. and Angel's Friends (sort of a combination of Sailor Moon and The Gary Coleman Show). Those are all Italian, though.

More recently we've been seeing more, though, as people who grew up with Sailor Moon enter the industry. There were those Amethyst shorts. The new She-Ra and the Princesses of Power has notable influence from Sailor Moon. And of course there's this.

youtube.com/watch?v=wXedIG0vduk

I think we can expect a lot more where that came from.

YES. Also, just more Mary Marvel and Marvel Family in general.

I sorta write one. But I'm not interested in aping or heavily borrowing from Japanese traditions. So it's sorta like that Talking Heads song where they tried to make a Joy Division song without ever having listened to Joy Division.

Attached: SH_04_016.png (1110x747, 600K)

Yeah, I'd be way into more (original Diana) Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot adventures. Having her go on cute adventures on Themyscira, exploring ruins, wrestling serpents, riding kangas and boxing giant kittens. You could even toss in some dark mythological undertones and foreshadowing if you must as long as it's in the background and doesn't affect the tone.

Remember that New 52 Wonder Woman #0? I don't really care for Azarello in general but I kinda dug that issue.

I think the problem is that "magical girl" is a very vague categorization. OG Sabrina the Teenage Witch (teen hijinks spinoff of Archie), ABC Sabrina (family sitcom), and Netflix Sabrina (supernatural horror drama) are all magical girl series.

I just wanted to say that I agree with all of this.

like shazam

Oh! And Steven Universe, obviously. It's not a magical girl show, but it's clearly influenced by Sailor Moon.

Oh, is that StarHammer? I've been meaning to check that out. I've heard good things. Maybe I'll get started later.

>Why are there no "magical girl" superheroes?
She already exists.

Attached: 7c992124d1a3dea8aa4765cb5086baf7.jpg (768x872, 233K)

Yeah. I hope you like it. I love the idea of superhero magical girls. This is a bit more slice-of-life meets Green Lantern/Blue Beetle III than Sailor Moon.

Oh, and Star vs. the Forces of Evil, too.

And her own show soon, I hope

There are...

Attached: 1553193448892.webm (800x450, 2.92M)

The weird thing about Wondy is that when you actually examine her as a character and a concept, she fits much more in the pulp genre than as a superhero. Sure, she has powers and all, but the whole patrolling a city thing just doesn't suit her.

Even though she made a home in Boston, Gateway, and D.C, she still did a ton of travelling. Hell, even the current series has her on a quest, complete with party members. Diana just isn't a traditional superhero, and I think it's time we all accepted that.

he looks like a chad Steven Universe in the best possible way

I think Stargirl counts as a magical girl, She is cute has a "magic" staff and is charming.
But I think is a matter of Marketing, DC/Marvel comics don't sell to the magical girl demographic.

Attached: d68uxlf-5fa49794-d145-4f36-9d77-f225ff73fdcb.png (800x960, 387K)

>I think Stargirl counts as a magical girl,
She should she fits the criteria

Attached: dc-universes-stargirl-series-will-be-a-reimagining-dc-comics-justice-society-and-include-stripe-soci (1500x844, 196K)

WW needs to be a globe-trotting superheroine with a sprawling supporting cast that can be rotated in and out according to story needs with a couple of anchors for long-term setup.

Wonder Woman as Richard Dragon? Like the mod karate phase but with her powers and costume? Maybe doing spy stuff like the TV show but around the world? I could get behind that.

Absolutely. She's always travelling around anyway, so it just makes sense, really. Also, you could have the Amazons leave the island and set up bases in various locations around the world.

In fact, now that I think about it, her rogues never really stick to one place either. Well, maybe Circe, but magical islands can move if needed.

I think what they should do is drop Diana being the ambassador and instead make her a Themysciran advocate at the UN, allowing them to get the storytelling opportunities of the ambassador setup while also not needed to dance around Themyscira's actual political positions. It'd also open her up to conflict with Themyscira that doesn't involve some the Amazons having some terrible secret, instead it's simply Diana's idealism running up against cynical realpolitik.

>Would you call Goku a superhero?
No? He's certainly a good-natured protagonist, but he isn't a "hero" in the literary sense. He basically only dealt with threats as they came to him which had a direct impact on him.

A self-serving individual with his abilities would have taken most of the same actions for the sake of survival or protecting those closest to him. Nothing Goku does could be considered heroics in that regard. Fuck's sake he was originally written more or less as a sociopath.

thanks for bringing this to my attention, I really like magical girl stuff and I'm always looking for web comics with it

Forget magic girls, where are the Kamen Riders and Ultramen of the west?

Attached: images(3) (2).jpg (264x191, 20K)

In fact, there's an actual in fucking universe example of a superhero, his own god damn son.

Ultimately, though, even if there wasn't a counterexample, your argument falls apart because superhero and magical girl are not defined in similarly.

As I previously stated, there are plenty of magical girl series with virtually no trope overlap. It really is pretty much just used to mean witch and refers to any series where the focus is a girl learning or using magic. It's more of a subject matter than an archetype. That's not to say it didn't popularize certain tropes, but the tropes it popularized aren't even fucking unique to magical girl series. There's massive overlap with sentai.

Attached: 1155583-untitled_1.png (300x450, 208K)

Yeah, exactly. That's what I was trying to get at. So it doesn't really make sense to say that Raven and especially Zatanna aren't magical girls. I assume OP meant the specific Sailor Moon blend of magical girl and superhero with fashion and tokusatsu influences.

Attached: 1542098769290.jpg (858x715, 147K)

Attached: 1521986833487.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

That's not a mahou shoujo..!
That's a NIGGER!!!

Pretty funny too. Never finished it. I'll have to get around to it.

Stargirl is close to being one

She's in the YA line now