Be yourself

With so many animated movies and shows recurring to the simple "be yourself" message, I'm left to wonder: Is there any kid's cartoon or animated movie that has a "you suck, try to improve" message?

Attached: 2771720_0.jpg (630x630, 64K)

>Is there any kid's cartoon or animated movie that has a "you suck, try to improve" message?
Anime

Why do you think that happens? Are Japanese children expected and educated to be more introspective and personally responsible?

Mob psycho 100 comes to mind

pretty fucking much EVERY be yourself cartoon actually says YOU SUCK DO IMPROVE

>Mulan gets beaten and has to man-up
>Hercules is basically a village freak and has to work his ass off and try to be himself
>kung fu panda had to be humiliated and also work hard till he could finally be himself
how your dumb zoomer mind fails to get that second thing comes from the first one

Attached: 1556029561893.jpg (700x700, 711K)

No Faggot. I get what you mean. Work hard so you can be your better self and whatnot. What I mean is, is there any cartoon that says "your true self is bad and you should change who you are as a person"? Also those examples you list are literally the opposite of what im saying. They already were right, all they had to do was get society to accept their already perfect personalities.

That's stupid. Most people's true self isn't bad and most people whose true self is bad aren't fixable, also there's no such thing as a true self. The secret to overcoming being a shitty person is to stop doing shitty things, Bojack.

So? It's still possible. When someone says "be yourself", that would mean, do the things that you naturally do, as part of your personality. What if those things are inherently shitty? You can stop doing them, as you said. But that wouldn't be "being yourself", is it?

>Most peoples true self isn't bad
We'll have to disagree there, buddy. I think quite a lot of people are inherently "bad" (if such a thing as objective badness even exists). What you just said seems more like a cope that we tell ourselves. "I'm not really bad, I just do shitty things sometimes but that's not me really, it's not my fault"

Are you kidding, or you really don't know? Japan is one of the most self-conscious cultures in the modern world.

I can't make an educated guess since I'm not a FUCKING WEEB but I would assume they are. Asians as a whole always seem to be in a higher plane of awareness.

Dumb zoomer

Monsters university
Also this.

Buddha.
It's about waking up.
One of the things about waking up to reality, everything transforms and changes.

Attached: l-42088-this-isnt-even-my-final-form.jpg (700x598, 29K)

Yeah I think that is it. Western cultures fear a god which they try to please. Eastern philosophy and religion follow the path of getting to know and pleasing one self.

>Monsters University
I guess, although Mike was more misguided than anything else. He didn't suck as a person, but as a scarer, something he didn't realize he wasn't cut out for. And Sulley literally learns to be himself, he tells Mike that at the end of the movie, that he's terrified most of the times and that he tries to be cool for his family name and such

Zootopia

People don't need to be bad to do shitty things, only children think otherwise. If you're convinced you're doing good then from your own perspective you will be a good person even if in reality you're a piece of shit. If you believe people need to be inherently bad to be shitty to others then all you have to do is convince yourself you're not and you can justify anything, and not a lot of people are willing to admit they're not morally perfect.

it is also such a fucking lie.
no one wants you to be yourself, they want you to be sometuing appealing to them

>getting to know and pleasing one self
You mean by working yourself to suicide? Sure sounds like what you described.

If you're a hateful miserable human being then you're right. But for most people the message is to not tryto be someone you're not because you won't find happiness in it just more misery. I do agree that "be yourself" is a terrible way to word it though.

Be yourself doesn't mean limit yourself. It means be your self. To be is to exist. So, exist as your self. There's a lot to that. And, what everyone should strive for is the best possible existence of their self.

>be yourself
>unless it's politically incorrect or you don't fit an abritrary gender norm
>then be someone else

an animated thing with machiavellan ethics would be pretty interesting.

A message doesn't have to apply in every scenario. Not pretending to like things for other peoples approval is not a bad thing to teach to kids same for not trying to fit in with people you have nothing in common with and instead finding people who will bring out the best in you without you having to put up with them.

Are you 12?
>"your true self is bad and you should change who you are as a person"
That's retarded user

I know a lot of dumb millennials who think the message of KFP is "believe in yourself" and it shows a lack of critical thinking
"There is no secret ingredient" = "No shortcuts to success"