Someone found this on eBay. It's some concept artworks for some planned cartoons for the Super Mario Bros Super Show

Someone found this on eBay. It's some concept artworks for some planned cartoons for the Super Mario Bros Super Show.
twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/1125829826970042369

Attached: D5_AQbTWkAAmLNb.jpg (1125x1217, 238K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dTj80onUOV4
nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/weirdness_the_mystery_of_the_mega_man_2_box_art_pistol_is_explained
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: D5_AQbmXsAAkPKQ.jpg (1099x1215, 201K)

why is Samus a guy?

Attached: D5_AQbfWkAEuFpt.jpg (1090x1220, 210K)

Attached: D5_AQbUXkAAyY5e.jpg (1113x1231, 230K)

Surprising how this one is closer to the source material than the actual cartoon it got.

Uh... I'm just going to assume the artist didn't know how to draw women.

Attached: samus cyute.jpg (400x300, 44K)

Oh my god.

These are all terrible aside from Castlevania

I want an animated show for canon loli Samus.

Attached: 00f830fa15c2a5c8a45b87e67d421eaa99b.jpg (1920x1080, 256K)

>They made Samus male to appeal to young male audiences

Attached: 1544162034351.gif (405x414, 181K)

You guys know that the original NES Metroid's instruction manual explicitly referred to Samus as male to hide the surprise at the end that she was a woman?
You guys know that Samus being a woman was still not common knowledge due to the fact Metroid NES was a tough as balls game?
You guys know that the people making these shows couldn't actually be bothered to play the games, let alone complete them, right?

But the Captain N comics got it right

At this point in time, Nintendo of America had the same regard for its properties that Sega has for Sonic now. As long as they got their royalty checks, they couldn't care less how badly licensees raped their characters.

Certainly a lot different from now, where Bowser can't even made a cameo in Wreck it Ralph without Nintendo sending over a stack of stipulations of how he can pick up a cup.

>male Samus
... Look, I know they didn't know, but this still pisses me off.

Because they were written by different people.

Also, as an aside, Samus herself is easily the best part of those comics. That's not even bias, her stuff is just obviously where all the effort went.

Well, they got a whole lineup of first castlevania game bosses and captured the essence of California Games being wacky shit about extreme sports and fun violent casualties at "old Goofy cartoons" level, so at least someone bothered to try them before doing... that. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if that was an intended bait and show would be about Samus pretending to be "the manliest man of manly bountyhunters" to do her job. The most unlikely scenario, but still

>This was the original concept for the Double Dragon cartoon

And yet the Double Dragon that came out was THIS.

Attached: untitled.png (480x360, 185K)

Yeah. The Samus thing is unfortunate but only the Nintendo Comics guys knew about that.

What gets me is that DD gets to be all violent and true to source but Castlevania looks like a rejected Ruby Spears cartoon.

I like that not only is Samus a guy but they changed the helmet so we can see his face, so he looks more "heroic"

What the fuck

Castlevania looks like a shitty B-tier Hotel Transylvania, amazing

>tfw Archie wanted to make a Metroid comic
>tfw Nintendo rejected their pitch because they're paranoid about licensing
>Archie did Mega Man instead
I liked the Mega Man ongoing, but as a Metroid fan, I can't help but wonder...

Boy howdy imagine all the gender bender fan fiction this would have inspired.

And I thought Simon from Captain N looked goofy.

Attached: CD9304DA-264F-4309-8DC2-EC6BE80226DF.jpg (419x734, 196K)

?

Attached: rms.jpg (499x767, 198K)

>Guy Samus
>California Games was actually popular enough to be on the same level as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Castlevania at one point
>Absolutely missing the entire point of Castlevania.
>The only one that actually looks good.
Good fucking lord at least none of these ever got made. Except we got a worse Double Dragon.

At least they never made that dumb cartoon about Sonic and his siblings in a rock band, ha ha ha...

Why is Samus a guy? I know it's a Nintendo cartoon in the 80s and it doesn't give a fuck, but come on.

>Don Martin's Castlevania

Attached: EAFKVaR.jpg (852x1200, 257K)

God damn, I would have watched the fuck out of this.

Unacceptable.

Do not mistake flukes as anything but flukes. Nintendo is still pretty stingy about letting others touch their stuff.

>Ian Flynn
It would be interesting to see if he'd be able to do minimal dialogue, since it's Metroid and all. Narration boxes, maybe?

Stop making me want things that will never happen

I was going to say these all seem too on point to be real, but this looks bad enough to change my mind.

Is it really a fluke if the thing never comes out?

Attached: 2a66bc9f-190d-5870-9639-7c7dae0cf848.jpg (1800x2768, 1.42M)

Are you suggesting Metroid is a girl?

There are at least three metroids who are girls. Depends on whether Samus counts as a metroid.

No, I'm sure she called herself "Mother Brain" just for shits and giggles.
D'oh.

now i gotta go read a bunch of 80s/90s mad and cracked

The artists probably thought that Samus was a guy due to that time period mostly consisting of Rambo and Terminator clones. Since Samus shot things with an arm cannon. It must've been obvious that she was a male. I can't really blame them for that, I doubt most kids back in the 80s successfully beat Metriod.

Hijole. The art is fucking shit. Why do Americans have such low standards for their art?

>Samus was a guy due to that time period mostly consisting of Rambo and Terminator clones.
Funny you should mention that...

Attached: 1468607326-1-metal-gear-terminator[1].jpg (480x350, 53K)

Attached: deuf.jpg (196x272, 15K)

Attached: 1-contra-preadator1[1].jpg (980x653, 147K)

>weeb beaner
Jeezus.

Oh hey it's the ARMS comic that will literally NEVER come out.

I call bullshit. The Power Suit is pretty damn accurate to the OG art (sans that bubble helmet) and that's even a sortof accurate Ridley. They had access to decent official art and probably knew the story as well. Male Samus was likely an executive decision.

Attached: NESMetroidsuit.jpg (768x1024, 81K)

How did they get to this? Like how did that game of telephone go.

>probably knew the story as well
Doubt it actually. A lot of artists who drew this kind of material never heard of the game or played it.
A good example of this is the MM2 box art. The artist was shown a beta copy of the game. Artist wanted to know what megaman was shooting so he just assumed it was a pistol because he didn't see a rifle.
And so we got this beauty.

Attached: large[1].jpg (364x512, 61K)

And that's NOT the first time they got megaman's weapon wrong.

Attached: megamanbox[1].jpg (400x550, 88K)

I guess you can't blame him with the limited knowledge available, when you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras. At least the art itself isn't like, this

>bubble helmet
To be honest, I would love to see a raygun gothic style spinoff or something.

Thing is, not knowing isn't really an excuse. There's this thing called 'research'. They should've confirmed all the details with Nintendo.

Fun short AVGN video on this. It's part of a series of bad game cover art. They're all pretty good videos.
youtube.com/watch?v=dTj80onUOV4

The one about Phalanx was classic.

>Thing is, not knowing isn't really an excuse. There's this thing called 'research'. They should've confirmed all the details with Nintendo.
Don't take my word for it. There was an interview with the guy who drew it available here:
nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/weirdness_the_mystery_of_the_mega_man_2_box_art_pistol_is_explained

Unironically looks good, better than what we got in fact. Although of course, the intro would probably have been the best thing about it.

This is all well and good except your well-known anecdote doesn't fit given how mostly accurate that art is. Even Captain N's Power Suit wasn't that accurate and they did know the twist ending

That's supposed to be Ridley? I thought it was some generic bug alien or something. It doesn't even have wings.

Ugh. We dodged a bullet here.

Harry Grimoire in Darkstalkers doesn't seem so bad now, eh?

>The DeviantArt TG community has joined the chat

Well considering how rare and obscure this art is, there's a good chance we may never know for sure. We only just heard about the story behind the megaman 2 box art fairly recently compared to how long the game's been around. It took over 30 years to get the story behind that and people have been curious about it and known about it all over. So for something a bit more obscure tracking down the artist may be impossible.
You'd have to find someone from DIC who knows about the super show or worked on it.

I would kill for a good Metroid ongoing.

Ignorant idiots

Holy shit, there were plans for a Metroid cartoon?!
>opens thumbnail
... Okay, maybe we dodged a bullet there.

Belmont Bros

What a miserable pile of secretions