20th Anniversary of The Authority

Two decades in and has any comic been as influential as this gem?

Attached: 91vLJkgsW-L.jpg (1400x2153, 531K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sequart.org/magazine/2461/censorship-of-the-authority/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's a good question. One that had such lasting effect as Authority? I don't think so. We've mostly seen fads that died quickly.

Are they still around? I thought Captain Atom killed them all

Ultimates for modern comics

Influential?
Never read it myself so genuinely curious what it influenced.

Ultimates was just a continuation of the Authority in a bigger Big Two book.

Cinematic widescreen storytelling in comics. It's literally trying to make a comic look like a blockbuster movie in widescreen format. Compare the Authority and Ultimates vol. 1 to books that came before them, and you'll see what it means. It was new and radical for its time and influenced a lot of people the same way Watchmen's deconstruction and more adult approach to capeshit did.

Threw my old president in a pit filled with Timorese,ha!
Too bad the comics don't translate well in real life because the guy is still around (and even got a movie). The guy is celebrated for getting rid of those rascals and helping sort out the clusterfuck that was the 90s.

Attached: Loooool.jpg (2634x2384, 1.98M)

I couldn't even imagine someone doing Authority today. People would be complaining so fucking much there'd be no end to it.

Yep. It was the definitive culmination of this trend

Millars run was heavily censored actually. The reason that pic is uncolored is cuz DC made them change it.

sequart.org/magazine/2461/censorship-of-the-authority/

I've never read it because of the gay shit in this but I really like the edgyness of Ultimates and sometimes I wonder if Authority is like this.

IIRC, they have a Captain America parody rape Apollo and get raped by Midnighter

IIRC the uncensored version was colorized and printed in the latest Absolute release

>rape
I dunno if a jackhammer up your arse counts as rape

With a jackhammer.

I know that. I don't hate it though.
Timor was a big powder keg and I won't deny that we screwed them over but that guy really didn't deserve it. He was just an unwilling lackey, Soeharto probably committed most of those things Apollo is accusing him of.

>Expecting an American comic book writer to have a nuanced and educated understanding of politics in a foreign country.

So hilarious I'm crying

Will give it a read.

Morrison’s JLA did widescreen way before Authority and Ultimates.

>mark millar
>american

Nobody cares about jla.

Yuropoors can't help showing how stupid they are.

This is accurate. Morrison's JLA was first and then Ellis incorporated his influences into Stormwatch and then transitioned it into Authority and then Millar literally just grabbed the Authority artist for Ultimates and did the same thing because he's a hack.

Authority is more influential than it is good. Stormwatch is fucking awesome.

whatever happened to this? wizard used to hype the heck out of this (even making the authority the winner of their '10 best teams' battle)

Elliswatch was lame and that was the best run

Wildstorm esentially became DC's Ultimate universe and it was trwated as such.

Elliss Millar amd Brubaker had good runs then Morrisons never happened then it wqs morw or less trashed when the eded the Wildstorm universe in worlds end.

The new 52 stormwatch was basicay an authorty run and Midnighter was good in Grayson and the Orlando books

not that you're wrong, but i still liked elliswatch. The Wild Storm slowed to a crawl with the cinematic panels through, and it had potential to be so much better.

Wildstorm was baby's first not big 2 comic for me and i will always treasure it for that (not counting Donald Duck)

That was a long-ass time ago. They rebuilt the universe shortly afterward and everyone he killed came back to life.

Midnighter didn’t rape him, he drilled a jackhammer up his ass.

It lacked the visual elements that Hitch brought to the table in Authority. Just look at the first issue of Authority #1. It's revolutionary in terms of storytelling in comics by how it approaches telling action sequences.

not sure but i know the art is fucking something else

Attached: RCO015.jpg (1042x1600, 425K)

>Cinematic widescreen storytelling in comics
So it completly and eternally ruined the medium? Yikes.

dont be like that

Attached: MIDNIGHTERtrainfight.jpg (1600x1230, 733K)

swift should be a disney princess

Attached: swiftsdisneysong.jpg (1064x1600, 512K)

This guy is way too good to be doing fill ins for a crappy comic like Catwoman... so damn underrated.

Attached: swiftsdisneysong2.jpg (1037x1600, 536K)

Ngl thats pretty based.

Watchmen influenced everything that is wrong with DC

everything about the authority is based mate

Attached: midnighterkevwoofter.png (973x973, 1.73M)

Shut up, Geoff.

Both of these are correct. There were definitely things in Morrison's JLA run that Ellis was inspired by (by 2000 Ellis said the only superhero comic he was reading was Morrison's JLA). And Ellis said he was ready to quit Stormwatch until he saw Bryan Hitch's take on his scripts. Morrison and Porter's work on JLA is kind of the bridge between the Image style to the Hitch widescreen style.

Authority got a lot of buzz (and definitely influenced people in the industry or those that read it and got into the industry), and sales increased under Millar, but it wasn't as widely read as Ultimates and Civil War. But those two Marvel books wouldn't be possible without Ellis/Hitch and Millar's Authority.

Yes and no. There's a bunch of techniques that could be usable but people learn the wrong lessons from it. Just look at every Marvel event after Civil War that somehow managed to be worse than Civil War.

Blockbusters are just bottom of the barrel trash though and comics can and should be more. The example you posted is better and it's something that takes advantage of the comic book format, if you were to adapt it, you'd still need to change the technique like making it a single take. I don't dislike Hitch's work on Authority but not everyone that was inspired by it was as good, hell, he wasn't as good a few years later either.

Influential?
The Authority is pretty successful.

I'd say the only comics to be more influential than it are:
- Ultimate Spider-Man (it created the formula for reboots of the 20th century)
- The Walking Dead (created ongoing zombie genre of the 20th century, and showed black and white comics still have a place in the industry)
- Invincible (invincible showed that comics could be fun again, and still successful)
- Persepolis (it was the re-emergence of the biographical comic)

Besides that, the Authority probably gets credit for how the modern superhero teams are written.

im the guy that said i dont know what it influenced i just know the art was fucking incredible

The widescreen format I can understand taking off when it did because sales for comics were really bad in the late 90's and people were desperate to try anything to bring in new readers, and being like movies really did bring in some new readers.

The biggest problem is when widescreen was combined with even more decompression and it became things that really were boring to read.

> I don't dislike Hitch's work on Authority but not everyone that was inspired by it was as good, hell, he wasn't as good a few years later either.

Hitch's Authority was great to me because it was him still doing a bit of Alan Davis but also doing it in a different storytelling style. Ultimates he started using more photoref and getting a bit more removed from Davis' style, which was okay but could get distracting.